Have Abrahmovic, Gillette/Hicks, Shinawatra, Glazers etc. got it wrong?

The latest annual review of football finance from Deloitte (a leading finacial firm which analyses sports business) has revealed some unexpected results. It appears that despite all the money being plunged into the English Premier League through TV deals, sponsorship, merchandising, foreign investors, etc., it is still not the most profitable league. The figures show that the Bundesliga has overcome the EPL and is ow the most profitable club. The main cause of this is the escalating player wages in the EPL with clubs like Portsmouth showing an increase in wages of 49% from the last year :eek: . So have the foreign chairmen I've mentioned, who we all accept are not true football fans, got it wrong? Admittedly, some have other agendas in escaping from their homeland such as tax evasion charges, spreading their assets etc. (I better say allegedly here in case Mr. Abrahmovic or Mr. Shinawatra are SM Forum followers :P ). But all of them are businessmen in the end and must be wondering if they've invested in the wrong league :rolleyes:

Of course this may be a temporary glitch in the money making machine that is the EPL, but forecasts are suggesting wages will continue to escalate. Despite the current uncertain climate, clubs are pressing on with stadium developments, signing better players, recruiting more staff to deal with ever-increasing squads and workforce. Surely, the revenue made in the EPL will sustain profitability for all clubs or is the EPL on a path to self-destruction?

Other issues also arise from the report:

- Surely, Bundesliga fans must question where all the profitability is going? They have the lowest wage bill of the big four league in Europe by some way. An example of the world-renown German efficiency and prudence. But surely fans would take success (in Europe) over prudence and profitability any day? Sounds like there are some very rich chairmen and board members sitting somewhere in Germany :D . Particularly when you consider the fact that some of the clubs are run as non-profit organisations!

- The English Championship is now the 4th biggest league in the world in terms of attendance :eek: . More people watch championship football from stadia than watch Serie A games. The championship attendances almost equal La Liga total attendances. But are the championship clubs making the most of this gained revenue? Championship football standards have undoubtedly improved but how much?

- Why are attendances in Serie A and La Liga just about comparable to the English Championship when so many class football players play in these leagues? Are there deep-seated problems affecting these attendaces and what factors are involved?

Plenty to discuss and some food for thought :)

Guest melbguy1

Re: Have Abrahmovic, Gillette/Hicks, Shinawatra, Glazers etc. got it wrong?

dude, great post, as usual you come up with some proper debate material.

imo the problem lies at the fact that the EPL is not the best league in the world and because of this players do not want to play in England.. I have heard people here say it's because of the weather and the language barrier... I call B.S to this reason.

So the only way that the EPL can get players to come across is to offer huge $$'s. This works for the average-good players in the world to move across, but the very best players in the world that already earn nice $'s will not even consider moving to England because the only incentive to move there is not really a incentive for them.

Why does Italy/Spain have so many class players? Because they are better leagues.. And players know for a fact that if they make it there they have proven themselves beyond any doubt (except for EPL fans). Real soccer players who have serious goals in their careers will choose teams like Sampdoria, Fiorentina, Udinese, Lazio, Valenica, Atl Madrid, Seville over clubs like Everton, pompey, Blackburn any day. I'm pretty sure, without looking into it, that foreigners that play in the mid-table Italy/Spain are chosen to represent their countries more then the foregners in mid-table EPL teams. Only quality foregners are chosen by Italian/Spanish clubs, and players want to represent their country. So huge $$'s is not required for players to move to these league because they have something that the EPL doesn't.. Prestige.

The soccer world is divided into 2.. the part that is covered by the English media, and the part that isn't. Wages will continue to rise and rise in the EPL if the imperialistic English Media doesn't reach all ends of the earth soon. Otherwise the only way they can get good players is to continue to offer huge $$'s.

Only time will tell if it's a bad decision by these billionaire owners.

Interesting thoughts.

But what's your feelings regarding the poor attendances at Serie A games? I was astounded to find out that English Championship games are now better attended than Serie A games. Why is this? Perhaps the fear of retribution from the opposition's passionate fans? Maybe the lack of modern developments to previously impressive stadiums? Have the scandals affected attendances in any way? Would love to hear some thoughts from Serie A fans, because it is quite shocking to see so many wonderful stars playing in front of half empty stadiums (and sometimes even more than half).

Guest melbguy1

I think the reason behind the poor attendances is evident by watching a EPL game then watching a Serie A game. EPL games are family oriented with all bums on seats, no flags, no banners, no fireworks, great stadiums. Serie A games are not family orientated, no bums on seats, huge flags and banners many times being disrespectful to the opposition and enticing a confrontation, mainly made up of men aged 18-40... not to mention the poor stadiums in general, there are some gem stadiums though.

I think it all comes down to the Ultras, the problem is though that the Ultras have wormed their way into being intergrated into the club and it's politics, to the point where if their demands aren't met they can seriously damage the image of the club and/or disrupt the game itself. i.e when a fan got killed there were 3 games that weekend that were stopped not by authorities or the clubs but by the Ultras themselves by continually throwing things on the pitch and chanting physical harm chants to their own players if they didn't stop.:eek:

I don't think the lack of people at stadiums can be directly linked to the quality of the players on the pitch but more around the poor stadiums (olympic tracks), poor policing of thugs (deaths) and poor club-ultras communication/management.

But yes mate, it is quite ridiculous that teams that have provided many world cup winning players and fifa players of the year can't get a half full (or half empty) stadium to their games. And the fact that it's been surpassed by such a low quality league like the Championship is quite embarrasing.

Very good post as normal smartdoc rep coming ur way after i spread it.

The Englsih premer leauge is a very good league and possibley the best in the world player wise. As iv said the english league is only sucsesful beacause of the foigern players.

Step blatter yesterday said that by 2010 he wants 6 home growen players in starting line ups and 5 foigern now this would be a struggle for many teams as most of there sucsses comes from foigern players. Manchester uniteds last game of the season fetured 5 english players and 1 on the bench so they will pass as do chelsea but they had no English player on the bench.

But Aresnal at the end of the season had 1 english player and none on the bench as did livapool just 2 players. The point im getting to is foigern players give the english premiemer league sucsess ronaldo scored 44 goals last season and in my view won that leauge for man u. Any i went off point sorry but find it very intresting.

Also in that report the goverment gets 700mil in tax thats a big ammount of money to me.

Any way iv gone off the point twice lol but going on melburgs thing about championship and seria-A. With all due respect to seria-A i find italys football very boring and the championship has action. Now i find juventes and roma the only exiting teams. Italy also has a bit of vilonce in it like u said 3 deaths that referee scam i wouldnt blame fans for not going to matches.

Iv kinda gone off the point but good thead :)

Great thread, Arslan. Rep comnig your way when I've finished my reply. :)

It's like you say, the reason the EPL is no longer the most profitable league is because of large wage bills which results in less money being generated for better use in English football. it's not too much of a suprise that it is the Bundesliga that is the richest because it is more popular than Serie A or La Liga and they have more "top class" players than the Bundesliga do. They don't have a formidable force of teams who constantly battle up the top ranks like England, Spain and Italy do. In the last ten years, only four teams have won the Bundesliga title (Bayern Munichx7, Borussia Dortmund, VfB Sttutgart and Werder Bremem all once). And I remember two seasons ago Hamburg finished second or third in the Bundesliga and in the following season nearly ended up going down which shows just how tight the league is. Also, 1.FC Nurnberg finished 6th last season and into the UEFA but this season they actually did get relegated.

Now these foreign chairmen can be dodgy parrticularly when they don't understand the business of football (or if you support Liverpoo or Man Utd, soccer) and that it isn't just about showing off your bottomless pocket. Roman Abramovic is a great example due to a cretain Summer (won't go futher:p ) but seriously even though he has spent millions upon millions it has paid off, really.

I think the Championship is watched more than Serie A or La Liga for a few reasons. the FA have more ash to flash than the other leagues so they can basically allow for more people to watch the games. Also, there is that element of security around Italy and Spain (more Italy) so you hardly get these sell-out games unless it's at the San Siro or somthing. When Barcelona were in that bad spell they had attendances of around 70k which although is high, it is quite poor for them considering that around 75% of thier capacity whereas Sheffield United actually averaged over 25k or somthing around there over 46 games which is more than some EPL teams.

Stupid rep system

Guest melbguy1

Tell you what though, if the 6+5 rule comes into effect those billionares will be kicking themselves for choosing the EPL and not Serie A or La Liga.

Tell you what though' date=' if the 6+5 rule comes into effect those billionares will be kicking themselves for choosing the EPL and not Serie A or La Liga.[/quote']

Not really, at least Roman has a bottomless pocket so he can get another English player easily and United already have enough. What will be interesting is how LFC and arsenal go about persuading other EPL teams to sell thier big English players such as Barry, Young, Agbonlahor, Ashton, Defoe etc which will be very enticing.

Guest melbguy1

yes true, but i think that if I had to rate the 3 leagues based on local talent produced the EPL would be 3rd.

Picking 6 local players to be on the field at all times and remain competitive is going to be tough for almost every EPL club.