SM Study: Nationalism within teams

lukelufc

SM STUDY: Do teams where most of the squad come from the same country perform better than teams with a mixture of players from different nations?

Well a while back now I decided to take over an average team in a World Championship, an average top flight team and try to make their squad very national to their home country and see if this improved their game......

I chose Atletico Madrid of Spain, in WC 1363 to be the study team.......

At the start of the first season I tried my best to sell away most of the non-Spanish players in the team and bring in Spanish players.......

The result was that pretty soon I was left with a fully Spanish side excluding Sergio Aguero and a lot of cash, unfortunately managers were not willing to sell their key Spanish players for the spare cash that I had so the team remained medioka.

I had only managed to bring in a few top class players for the side, Guti, Fabregas and Raul (who was 93).

I played in a 3-5-2 formation season long and fielded the strongest possible squad throughout the whole season, Aguero played 30 of the 38 games (so 8 games were fully Spanish)

The season then came to an end, which had been poor after winning almost all of their first 20games they seemed to slip up more later on in the season, but they were able to hold off to win the league by 2 points over Arsenal.

So, an Atletico Madrid winning the Division One title, with only one Spanish player.... surely that means a national basis helps?

But unfortunately, it is hard to tell because of several variables such as formation other managers, whether it was a fluke etc. Also Aguero proved to be the key player despite being the only foreigner.

However depending on which way you look at it, the national basis squad may not be such a bad idea after all... if you have the time and patience to carry it out. [but I wouldn't advise it;) ]

I hope this helps any other manager who is thinking to try and make a National side within a multi national setup and squad to prove that really, the difference (if any) is very limited.

Atletico currently are 5th in the league after 10 games of the second season, and Aguero may be leaving as part of a swap deal for Casillas.

The squad can be viewed here:

http://www.soccermanager.com/profile.php?action=clubdetails&cid=42212&clubid=2819158&sid=5844

The team can be swapped or bought away (as part of a deal), if anybody is interested

Re: SM Study: Nationalism within teams

SM STUDY: Do teams where most of the squad come from the same country perform better than teams with a mixture of players from different nations?

In short - NO. Otherwise Sao Paolo would be pawning everyone in the game lmao

Why would it?

All that matters is individual player ratings and good tactics. Nationalites mean nothing. Individual skill means everything.

TBH i think having a side the same nationality of your club makes no difference. I believe that the ratings, the fitness, the foot and other variables, but most importantly the tactics used. Although i do believe that in real life players having the same nationalities would help, as the team members would understand each other much better.

But SM isn't that complex, in fact neither is FM so it won't happen for quite a long time until football management simulation games advance by a long way. ;)

Wow, if this theory does prove to be ture, and nationalism is a factor involved then my Chelsea team are sunk. I have players from 15 different nations in a 24-man squad (including youth). But depsite this i still managed 2nd place last season and i think i would have won had it not been for the previous manager losing three of the first games and getting a draw before i stepped in with two 10-in-a-row wins.