hes lucky he has a strong defence infront of him. dear oh dear' date=' just think what wudve happened if he had the chelsea defenders in front of him... I KNOW ITS HORRIBLE!! :D[/quote']

Hmm who would he rather have in front of him...

England captain John Terry, French Star William Gallas, Top Class English Left Back Ashley Cole And Portuegese right-back rocket Ferraira (or whoever you spell it)

Or

Rio "the druggy" Ferdinand, Gabriel "Beans Means" Heinze, Gary "Beckham Bum Chum" Neville And Nemanja "Who?" Vidic.

I'm thinking the first option...

• 6 months later...

Re: victor valdes

how the hell is this guy a 92 still?!

hes very very average imo, overrated, an average GK at best, as he showed vs Liverpool today. hes prone to errors, rarely has a good game where he makes saves, and really shouldn't be a 92.

for Barcelona, the only reason he keeps clean sheets half the time is that he was a world class D in front of him, Puyol, Marquez, Thuram etc etc. look at Casillas at Real Madrid, his D always manages to leak chances, yet he pulls off save after save, and should be a 96 i reckon.

as for Valdes, his error today was just one of many, and also, hes 3rd choice for Spain!? Casillas and Reina in front of him, and the fact hes not that a good keeper, is why i think he should be down to 90. hes only as high as he is because hes number 1 for Barca, shouldn't make a difference imo, 91 max for me.

What are your thoughts? when you see the GKs on par with him, the likes of Jussi, Akinfeev, James, Canizares etc etc at 90-92, are all better than him imo.

how the hell is this guy a 92 still?!

hes very very average imo' date=' overrated, an average GK at best, as he showed vs Liverpool today. hes prone to errors, rarely has a good game where he makes saves, and really shouldn't be a 92.

for Barcelona, the only reason he keeps clean sheets half the time is that he was a world class D in front of him, Puyol, Marquez, Thuram etc etc. look at Casillas at Real Madrid, his D always manages to leak chances, yet he pulls off save after save, and should be a 96 i reckon.

as for Valdes, his error today was just one of many, and also, hes 3rd choice for Spain!? Casillas and Reina in front of him, and the fact hes not that a good keeper, is why i think he should be down to 90. hes only as high as he is because hes number 1 for Barca, shouldn't make a difference imo, 91 max for me.

What are your thoughts? when you see the GKs on par with him, the likes of Jussi, Akinfeev, James, Canizares etc etc at 90-92, are all better than him imo.[/quote']

i agree with that assessment. and the goal he gave away tonight was criminal for champion's league knockout stages.

also, another reason why his stats look good is simply other teams don't see as much of the ball playing barca.

especially at camp nou.

I think you guys can be quite harsh on keepers! ;)

Valdes is a very talented keeper, his error against Liverpool was awful i agree. But whenever a keeper makes a high profile error a post appears almost immediately calling for a rating drop. As you all know when a keeper makes a mistake it usually results in a goal... but how about marquez's ridiculous clearing header for the second goal, or Barca's overall defending of set pieces. They all made errors!

I noticed exactly the same reaction towards Robinson, even though i think his current form is excellent.

I agree with some of your points and Valdes may deserve to go down to 91 on his prolonged form, but he has done well on the whole for Barca since becoming their no.1.

I think he should be rated lower than Abbondanzieri who has been the best keeper in La Liga this season. So i think either Vales to 91 or Abbondanzieri to 93

how about marquez's ridiculous clearing header for the second goal' date=' or Barca's overall defending of set pieces. They all made errors![/quote']

I think Barca's defence is well known for being pretty shambolic. They haven't had a half decent centre back since Frank de Boer. Marquez is clearly much more suited to the holding midfield role. He looks out of his depth in the back four. Puyol is good in the air but is slow and clumsy, and doesn't read the game all that well. He's really no better than defenders like Helguera, Ooijer and Upson. It seems people see him as world class just because he happens to be captain of Barcelona. :confused: His performances in the last few years certainly don't warrant anywhere near a 97 rating. Playing for a good team and winning silverwear should NOT guarantee a high rating for an average player.

I agree with some of your points and Valdes may deserve to go down to 91 on his prolonged form' date=' but he has done well on the whole for Barca since becoming their no.1.[/quote']

I wouldn't say he's done that well. Zubizarreta, Hesp, Arnau and Bonano all did better jobs than Valdes (granted, they had better defences in front of them). Valdes' mistakes are far too frequent, and would get a lot more attention if the strikers were less prolific. He reminds me of Barthez, except he isn't nearly as good a shot stopper as him. I'd even say Jorquera has looked more solid on the few occasions he's played.