Re: 4-2-4 CM or DM?

I don't have good experiences of 4-2-4 on here. :o

Im just doin a trial and error, basically i have two good wingers, Robinho and Farfan and I want to play them in their preffered position which would be the two forward wingers on the 4-2-4 formation as they have not been performing well in the LM/RM positions for formations such as 4-4-2, 3-4-2-1.

I would say don't play 4-2-4 unless you're out to lose. :rolleyes:

I have to kind of agree with Lee. The only time I use the formation is when the opposition is obviously better much better than me and I have no chance with my standard formations. If you're gonna use it, the I would recommend a long-ball (direct) game, a tactic which has seen me cause some upsets.

If you have good wingers you could just as easily play 4-4-2 as winger do as well in the 4 man midfield. This is a more stable formation :)

EDIT: Just seen your post. Often when the two wingers together are not working try one winger and one LM/RM. For some reason seems always to work better for me (?possibly more stable midfield unit like this). If you still want ot use two wingers then use solid fullbacks if 4-4-2 and use 3 CBs if a 3 defender formation :)

I have to kind of agree with Lee. The only time I use the formation is when the opposition is obviously better much better than me and I have no chance with my standard formations. If you're gonna use it' date=' the I would recommend a long-ball (direct) game, a tactic which has seen me cause some upsets.

If you have good wingers you could just as easily play 4-4-2 as winger do as well in the 4 man midfield. This is a more stable formation :)

EDIT: Just seen your post. Often when the two wingers together are not working try one winger and one LM/RM. For some reason seems always to work better for me (?possibly more stable midfield unit like this). If you still want ot use two wingers then use solid fullbacks if 4-4-2 and use 3 CBs if a 3 defender formation :)[/quote']

Thanks for your help Smartdoc, I think i may be doin my tactics wrong then with the 4-4-2 and other formations, i usually do my team style like this:

Tackling Style: Normal

Mentality: Normal

Passing Style: Mixed

Attacking Style: Mixed

Tempo: Normal

Pressing: All Over

Counter-Attack: Yes

Men Behind Ball: No

Tight Marking: Yes

Play Offside: No

Use Play Maker: No

Use Target Man: Yes

By looking at that could find out what the problem is, as my squad is very strong and i have had a really poor form: LLWDD.

Thanks for your help Smartdoc' date=' I think i may be doin my tactics wrong then with the 4-4-2 and other formations, i usually do my team style like this:

Tackling Style: Normal

Mentality: Normal

Passing Style: Mixed

Attacking Style: Mixed

Tempo: Normal

Pressing: All Over

Counter-Attack: Yes

Men Behind Ball: No

Tight Marking: Yes

Play Offside: No

Use Play Maker: No

Use Target Man: Yes

By looking at that could find out what the problem is, as my squad is very strong and i have had a really poor form: LLWDD.[/quote']

I think if your squad is strong and you want to play two wingers, you have to play an attacking style as opposed to mixed. Also be careful with tight marking as it only works it the opposition's formation is similar to yours. But if you're playing 4-4-2 and the opposition is playing 3-4-1-2 or 4-2-2-2 or 3-4-2-1 (or any opposition with players playing in the hole behind the striker(s)), then tight marking does not work as the hole player(s) will cause confusion amongst your backline/midfield (would it be a defender or a midfileder who will mark him tightly) and could disrupt your formation totally. A bit over-dramatic but that's how I read it :o . I only use tight marking when the formations are similar both using 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2 against a 3-4-1-2 :)

The 2 on the wide of the "4" in the 4-2-4 formation are not wingers they can be "f's" because "f's" can play anywhere along the line. :)

Yep I totally agree :) . The wide two could quite easily be F's or W's. In fact F's often play better there especially when playing a direct game.