English Championship 106 - Transfer/Gossip thread

Burrow27

Re: English Championship 106 - Transfer/Gossip thread

Cavenaghi Is A Doubt

3A3A91A7-9B78-5CC7-D823F18C79B4056A.jpg

Leyton Orient manager Zak Cluer confirmed today in a short interview with SM Sport that Fernando Cavenagh, one of Leyton Orients best players is a big doubt for Wednesdays big clash with Port Vale, in his own words, "We have abit of a doubt about his fitness at the moment, he words very hard in training and in the game and sometimes he works too hard for his own good, so he wont be in the starting line-up on Wednesday, but fortunatley we have new signing Dominguez all fit and ready to step in."

Zak Cluer also confirms they have had a bid for Richard Eckersley of Preston Northend accepted, "Yeah we have been in talks and have come to an agreed fee for the young lad. We believe he can come here and prove himself and make it big!"

SoccermanagerTimescopy.jpg

33_1191751249.gif

Search for another CB is on for Gills boss Jake

Rafael+Marques.jpg

(Brazilian CB Rafael Marques is tonight heading out of Gillingham back to Brazil.)

Gillingham manager Jake A has tonight caught up with our SkySportsNews reporter Guy Mowbray after lots of football speculation has been surrounding England over the new Manchester United manager and his loyalty to the fans and players. MrX the new Manchester United manager has come to the scene of England looking for a new challenge in taking struggling Manchester United on to stay in the top flight of England. MrX is already making his name amongst England because of the way he has approached the role of the big job, lots of United players have already left the club for minimum cash and soon could have a very low squad due to the high number of players leaving the club.

Gillingham's website has tonight announced that Brazilian skipper Rafael Marques will be leaving the Division 3 side to go and re-join he's team mates in Brazil, Marques moved from Brazil last season but has not yet been able to adapt to the style of play in England and Rafael points out he has enjoyed he's experience with Gillingham as a whole.

Whilst a CB is heading out of Gillingham one must be on their way in as the loans of both Van Der Wiel and Marcano could be cancelled at any time Gillingham could be left stranded. There is no official news yet on this case bust it is rumoured that Jake is looking to bring in a home bred skipper that knows the style of play in England as Jake doesn't have any English player in he's side.

We caught up with Jake outside he's home in Gillingham and this is what he had to say to Guy Mowbray and the SkySportsNews team, "I can announce that CB Rafael Marques will be leaving us tonight to go and re-join he's beloved Gremio in Brazil. We are yet to find a suitable replacement for Marques but I am hoping to try and snap up an English CB. I can announce that a CB will join us in the next few days it's just the case of teying to find the suitable buy."

Bryant please with hardworking Affolter

20090419-yb-gc1gr.jpg

Charlton Athletic defender François Affolter has shown his good working ethnic and has impressed many coaches in training, including head coach Dean Bryant. The 18-year-old Swiss joined Charlton last week after attracted many clubs with his performances with former club BSC Young Boys. Affolter has continue to make an impression to the club and Bryant admitted that they are pleased with his hard working attitute. The higly-rated defender has been tipped to play some part of the senior games and Bryant has said that he would let him work alongside senior players like Alessandro Gamberini and Sebastian Puygrenier to give him more advice and tips.

"I rate him very highly and I am sure he will be a good player for us in the future," he told The Soccer Manager Times. "He will be given some games in this season campaign and I am sure he will be a good example to the rest of youth squad players. He is still young but has shown his maturity during training."

Middlesbrough team news

Division 2

16289_badge.jpg v PrestonBadge.gif

Middlesbrough welcome Preston to the Riverside for this weekends league game with Boro desperately needing a win to keep the pressure on 2nd place Stoke and to fend off 5 teams who are within 3pts of Boro meanwhile Preston look to maintain there recent run of form and make it to a 5 game unbeaten run the first in 3 seasons for the club.

Middlesbrough line up with a full strength first team with 2 changes to the team that drew 0-0 with Burnley in a friendly on Sunday.

In goal for Boro is Victor Valdes keeping hold of the goalkeepers gloves for the remainder of the season with Kameni at Darlington on loan at the bacK the partnership of Bordon and Friedrich return with Zaccardo and Pasqual at RB and LB in holding midfield Axel Witsel keeps his place however new signing Orlando Engelaar is dropped to the bench in favour of Baris Ozbek who along with Witsel has been very solid throughout the season Jose Maria Guti,Luis Nani and Ferreira Wagner complete the midfield up front Christian Benitez looks the more likely selection with Halil Altintop and youngster Alexandru Dedov on the bench along with Orlando Engelaar,Michal Kadlec and new loan signing Gaetano D'Agostino other loan signing David Nugent is left out of the squad at the request of his perent club Preston

Maycon returns to former club

maycongomel1.jpg

Calijuri Maycon has returned to his former club FC Gomel in Belarus the Brazilian who joined Middlesbrough last season for a fee of £10,000 made 2 league appearances this season however failed to impress enough to keep him at the club he leaves for a fee of £563,000

Three new youth team signings

gianluca_dangelo.jpg

Gianluca D'Angelo has agreed terms with Middlesbrough the former Grasshopper-Club player has signed a 4 year deal with Middlesbrough the 18y/o made 4 league appearances for Grasshopper he joins in a part exchange deal worth £80,000+Stayko Stoychev and Mateusz Zyla

34000468.png

Frederic Duplus has agreed terms with Middlesbrough with the french teenager signing a 4 year deal at the club Duplus made 1 appearance for Sochaux he joins Boro for a fee of £200,000

0,,10365~3621405,00.jpg

Aaron Cresswell has joined Middlesbrough for a fee of £275,000 he has signed a 2 Years contract worth £3,600 per Turn

Preston offload youth stars

Preston North End have confirmed that youth squad players Victor Moses and Richard Eckersley have left the club.

Victor Moses has signed for ex-club Crystal Palace for £3m, having left the club as a youngster. Richard Eckersley decided to buy out the rest of his deal, which was set to expire at the end of the season. Preston were paid £500k in compensation by Leyton Orient.

Middlesbrough v Preston NE

Match Preview

Preston will be without the injured Phil Jagielka, who is set to return to full training on Friday. The first XI is expected to be unchanged as Preston gun for a fifth game unbeaten against 'Boro. Marko Marin impressed in the absence of Aaron Lennon, and may keep his place on the wing. Leighton Baines is back in full training and on the bench for tomorrow nights game. Peter Crouch hopes to continue his rich vein of form in front of goal against a team with the second-tightest defence in the league.

Stat Attack:

Peter Crouch will make his 5oth appearance for the club if he starts

If selected, Nani will be making his 30th appearance for Middlesbrough

Stewart Downing and Axel Witsel will be playing against their former employees if the play

Guest drseanfitz

Lukaku pens new contract.

lukakau.gif

16 year old Belgian forward Romelo Lukaku today signed a new 5 year contract at the club.

The young forward joined the Gresty Road outfit last season for a fee of £950k, and has been outstanding for the youth and reserve squads.

He made his competitive debut for Anderlecht on 24 May 2009, and was a regular substitute for the Belgian side before the move to England.

He is being courted by several sides in the EC106 community, and Crewe turned down 2 bids today(from Tranmere and Brentford).

Lukaku is said to have told his Belgium U21 colleagues that he is keen to stay in England, and that if things don't work out at Crewe he is keen to work under Mr Holt at Crystal Palace

In other Crewe news Russian keeper Soslan Dzhanaev is joining Milwall for £5,125,000, and forward Jason Scotland, currently on loan at Colchester, is keen to make his move to the division 4 high flyers permanent.

yE1670jY.jpg

Izod Blasts Ruthless Field

Just 24 hours before tomorrow nights big division 2 clash, Millwall boss Dave Izod launched a blistering attack on his counterpart Liverpool’s Tom Field. Forty year old Izod is said to be enraged by the controversial Fields behaviour of late and after the recent Darlington blackmail scandal, is said to have blown his top at the Liverpool’s recent attempt at signing of Manchester United’s José Bosingwa. Since United’s recent aggressive take over by a group of Swedish investment bankers, the club has caused a storm of controversy within EC 106, and after a series of cut price transfers of some of the ailing giants biggest stars, has led to the club being subject to a root and branch SMFA inquiry. After a high profile campaign by respected Oxford boss Dave Belkevitz a host of 106 managers have signed up to an un-official trade embargo of Lancashire club. Along with Palaces Paul Holt, and several others, Field has swum against the managerial tide and swooped in with an astonishingly low bid for the highly rated Bosingwa just hours before the SMFA applied a banning order on all Manchester United transfer deals. The bid rumoured to be around £18 Million , is well under the going rate of £ 23 million and speaking to local radio, Izod was quick to zero in on the unsuspecting Liverpool boss.

‘ Not for the first time this season Field has shown his complete disregard for the goodwill that exists throughout the league. His outrageous attempt to black mail Michael Flounders into an unwise transfer was not only shocking but in my opinion illegal and I feel warranted SMFA action, and after the storm of outrage that followed I am amazed at his shameless attempt snatch Bosingwa. This ruthless and cynical attempt at asset stripping is typical of his bullying antics and disrespect for the wishes of the wider 106 community. He should be ashamed at himself and if he is too retain any standing within the league he should withdraw his bid immediately. I spoke on Sunday of the managers covenant that exists within 106 and in my opinion Field has acted in a complete and utterly contemptible fashion. With the squad and the financial clout Liverpool possess, its staggering to see such penny pinching and displays a unnaturally ruthless trait to his character. Obviously I am not surprised to see that the conman Holt has already beaten the SMFA transfer ban, with his spiteful signing of young Nogueira , a player who Palace do not need and who was signed purely to keep a stranglehold on the young riser market. These odious men should fill the wraith of the community and I implore other managers to follow our lead and refuse to enter into any future transfer dealings with either club.’

Izod’s outburst is sure to add to the tension at Anfield tomorrow night in a game in which both teams desperately require the three points. After the weekends disappointing defeat by leeds United, the Lions dropped down to 9th place, 2 points outside the play-offs.After yet another draw with Charlton on Saturday, table topping Liverpool have stumbled of late picking up only 15 points from a possible 30. The Lions make the journey North with a fully fit squad and the game is sure to see a more offensive approach from the south Londoners, with new signing Issiar Dia starting on the left wing of an attacking 4-3-3 formation.

yE1670jY.jpg

Izod Blasts Ruthless Field

Just 24 hours before tomorrow nights big division 2 clash' date=' Millwall boss Dave Izod launched a blistering attack on his counterpart Liverpool’s Tom Field. Forty year old Izod is said to be enraged by the controversial Fields behaviour of late and after the recent Darlington blackmail scandal, is said to have blown his top at the Liverpool’s recent attempt at signing of Manchester United’s José Bosingwa. Since United’s recent aggressive take over by a group of Swedish investment bankers, the club has caused a storm of controversy within EC 106, and after a series of cut price transfers of some of the ailing giants biggest stars, has led to the club being subject to a root and branch SMFA inquiry. After a high profile campaign by respected Oxford boss Dave Belkevitz a host of 106 managers have signed up to an un-official trade embargo of Lancashire club. Along with Palaces Paul Holt, and several others, Field has swum against the managerial tide and swooped in with an astonishingly low bid for the highly rated Bosingwa just hours before the SMFA applied a banning order on all Manchester United transfer deals. The bid rumoured to be around £18 Million , is well under the going rate of £ 23 million and speaking to local radio, Izod was quick to zero in on the unsuspecting Liverpool boss.[/font']

‘ Not for the first time this season Field has shown his complete disregard for the goodwill that exists throughout the league. His outrageous attempt to black mail Michael Flounders into an unwise transfer was not only shocking but in my opinion illegal and I feel warranted SMFA action, and after the storm of outrage that followed I am amazed at his shameless attempt snatch Bosingwa. This ruthless and cynical attempt at asset stripping is typical of his bullying antics and disrespect for the wishes of the wider 106 community. He should be ashamed at himself and if he is too retain any standing within the league he should withdraw his bid immediately. I spoke on Sunday of the managers covenant that exists within 106 and in my opinion Field has acted in a complete and utterly contemptible fashion. With the squad and the financial clout Liverpool possess, its staggering to see such penny pinching and displays a unnaturally ruthless trait to his character. Obviously I am not surprised to see that the conman Holt has already beaten the SMFA transfer ban, with his spiteful signing of young Nogueira , a player who Palace do not need and who was signed purely to keep a stranglehold on the young riser market. These odious men should fill the wraith of the community and I implore other managers to follow our lead and refuse to enter into any future transfer dealings with either club.’

Izod’s outburst is sure to add to the tension at Anfield tomorrow night in a game in which both teams desperately require the three points. After the weekends disappointing defeat by leeds United, the Lions dropped down to 9th place, 2 points outside the play-offs.After yet another draw with Charlton on Saturday, table topping Liverpool have stumbled of late picking up only 15 points from a possible 30. The Lions make the journey North with a fully fit squad and the game is sure to see a more offensive approach from the south Londoners, with new signing Issiar Dia starting on the left wing of an attacking 4-3-3 formation.

Tom Field has launched a counter attack on fellow manager Dave after his comments accusing him of tapping up Boswinga of Man Utd by saying that he knows very little about the UNDISCLOSED deal currenlty being negoited between the two teams and managers. The Liverpool already has stated that he doesnt have that type of money aviable to him and that he is currently offering a good deal to the manager including a 92 rated player.

Tom is annoyed by his counterparts reaction tot the whole affaer and accused him of "hoping to enrage other manager and cause distrupt arounf the whole community".

However Tom has agreed that he is trying to improve his act and to change hi ways of your deals after the Darlington scandal.

Guest 1CapWonder

Sutcliffe: Keep The Focus

Since taking the England job over a month ago, the Rochdale manager has certainly felt the pressure. His results at club level at first were good, but since England-Gate has hit EC106, it seems the job has hit all area's of Sutcliffe's life. His split from his long term girlfriend last week, was effectively down to a strained relationship caused by Sutcliffe spending more time with his players than with her. On top of this, Rochdale can't buy a win at the minute, and although they lie only 2 points behind 2nd, Shorpe are running away with the title, leaving only 1 automatic promotion place. Although the boss said anything higher than last year's 10th place finish is an achievement, he certainly won't want to give in so easily now, with only 13 games remaining.

Sutcliffe Said:

I do feel that I have been handed a lot this year, but I've taken it all in my stride and now that I have more time on my hands, with regards to off the pitch, I feel that I can get things back on the road. The win finally came last Friday so now we need to pick up our focus at club level and start competing like we were early on. We haven't had much look in recent weeks. Top goalscorer Rickie Lambert was out for over a month and now Kitson has been hit with this disgraceful ban. But with Wilko (Wilkinson) back in the side we are looking solid in defence and we are still working on getting Delphy and McCarthy playing together and in a way which suits the team. Going forward, we are no holds bars but we let ourselves down sometimes going the other way. We've worked hard all week, extra sessions and time together as a squad, and we're starting to feel like we were after our Pre-Season. Not refreshed, as the last quarter is likely to take it's tole, but up there, we are fresh and prepared and mentally ready for the challenges we have to face, starting tomorrow with Southend.

On current form, Dale cannot be classed as favourites, so a win come Wednesday night would be all that more rewarding. Southend have built a side boasting an average rating good enough to compete in the division above, and even the division above that. There form has been mixed, but boss Stewart Lauder is experienced enough to know how to pick up results away from home. His side are relatively new and the rebuilding process will take time, but they themselves know a win at Spotland tomorrow, could give them a great chance of securing a playoff spot come the end of December.

EC106 Times

The Week Football lost its integrity

It has truly been a torrid week in the footballing world with allegations of Blackmail and the recent Man Utd Gate incident which has called into question the integrity of several long serving managers and has seen a SMFA ban on transfers with Man Utd.

Blackmail

Long serving manager Michael Flounders rare press conference earlier in the week shocked most of the footballing world when he released a fax from Liverpool manager Tom Field clearly stating his intentions to blackmail the Darlington manager in order to sign Angel Di Maria stating that Darlington would lose there on loan keeper this has enraged many managers with the Darlington manager clearly sickened by this and was quoted saying the following in a press conference

Flounders also blasted' date=' "this set up has become a disgrace, it was a friendly and competitive league filled with honour, respect and people helping each other out, now it has become competitive, hate filled and cut throat. I am disgusted with it."[/quote']

He is not alone in his opinions of recent goings on in the league a recent opinion poll taken from 1000 readers of the 106 Times a staggering 65% think criminal charges should be brought against the Liverpool manager 30% think a ban would be more appropriate and 5% were unsure.

Man Utd Gate/Swede Gate

Really need a new name for the recent footballing travesty to hit the league Man Utd Gate just does not sound right but the recent take over of Manchester United by a group of Swedish investment bankers has been all over the tabloids almost like nothing else has happened in the footballing world and their far from enlightened transfer dealing have raised alarm bells from several influential figures in the footballing world most notably Dave Izod,David Belkevitz who’s influence has caused several bids on Man Utd players to be cancelled with the footballing world banding together to root out the potential and Impending fraud case that is on the horizon with the SMFA already moving to block transfers out of the club.

Shorpe United Transfer News

Lorenzo De Silvestri

Shorpe United today announced the unveiling of Lorenzo De Silvestri signed from Tranmere Rovers for a fee of 8.4 million. With Tranmere needing to raise funds, Crawford viewed the transfer as part of the continued rapid squad transformation at Glanford Park.

De Silvestri has featured very rarely for Fiorentina thus far this season, but Crawford suggested he expected De Silvestri to become first choice over the coming months, and decided to gamble, with Lorenzo also offering long term potential, featuring for the Italian U21's.

Callum Hewett

Crawford also had this further to say:

"I would like to specially highlight my thanks to Tranmere manager Chewett, who in these controversial times has been a breath of fresh air. In dealing with the transfer he was always polite and respectful, reasonable and realistic with negotiations and with great integrity, keeping to a gentleman's agreement while Shorpe raised funds for the transfer. I wish him the best of luck in EC106"

Quick Facts

Real Club: Fiorentina

Rating: 86

International Caps: 14 (U21)

Position: RB

lorenzo-de-silvestri.jpg

Transfer Frustration

I thought I would also share my thoughts following much frustration after (probably) the 7th enquiry from Tom Field for Davide Santon. It appears he has created many managers problems and I felt it time to add to these complaints, with him seeming intent to force a sale for Santon through persistence.

This as well as dealings with Swfcladie for Castro, which for a player, allegedly "for sale" has a very high price tag the latest counter offer being Tim Wiese + Thiago Motta + 5 million, with Crawford stating he wouldn't swap Motta for Castro in a sht swap, nevermind plus Wiese and 5 million!

setanta-logo-300x115.jpg

Preview

england-peterborough-united.pngPeterborough United vs Colchester Unitedcolchester-united.gif

Last time these two teams meet, it resulted in a 7 - 1 thrilling win for Colchester. Dragovics boys will be hoping to repeat the performance tonight. Peterborough will be hoping to turn the result around this time and impress there home fans. Currently they are in 7th place, a spot behind a playoff game. As for Colchester who are 3rd, they will be hoping for a victory so they can help their chances of cementing a certain spot the exciting 3rd Division. Colchesters last result was a 1 - 1 draw to 5th side Rotherham and Peterborough suffered a lose to Northampton 2 - 1. If Colchester manage a win they may take 2nd spot if Luton Town drop points at Bentford who are currently in 12th position with a strong side. Colchester will be playing their strongest side but will be slightly weaker with the departure of centre midfielder Barry Maguire. Rumours are that Colchester are linked to two other young centre midfielders to replace the Scottish born Dutch man. Maguire may be replaced by his replacment if the deal is accepted and goes through in time. If Colchester lose this match, it will weaken there chances heavily to get promotion, especially if Rochdale manage a win.

Peterborough-United--London-Road-Stadium_1084575.jpg

London Road, Peterborough ground where the match will be held.

Colchesters Man to Watch: Stanislav Manolev. The right back has played exceptionaly well for Colchester this season. The wing back was bought as one of the highest rated players of the team along side Rajkovic on 84. He is now the highest rated player rising to 86. The Bulgarian turns 24 soon and has played 16 matches for the season with 2 goals. Dragovic has been relying on him and Schmelzer on the left to get as forward as much as they could to support Nimani, Orlando Sa or Scotland as much as they possibly could.

54901.jpg

Manolev in action.

Peterboroughs Man to Watch: Juan Pablo Angel. The 34 year old striker has been relied on alot for Peterborough. He has only missed 1 games for the season playing 25 all up and has scored 13 goals. Peterborough manager David Pizzaro will be relying on him to test the young Colchester defence and maybe keep his goal scoring up.

juan_pablo_angel_isi_photos.jpg

Angel in action.

What Colchester manager Daniel Dragovic has had to say: "I was disapointed that we couldnt win last week because if we did we would have been second. We now have to win this week and hope Luton drop points again. It wont be easy especially because of the departure of Maguire. Hopefully who ever we buy to replace him does well and he probobly wont play this match if we do get him early enough. I am hoping that we can snatch a victory like we did last time away from home."

What Peterborough manager David Pizzaro has had to say: "I feel that we can win this match. I feel that the last lose to Colchester 7 - 1 was unluck and we didnt deserve it considering we had one more shot than they did the whole game but they manged 6 more goals. Hopefully we can stop there attack this time around and find a few goals ourselves which we havent been doing to badly latley."

Colchester Predicted Starting XI: Jourdren, Bonucci, Schmelzer, Rajkovic, Manolev, Pliatsikas, Fabricio, Pezzoni, Dos Santos, Nimani and Orlando Sa

Peterborough Predicted Starting XI: Zuberbuhler, Bocaly, Biancalini, Quattrochi, Fabio Santos, Korkmaz, Kaita, Bertolo, Angel, Barros Schelotto and Speed

Sentanta Prediction: Peterborough 1 - 2 Colchester: We belive that the pace of the youngsters at Colchester will be able to get past the more expirienced Peterborough sqaud. Colchester may be weakened with the lose of Maguire but we belive Dos Santos can fill his boots for the time being.

sky-sports-new-logo-252.jpg

********BREAKING NEWS********

Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan has today confirmed to Skysports News that his manager Paul Holt handed in his notice to him on Monday. Holt, who has been at the center of the " Utd Gate affair" regarding the transfer of French defender Rami for £5m, gave his notice to the Crystal Palace board after taking a training session with his first team monday afternoon. Paul Holt was appointed Crystal Palace manager on the 21st July 2008 and in his first season he guided The Eagles to 14th position. Off the pitch the club was struggling financially and Holt had to sell off his prize assets which ultimately got them relegated the following season. After a long season in Division 2 which saw Palace finish a disappointing 15th in his 3rd season, this season has seen his side challenge for promotion. Paul has took charge of The Eagles 147 times since he took over and has an average of taking 1.93 points per game.

At a news conferance Simon Jordan explained more about Holts sudden decision to quit.

simonjordanPA_450x300.jpg

"Paul gave the board his notice to quit the club on Monday. This came as a shock to me as I have been overall pleased with the way he has been managing the club this season. Paul did explain to me that it was only right for him to call it a day as his name has been tarnished after the Rami transfer from Man Utd. He said that it would be for the good of the 106 League and its reputation.

Myself and the board held an emergency meeting early Tuesday morning regarding Paul's notice to quit and we decided that in the best interests of Crystal Palace FC that we will block Holt's request and back him 100% over the affair.

Holt and myself have been involved in many ups and downs over the last 4 seasons. But Holt has shown to myself and to the board that he is the right man to take this club forward. Holt has spent a lot of money over the years but he has still managed to help the club post huge profits over the last 3 seasons which compared to previous seasons was remarkable.

Holt has also stayed loyal to Palace even when the chairmans of so called bigger clubs have tried to poach him away from Selhurst Park. Holt always said no to them. Holt was also appointed manager of France while being Crystal Palace manager which proves to me that we have a trully World class manager here at Selhurst Park.

And so it was impossible for myself and the board to allow such a promising manager leave the club with our consent. Mr Holt has a contract at Palace and under the terms of the contract he is unable to leave Palace without the boards consent excluding "special" circumstances which are currently not met. So for now, im happy to say Mr Holt is staying with The Eagles."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far Paul Holt has not been available for comment but it is understood that Mr Holt will stay at Palace for the time being.

Peterbrough Confirm Javi Martinez is fit

peterboroughunited.gif

After suffering an injury and therefore missing the last 3 games through injury it has been confirmed that the inspirational young Spaniard is fit to play against Colchester United. Javi Martinez, on loan from Sheffield Wednesday, has been a mainstay in the Peterbrough team this season, the heart of their midfield as well as being their playmaker. He was a part of the side that lost 7-1 to Colchester earlier in the season but was also apart of the side which mauled Northampton 7-0 and also the victories over Southend and Luton, both of which were 6-1. He told the PFC Official site;

"Obviously this is going to be a tough game, Colchester are close to the top but when we look at the bigger picture if we win this game tonight we will close the gap on Colchester to just 1 point. We have shown we can win and win well this season and I believe some of the younger members like myself have benefitted from the experience of Gary (Speed) and Juan (Pablo Angel). I think we have a great balance of youth and experience and tonight I think we will prove that balance. We are at home and 3 points will take us into the playoffs, I am certain we will get those 3 points."

javimartinez228x384.jpg

(The Peterbrough playmaker)

Confirmed Peterbrough United Starting 11: Pascal Zuberbuhler (GK), Gary Bocaly, Pablo Quattrocchi, Frederic Biancalani, Romeu Fabio Santos, Umit Korkmaz, Aguinaga Javi Martinez, Gary Speed, Nicolas Bertolo, Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Juan Pablo Angel.

Match Review

Division 2

16289_badge.jpg1 v 1PrestonBadge.gif

Middlesbrough failed to get the much needed win tonight against Preston despite things looking good early in the match with Boro dominating possession even so they failed to use it and while keeping the ball for 56% of the time they only hit 5 shots at the Preston goal throughout the match one of which gave them a quick lead after the start of the second half when Manuel Pasqual met a corner perfectly to head them into a 1-0 lead this however did not overly effect the visitors who were on the front foot and in the 55th minute Scott Parker's curling shot left Victor Valdes Motionless to pull Preston back level a minute later Preston were given another huge boost when Cristian Zaccardo kicked the ball before a free kick was taken to earn himself a second yellow card and leave Boro with 10 men for the last 35 minutes had this been earlier in the season Boro could well have collapsed at this moment but they showed there defensive strength to hold on for a point.

With only a point coming from this game Boro drop down to 6th place just in the playoffs 1pt clear of Millwall who stunned Merseyside while Preston broke there record to go 5 games undefeated they remain in 12th

BRENTFORD SHOW RUTHLESS STREAK AT LONG LAST

Brentford 4-1 Luton Town

Brentford went into the match with second placed Luton Town in yo-yo fashion with results being indifferent to say the least. Richardson has previously stated it was a matter of time before his side gave one of the big sides in the league ' a serious hiding ' sooner or later. Tonight was that night.

New man Roman Vorobyev scored his third goal in as many matches since his arrival from Russia after only eight minutes. A magnificent curling effort into the top left hand corner left Victor with no chance in the Luton goal. On 27 minutes Torres showed magnificent vision with a wonderful ball inbetween the static defenders and loanee Matthew Amoah sprinted clear before lobbing the ball over the keeper. It was a classy finish from the frontman and could prove a great peice of business from Richardson having lost out on Diouf who was recalled from his loan by Crewe. Brentford were in danger of running away with the match before half time and only the brilliance of Victor denied them a third goal. Luton showed they were by no means out of the match though with Fernando Hildago smashing a shot of the bar.

Into the second half and Luton got their goal. Brentford afforded Shirokov far too much room in the penalty area and were punished with a clinical low effort past Joe Lewis for 2-1. Brentford responded straight from the restart though. A super effort from Predigeur was well saved by Victor but Amoah was on hand to tuck away the rebound to make it a more comfortable 3-1 lead for the Bee's. On the hour mark it was nearly 4-1 with Vorobyev's stinging effort being cleared off the line. Luton huffed and puffed but couldnt break their way through the defence and Brentford were throwing bodies in front of every shot that was thrown in the direction of their goal. With five minutes to go, Brentford wrapped up a terrific win. Another new signing, this time from Charlton, Tremoulinas got on the end of an Andy Driver corner to finish the game as a contest.

610x.jpg

Tremoulinas ends the game with the fourth goal

I am obviously delighted with the win and the goals. What pleased me most of all is the fact that we did not let Lutons goal knock the stuffing out of us like it would have done previously. I have kept the faith because I know we have quality players. I know we can go out and perform like this and it has frustrated us all that we havent been doing so.

The win is just a start like we have had many times before this season. It is now time to put up or shut up for us. We still have a shot at securing a play off position if we can keep this going.

e319d2dbf8910b1e541e20a7b92cddb5.jpg

Richardson celebrates Brentfords third goal

Richardson is correct and Brentford are just the sort of team that could mount a serious challenge with the quality at their disposal. The gap is only five points as Brentford move into tenth position. Perhaps this win should act as a warning to their rivals that Brentford may at last be back in business.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

IPSWICH TOWN 0-4 OXFORD UTD

Oxford Utd came to Portman Road today and in front of a very good 16,000 plus crowd, dismantled the tractor men with abandon. Coach David Belkevitz seems to have instilled this air of confidence in his squad that defeat is not an option, although week in and week out the odds are piled high against them.

It took Oxford Utd just 21 minutes to go ahead when a powerful cross was sent in and up rose the majestic Darel Russell,

393223-2.jpg

to open his account. 0-1

Young Gary Glen was in today for suspended Santos Weldon and took his chance well in the 44th minute when he beat the offside trap to put Oxford Utd two up going into the interval. 0-2

_44603521_garyglen203.jpg

Oxford Utd continued to dominate after the restart against a lack lustre Ipswich Town and in the 60th minute, club captain Sam Ricketts smashed goal number three into the net from a low drive. 0-3

150px-Sam_Ricketts_Hull_City_v._Newcastle_United_2.png

Young winger Koutsianikoulis finished off the goal feast in the 70th minute when he picked up a short corner and curled it effortlessly into the gaping net. 0-4

kouts37944-300x223.jpg

There were three Oxford Utd bookings in this game and it's clear for all to see that the craggy Scots manager has injected some steel and fire into this young outfit. FT 0-4

The Oxford Utd coach spoke after the game, " It was a great display, Lauro in goal was fantastic and deserved his MOM award, but they are all stars, they all pull together when the going gets tough. It's hard to single out anyone as they are all important cogs in the Oxford Utd wheel."

7_front_small.png6_1190596348.gif12_front_small.png

Blackpool come out winners in clash with R&D

7_front_small.png6_1190596348.gif Blackpool 2-1 Rushden And Diamonds 68_1194086768.gif13_front_small.png

51% Possession 49%

6 Total Shots 14

3 Shots On Target 10

8 Corners 9

0 Yellow Cards 0

Stadium: Bloomfield Road

Attendance: 6,101

Referee: Georgios Kasnaferis

MOM: Buengo (Blackpool)

Blackpool strode out onto their home patch with a crowd of 6000+.Blackpool needed a win to bounce back after a narrow 2-1 loss to league leaders Shorpe United.Rushden and Diamonds were having a season exactly like Blackpool and they found themselves 3 places ahead of Blackpool.

13: GOAL!! - With a gaping goal from just yards out Simon POULSEN thunders it into the net! (Blackpool)

54: GOAL!! - Where is the defence?!? Walter ACEVEDO is allowed too much space and he makes no mistake from 10 yards! (Blackpool)

76: GOAL!! - A spectacular long range shot by Francisco JOÃO SALES flies into the top corner! (R&D)

new20setanta20logo-11-thumb.jpg

138_19051_14166275b2d0c5d.pngPeterborough United 1 - 2 Colchester UnitedColchester.jpg

S. Manolev 56

G. Barros 79

F. Nimani 87

Another great win from Dragovic's boys. This now moves his team up to 2nd place. The match preview suggested that Colchester would win 2 - 1 and that Manolev would have been the man to match for Colchester which all happened. Altough Colchester didnt have there best of performances that managed to get a vital 3 points away from home which meant they took 2nd spot away from Luton who drew again. It was a more positive match from Peterborough than the last time they meet which ended in a 7 - 1 lose but still didnt manage a win against the young team of Colchester United. Colchester dominated in possesion as always 61% to 39% but suprisingly had less shots, 20 to 17. Colchester only managed 5 on target to Peterboroughs 11. Colchesters goals came from rightr back Manolev and the top scorer of the league Nimani who scored the winner. Peterborough striker Barros made it 1 - 1 but Colchester found a way back. Colchester will be looking for another 3 points at home against Boston at home.

Manolev struck in the 56th minute with a scrap in the box which fell to his feet and put Colchester in front. It was the players 3rd goal for the season and it was one of the more important ones he will score this season to help Colchesters religation hopes.

0902118EBD8EB28EBD1-18ECC8EDE8ED98EB68EDE8ED88EB1.JPG

Manolev in action.

Barros Schelotto equalied with 11 minutes to play with a scored with a superb shot which thundered into the back of the net. It seemed as if they had the momentem but look what happens next...

p1_barrosschelotto.jpg

Barros Schelotto celebrating but was it enough?

The man who has dominated this season Federic Nimani who scores his 17th with a quality finish past the keeper. With only minutes remaining Colchester managed to hold onto there lead and go home with 3 points.

45d81d3e0caa3b9c23b2ddc71a6d98a2.jpg

Players surrounding Nimani after saving his team the 3 points

Middlesbrough Team News

Division 2

fulham%20badge.gif v 16289_badge.jpg

Middlesbrough maintained there unbeaten run against Preston in midweek with a draw however Boro really did need to take all 3pts from that game and despite going 6 games undefeated they have dropped 8pts with the team drawing 4 of their last 6 games.

Middlesbrough look set to name an unchanged squad of 16 for the 216 mile trip down to London to face Fulham with the current squad of players pleasing the Manager after there 3-1 win over Colchester in a friendly with Stewart Downing picking up a brace of goals with calls from the Boro fans for Downing to start in England's next world cup qualifier also scoring in that friendly was Gonzalo Bergessio with his first goal for the club hopfully he will be able to add to that at league level while on loan David Nugent could make his first appearance for Middlesbrough if coming off the bench.

Fulham are without Aleksandar Lukovic who is out for another 3 days with a sprained ankle while Julio César Caceres,Ángel Dealbert,Heiko Westermann,Michael Ballack,Andrade Diego Souza and Carlton Cole will all need to pass late fitness tests with Ballack a serious doubt only 38% fit

Bryant: Wendel should be fit to face Watford

geraldo-wendel_diaporama.jpg

Geraldo Wendel: Sidelined for the past three weeks with groin injury

Charlton Athletic boss Dean Bryant remains optimistic that midfielder Geraldo Wendel will recover from an injury problem in time to feature in his side for Saturday's Division 2 clash with Watford at The Valley. The 27-year-old sustained a groin injury in home match against Cheltenham last month and has been sidelined for three weeks. Bryant, however, predicted that Wendel may return to the squad on Saturday after the club's physio has confirmed that he is fit to start to normal training yesterday.

Bryant said: "Wendel has since started training with the rest of his team-mates and he is working hard to get back to full fitness. I am confident he will be fit for tomorrow. The doctors think so but I won't take a risk. If he is not fit, he will not play."

Armand Traore deputise in the absence of Wendel and has made a promising performances in his substitute appearances. If Wendel does not recover in time for Saturday's clash, the 20-year-old left midfielder will continue to feature from the bench. But Bryant is no doubt Traore is ready for more senior games.

English Championship 106 Division Two

Match Preview

20_1198938111.gifCharlton Ahtletic v Watford83_1200424529.gif

Charlton Athletic's form has been inconsistent for the past few weeks, and the defeat to Preston North End in a friendly match on Thursday has not helping them with the confidence. But a visit from a struggling Watford could get them back on the track for the promotion. Watford has won once in their last nine games and they may face a daunting trip to the South Londers who has lost once in their last five games. With Charlton having lost to Leeds United and a draw with Norwich City in recent weeks, there is hope that they can steal a point.

Yet Charlton are high in confidence and, while they are struggling to get the goals against smaller clubs, they will feel capable of getting them back with their attacking style at home ground. They have scored once in their last three games but Dean Bryant believes the team is more mature and patient this season. The Addicks boss revealed they were not playing to their usual attacking style when they lost to Preston yesterday in a friendly match and has hinted they will be doing their attacking play on Saturday.

Charlton player in focus: Radamel Falcao. Charlton's top scorer last season has again struggled to make the consistent form, but he remains the most likely man to help Charlton get back with the goals. Falcao ended his goal drought in the 1-1 draw with Norwich City and could partner Eduardo da Silva. Both strikers have netted a total of fourteen goals out of thirty-three goals this season.

Watford player in focus: Mamadou Niang. Last season's top scorer in the Division 3 has so far struggled to make the grade in the Division 2, but he will remain as the Hornets' best threat to any sides. Niang scored only four goals in twenty-two goals but his recent goal against Crystal Palace has given him much-needed confidence to help his side avoid the relegation.

Key battle: Andreas Beck v Samir Nasri. Beck has reasserted himself as Watford's first-team player and his hard-working display has won him some praises from journalists. With Samir Nasri currently playing a key role in creating attack, Beck could go some way towards restricting their creativity if he successfully carries out a one-on-one marking job on the talented French.

Tactics: Charlton adopted a defensive approach when they took on Liverpool and Norwich City in their previous league fixtures but they are likely to try to create more attack when they are playing in front of their fans. Charlton will continue to play a 4-4-2, with Eduardo da Silva and Radamel Falcao up front and the likes of Samir Nasri and Marco Marchionni providing the invention. Watford will likely use their normal 4-4-2 diamond and they are likely to try to shut the home side down and try to nick a goal from a set-piece. Sotiris Kyrgiakos and new signing Andrea Coda are likely to be tasked with breaking down the play.

Quotes: Nigel de Jong on the game: "It is a very crucial time for us. Against Watford, it is a must-win game for us in order to catch up with the other promotion chasers."

----------Watford goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa: "We have to get as many points as possible against regardless sides and to avoid relegation we need some luck."

Charlton team news: Eduardo da Silva is still doubt for the match with fitness problem but is expected to continue to form a partnership in the attack. Geraldo Wendel has recovered from groin injury and has return to normal training. Dean Bryant has hinted that the Brazilian could feature in the match. Left-back Fernando Navarro is still facing fitness problem and his fitness will be assessed again before the match. Centre-back Alessandro Gamberini is expected to return to starting lineup after clearing his fitness problem.

Watford team news: Midfielder Yohan Cabaye is suspended with one match after picking five yellow cards and will miss the trip to South London. New signing defenders Andrea Coda and Nacho Monreal are expected to make their debut in the match after completed their transfers from Manchester United and Osasuna respectively.

Probable Charlton line-up (4-4-2): Marco Amelia, Bacary Sagna, Sébastien Puygrenier, Alessandro Gamberini, Fernando Navarro, Marco Marchionni, Nigel de Jong, Sami Khedira, Samir Nasri, Radamel Falcao, Eduardo da Silva.

Probable Watford line-up (4-4-2 diamond): Stipe Pletikosa, Andreas Beck, Andrea Coda, Sotiris Kyrgiakos, Nacho Monreal, Rasmus Elm, Ludovic Obraniak, Carlos Eduardo, Mario Santana, Mamadou Niang, Kevin Mirallas.

The Soccer Manager Times prediction: Watford are in poor form and, although Charlton failed to win against weaker sides in the past, a home win seems by far the most likely outcome.