• Italy
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Holland
    • Czech Republic
    • Sweden
    • Croatia

Re: Euro 2008

How could we be so naive to let Turkey score after our late goal?!! I still don't get it! We were in semis and now we are going home.

Everything was against us yesterday. 3-4 quality chances which were easier to score than to miss were ruined.

And what to say about Turkey?! The probability of this scenario - 3 matches of coming back so late in the game. You might say they never give up and they fight till the end but a lot of teams do that and still they sometimes don't succeed.

After their goal I knew that they are going to the semifinal because it was a massive shock for our players.

We played good throughout the tournament but our attack was our soft spot, imo. Petric was totally out of form after his injury, Klasnic plays good considering what he went through but he is not the old one yet. We were stuck with Olic. We must give him the credit for speed and distance covered on every game but he is not the type of striker that will do well when we have the initiative, that will participate in creating chances.

Anyway, some players will definitely say goodbye to our national team after Euro, but a lot of them are young players and can only be better for the next competition.

Guest King Kolo

You only have too look at the incidents involving goalkeeping and the woodwork to understand that they were lucky in their last 2 games.

At least they can hit the woodwork let alone take a penalty off target from 12 yards out.

Firstly,congratulations to Turkey for their victory.

I just watched recording of CRO-TUR and could say that it was obviously that Croatian player was ready to come but the 4th referee didn't accept that.(same goes for the extra time in 2nd overtime)

I really hoped to see great football between GER-CRO but that won't happen. :(

I'm really looking fowards to tonights game, both the Dutch and Russians play good attacking football, so I hope for plenty of goals. However the I think the dutch will win because they have the extra class over the Russians.

I think the Dutch will have to wary of the Russian fullbacks as they love to get foward, and the Russians need to watch the speed of Dutch attacks.

Well i do think that Germany will be a bit to strong for Turkey. Turan will also be missing in the game. :( The thing i really like about Turkey is their fighting sprit and their 'never give up never say die' attitude. Turkey may not make it to the finals but if there is one team that reallty deserves to win this' date=' imo, it's Turkey. ;):)[/quote']

Thank you for pointing this out. This is what I'm talking about. People said it's to bad Turkey won and Turkey didn't deserve to win. I asked why (and nobody replied) and pointed out some of the points you just made. But thank you so much for telling people this because this makes a team deserve to win, what else does?

Yes' date=' but I'm asking for specific situations with luck. I want to know why you're saying Turkey were lucky.[/quote']

I don't believe in luck anyway.

So for me, Turkey weren't lucky. They won because they equalised in extra time and because Croatia missed two penalties and had one saved. Simple.

Yes' date=' but I'm asking for specific situations with luck. I want to know why you're saying Turkey were lucky.[/quote']

It doesn't matter anymore. :P

We can argue about this for hours but it won't matter anything.Croatia was better but wasn't concrete in their chances.

Congratulations to Turkey!

It doesn't matter anymore. :P

We can argue about this for hours but it won't matter anything.Croatia was better but wasn't concrete in their chances.

Congratulations to Turkey!

What you're saying is correct and I agree but in what you're saying I could say Turkey wasn't trying to be better. Croatia were attacking and Turkey weren't due to the situation of their players and their tactics.

And please I just want some examples of luck because it's been spoken of so many times and I still haven't been given an example.

And about the substitution. Rustu took the kick before Bilic asked for the substitution. I'm sure that Bilic wanted to sub in there but Rustu took the kick before he could get the chance.

Aragones turns up the heat before Italy clash by saying that Gattuso is not a great player.

"To say that Gattuso is a great player, I would not agree," he said.

"Italy have several Gattusos but only one Pirlo. If Gattuso is a great player, then I'm a priest."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/7371371.stm

I can sort of see where he is coming from but there's no need for it really. I really dislike this racist and hope Italy teach Spain a lesson.

What you're saying is correct and I agree but in what you're saying I could say Turkey wasn't trying to be better. Croatia were attacking and Turkey weren't due to the situation of their players and their tactics.

And please I just want some examples of luck because it's been spoken of so many times and I still haven't been given an example.

And about the substitution. Rustu took the kick before Bilic asked for the substitution. I'm sure that Bilic wanted to sub in there but Rustu took the kick before he could get the chance.

I know I'm correct because I watched this game twice. ;)

Like I said :"Luck is a factor that can be interpreted in many ways."

Taking in consideration that I am in sport for over than 10 years I believe that luck can be a factor in same matches. (especially in football)

About dispute substitution...Bilic claimed for it before even Croatia scored and 4th referee had the little semaphore in his hand to show who is getting out and in but didn't signalised the official referee which made Bilic very angry. (and Bilic was right because there was a plenty of time to do that...just look at the game again)

I know that you are from Turkey and know you are defending it...I am not saying anything bad about them just my opinion that I would prefer to watch Croatia against Germany because I think they should had pass to the semi-finals with their better game.

Cheers! :)

Spain i've not bragged so far as i am little worried that the Underachieving may carry on, got one step further than we did last Euro i am confident that we can beat Italy but then we may face Holland or the team we trashed Russia who have improved dramatically, its gonna be a great Euro i think its been so good without England. :D

I think its sad to blame injuries. Turkey have had Eduardo out for the whole campaign and he is while not their best but their most important player and if they had him then I would only see a comfortable win for Croatia. All teams in this tournament have had injuries and many more then Turkey. Also its Turkeys fault that they have suspensions because they rely on defensive tactics which means they end up having players sent off. If they had the quality to attack we would see them having much less suspensions.

Platini said the best players of Euro were Deco and Ibrahimovic.. and both are now in home.. :confused:

Turkey have just 13 players(forgetting the goalkeepers..). Emre Aþýk, Tuncay Þanlý, Volkan Demirel and Arda Turan are suspended. Servet Çetin (hip and knee), Tumet Metin (groins) and Emre Belözoðlu (thigh muscle) are injured. Emre Gungör injured in a hip and will not play more this EURO, Emre Belözoðlu makes only pool.. and Nihat was replaced at the end of the match against Croatia with thigh problems.. Tumer Metin can recover, i think the same about Nihat..

Gutted for Croatia, I really thought they were gonna win the tournament:(

Oh well, now favourites are Holland & Spain, maybe Germany...

Croatia deserved it more than Turkey however, better team throughout, but Turkey - The comeback kings may also do a Greece;)

I'll throw my tuppence worth in here and say that all the teams left in the competition have made a grave mistake in letting two of the big guns somehow escape the group stage. Germany and Italy have the mettle and mental attitude to battle there way to the final and I think it will be the same again :eek: . Both teams are packed with players who have the big match experience and temperament and although they've been far from impressive so far, I can see the two in the final again.

Of course Holland and Spain will have alot to say about that (and you never know with Turkey), but it just seems that Italy have the Indian sign over these teams and traditionally come out on top in these encounters. Neither the Spanish defence nor the Dutch defence is inpenetrable and even though they have good goalies behind them, I for one won't be surprised to see the Italians come through. For once, the Italian defence is not as strong as it has been in past major championships, but everyone seems to have already ruled them out in the football world and I can see them sneaking through to the final largely unnoticed. Teams that perform well in the early stages of a tournament, like Holland and Spain have done. rarely manage to carry it through the whole tournament and it's normally those who peak later who go on to win.

Guest melbguy1

I'm glad to see some long range shots in this game' date=' especially from Kolodin. He's got a lovely strike. There hasn't been enough of it in this tournament. Take a shot and give the keeper something to do![/quote']

lol.. was thinking the exact same thing!

especially since all the keepers were complaining about the new ball I thought there would be heaps in this tournament..

The ball looks awesome in flight to goal... no spin, just moving.