State of the Forum?

Guest SM Dev (Ste)

State of the Forum?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Re: State of the Forum?

I'm only new so feel free to discard my opinion if you so wish but there seems to be a hell of a lot of moaning goes on on this forum...and now I'm moaning which just means I'm contributing to what I'm criticising :D

Its Leigh's job to turn it around then' date=' surprised only one new mod is made. This means that basically Leigh has to do it all himself, as the others aren't ever on (although teb does come on at times). Something has to be done, and I PMed Ste about a possible solution and/or solutions, and it looks as if a certain proposal may be implemented on here sooner rather than later.

EDIT: Greig, you're taking it far too far with Louis now. Drop it for goodness sake[/quote']

Who says there is only one MOD lined up? You think Leigh has to turn something around all on his own? He will have help I'm sure and all these "solutions" may be in place and I for one am confident of an improvement....

Greig and Louis, you should have your own thread on the specially made adult board, you can have an endless go at each other on there....I do agree with some of Greigs points about you though Louis

Greig stop making stupid accusations' date=' stop thinking your all cool, because your not. Im fed up with you.

When did i ever try and start a fight on a forumer?

I knew you were going to mention my name on this thread sooner or later.

Because i know you like to bully people on a computer game to make yourself like hard. Even thought you are not in real life.

So grow up and stop taking it out on people you dont even know. :)[/quote']

Right girls insted of ariguing on this thread answer the bloody quiston. You two arigue on every threa just stay out of each others way doint critise each other then peace will come also greig aint a idiot.

Any way since i joined may last year i havent rellly seen a difference its still as fun as it was since i joined so i got no prob :)

Who says there is only one MOD lined up? You think Leigh has to turn something around all on his own? He will have help I'm sure and all these "solutions" may be in place and I for one am confident of an improvement....

Well has there been a consistently-online mod in the past few months.. no.

So why should it all change now? Who says there is more than one mod lined up? We don't know at all, but if there was, why aren't they being made mods at the same time as leigh to give him a hand? Especially if the forum is rumoured to be in a "state".

If everyone followed Duffman's example, the world would be a better place :rolleyes:

Anyway, I agree recently, there has been an increase in immature, petty little comments, maybe one or two coming from me, however I agree that a forum is here to express your opinion, but some people take it to far.

The only way I can see reducing stuff like what's been said is some sort of warning system, where say you have 10 lives, and if someone feels your post is in someway immature/off topic, or whatever, they report it, this then gets sent to a mod, who has a final desicion whether its a valid argument or not, and they take appropriate action, if you have too many warnings, you get a suspension, before eventually getting a Ban if it continues.

Show me up all you want Greig. Do you think i care? i dont care about you' date=' your just a little microorganism who should grow up to me.[/b']

Do you really think im that stupid to have a fight with Cactusman on a thread?....:rolleyes:

Elcipse, dont understand what you mean by "This is exactly what needs to change..." maybe you can PM me and tell me :)

Louis there was no need to carry that on it stopped for a while so how about U grow up. now let this be the end of greig vs louis.

Like other people have said on this post.

Dont read my posts then. :)

You can't avoid them to be honest. unless they add you to the ignore list on the forum like a few already have.

I think the appointment of Leigh is a great move, like Signing Kaka for Aston Villa IMO. I still think we need around 5 mods as I was just talking to Adam about it, many are on every day, but it's a big ask for one to have all the weight on his/her shoulders.

lmao this is really bad, ste will no doubt have a chuckle as this is all very pathetic. Can you all add each other on MSN and have it out there because you are all doing excatly what your moaning about, ruining threads. You are not debating you are arguing amoingst yourselves. Come on people, just drop it ?

No doubt this will get over looked :)

So thankyou for anyone that reads this and expresses there opinions on the forum and not on people who they dont see eye to eye with

lmao this is really bad' date=' ste will no doubt have a chuckle as this is all very pathetic. Can you all add each other on MSN and have it out there because you are all doing excatly what your moaning about, ruining threads. You are not debating you are arguing amoingst yourselves. Come on people, just drop it ?

So thankyou for anyone that reads this and expresses there opinions on the forum and not on people who they dont see eye to eye with[/quote']

Although you could say it was kind of inevitable that this thing would start on a thread highlighting the issue

Guest the plummer

lmao this is really bad' date=' ste will no doubt have a chuckle as this is all very pathetic. Can you all add each other on MSN and have it out there because you are all doing excatly what your moaning about, ruining threads. You are not debating you are arguing amoingst yourselves. Come on people, just drop it ?

So thankyou for anyone that reads this and expresses there opinions on the forum and not on people who they dont see eye to eye with[/quote']

adam , hope this isnt directed at me , posted and had my opinions on everyones posts including yours , then a get an insult of a forumer , what do you want me to do , let some one make aqusations towards me and I have to ignore it , its not in my nature and I wouldnt let some one do that to me on a forum , So its not pathetic on my part , i have deleted two posts and not responded to the last post made by the other forumer in concern.

, this aint written angrily more just inforiming you of my reasoning.

Would agree with Eclipse regarding Moderators........but they must be chosen carefully.

The forum is akin to a schoolyard and a Primary Schoolyard at that' date=' what with the moaning and childish arguments.

Some forumers really need to look at what they are posting sometimes and also think twice before posting something that they know will cause an argument.

Failing that, the forum needs an argument section and a kindergarten section for the children.

Widdy[/quote']

Everyone should read the whole thread, then read my first post. :rolleyes:

Not much more to be said really.

Widdy

What I am saying is. People viewing this forum thinking their going to register could see a post like that and think "You know what I won't bother as they seem very immature"

Still this is all very childish and Ste doesn't really need to see this, it's very ironic that this happens on a thread about the forum being in a state isn't it?

To be fair, the forum of long ago like so many veterans mention and new people slate them for mentioning it, but there was a sense of maturity, friendship and the joy of speaking about what the bloody well want to and not be downgraded, slated or harrassed for it.

adam ' date=' hope this isnt directed at me , posted and had my opinions on everyones posts including yours , then a get an insult of a forumer , what do you want me to do , let some one make aqusations towards me and I have to ignore it , its not in my nature and I wouldnt let some one do that to me on a forum , So its not pathetic on my part , i have deleted two posts and not responded to the last post made by the other forumer in concern.

, this aint written angrily more just inforiming you of my reasoning.

[/b']

An argument goes both ways. You start most of it, and then sparked it off tonight as well.. and Adam you are very correct in what you are saying.. the arguing between others happens on near enough every thread and something has to be done, or the forum may as well not be here.

Take away the rep points, and post counts = problems solved.

That way, nobody will be looking to continually post to enhance rep.

Imo the main problem with most of the forum is people holding grudges and just wont let things lie.

It's already been highlighted on this thread alone, the one thing Ste and Andy asked people to do was not turn it into a fight.... hmmm well done guys.

people need to just get on with things, when people debate / fight on 1 thread they wont let it drop and they take the "grudge" with them.

I get into many, many debates as do most people, sure sometimes people say things that annoy me but I dont hold it against them or keep it with me I could speak to that same person who "annoyed" me on a different thread but agree with his post I wont then hold what he said on the last post against him (which is what a few do).

Mitch is a good example, over the last few weeks I have gotten into many debates with him seems he hates LFC and I hate Man Utd, we clash lots but I dont think hes held any grudges (I hope :) ) and neither have I. sure we still argue about the 2 clubs but were supposed to odd times when people are on a thread it does get a little heated but then when you leave the thread DROP IT!!! dont keep on thinking about it.

I also think people moan wayyyyyyyy to much about SM, I have my odd rant about things but some people seem to complain about every single thing that happens wether its the site going down for 10mins (happends to every site in the world) or because there has been a bug making a GC (bugs happen on evey site in the world also).

because SM have tried to keep in touch with members through the forum / blog I think people take advantage of it and try to take things to far I have played many other footie sims and none of which had anything to do with the community they kept themselves to themselves.

I do think there are a few people who exist on the forum who are on here only to try and ruin it and slam SM, and the reason being because I believe they are from rival games. of course this may be wrong but I bet those people know who they are :) .. well keep on trying because it will NEVER work.

People need to realise SM is not a robot they are real people so if you do want them to always carry on with the forum then try and be more contsrutive, would you come on the forum if everytime you logged on you was being blasted by everyone? dont say its there job because it aint I cant think of any other games that do it.

anyways im sure hard *** Leigh and the other mods will get it sorted :D

With the ammount of members that want to become Mods ,chat mods etc i didnt think it would be long before we need moderators come into the equation .

When you address a problem you dont just decide to throw more chiefs at it ,its that bad with spamming etc ,spits and spats that my PM system has been full of complaints against these members and to sort it out.:D (dont think so )

In fact i bet i can count these complaints on one hand in over a year and half .

Only PM i mainly get complaining is they itself have been banned lost rep for no reasons :rolleyes: ,most others change my sig etc ,change my thread name etc .

Get the odd e-mail reporting thread and actually the odd one i need to act on which i do ,most nothing wrong just not the complainers cup of tea in his eyes.

Also nothing wrong with that and complaining because any that do i also reply on how i saw it and what ive done about it and if not happy with my decision to take it further to SM .

Any i deemed the complatant right i found it just needs a nice PM to them to put them in line not instant bans etc ,yes the odd one will not be happy with this so kicks off and gets banned.

When first came on Forum there was a small core of Forumers it was like one big happy family ,but even we had some good rants and barneys it wasnt all kiss and cuddles ,but its like anything that multiplies and mutiplies you are not and never going to have what you had with the small core .

Forum is changing with the growth and sign of the times ,take first year or so of forum because SM as a whole wasnt big ,most of us all played in same set ups the best being EC1 and to me EC3 ,you only have to look at EC3 thread what Leamington started to see the massive comradre between forum members ,now because of the growth theres that many match report/transfer set ups especially with custom and most jumping in and out and leaving at a drop of the hat that not many will ever live up to these threads ,so because of this some will think forum not good any more .

Used to be some brilliant debates under suggestions but for a long time now especially more since ticket system these are nearly none exsistent ,again sign of times your not going to change it ,in fact if there is a thread theres usually the same few that debates on it ,reason is the Forum has changed for what the bulk come on for ,most dont come on for debates its like the old days of the annoying rate my team etc now its whats the best tactics /formations etc,i won my first 3 games but just lost one what am i doing wrong .:D

Again not the most enjoyable and entertaining but nothing wrong ,like i said the bulk like these and giving there expertise on the subject .:P

But again for them that dont like them Forum going down .

Also with the Westgate board what most dont see for the forumers in the test set up ,we do more debating under here between us than in front of the full forum members so again that takes away a lot of debates what all forumers would normally have got engaged in if they want,now its a select few .

I always get amused with some of complaints about spamming ,because this can be a very contencious area on what constitutes spam ,we all can see it in different ways so i suppose when members complain we dont do our job on cutting down spam ,i suggest they send me a PM on what they deem spam and hopefully i see it there way but if not then they will have to live with it or complain to SM .

I go on plenty of forums and with the massive difference in ages on this than many others to me its expected .

Ive seen members get told in threads to stop spamming and quite rightly some will get upset because they dont realise they are ,some there just doing a short reply in a friendly manner not thinking im spamming ,done it plenty of times myself and had the odd Admin shouldnt spam .

Well in the old days when it was rife because of thread counts and it got under everyones skin i could understand it ,now its yes the counts gone but you do so many posts and you get a rating rise so thats why there spamming now .

Like i said if some annoy so much tell a Admin we decide not up to you to tell them which can also start a third world war if they dont agree .

Same with search some members say they get fed up of seeing same threads when some already ,yet again i never get PM complaining to me links to the thread etc just them giving a quick rude retort to the one who did it ,this also annoys both parties ,so then you have two differnt views on why Forum going downhill ,

One because to many threads on same subject the other because certain members dont know when to quit griping about starting a new thread .

So to both sides dont like Forum going downhill.

Will tell you now the search is not the be and end of all the way it is now ,some threads when i see someone being ticked of for starting one i bet they didnt put a search like i do to see how easy some are to find because it can be hell .

So again complain to admin its another one i dont get any complaints about ,ive had a couple in over a year ,one i let go would have spent at least 30 minutes trying to find what he was looking for ,the other was easy so he got a polite PM told him i would be watching all new threads from him and if found they was as easy as his last one to use search then he would be dealt with ,got a sorry and he did search then onwards,but again its up to members to let us know and we will deem the right and wrong not for you to tell them ,which most will ignore you and deem its not your buisness.

To sum up to me its not gone down hill but its changed from how it was so as members we need to think of new ideas to change the course we want the way for it to go ,you have to take into account because of the anormity of members now the close nitness with the majority has gone ,you have it still but its in there own groups not all as in the old days ,loyalties are divided now and thats down to the growth of the forum ,most older members get annoyed because they deem they dont get the respect they deserve but thats because a far bigger percentage dont believe that gives you cartel on what say goes on forum and the right to berate new members .

I agree like i said and not lying ,if your not happy for any reason you PM admin and as soon as we can we will look into it and take what ever action we think warrents it ,to many take it on theirselves to open their mouths and speak and tell members what to do when its not their place .

So i hold my hands up and plead guilty to this ive just allowed it to go on ,instead i should have warned these to butt out and leave it to us .

Fault with the Forum and again members on both sides will deem why its going down the pan to big of an age mixture now which you wont change unless you change the age format to begin with ,your trying to please adults and kids at the same time ,members that want a bit of buzz in the place and a rant ,members that want peace and quite and all things in order to their liking .:)

What this thread has proved to me which Leigh closed is with the ammount it has grown and the mount of immature on it now ,we mods and SM need to come up with just a new rule on what a reply needs to contain ,for me its not for a member to tell another what to do because thats just flaming a situation ,plus like i said instead of wittering like babies complain to us powers at be personally through the channels it may get you further ,butwith some of these childish antics maybe just a day out in kindergarden while your off the forum .

As for the silly comment no mod on forum someone needs to check my time i spend,again its a clamour to be a mod if dont get it spit your dummy out .:)

Due to complaints from many long standing forumers and also some SM staff who read the forums' date=' it seems there has been a deteriation of the forum in terms of fun, with it moving away from its original intention of being a place for the community to have a friendly chat about SM or footabll in general.[/quote']

Hi guys, I'd firstly like to say that I still really enjoy the forum having been on the forum a long time even though I don't post a great deal.:o For me it keeps me up to date with the game, I can read great posts from scouts who make my Bristol Rovers team a lot of money;) but I also enjoy the arguments and debates. If you ignore the petty squabbles, there is plenty of friendly chat about football and and all kinds of things.

When first came on Forum there was a small core of Forumers it was like one big happy family ' date='but even we had some good rants and barneys it wasnt all kiss and cuddles ,but its like anything that multiplies and mutiplies you are not and never going to have what you had with the small core .[/quote']

In answer to the quote at the top of this post by SM Dev (Ste)and specifically the 'deteriation of the forum' I think this quote by Alan crazy Bones Neller sums it up. Having been on the game/forum a long time I've seen massive changes. A small group of people gave the forum a family feel in the early days, but now that has changed, which was inevitable and shows that SM is growing which is a good thing for the game. The close nit community is gone because the community is so large now, so those days won't return.

Take away the rep points' date=' and post counts = problems solved.

That way, nobody will be looking to continually post to enhance rep.[/quote']

The biggest, and most negative change that I have seen on the forum was the introduction of 'rep points'. Suddenly the forum imo became 'competitive'. People trying to win rep points has turned the attention away from friendly banter and into a race to somehow gain respect.

I totally agree with the above quote from RossDAFC. The really good forumers are easy to see. They don't need rep points to prove it! SM Dev (ste), I am appealing to you to take rep points and post counts away, if only for a trial period. This would take away the ridiculous competitiveness to gain points and would leave the forum free to do what its supposed to do, (original intention of being a place for the community to have a friendly chat about SM or footaball in general).

Thats my view:)

I think that the forum is perfectly fine. This has always been a fairly immature forum as the average age of the members is very young. It has it's up and down periods and generally the down periods coincide with the fact that there is no football being played. In general I think that it is fine at the moment and always has been. Yes' date=' there is bickering and petty arguments but that is just life and I don't really see too much harm in it. If people don't want to read it they are under no obligation to.

EDIT:- my first post as a mod[/quote']

This post sums it up

Like Leigh says

the average age is very young so there is going to be a lot of immature post

which is not a issue if the board is moderated right

Teb and Crazy Bones do a great job and now with Leigh with them it can only help make the board better.

Take away the rep points' date=' and post counts = problems solved.

That way, nobody will be looking to continually post to enhance rep.[/quote']

100% with Ross on this

This post sums it up

Like Leigh says

the average age is very young so there is going to be a lot of immature post

Well this depends on the forumer. Saying that being young means you're immature is being stereotypical and generalizing. Once again, it depends on the forumer, who knows? A 20 year old could be more immature then a 16 year old.

Well this depends on the forumer. Saying that being young means you're immature is being stereotypical and generalizing. Once again' date=' it depends on the forumer, who knows? A 20 year old could be more immature then a 16 year old.[/quote']

Yes your right been young does not mean your immature but you get alot more immature post on here compared to some over 18 forums i use.

Saying that my boss says i'm very immature and i'm over 30:D

Yes your right been young does not mean your immature but you get alot more immature post on here compared to some over 18 forums i use.

Saying that my boss says i'm very immature and i'm over 30:D

I'm glad you see where I'm coming from and your point is very valid as well. What you're saying is true' date=' [b']most of the time[/b]. :D

I have read all the posts on here :rolleyes:

I do agree with whoever pointed out how ironic it is for two forumers to fight in this thread:rolleyes:

From my expeirence on the forum over the 3/4 year i dont think it has changed terribly i did vote yes, but not to the greatest extent. The only real issue that gets me annoyed and as most people seem to agree is the deteration of some threads into slanging matches agaisnt each other. There is no need to have a go at someone for what team they support. For mind it is also important for new comers to read the rules and i reckon be forced to have a quick tutorial on how to use the search function.

anyway thats my two cents.;)

Could it actually be the reputation to blame? think about it. It's been that long really since the forum last had it's real buzz, perhaps that is the reason for the mini downfall?

What I have missed and not being offensive to any of the previous forum moderators :) but there was a lack of threads being closed, people being banned and posts being deleted. However there was also a lack of Moderators around :rolleyes: .

When first came on Forum there was a small core of Forumers it was like one big happy family ' date='but even we had some good rants and barneys it wasnt all kiss and cuddles ,but its like anything that multiplies and mutiplies you are not and never going to have what you had with the small core .[/quote']

Hit the nail on the head. I think when Craig, Fraser, Dai and Kamil was around, there were just over 1000 forumers, 200 of them which were active, which made it like a team talk not a forum debate :D.

I also think people moan wayyyyyyyy to much about SM' date=' I have my odd rant about things but some people seem to complain about every single thing that happens wether its the site going down for 10mins (happends to every site in the world) or because there has been a bug making a GC (bugs happen on evey site in the world also).[/quote']

I have seen hundreds complain about things on SM that have been so stupid and Petty. People complain about the stupidest things and they expect a new feature everyday or "why has the site been down 20 seconds :mad: " Get over it! How many people really love this site? I know I do, best online game i've ever played, hence why my backside has taken route to this computer chair in the past 2 and a half years.

Complaints, fights and meaningless posts are what need to stop IMO, yes people think oh everything is too serious, well if it's too serious there's no fights, if it's all fun then people will banter and dig at each other.

Would agree with Eclipse regarding Moderators........but they must be chosen carefully.

The forum is akin to a schoolyard and a Primary Schoolyard at that' date=' what with the moaning and childish arguments.

Some forumers really need to look at what they are posting sometimes and also think twice before posting something that they know will cause an argument.

Failing that, the forum needs an argument section and a kindergarten section for the children.

Widdy[/quote']

Agreed. People need to look at what they post. Whether we can go extreme and suggest a window that comes up when you hit submit reply saying "Are you happy with your post" etc. or whether people actually check themselves, it may help us someway.

Reet. My turn. I've been reading this thread for ages, and I've decided I might as well add something.

You may not have noticed me, because I hardly ever post, but I've been on the forum for about a year, and I don't think for one moment that the forum is a worse place for the number of new members joining. After reading what all of you have to say I've decided that alot of you seem to be placing the blame on the expansion of the forum, but I'd say most of the (active) new additions to the forum post interesting posts and I've gained alot from reading what they have to say. For me the problem is not the fact that there are more people, the problem is that through the expansion of the forum, the little community that once made this such a friendly place has disappeared.

Personally, I think the main reason for this is that forumers have lost touch with what is, in my opinion, the most important differentiation required on a forum, the difference between an arguement and a debate. I may not have been here when the forum was relatively new and "perfect", however I've been here long enough to notice the shift from the "I can see what you're saying, but I think" mentality to the "you're wrong, I think that" idea.

I love the game, and the people here are lovely.

Although I may not know all of you, the ones I know truly make everything more interesting, and I count myself lucky to have met so many new and amazing people via the site. I don't think people realise just how lucky they are to get to know these people, most of whom they'd probably never meet anywhere else, and they take this for granted.

Sorry, it may not have been my place to say all of this, but I thought I might as well add something worthwhile.