• Italy
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Holland
    • Czech Republic
    • Sweden
    • Croatia

Re: Euro 2008

1> I don't totally agree with ya mate. Yes Italy did have 10 men behind the ball but Spain could have done much better. They would get the darn ball into the Italian third and then keep passing it around (excessively if u ask me) and iin the process would loose the ball cheaply. They had the ball but did not do anything much with it. They played too cautiously. They never took any real risks. They never really went for the Italian jugular. ;)

And what Villa was doing i really don't know. He has just not been himself the last two matches that he has played in i.e. Sweden and Italy. Yes he did score the winnig goal against Sweden but he did pretty much nothing else. He has just not performed after the first game. In the past two games he has always been coming back to defended and has left Torres as the lone striker. I've seen Villa play loads of time as he is my fav player but thats not what he does no a regular basis. He has just not performed like he did in the first game. It was only towrds the end of the game against Italy (once Torres came off) that he started playing like himself and got into some really brilliant possitions. It was only in late in extra time that we saw the real Villa immerge. ;)

I think Villa is making a big mistake by constantly comming back into the Spanish half. He should be in the other half waiting with Torres (like in the first game) waiting to pounce on a chance and score a goal. Only then will Spain really be able to score goals. :)

1> You say that Spain passed the ball around when they got into the Italian half but you also said that Italy did have 10 men behind the ball....Well, thats why Spain had to pass the ball around because it was like coming up against a brick wall....Spain have some very creative players but the Italians stopped them playing with any flair, you cant just go out and outplay/all out attack against a VERY defensive team.....Italy's style spoiled that match...Spain could not really do anything..

I don't totally agree with ya mate. Yes Italy did have 10 men behind the ball but Spain could have done much better. They would get the darn ball into the Italian third and then keep passing it around (excessively if u ask me) and iin the process would loose the ball cheaply. They had the ball but did not do anything much with it. They played too cautiously. They never took any real risks. They never really went for the Italian jugular. ;)

that was exactly what the Italians wanted spain to do tho, Spain would have played right into there hands if they did that.

I hate this type of football, "lets let the other team attack and look good and we will be boring and try and pinch a goal doesnt matter about how we entertain the fans aslong as we knick a win"

I couldnt stand it when Houiller at LFC did it and won us trohpies with it and its even worse when Italy do it because they have such good players why they didnt play the same style as the WC i dont know.

if you remember the Houiller days we beat Man Utd like 4 times in a row home and away , 1-0, 1-0, 1-0, 1-0... yea thats all good and well but HOW BORING was we I hated watching it even tho we won

mmm yea that would be all good and well if our defenders could pass it along the back four for 15 minutes but we would just give it away :)

and England are not the world champions nor will they be for a long time.

I think we are all in agreement that if Northern Ireland had of made it into Euro 2008 then David Healy would be scoring goals for fun and Northern Ireland would probably have beat Spain 3-2 again..:P :p :P

Ah...the old 'play ugly football and win vs play attractive football and risk losing ' debate. It comes down to the resources you have I guess. You cannot be expected to play attractive flowing football if you don't have that style of player available. Certain squads from the outset played their cards just by their make-up. ther was no way that the Czechs for example and the Turks (sorry lil_kick_kid :o ) were going to play flowing expansive football and win. The players selected were suited to a defensive counter-attacking style.

Others, with the talent in their squad can't manage to play the stodgy type of football and will play expansive football such as the Dutch, Russians and Spanish (often coincidentally the sides with slightly suspect defences/holding midfielders). Like Neller, I was surprised by the Italians as their squad was more than capable of playing a better brand of football and I guess Donadoni will be murdered in the Italian press.

It comes down to the fans at the end of the day. the Dutch fans would rather play attractive football and lose than play dodgy football in my opinion. Other sets of fans would be happy to win any way they can...erm I'd say this applies to the German fans.

The age old dilemma and everyone has their own opinions. I've probably offended loads of people here :o , but oh well,. Just my opinions :D

The way i see it is its a results business. You dont get points for how you play. My team Coventry City often play terrible football. When we lose, which is often the case, it annoys me that we have played so badly and lost, however if we play like that and win its all good.

Basically if Coventry were to get promoted next season playing a terrible drab brand of football, id much rather that than finishing nowhere playing pretty football. Obviously in an ideal world id like us to do both, but trust me being a coventry fan is far from ideal so you tend to be grateful with any winning formula.

The way i see it is its a results business. You dont get points for how you play. My team Coventry City often play terrible football. When we lose' date=' which is often the case, it annoys me that we have played so badly and lost, however if we play like that and win its all good.

Basically if Coventry were to get promoted next season playing a terrible drab brand of football, id much rather that than finishing nowhere playing pretty football. Obviously in an ideal world id like us to do both, but trust me being a coventry fan is far from ideal so you tend to be grateful with any winning formula.[/quote']

Well i'm a Charlton fan and from what i saw on the last day of last season, a winning formula and promotion is a long way off for your lot! ;)

Well i'm a Charlton fan and from what i saw on the last day of last season' date=' a winning formula and promotion is a long way off for your lot! ;)[/quote']

Exactly mate. I was there, horrified and nervous. Our players totally bottled it that day. Great support as usual and they team just didnt play. Pathetic. Things will be better next season, although play offs is still a distant thought, id take top half next season just to regain some pride.

The way i see it is its a results business. You dont get points for how you play. My team Coventry City often play terrible football. When we lose' date=' which is often the case, it annoys me that we have played so badly and lost, however if we play like that and win its all good.

Basically if Coventry were to get promoted next season playing a terrible drab brand of football, id much rather that than finishing nowhere playing pretty football. Obviously in an ideal world id like us to do both, but trust me being a coventry fan is far from ideal so you tend to be grateful with any winning formula.[/quote']

yeah there is a difference between your midfield and strikers than Italy's tho, I don't just mean Italy im only using them as an example because of last night.

England play awful football as well but they have much better players than the football they play.

I just don't agree with top players / teams using that brand of football.. put it this way if all teams decided to play the same way then it will be a very dull game and lose alot of its popularity because those negative counter attacking tactics would simply not work.

yeah there is a difference between your midfield and strikers than Italy's tho' date=' I don't just mean Italy im only using them as an example because of last night.

England play awful football as well but they have much better players than the football they play.

I just don't agree with top players / teams using that brand of football.. put it this way if all teams decided to play the same way then it will be a very dull game and lose alot of its popularity because those negative counter attacking tactics would simply not work.[/quote']

Thats very true, you could maybe accept it from some of the less fancied nations in the competition but even sides like turkey and russia have come and give it a real go and look what they have achieved. and who'd bet against 1 of them winning it now.

Thats very true' date=' you could maybe accept it from some of the less fancied nations in the competition but even sides like turkey and russia have come and give it a real go and look what they have achieved. and who'd bet against 1 of them winning it now.[/quote']

yeah totally agree, I have no probs with "lesser" teams playing that football because they are fighting for there lives to try and get a result, look at Barsnley at Anfield, against Chelsea etc and various other games like that.

But I just think there is a difference between a team having to play that way to try and "fight" out a result against much better players than a team playing that way just because it can pull of 1-0 wins.

LFC were VERY guilty of playing that way under GH, we won 4 trophies in 1 season, did the double over Man Utd (infact won at OT 1-0 .. 3 seasons in a row) playing that way Fergie didn't seem to have an answer against us, but I hated it, couldn't stand watching LFC play that way and even tho we wasn't near the worlds best we still had better players than the football we was playing.

I think sides like Italy have so much ability they could brush aside most sides if they played a different way because they are such good footballers. People call Italy but nobody can question the ability of there players because they are simply world class and easily have as good players as Spain.

Well it has been quite a good 1st half. Turkey came of the blocks really well and gave the German's some problems early on. The Turks bombarded the German goal. Kazim Kazim has had a really good game. Hit the post twice and thej second time Turkey scored. Lehman showed the world why he is poo. :P:)

Germany replied well witha good Bastain goal similar to the one they scored against Portugal. It's going to be an interesting second half. Wonder who will prevale. The classy German side or the hard working and determined Turks. :D

for me the team of this Euro till now is:

VDS

Altintop-Metzelder-Pepe-Van Bronkhorst

Sneijder-Senna-Deco-Arshavin

Podolski-Villa

at the end i think that shouldn't be very different.

Lol, I don't think Podolski should be a striker. He has played as a midfielder every game Euro 2008 so why should he go up front. I also think you should make a substitute bench mate.

he has been playing as winger(maybe because this his position changed in SM to F/W) so i decided include him upfront. i thought in create a bench but i don't knew how many players put there, 12? 7? 5? :s and it's just my opinion.. :|

he has been playing as winger(maybe because this his position changed in SM to F/W) so i decided include him upfront. i thought in create a bench but i don't knew how many players put there' date=' 12? 7? 5? :s and it's just my opinion.. :|[/quote']

Ya, ya, it's just that Podolski is playing as a LM not a striker.

OMG !!! What a game we just had !!! Super stuff from both sides. Well done both Germany and Turkey. :D

Really sad we on;y got to watch the second half in bits and pieces due to some problem back in Basel. ;)

The last goal from Lahm was bloody brilliant !!! :D O and did i mention Lehman kept like poooooo !!!! :D

Newayz thank u Turkey for all the entertainment throught the Euro. Hope u guys can put up this good a show in the world cup (i hope to see u guys there ;)) :)

On the other hand well played Germany !!! Hope u guys provide us with a final as good as the game we have just seen :D

Guest King Kolo

Germany - Metzelder and Mertsacker looked like they didn't know the meaning of "pass".

Klose didn't do anything apart from score a tap in.

Lehmahn showed us that he is getting he pension soon.

The only player in the German squad who I can say played well was Frings and he only played 45 minutes!

Honestly I don't know how they won!

Turkey - Played the best football in the tournament today IMO The Turkish right back Sadri ( sorry if I spelt his name wrong;) ) was magnificent.

Rustu played well apart from his mistake.

Gohkhan San cut out some poor German passes.

I feel so sorry for Turkish fans.