Injury rules Babel out of Euros

"The 21-year-old Liverpool star had been expected to play some part of the team's final warm-up match against Wales in Rotterdam on Sunday.

And he was set to be a key part of Marco van Basten's squad for the tournament in Austria and Switzerland.

Van Basten is believed to be already discussing a replacement for Babel."

From BBC Sport.

Absolutely devastated for him.

Re: Injury rules Babel out of Euros

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP)—Dutch winger Ryan Babel will miss the European Championship after tearing ankle ligaments during practice Saturday.

The 21-year-old player will be sidelined several weeks, the Dutch soccer association said. Coach Marco van Basten did not announce a replacement.

The injury came a day before the Netherlands plays Wales in its last exhibition before the European Championship. The Dutch face world champion Italy in their June 9 opener in Berne, Switzerland. They also play World Cup runner-up France and Romania in what is considered the toughest group.

Its bad but not too bad for him..devastated by the injury rightly, but will be back in a few weeks so he wont really lose any of his outstanding form.

Too bad, but I really cant see him having a major effect on Hollands outcome anyway.

I couldn't believe it when i read this on BBC Sport.

As a Liverpool fan i had been looking forward to watching him play and see how he did on the big stage, and I'm absolutely gutted for him. :(

Hopefully his morale won't be affected too much and he can recover quickly and begin his preparations for next season - where hopefully he will shine and improve and become a regular in the Liverpool side.

He is a regular' date=' but yes I am devastated for him, I thought it could finally be his chance to shine and prove himself.[/quote']

Hmm yes i suppose he is, but I am always disappointed when Rafa replaces him with Benayoun or someone else - he rarely makes the full 90 minutes. At least now there won't be any excuses for doing that such as "He is recovering from the summer tournament" :rolleyes:

Hmm yes i suppose he is' date=' but I am always disappointed when Rafa replaces him with Benayoun or someone else - he rarely makes the full 90 minutes. At least now there won't be any excuses for doing that such as "He is recovering from the summer tournament" :rolleyes:[/quote']

I was really looking forward to Euro 2008, but seeing as England haven't qualified, a lot of players being left out of their squads and a huge number of injuries, I'm not looking forward to it as much.

Not the end of the world he is 21 same for Eduardo its not like they wont make it to another Euro' date=' I dont think Babel will make much difference as he hasnt been that impressive for liverpool this season, as a fan of liverpool he has missed some key shots[/quote']

He has made a bigger impact than Ronaldo did in his first season at Manchester United.

10 goals in your first season isn't bad.

Yeah its not but he barely made a game his biggest impact was the final minutes against Arsenal WHAT A MATCH

I was out in Spain for that match so only saw highlights... gutted i couldn't see it live. I was on a coach coming back from a football game (we were on tour) and all i had was my vodafone live - nothing compared to the real thing :(

Im tipping Babel to make Prem team of the season next year - Ashley Young did it this year after settling in at Villa and i think Babel can do the same.