Will Juventus disappoint in Europe again

Juventus are back where they deserve to be - in the Champions league. The most successful team in Serie A (with an amazing 27 titles to their name) suffered the ignominy of relegation from the Italian top flight following scandalous accusations of match fixing and referee tampering. But following promotion the next season, the side have managed to qualify for the top competition in Europe again despite selling many of their star players.

So how will they fare? Despite being the most successful in Italian history and having represented their country more than any other club in the Champions league and the European cup (CL in it's previous guise), the clubs success in the premier competition has been reasonably poor. Despite being regular representatives for Italy, the club have a paltry 2 champions league titles to show for all their exploits. Despite being perennial representatives, Juve's exploits have been greatly overshadowed by the success of one of their main Serie A rivals AC Milan. Despite having been involved in far fewer Champions league/European Cup campaigns the Rossoneri have been much more successful than their illustrious rivals, amassing an impressive 7 European champions league crowns. Even Inter Milan have managed 2 Champions league titles (albeit some time ago).

So why has a side who has been dominant domestically (at various times) and has boasted some of the best players to ever play the game (Platini, Baggio, Zidane, Zoff, Buffon, Rossi, Vialli and Nedved just to name a few) failed to deliver on so many occasions. Perhaps the age old excuse of concentrating on the league? Traditionally few teams have failed to win the CL and their domestic league in the same season. Perhaps too many stars and primaddonas? Perhaps bad luck? What's for sure is that the Juve fans must find it irksome that their main domestic rivals (AC Milan) have achieved so much more on the world's top stage. It's about time Juventus mount a serious attempt to win the best club competition in the world. But how soon can we expect such a challenge? Only time will tell. Will they ever be able to emulate the exploits of their Milanese neighbours?

EDIT: How could I forget Del Piero :o

Re: Will Juventus disappoint in Europe again

Juventus are back where they deserve to be - in the Champions league. The most successful team in Serie A (with an amazing 27 titles to their name) suffered the ignominy of relegation from the Italian top flight following scandalous accusations of match fixing and referee tampering. But following promotion the next season' date=' the side have managed to qualify for the top competition in Europe again despite selling many of their star players.

So how will they fare? Despite being the most successful in Italian history and having represented their country more than any other club in the Champions league and the European cup (CL in it's previous guise), the clubs success in the premier competition has been reasonably poor. Despite being regular representatives for Italy, the club have a paltry 2 champions league titles to show for all their exploits. Despite being perennial representatives, Juve's exploits have been greatly overshadowed by the success of one of their main Serie A rivals AC Milan. Despite having been involved in far fewer Champions league/European Cup campaigns the Rossoneri have been much more successful than their illustrious rivals, amassing an impressive 7 European champions league crowns. Even Inter Milan have managed 2 Champions league titles (albeit some time ago).

So why has a side who has been dominant domestically (at various times) and has boasted some of the best players to ever play the game (Platini, Baggio, Zidane, Zoff, Buffon, Rossi, Vialli and Nedved just to name a few) failed to deliver on so many occasions. Perhaps the age old excuse of concentrating on the league? Traditionally few teams have failed to win the CL and their domestic league in the same season. Perhaps too many stars and primaddonas? Perhaps bad luck? What's for sure is that the Juve fans must find it irksome that their main domestic rivals (AC Milan) have achieved so much more on the world's top stage. It's about time Juventus mount a serious attempt to win the best club competition in the world. But how soon can we expect such a challenge? Only time will tell. Will they ever be able to emulate the exploits of their Milanese neighbours?[/quote']

I like juve del boy my fave footy player but i do think they will flop in euroup and go into uefa unless they get a very easy group they need young tallent nedved buffon del boy getting old.

I think they will go as far as the final, and will put a cheeky little fiver on it soon. Might get some good odds considering the circumstances. :o

They've got a good squad, and if they keep hold of Buffon, Chiellini, Camoran, Nedved, Sissoko, Tiago (believe it or not), Delpi et al they will go far. There is experience and passion. Plus add a couple of players for depth. Oh, and a top class defender - the star in defence right now is a Siena average player, if you like, which is not good. Anyway, doesn't matter who he was playing for - he's not got the quality. Actually make that two, add the ex Siena loanee to the list - just not of the level :D

I dont think they will disappoint if they make the right signings in the Transfer Window i can see them having a nice campaign this season, yeah youth is needed squad is quite old, but some good signings good see them get back to there dominant selves but Garcia stopped em last time :D

I share the sentiments of most here. Some of the best football I witnessed in my youth was that played by Juvetus teams of yesteryear. I also feel Juventus could well be the dark horses of next year's competition and almost certainly the most likely of the Italian contingent to succeed.

Even with the players they have and the young players out on loan to various clubs in Italy, they will be contenders. Other Juventus enthusiasts may disagree, but I feel it may be better that Juve don't try and sign too many top stars and go with the promisig players they have. This may prove a more likely way to success for them in the years to come than the traditional superstar teams they serve up.

Guest melbguy1

I'm not too sure if Juve really ever really disapointed their fans in the CL. Yes we have only won a meesly 2:o but one thing that you didn't mention was that Juve made 3 CL finals in a row... i think somewhere around 95-98 and that was the team that you were talking about, the one with some of the best football ever seen (I'm sure Man U supporters remember that Juve side :)).

yeah yeah, I know we only won 1 of them but to make the final 3 times in a row in a knockout competition as well as win the scudetto is a good showing. Fast forward a few years and a undermanned Juve squad knockout Real Madrid in the semi's (what a game!) and make it to the final, albeit one that they really didn't deserve to be in except for the exploits of Buffon (who won CL player of the tournament).

And to be honest, just before the 'scandal' Juve had a awesome squad ready to mount another '3 year attack', you just have to look at the top 5 Serie A scorers this season and you'll get an understanding on what sort of squad they had:eek:

Now fast forward to today.... Juve has been just fantastic this season, with all things considered... Juve didn't come 3rd due to the skill of the squad by because of the leadership of their top 5 players. If Juve's momentum moves into next year and into the CL they may cause some upsets... but due to their stars ages I don't think they can consistently play in 2 comps next season and so I don't think they can be classified as CL title contenders.

Why? Because their squad isn't deep enough to go all-in for the scudetto and the CL. Juve, historically, is not like a LFC, where they choose the CL over their domestic competition... Juve fans have never been big fans of that.. So as long as Juve's main aim next season is the scudetto I can't see them doing 'too' well in the CL.

Also, I don't want to get too excited as we still need to qualify for the CL and I can't have my heart broken.... again:(

But yes, results say that Juve have been a disapointment in the CL, but a closer look may make it look a little different, depending on which way you look at it, my view is biased on this one:).

EDIT: and it's 29 scudetto's ;)

yeah yeah' date=' I know we only won 1 of them but to make the final 3 times in a row in a knockout competition as well as win the scudetto is a good showing. Fast forward a few years and a undermanned Juve squad knockout Real Madrid in the semi's (what a game!) and make it to the final, albeit one that they really didn't deserve to be in except for the exploits of Buffon (who won CL player of the tournament).

And to be honest, just before the 'scandal' Juve had a awesome squad ready to mount another '3 year attack', you just have to look at the top 5 Serie A scorers this season and you'll get an understanding on what sort of squad they had:eek:

Now fast forward to today.... Juve has been just fantastic this season, with all things considered... Juve didn't come 3rd due to the skill of the squad by because of the leadership of their top 5 players. If Juve's momentum moves into next year and into the CL they may cause some upsets... but due to their stars ages I don't think they can consistently play in 2 comps next season and so I don't think they can be classified as CL title contenders.

Why? Because their squad isn't deep enough to go all-in for the scudetto and the CL. Juve, [b']historically, is not like a LFC, where they choose the CL over their domestic competition... Juve fans have never been big fans of that[/b].. So as long as Juve's main aim next season is the scudetto I can't see them doing 'too' well in the CL.

Also, I don't want to get too excited as we still need to qualify for the CL and I can't have my heart broken.... again:(

But yes, results say that Juve have been a disapointment in the CL, but a closer look may make it look a little different, depending on which way you look at it, my view is biased on this one:).

EDIT: and it's 29 scudetto's ;)

Makes me laugh when you always have to fetch LFC into the equation ,We won 4 of them when we were winning the league nearly every season so again get your facts right its not me thats blind ;) its you with blinkers on where LFC are concerned,also since then in England the tide of change has come to our shores more than Italy ,the premiership has become big bucks and its a big buisness now not a sport even though we like to believe with the Millionaires coming in even to take over the smaller clubs ,they see profit margins wheras you got the sharks with the money laundring, backhanders and match rigging :P ,;)

for instance when we won the 4 it was champions only that entered then the greed and money came into the equation with the threat of G14 and breaking away to form their own European super league so now we have 3-4 entries out of the top countries ,so you can lose to a team in a group stage twice but still could have a chance of finishing second and beat them in the final ,we have all come to accept this absurd intrusion and changing of what was and we still class as the greatest club trophy you can win .

Rafa gets accused of picking the CL over the league yet this season when we started well out the blocks and we were actually sitting pretty just 3 points behind Arsenal near the end of November what happened to distract him from what we are all craving for ,we were just about out of the CL given no hope except by the never say die scousers ,yet this would have proberly been better for our title challenge if we had actually already gone out at this stage ,

Why ?

Because this is when media reports came out about the new owners meeting with that nice guy Klinsman to replace Rafa and thats because they were going to miss out on the extra millions advancing in the CL fetch ,like i said they havnt come in it for titles its a buisness money in the boardroom does the talking .

So all of a sudden focus is put on getting further in CL ,after all it was the money we made out of this that bought Torres ,and who is to say that if Rafa want to buy players each season then its the progress and money they make in it that gives him is budget at the start for players,for its certainly not the owners dipping in their pockets,they dont even like each other.:mad:

Just look at Chelsea they got rid of a great manager because the money they gave him didnt get the Golden chalice with all the millions that come with it and prestige round the globe ,even though he fetched them the title a few times and domestic cups ,yet the irony of it is his team may actually win it on Wed .:D

Anyway back to thread ,Glad Juve is back where they belong .:)

Guest melbguy1

Nah mate, it really shouldn't make you laugh, I have a valid point there and the rest of your post actually backs the statement up :)

The stuff that your describing that's happening to the EPL was had by the Serie A almost 20 years ago now. So if you want to look into the future take a good look at the Serie A.... if your lucky :) The tide hasn't fully turned as everyone says, although the EPL did get some big waves since Chelsea came about, before that English clubs were average.

The EPL can continue to have full access to the African Continent, Eastern Europe and go 60/40 with main land europe and turn those players into superstars with marketing and the best broadcast available which is run by the same dude that shows the games as well as owns most of the news outlets.... so he feeds you guys exactly what he wants you to hear.... which makes him $'s.

Where as Italy can stick with their pool of wonderful local talent as well as great access to both Brazil and Argentinan pool of talent along with 40/60 of mainland europe, and it seems to be where all the World Cup winners come from dating back to a long long time :)

But yeah, fully agree with the rest of your post, but it says that LFC is currently (and for ages) a poor side domestically that cannot keep up with the big boys, so they are forced to go the CL route only because they aren't good/deep/powerful enough to even compete for the title. You may say LFC started hot off the block this season, but they coudln't sustain it because they simply are not good enough.

As for LFC beeing dominant in both, let's look at a period when soccer boots were actually worn and the EPL existed?.. lol

Juventus

CL 1996 - winners: Serie A - 2nd

CL 1997 - runners up: Serie A - winners

CL 1998 - runners up: Serie A - winners

CL 2001 - runners up: Serie A - winners

LFC

CL 2005 - winners: EPL - 5th and failed to qualify for CL**

CL 2007 - runners up: EPL - 3rd > 20 points behind

** actually LFC did end up qualifying by sooking, crying and stamping their feet and forced UEFA to change the rules.. but yeah, strong hand tactics are restricted to only Italy :rolleyes:

So back to the thread:) I don't see Juve going down the LFC route and making a mockery of the CL by focusing all of it's resources on it, but will focus domestically and build up a squad that is good enough to win both titles, the way the CL should and was meant to be played.

You will know when the time has come as thats when the President will say 'I want the CL this year'.

:o I just don't like LFC, nothing against Crazy as his post made a lot of sense:o

Juventus has been an amazing club for ages even after its relegation.

A few greedy officials of the clubs took that move that hindered the image of it.

The fans and possibly the players were betrayed, but they bounced back in style-Winning Serie B and getting third spot in the league.

These are clubs that have roots extending for several decades.

Analysing the players they used for last season, they are nothing special.

They are the same that got relegated with the club plus few additions that can't be classified as world class.

They've all grown by 2 years- Buffon, Nedved, Trezegol, Del Piero etc

Yet they delivered.

Are you aware that during last season-

1) Juventus defeated Inter Milan(eventual champions)- Home and Away ?

2) None of the other top teams (AC Milan and AS Roma) managed to defeat them ?

3) They reached to the quarterfinal of the Coppa Italia ?

In football, they say the team that defeats ALL the lower clubs (Parma , Livorno , Cagliari ,Siena , Torino , Reggina etc.) wins the league.

Juventus failed to do that so it prevented from winning the Scudetto.

You realise the team spirit and that behind the walls of the stadium still exists.

So why can't they give Europe's top club a game for their money?

I'm sure they'll make further additions to the squad that'll suit the European stage.

And they might not win the cup but prove to doubters that they are back in the game.

Long Live Italian football !!!

It will be an interesting one to watch how they progress in Europe. I think they will do ok only if they make some good signings and clear out some of the deadwood. They need to not make signing like Tiago and Sissoko, Tiago needs to be sold!! he is not worth they money that he would be getting paid!!..I think they should bring in Hamsik and sensational youth player for napoli this season, though i doubt napoli would let him go.

Are you aware that during last season-

1) Juventus defeated Inter Milan(eventual champions)- Home and Away ?

2) None of the other top teams (AC Milan and AS Roma) managed to defeat them ?

Milan beat Inter 2-1 in the last game but Inter beat Milan 2-1 in December.

Juve beat Inter in the most recent game 2-1 but they drew 1-1 in November.

In february Inter and Roma drew 1-1 and in the early game this season' date=' Roma lost 4-1.

So no I personally wasnt aware of the points you made :o

You also mentioned something about the stadium.

Juve are now playing in the Stadio Olimpico again. They had been playing in the Stadio Delle Alpi from 1990/91 season until the 2005/06 season.

So its not really the same team spirit behind the walls of the stadium :D

Melbguy you said:

Juventus

CL 1996 - winners: Serie A - 2nd

CL 1997 - runners up: Serie A - winners

CL 1998 - runners up: Serie A - winners

CL 2001 - runners up: Serie A - winners

When I over those years it was actually:

1995–96 Juventus UEFA Champions League winners and Italian Super Cup winners

1996–97 Juventus Serie A winners, European Super Cup winners, Intercontinental Cup winners and Italian Super Cup winners

1997–98 Juventus Serie A winners

1998–99

Just a few little stats I found that werent really correct ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I think that Juve will have a few consecutive seasons where they make the top 4 in the Serie A but because of the Stadio Olimpico holding just around 27,000 fans and Juve with this new team with fewer stars, I dont think will make it past the Quarter finals unless they get a fairly easy run, IE games such as Fenerbahce etc.

I have no doubts that Juve will have cash pumped into putting them back into the Serie A title race but I think that they will not really push for the CL even if they could just yet. They will be more concerned about stopping Inter break their record 27 Scudetto's (29 although the two were deducted and given to Inter :confused:).

Milan beat Inter 2-1 in the last game but Inter beat Milan 2-1 in December.

Juve beat Inter in the most recent game 2-1 but they drew 1-1 in November.

In february Inter and Roma drew 1-1 and in the early game this season' date=' Roma lost 4-1.

So no I personally wasnt aware of the points you made :o

You also mentioned something about the stadium.

Juve are now playing in the Stadio Olimpico again. They had been playing in the Stadio Delle Alpi from 1990/91 season until the 2005/06 season.

So its not really the same team spirit behind the walls of the stadium :D

[/quote']

Thats a good one;)

Maybe I made a mistake with the Inter-Juve games.

But the rest were ok.

I said Milan and AS Roma never defeated Juventus last season.

A draw is still part of the context;)

What I meant is despite Juventus coming from Serie B, none of the top teams managed to defeat them.

So they are still fit to meet stronger teams:)

With the walls- I didn't mean the actual ones made of cement , stones and sand- But its a metaphor saying they have that spirit when playing at home.

Like Arsenal changed their stadium recently but the fan base/support still exists with the encouraging atmosphere;)

Avete capito quello che voglio dire signore?

I think they have to bring in fresh blood really.

This year they relied HEAVILY on both Nedved and del Piero' date=' and I dont think those two will be able to last another full campaign. del Piero is 34, and Nedved will be turning 36 so they will need to be replaced.[/quote']

Del Piero is 33.

Nedved's performances have gone down a bit this year - 2 years ago he was everything.

However I disagree with the Alex comment. He is currently playing the best football of his career. Also, he does not need to last a whole season. You'll get 30 games out of him, which is good. Then you have Trezeguet, Iaquinta and Amauri who are all world class too. In attack they don't have a problem. THe problem is in defense.

Alot of people have been downplaying Juventus's chances of acheiving somthing in this competetion next season. My response to that is why? Even though they have lost alot of their big names, they have qualified for next season's competition hugely on merit (if you see what I'm saying), for they have the joined best defence and the joined best attack in the league. Their defensive attributes have been hugely down to the efforts of Italian international Gianluigi Buffon. I don't think anyone can deny he is the best goalkeeper in Europe at the moment, and I am sure he will star for Italy at EURO. They also boast the best front two paring in Italy, and one of the best in Europe, France's David Trezeguet and Italian second striker Alessandro Del Piero. They are the top two scorers in Serie A this season and I am certain they will be key, along with Buffon, in Juventus's Champions League quest. So long as they don't draw Barcelona, Liverpool or Arseal in the qualifying round they will definately go through to the group stage, and I hope they do.

My only concern is that the Italian match fixing scandal in 2006 still means they are finantially waaaaaaay behind other European big names, if were already not trailing beforehand. All this talk of "Making the right signings" and "buying a star name" not an option. IT WON'T HAPPEN!!! They will have to rely largely on their own resources in order to fill whatever holes they have. That's not to say they won't sign anyone at all, because that isn't true, but that they haven't got the finantial side of things to do that. So much so they only opened a Juventus merchandise shop outside of Italy a few days ago which clearly shows they are moviung in the right direction, but won't feel the hard earned money for quite some time.

So my conclusion is that Juventus have an excellent chance to make up for lost ground, but will have a huige task of competing with the likes of Man Uts, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Alot of people have been downplaying Juventus's chances of acheiving somthing in this competetion next season. My response to that is why? Even though they have lost alot of their big names' date=' they have qualified for next season's competition hugely on merit (if you see what I'm saying), for they have the joined best defence and the joined best attack in the league. Their defensive attributes have been hugely down to the efforts of Italian international Gianluigi Buffon. I don't think anyone can deny he is the best goalkeeper in Europe at the moment, and I am sure he will star for Italy at EURO. They also boast the best front two paring in Italy, and one of the best in Europe, France's David Trezeguet and Italian second striker Alessandro Del Piero. They are the top two scorers in Serie A this season and I am certain they will be key, along with Buffon, in Juventus's Champions League quest. So long as they don't draw Barcelona, Liverpool or Arseal in the qualifying round they will definately go through to the group stage, and I hope they do.

My only concern is that the Italian match fixing scandal in 2006 still means they are finantially waaaaaaay behind other European big names, if were already not trailing beforehand. All this talk of "Making the right signings" and "buying a star name" not an option. IT WON'T HAPPEN!!! They will have to rely largely on their own resources in order to fill whatever holes they have. That's not to say they won't sign anyone at all, because that isn't true, but that they haven't got the finantial side of things to do that. So much so they only opened a Juventus merchandise shop outside of Italy [b']a few days ago which clearly shows they are moviung in the right direction, but won't feel the hard earned money for quite some time.

So my conclusion is that Juventus have an excellent chance to make up for lost ground, but will have a huige task of competing with the likes of Man Uts, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Good post. I believe Juvetus will be spared the ignimony of being unseeded in the CL draw and should make it into the group stages. After that anything could happen. I also believe your use of the words lost ground are apt. I was amazed to see the effect of missing two seasons in Europe on the UEFA coefficients. I also wonder about the tables themselves when I see the likes of Newcastle (no offence Welshman wherever you are) and AZ Alkmaar above Juventus now :eek:

UEFA Team Ranking/Coefficients 2008

.......................................03/04...04/05....05/06....06/07.....07/08........ranking 08/09

1 Chelsea (Eng).................22.7125..25.1385..17.7610..28.4860..30.8985........124.996

2 AC Milan (Ita)................ 16.9285..31.6200..26.0675..27.9360..17.3825........119.934

3 Liverpool (Eng)............... 14.7125..30.1385..17.7610..29.4860..26.8985........118.996

4 FC Barcelona (Esp).......... 16.7230..17.1040..34.1620..20.2700..29.5785........117.837

5 Arsenal (Eng)................. 17.7125..19.1385..31.7610..18.4860..23.8985........110.996

6 Manchester Utd (Eng)...... 15.7125..17.1385..12.7610..27.4860..34.8985........107.996

7 Sevilla (Esp).................... 4.7230..16.1040..30.1620..31.2700..20.5785........102.837

8 Olympique Lyon (Fra)........18.4550..23.7710..24.5680..18.3000..14.2860........99.380

9 Internazionale (Ita)..........15.9285..22.6200..24.0675..16.9360..17.3825........96.934

10 Real Madrid (Esp).......... 21.7230..18.1040..17.1620..20.2700..16.5785.........93.837

11 Bayern München (Ger).... 10.5555..19.4885..17.4440..20.1350..24.4550.........92.078

12 PSV Eindhoven (Ned)...... 17.7875..24.9600..13.5025..17.7105..17.6500.........91.610

13 Villarreal (Esp)............... 20.7230..22.1040..24.1620...6.2700..17.5785.........90.837

14 Newcastle Utd (Eng)....... 24.7125..27.1385...4.7610..22.4860...5.8985.........84.996

15 Valencia (Esp)............... 29.7230..14.1040...5.1620..23.2700..11.5785.........83.837

16 AS Roma (Ita)............... 12.9285...8.6200..19.0675..20.9360..20.3825.........81.934

17 FC Porto (Por)............... 26.3825..13.6950...8.8150..15.6675..16.6160.........81.176

18 Benfica (Por)................. 13.3825..13.6950..17.8150..18.6675..13.6160.........77.176

19 Werder Bremen (Ger)........ 1.5555..16.4885..14.4440..24.1350..17.4550.........74.078

20 AZ Alkmaar (Ned)............. 1.7875..27.9600..13.5025..18.7105...7.6500.........69.610

21 Sporting Lisbon (Por)......... 8.3825..25.6950...3.8150...9.6675..19.6160.........67.176

22 Schalke 04 (Ger).............. 6.5555..13.4885..24.4440...5.1350..17.4550.........67.078

23 Juventus (Ita)................ 12.9285..23.6200..23.0675..3.9360...3.3825.........66.934

24 Glasgow Rangers (Sco)...... 6.4335...7.5675..13.4025..15.2275..23.3825.........66.013

25 Marseille (Fra)................. 24.4550...3.7710..15.5680...5.3000..14.2860.........63.380

26 Espanyol (Esp).................. 4.7230...4.1040..14.1620..35.2700...4.5785.........62.837

27 Z. St. Petersburg (Rus)....... 1.9385..11.3000..20.3000...2.1860..24.7125.........60.437

28 CSKA Moscow (Rus)........... 1.9385..27.3000..10.3000..12.1860...7.7125.........59.437

My only concern is that the Italian match fixing scandal in 2006 still means they are finantially waaaaaaay behind other European big names' date=' if were already not trailing beforehand. All this talk of "Making the right signings" and "buying a star name" not an option. IT WON'T HAPPEN!!! They will have to rely largely on their own resources in order to fill whatever holes they have. That's not to say they won't sign anyone at all, because that isn't true, but that they haven't got the finantial side of things to do that. So much so they only opened a Juventus merchandise shop outside of Italy [b']a few days ago which clearly shows they are moviung in the right direction, but won't feel the hard earned money for quite some time.

They're sniffing around players like Xabi Alonso and Jean Makoun, and Ranieri is even still dropping Lampard hints (although I really can't see that one happening), so they obviously have some money to spend, even if they can't compete with the heavyweights of England and Spain. As they get more competitive, the financial side will sort itself out as long as they're sensible with their spending for a while.

They don't need to spend that much anyway. They will have Andrade and Mellberg at CB next season, and Grygera is a quality RB imo (I might want a new LB though if I was Ranieri). That looks a hell of a lot more promising for them than Legrottaglie and Chiellini. With Buffon behind them, they shouldn't concede too many next year, and they will always get goals with Trezeguet and Del Piero up front and Iaquinta and Amauri as backup. The wide positions are fine for now, although Nedved is a shadow of his former self (but still pretty impressive for a shadow). They just need someone in the middle to link the defence and attack, and with Liverpool seemingly searching for midfielders, Xabi might be a realistic option. They still own Giovinco too I think, who could inject some flair and creativity to the midfield if Ranieri wants to use him. Next season will be a good one for them.

They won't win the CL, but they have a good chance of making the last 8 depending on the draw... and they're my cheeky tip for the scudetto too. :P

• 1 month later...

The only big spending Juve will try and do to win is not on players ;)

It will probably depend on how the EPL sides play, except Milan (not even in it) the Italian sides have seemed way to weak against the EPL sides over recent years.

When the big teams from EPL - La Liga meet its usually a close game over the 2 legs and its normally the home side which wins each match (albiet not always)

were as when the EPL clubs have taken on those from Serie A, the EPL club wins home and away, which is obviously a big gap and not a close game and apparently I hear would have been undoable :D;)

Guest melbguy1

The only big spending Juve will try and do to win is not on players ;)

whoa... ?...

It will probably depend on how the EPL sides play' date=' except Milan (not even in it) the Italian sides have seemed way to weak against the EPL sides over recent years.

When the big teams from EPL - La Liga meet its usually a close game over the 2 legs and its normally the home side which wins each match (albiet not always)

were as when the EPL clubs have taken on those from Serie A, the EPL club wins home and away, which is obviously a big gap and not a close game and apparently I hear would have been [b']undoable[/b] :D;)

Yeah well, I don't think Juve has had too much trouble with EPL clubs over the years, and we are talking about JUVE on this thread, although the 3 Italian clubs were relatively unlucky against their EPL opponents in last seasons CL.

After all the poo that I have been posting on this thread about Juve's honour in keeping the CL spirit alive by putting local competition over CL glory appears to be misguided for now:o Our president has come out on more then one occasion since to state that if he had to choose between the 2 he would choose the CL championship.

Oh well, I would really HATE it if Juve went down the LFC route and make a mockery of such a wonderful competition.

Yeah well' date=' I don't think Juve has had too much trouble with EPL clubs over the years, and we are talking about JUVE on this thread, although the 3 Italian clubs were relatively unlucky against their EPL opponents in last seasons CL.[/quote']

yeah although last time you was in it I think LFC knocked you out, we was worse then than we are now with players like Biscan and co

After all the poo that I have been posting on this thread about Juve's honour in keeping the CL spirit alive by putting local competition over CL glory appears to be misguided for now:o Our president has come out on more then one occasion since to state that if he had to choose between the 2 he would choose the CL championship.

yeah I hate that aswell I wish we would go after the league before the CL' date=' money talks for clubs tho im affraid.

Oh well, I would really HATE it if Juve went down the LFC route and make a mockery of such a wonderful competition.

Yeah totally agree, they have already done that with Serie A and there great history, I hope they dont do the same to the CL :(

Guest melbguy1

yeah although last time you was in it I think LFC knocked you out' date=' we was worse then than we are now with players like Biscan and co[/quote']

don't remember and cba looking it up, i just don't remember too much trouble against EPL clubs... except for the thugs in the stands:rolleyes:

yeah I hate that aswell I wish we would go after the league before the CL, money talks for clubs tho im affraid.

that is a real shame... hopefully Juve can stay on the right track and not turn into an American Franchise just chasing the $'s for 'the man'

Yeah totally agree, they have already done that with Serie A and there/(their) great history, I hope they dont do the same to the CL :(

Yeah well, spot on... difference between us and LFC though is that we have been punished for it... on a huge scale.

p.s I fixed up a grammatical error for you;)

At the end of the day we need some more descent signings then what we have done already, we need a M and a D.

don't remember and cba looking it up' date=' i just don't remember too much trouble against EPL clubs... except for the thugs in the stands:rolleyes: [/quote']

Yeah I dont think we should go into the crowd thing tho as it will go wayyyy of track plus in Italy over previous years im sure its alot worse than in England (didnt some fans die? :confused: )

that is a real shame... hopefully Juve can stay on the right track and not turn into an American Franchise just chasing the $'s for 'the man'

yea good point I hope they dont go down that route either mate

Yeah well' date=' spot on... difference between us and LFC though is that we have been punished for it... on a huge scale.[/quote']

Yeah although if you are comparing what Juve did to LFC trying to get back into the CL because they was "the champions" .... lol yea its the same thing :rolleyes:

p.s I fixed up a grammatical error for you;)

cheers mate :)

At the end of the day we need some more descent signings then what we have done already' date=' we need a M and a D.[/quote']

Yeah, Alonso was supposed to be coming although I think its off now, shame because hes a great player on form, had a poor season for us last year but hes a class act especially in the CL

You better be careful of this Serie A supporter:D

If my work , hadn't kept me busy , i would have stayed all day arguing with you melbbuy1:p

Back to the topic , which i participated in its early posts , Juventus can bounce back , but they need a few seasons to return to their former spending abilities.

I hope you agree with me melbguy1 for the first time?;)

Guest melbguy1

You better be careful of this Serie A supporter:D

If my work ' date=' hadn't kept me busy , i would have stayed all day arguing with you melbbuy1:p

Back to the topic , which i participated in its early posts , Juventus can bounce back , but they need a few seasons to return to their former spending abilities.

I hope you agree with me melbguy1 for the first time?;)[/quote']

:D si io ho capito :)

Yes, I'll agree with that, but don't get me wrong, I'll am more then prepared to be proven wrong and they bounce back next year:) . But yes, your previous posts are spot on as well, Juve have been nothing but spectacular and amazing the last couple of years... shame SM and 'some' (ok, most) forumers don't know anything about it.

And although we haven't won any serious silverware for the past 2 years it has been one of the great times to be a Juve supporter.

:D si io ho capito :)

Yes' date=' I'll agree with that, but don't get me wrong, I'll am more then prepared to be proven wrong and they bounce back next year:) . But yes, your previous posts are spot on as well, Juve have been nothing but spectacular and amazing the last couple of years... shame SM and 'some' (ok, most) forumers don't know anything about it.

And although we haven't won any serious silverware for the past 2 years it has been one of the great times to be a Juve supporter.[/quote']

tbh tho I have not seen any forumers say Juve have not been excellent since the scandal, as for SM for a team that was in the second tier of a lesser league I think the ratings were rather generious and now they are back in serie A the ratings will go back up again (think some have already) and when they start playing in the CL they will raise even higher (or at least they should anyways).