A few MLS Prospects

norwichnick

Here are a few prospects that have played collegiately in the USA. None of them are on the database, though they all should be.

Julius James

Defender - Toronto F.C.

One of the best collegiate players in the nation this year, James was named the Big East Conference "Defensive Player of the Year" and was made the 9th pick in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft after another great year at the University of Connecticut. James made his debut yesterday against the L.A. Galaxy and scored on a header in the 49th minute.

Tony Beltran

Midfielder - Real Salt Lake

Mentioned by Insider in one of his U20-Full reports, Beltran is one of the top American prospects and a very talented winger and had a solid showing at the U20 tournament last summer. Future USA International. Had a good collegiate career at St. Johns and UCLA. Also has made his MLS debut against the Galaxy and was the third overall draft pick in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft.

Chance Myers

Defender - Kansas City Wizards

The first overall pick in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft, Myers was a college teammate of Beltran at UCLA where he managed four goals and four assists in 42 games over two years. Has represented USA at U-18,20 and 23 levels and has already made seven appearances for the Wizards, including six starts.

Brek Shea

Midfielder - F.C. Dallas

Another USA U-20 international, Shea was the second overall pick in the MLS SuperDraft and has also made his MLS debut already.

Sean Franklin

Defender - L.A. Galaxy

Has been linking up well with Beckham at the Galaxy, playing in most of L.A.'s games this season. A USA youth international, Franklin was the fourth overall pick in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft.

Shea Salinas

Forward - San Jose Earthquakes

Talented forward who has already made four appearances after a great career at Furman University. Was the 15th overall pick in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft.

Joseph Lapira

Forward - Nybergsund I.L. (Norway)

The 2006 college player of the year, Lapira signed for Norwegian first division side Nybergsund and has scored four goals in five games, including a brace on his debut. Lapira had 22 goals in 23 games his junior year at Notre Dame and made his debut for the Republic of Ireland in a friendly against Ecuador on May 23, 2007.

Re: A few MLS Prospects

Good shout on Lapira, he is the only player to play amatuer for the Republic since 1964, should not be an international, but I am going to keep my eye on his progress, as I think he might get some kind of a break. I just can't get Norwegian league 2 statistics right now, so if you can give us a shout about how he's doing, I'll be much appreciated. :)

Great shout on James!! I can name you some other great Toronto players to get:

-Marvell Wynne

-Danny Dichio

-Amado Guevara

-Jarrod Smith

-Rohann Ricketts (or however you spell his name)

I never thought Id see the day when a former Preston reject would be in the same post as the word 'great' :D

I never thought Id see the day when a former Preston reject would be in the same post as the word 'great' :D

Lols, but he is Toronto's top scorer.

He doesn't have good technique and he can't run for beans. The only reason he's scoring is because he always get headers above the defenders and sometimes even the goalkeeper!! :eek:

He's doing his job by getting the ball into the net and that's all that matters, so yes he is playing well.

Nine games only 3 starts' date=' a little to soon to be on the list[/quote']

Well he isn't rated very highly and he gets a few subs. And usually he creates chances. He's young as well, I don't see why he can't be on the list? Because some English dude named Jon Carver won't play him? :D

More to the Brek Shea talk thats going on; here's a report from a website I found yesterday:

8 June 2008

Fergie glowing for ready Brek

Alex Ferguson is chasing big Brek Shea - the new rising star of United States football. Manchester United's top scout Jim Lawlor is preparing to fly to the States to watch the giant 18 year old, who is skipper of his country's youth team, on the orders of Old Trafford boss Ferguson.

The 6ft 3in Shea, who plays for FC Dallas in the MLS, caught United's eye at last month's Toulon tournament in France, where he stood out despite being years younger than most in the under-23 category.

The powerful Shea, whose family is of Norwegian stock, can play at centrehalf or in midfield and has been outstanding in his first season as a professional in America.

Shea is a colourful character who used to have a Samuraistyle haircut until he was told to get it trimmed by a national youth team coach.

He now sports a more conservative look that would meet the approval of strict disciplinarian Sir Alex Ferguson. The billionaire Glazer family, who own United, would love an all-American boy to sign because the potential spin-offs would be huge.

However, that is not the main reason Fergie's spies are on his trail.

Shea is rated highly by many clubs and is also a target for Bolton Wanderers.

The youngster came over for a trial at the Reebok last season and they are hoping he returns.

However, a United move - backed by a concrete offer to the MLS - could see Shea head for Old Trafford. United chiefs will make a decision once all of the scouting reports are in.

Fergie is still looking for new blood at youth level where Unitedwere disappointing last season. There have also been discussions about the lack of height among United's homegrown stars.