English Championship 106 - Transfer/Gossip thread

Burrow27

Re: English Championship 106 - Transfer/Gossip thread

Grimsby ready for new season

tiotefrankievercauteren.jpg

Today is the day that football fans around the country look forward to with the release of the new fixtures. Fans begin to plan their trips and tick off their must see games.

Grimsby Town fans will be happy with their sides first game of season 13 with them making the trip to the coast to take on AFC Bournemouth a club which are tipped to take the wooden spoon by finishing bottom of division 4.

The Mariners first home game will be against Blackpool followed by another home game against relegated Swansea.

Grimsby have been boosted by the news of two new players arriving at the club on loan. Phil Jones has returned for a second stint at the club from Tranmere Rovers after making 22 appearances last season. The second player to agree a move to Blundell Park is Cheik Tiote who also comes from Tranmere. Tiote is a center midfielder by trade and did enjoy a loan spell at Cheltenham last season were he made eight appearances.

Steve Thompson spoke to the clubs official website after the new had broken.

"It's an exciting time for everybody when the new fixtures are released including myself. Having seen the first game i am very happy with it. We will be considered favorites but we will treat Bournemouth with the respect they deserve.

We have also added two new players to the squad in Phil Jones and Cheik Tiote they come as part of the agreement we have in place with Tranmere and i think they will both play a major part in our season. Everybody knows about Phil anyway and he will have no problems settling in and having him here will help Cheik get used to the environment"

Charlton_Athletics_320logo.gif

Charlton announced squad number for Season Thirteen

Charlton Athletic have announced the squad numbers for the upcoming campaign in Division One. New players like Alain Traore and Modibo Maiga were given number 36 and 11 respectively. Samir Nasri has been given the captain armband for the new season campaign while Bruno Alves taking the second role. Bacary Sagna will continue to provide assistant to the captain and vice captain. Rasmus Jonsson, Nampalys Mendy and Josep Souza are selected to join the first team for the first time and have been given their squad numbers. They are expected to continue their progress in the Under-23 Youth Cup. Micah Richards and Tomas Necid have been selected as captain and vice captain respectively for the youth competition.

Charlton Athletic Squad Numbers

1. Huerelho Gomes (GK)

2. Bacary Sagna (2nd VC)

3. Franco Teixeira Douglas

4. Francisco Fernando

5. Micah Richards

6. Ivan Obradovic

7. Georginio Wijnaldum (Ln)

8. Samir Nasri ©

9. Radamel Falcao

10. Javier Pastore

11. Modibo Maiga

12. Sebastian Leto

13. Sebastien Pocognoli

14. Nicklas Bendtner

15. Sami Khedira

17. Zano Ananidze

18. Nampalys Mendy

19. Henri Lansbury

20. Juan Valera

21. Cabral Rafael (GK)

22. Gael Clichy

24. Francois Affolter

25. Tomas Necid

26. Bruno Alves (VC)

27. Nacer Barazite

28. Ignacio Camacho

29. Julian Schieber (Out Ln)

30. Fernando Aitor (GK)

33. Pedro Botelho

34. Josef Souza

35. Andreu Fontas

36. Alain Traore

39. Rasmus Jonsson

SpainBanner.gif

Spain qualify for knock-out stages after tense draw with Switzerland

Spain qualified for the last 16 of the World Cup Finals in South Africa after a nervy 2-2 draw with eliminated Switzerland, to progress in 2nd from the group ahead of unfancied Ecuador.

Before the game, Ecuador had a slight advantage via goal difference, after Spain's 5-0 drubbing against leaders Portugal. However with Ecuador losing to Portugal, and Spain holding out for a draw, La Roja qualify for the knock-out stages for the first time under Burrow, and the first time a nation coached by Burrow has reached this stage.

Spain face Wales tonight, with the tournaments underdogs finishing top of the group featuring Russia, France and Paraguay. Manager James Burrow has emphasised that he wont take Wales lightly, with the Garteh Bale-inspired nation remaining unbeaten throughout the group phase. Burrow also hinted at changes, although not as dramatic as the Portugal game:

"Of course Im delighted that we have qualified for the knock-out stages, it is a persoanl achievement for me. However Im also disappointed in the manner of the qualification, scraping through and requiring Ecuador to lose. In all fairness, had Switzerland played like they did against us against Ecuador, I wouldnt be sat here. However, the knock-out stages gives us a chance for a fresh start. Jesus Navas is now back in contention after suspension, and Fernando Llorente is pushing for a start after some good cameo performances off the bench."

No Hargreaves as Preston name squad for new season

England midfielder Owen Hargreaves is the main absentee from Preston's squad listing, which was revealed today.

Preston revealed their list of 32 players for the new season today ahead of the start of the season on Saturday. Before that, Preston will entertain title favourites Manchester United in a pre-season friendly.

Preston Squad Numbers

2. Glen Johnson

3. Ashley Cole

4. Sami Hyypia

5. Robert Huth

6. Tom Huddlestone

7. Joey Barton

8. Luka Modric

9. Romelu Lukaku (Ln)

10. Micheal Owen

12. Sean St Ledger

13. Michael Bradley

14. Guti (vc)

15. Peter Crouch

16. Sergio Canales (Ln)

17. Fabio Aurelio

18. Gareth Barry (vc)

19. Danny Welbeck

20. Danny Simpson

21. Stevan Jovetic

22. Simon Mignolet (GK)

23. Jamie Carragher ©

26. Jack Rodwell

27. (retired)

28. Daniele Gastaldello

30. Matthew Upson

31. David Wheater

32. Marco Amelia (GK)

34. Martin Kelly

37. Conor McLaughlin

40. Vito Mannone (GK)

41. David Weir

47. Dani Pacheco

Jamie Carragher remains captain with Gareth Barry and Guti vice-captains. Marco Amelia keeps the 32 shirt despite #1 being vacated. New signings Luka Modric and Rob Huth gain #6 and #5 respectively, while Conor McLaughlin is rewarded for a good run in the reserves with #37 shirt. Loanees Romelu Lukaku and Sergio Canales gain #9 and #16 respectively, while Joey Barton becomes the first #7 under James Burrow.

vddbgm.png

Alexis Sanchez set to star in Forward Role

alexis-sanchez-6.jpg

It has been announced today that Chilean superstar Alexis Sanchez will be used as the main Forward for the upcoming season,he has got competition for his place however with Brandao,John Carew and Irenesunz Jelen all set to compete for the one Forward positions,it's expected that this greater responsibility is mainly an attempt to give Alexis greater responsbility and keep away interested clubs such as West Brom,Tranmere,Southampton and Bolton Wanderers.

However this means Notts County will need to strengthen in the Wide positions as they now only have Biabiany,Ryazantsev and Hilbert who can play in the wide positions,although Fetfazidis is expected to play a part later on in the season it's been confirmed they want another Winger to add some extra strength to the side,it's also been said that they want a Centre Back and a Goalkeeper to complete the side for the upcoming season.

Busy day on transfer front for North End

Preston and Spain coach James Burrow returned from a lacklustre World Cup display to oversee the departures of two of his players, with Owen Hargreaves and Matty Upson shown the exit door.

Refusing to answer questions about his Spain future, Burrow confirmed to the press that the injury prone Owen Hargreaves had been allowed to leave the club, and that a fee of roughly £10m had been agreed with Cardiff City:

"We wish Owen the best of luck at Cardiff. Ben (Cardiff manager Ben Newman) was great to deal with, and has got a great player in Hargreaves when fit. We have offered to nurse Hargreaves back to full fitness if needs be, and will be delighted to help in any way shape or form. The fee will remain undisclosed, but I will say the fee reflects the value we paid to bring Owen to Preston last season."

Upson also leaves for Lancashire rivals for a cut-price £5m, despite reported interest from Sunderland, who had appaently lodged an £8m bid for the England international defender:

"Matt hasnt had the best of luck at Preston. He has been a good servant to the club, but has always found himself being in a squad player role, not a starter. He wants first team football, I couldnt deny him that. He leaves as part of a greater deal, which we are not willing to disclose yet."

Burrow also revealed that club vice-captain Jose Guti has been allowed to enter talks with another club over a prospective move:

"We have reluctantly allowed Guti to talk to another club. Guti has been taking his coaching badges at Preston but still wants to be an active part of the team. I cannot promise him that. Guti has been very professional and it will be sad to see one of the greats of the game leave."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVWrcWB2MOcPVhx10BFFL5rSRMoY0FykSDcZ5LGaXyX_0N98R8

Dan Malone takes over at Watford

dn1.jpg

Manager Dan Malone has taken the job of guiding Watford to the Premier league .He has got down to the task early and brought in a few great players .Ezquiel Lavezzi comes in as the number one forward ,Ismael Fuentes comes in to strengthen the back line,Mark Noble will add some steel to the midfield centre and Pable Zabaleta will cover in defence as well as defensive midfield.

Zabaleta will be announced as captain.We have a few more fingers in a couple of pies so this may not be the end of the signings.

For one Yohann Pele who has had a training ground bust up with the boss will certainly be off as soon as he finds a club.

New Boys in at Watford

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYqkJgY3AFe1I7mnYasldLoR8mL0w8cSvMHEorufsE-mnjejRz8w

Ezquiel Lavezzi who will spearhead the new seasons attack

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBhbQmVuRGGxf5CJwKpiQzU7xgA_tqRAh1SrmhWHoC-1gmYNpX

Ismael Fuentes a tough tackling Centre Back

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhxs4G0gabazArIalRRVqeXyKLk0DxlsXgsUjVR24e6Flkthv6Pw

Midfield hardman Mark Noble will add a bit of steel.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLd9Gr4t2Pcobp43_VKhWfPRyjoSKAZjuODtBoJIXYdyoUUt2_

No nonsense utility player Pablo Zabaleta could mean the difference of promotion.

Charlton_Athletics_320logo.gif

Charlton Athletic's Squad Reviews

Georgia wonderkid Zano Ananidze will likely deputise suspended Sami Khedira in the opening game against Sheffield United. Left back Ivan Obradovic could be leaving Charlton soon after Spain rating review is completed as we feel we have enough covers on the left back position with Gael Clichy and Sebastien Pocognoli as the better choice.

We are very please with the defensive line of Bacary Sagna, Bruno Alves and Gael Clichy, all rated 92. They will provide the defensive covers in front of goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes, rated 90. To have players like Micah Richards (rated 89), Teixeira Douglas (rated 89), Franciso Affolter (rated 86), Sebastien Pocognoli (rated 87) in the first team, we feel we have very good depth in defensive department and will be playing a rotating role during the busy campaign.

New signing Francisco Fernando, rated 90, will be playing in the defensive midfield role, which has been covered by Sami Khedira in the past few seasons. Fernando was first signed by Dean Bryant in Season 7 during his Carlisle United management days but now Fernando has re-joined Bryant at Charlton Athletic in the final few weeks of Season 12. Samir Nasri (rated 93), who is selected as the new captain, will retain his right midfield position while Javier Pastore and Sami Khedira, rated 90 and 91 respectively, playing in the central midfield role behind the strikers. Charlton are still looking for marquee signing who is expected to field in the left midfield, which has been the concern in Charlton squad since Geraldo Wendel departure to Everton in Season 11. Negotiation is still on the way for the left footed player. But for the meantime, Sebastian Leto or loanee Georginio Wijnaldum, both rated 87, will get their chance in the starting role.

In striker role, Radamel Falcao, rated 91, is expected retain his starting role, partnering new signing Nicklas Bendtner (rated 89), who joined from Preston North End for £16 million. Charlton were struggling for goals in mid Season 12 and the 6ft 3in Denmark international is expected to provide aerial threat to the opponents. Tomas Necid and new signing Modibo Maiga, rated 88 and 87 respectively, will provide covers and are expected to lead the Charlton spearhead in the English Championship Cup and English Championship Shield. Julian Schieber (rated 87), who is on loan at Rushden & Diamonds, could be another backup, if needed.

Guest 1CapWonder

2hd2tu0.jpg

Trump Targets Stability

610x.jpg

New Rochdale Chairwoman Gives First Press Conference

Ivanka Trump spoke to the media for the first time today since being appointed chairwoman of Rochdale Football Club. The 29 year old is the daughter of American businessman Donald Trump, who has a net worth reported to be over 2.7 billion. Whilst Rochdale has a history of attracting blonde socialites, Ivanka appears to be a little different in terms of drive and ambition. Determined to make a career of her own, Rosella Sensi (Rochdale's Italian Owner) claims she appointed Ivanka on her own merits, and believes that she has the abilities to take the club forward. Karen Brady left Rochdale in the second half of last season, leaving the position of chair open. Having forged a recent history of being dominated by women at the top of RAFC, the trend didn't buck, and Ivanka has been trusted with what must certainly be one of the toughest jobs in football. Constantly dealing with the erratic genius of Elliot Hilton, who has arguably one of the safest jobs in football after taking Rochdale to promotion after 36 years in Division 4, is a day to day struggle. The 18 year old is prone to controversy, but Trump spoke of nullifying his image, and ironing out the flaws in a quite remarkable young manager. Hopefully, he will show respect, to what appears to be a remarkable young businesswoman. EC106, sit up for Ivanka Trump...

Firstly, can I ask why Rochdale, Ivanka? Why football? Why this job?

I think you mean why soccer? (Laughs) I'm going to have to get used to that aren't I. Football, with feet. I get it now! Well, to be honest I never really considered what I would venture into next. I have just been waiting for the right opportunity and I was over in the UK when Rosella got in touch. I came to speak to her, had a look around, did some research and I was sold. It's a challenge, but I like what this club offers and the kind of community they have here. Rochdale may only be a small town on a small scale, but the things they have achieved under Elliot have been massive. He's put this club on the map, and I want to help take them on further.

Have you met Elliot yet?

No! He's currently on vacation in South Africa with his girlfriend. Heidi right? She's from The States so hopefully we can get on well. I think me and Elliot share similar attributes, certainly in terms of ambition. All I have heard is good. He has a place in the heart of everyone at Rochdale, from the players I was introduced to, to the tea ladies who made me "a cuppa" Is that right? (Laughs) So yeah, all I hear are good things.

Do his off-field antics not concern you? He slept with the last chairwoman in your position...

I can't make judgements. Elliot is highly thought of at Rochdale and that's all that matters for now. Obviously, he's been in and out of the American press having dated Paris and Heidi, and being involved with Lohan and Fergie and so on, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. People forget he put Rochdale on the map, and no one things less of the town or football club because of his actions. Obviously I hope to try and cool his enthusiasm, and avoid anymore incidents that bring the club into disrepute. If Elliot can curb his public image and settle down, then Rosella believes he can be one of the greatest managers EC106 has ever seen. I believe her, so I want to do my job right and work alongside him. Oh, and to respond to your second comment, don't worry, he's not my type!

There have been reports that you have only got this job because of who your father is. How can you answer these critics?

To keep my dad out of it! Obviously, some Rochdale fans will think that by appointing me, a lump of cash comes with. This isn't the case. I want to to my job as a chairwoman and I have responsibilities that come with that. Running to daddy and plucking cash from his wallet isn't on my job list. Rosella gave me objectives and I am now going to begin devising strategies to meet these. If I do my job right, then I'll be here for many years to come. That's how I answer my critics.

Where can you take Rochdale Football Club?

I want stability first. I want to see this club improving every season and hopefully improvement this year means playoffs and maybe promotion. I'm learning more and more about "football" (Laughs) every day, and I want to watch and learn as much as I can! However, I'm realistivc. This is sport, and sport is unpredictable. I want to see the club doing things in the right manner and pushing forward! We are all a team, from Rosella to me, myself to Elliot, and Elliot down to his players. Supporting the chain we have all the staff and all the fans. We need everyone to pull together and push on this year. I'm extremely excited for what's up ahead!!!

Ivanka spoke confidently as Rochdale fans await the long trip down to Plymouth this coming Saturday. Season 13 may be unlucky for some, but the way the football club is now running, Rochdale may see a turn in fortunes soon...

ivanka%20trump.jpg

Ivanka Trump: Not just a pretty face...

Liverpool Matchday Programme Season 13, No. 2

image-5-for-bill-shankly-gallery-195588010-1-3.jpg

We welcome Andy Howat’s League and European Champions Arsenal to Anfield today. We will be hoping to reverse last season’s 2 -0 defeat in what promises to be an entertaining start to the season.

It has been a disappointing pre-season, culminating in Wednesday’s draw against a determined Forest side. Hopefully, the cobwebs have now been dusted off and we can play to the level we all know we are capable of.

Guest of honour today is former Chart Topper and life-long Gooner Lee MacDonald. Lee, who just said ‘No’ to professional acting to pursue an ill-fated boxing career, has his own ‘Timpsons’ franchise in North London. Lee will be cutting keys ‘While-U-Wait’ in the Mega Store after the match.

zammogh1.jpg

Zammo - 'nuff said

Since my last article we have said goodbye to the Über-Douche. ‘J.T.’ has been lured south by the filthy lucre. Sadly this also puts an end to the fortnightly Sunday Car Boot Sale in the players’ car park.

Gianluigi Buffon and Giorgio Chiellini both join us from Tottingham, and it was with considerable regret that we allowed Michael Essien to leave as part of the deal. Giorgio was victorious in the club’s annual Royal Rumble to decide the season’s team captain. He entered the contest at #24, and super-kicked Franck ‘Rocky’ Ribery over the top rope for the final elimination. Great Stuff!

The squad is in place, the team is picked, preparations are complete........

Are You Ready for some FOOTBALL?!!!!

M'Vila Set to Exit Victoria Road

Liverpool-Enter-Yann-MVila-Race.jpg

M'Vila speaks to journalists ahead of his proposed switch to Arsenal

French midfielder, Yann M'Vila, is nearing a move to division 1 giants Arsenal after Hartlepool United accepted a bid for him earlier today. The 20 year old, who has made 70 appearances for the Monkey Hangers, is set to make the move to London in the next 24 hours in a deal which will see Johnny Evans and Esteben Granero aswell as £7 million go to Hartlepool in exchange.

It is believed that over 10 English league sides had tabled bids for the youngster after the newly promoted side announced yesterday that M'Vila was available again, after taking a no sale policy for the majority of the Frenchman's time at Victoria Park. However, Arsenal were believed to have placed the best bid and after hours of negotiations, a deal was struck.

Speaking to local media, M'Vila said;

I want to thank everyone involved at Hartlepool for supporting me the whole time I have been here and special thanks must go to the fans who I will always remember in my heart.

It is going to be a great challenge to play for such a great side like Arsenal but I'm really looking forward to it and hopefully I can make a big impact there.

Watford's team for the season

After completing the major signings that will be done for the season Watford are happy to name the players who will hopefully guide thm to the title .

watford.jpg

This is the first team and the subs (not including youth team.

Manager Malone had this to say:

I am happy with the squad I have here and with some careful guidance we can go far , maybe we will add one or two but with bringing in Lavezzi , Zabaleta and a new goalie they should give us that spark that the last manager and the team was missing last year.

Ben Newman - My First Week As A Bluebird

Cardifflogo.jpg

New Cardiff manager Ben Newman made his first public appearance today since joining the club on Sunday evening. The bluebirds boss was said to be busy with transfers but decided an appearance in front of the camera's for the first time would show the fans that he is ready to do anything to win them over after last night's 2-0 friendly defeat to Everton.

Ben Newman:

Last night should be put in the past, Everton are a very good team and I'm not going to say we where robbed though many fans might want me too. However I won't use that excuse and I do take full responsibility for the defeat, something I hope not not be saying much again this season.

Newman also went on too talk about the transfer's that have happened over the past few days and are on going.

Ben Newman:

Obviously transfers are one of the most frustrating thing's in a football managers life but once you get one done you feel a sense of accomplishment and pride, this was certainly the feeling when the deal for Hargreaves was complete yesterday. I can also reveal that today we have agreed fee's for 3 new players. The players being Rob Green of Crystal Palace, Boaz Myhill of Wolfsburg and Emmanuel Riviere from West Brom, I cannot reveal the price's at this moment in time but can reveal that Vladamir Weiss will be leaving in the deal involving Riviere

Irvine1.jpg

Newman want's to take the positives out of last night's defeat

Riviere.jpg

VladamirWeiss.jpg

Weiss and Riviere will be swapping places come tommorow evening

RobertGreen.jpg

Robert Green will take over from current number one keeper Mark Schwarzer between the sticks

Hargreaves.jpg

Hargreaves signed on the dotted line earlier today

BoazMyhill.jpg

Back up for Rob Green could be vital this season, that's where Myhill come's into things

Thompson aiming for winning start

AFC Bournemouth vs Grimsby Town match preview

1975075505soccerbarclay.jpg

Fraizer Campbell will be hoping to be amongst the goals for Grismby

Grimsby begin a new season tomorrow when they travel the long distance to the South Coast to take on AFC Bournemouth in division four. The Mariners will certainly be favorites for the game with the home side considered odds on to take the wooden spoon by finishing bottom of the football pyramid.

Grimsby have brought in a few new faces through the close season. Phil Jones has returned for a second loan stint and he is joined by fellow team mate from Tranmere Cheik Tiote a 24 year old midfield. The latest loan signing to arrive at Blundell Park is 23 year old striker Fraizer Campbell. Thompson had been seeking a striker since it was revealed that Javier Hernandez was unable to return to the club and Campbell will now be hoping to have the same effect as the little Mexican after he agreed a season long loan from Leyton Orient.

Alberto Zapater will be missing for the Mariners having still to serve a two match suspension so Dickson Etuhu looks likely to deputize. Kieran Richardson will be named captain in Zapater's absence.

Before setting off on the long trip South Grimsby boss Steve Thompson spoke to the press.

" I really can't wait to get the new season underway it's felt like a lifetime waiting to get going. I think the squad looks in good shape and i feel we can have a successful season if we keep relatively injury free.

I was delighted to bring Phil Jones back. He is a bright prospect and we are very lucky to have him. Cheik and Fraizer are two very good additions and they bring some much needed quality to the side.

We can all look forward to the new season with renewed optimism and i will certainly be targeting a top half finish"

argentina-flag.gif&t=1&h=86&w=133&usg=__JHKXr5K9FdPrqVCRyhQtmxvRiN0=

ARGIES WORLD CUP

ENDS IN HEARTBREAK!

World%252520Cup%252520trophy%252520thumb.jpg&t=1&h=94&w=94&usg=__YE1yCHfbFgc60N9Vbpi69HqJexo=

ARGENTINA 2 - 3 PORTUGAL

D.MILITO 40

C.TEVEZ 56

Half Time

(1 - 2)

M.LIEDSON 13

C.RONALDO 18, 63

Possession

44% 56%

Total Shots

27 22

Shots On Target

12 14

Corners

10 9

Yellow Cards

1 0

Red Cards

0 0

A devastating blow to manager Ratcliffes first world cup campaign in 106 although not 1 to be ashamend of!.

Having managed to see his team there by playing the likes of Messi and Tevez in a more midfield role to accomodate his other star striking options we managed to catch up with the argentine national coach..

The game was a game in which we were pritty much fairly beaten. We did well to get here and to have won it would have been amazing but it wasnt to be. Hopefully we will have a go at it again and this time manage to go the whole hogg and win the competition..

squad sheet for final game..

1 S ROMERO 6

2 N BURDISSO 6

3 C ANSALDI 7

4 M DEMICHELIS 7

5 E CAMBIASSO © 7

6 L MESSI 7

7 L GONZALEZ 7

8 C TEVEZ 1 8

9 S AGUERO 7

10 D MILITO 1 8

11 G HIGUAIN 2 7

Argentina Substitutes

12 E GARAY -

13 A ORION -

14 G MILITO -

15 J MASCHERANO -

16 F GAGO -

17 Á DI MARIA -

18 L LISANDRO -

CONGRATULATIONS GO OUT TO PORTUGAL AND MANAGER MICHAEL FLOUNDERS!..

Season Thirteen

Preston North End v Manchester City

Match Preview

Preston North End kick off their Season 13 campaign at home to Man City, one of manager James Burrow's bogey teams while in charge of the Lilywhites.

The Citizens were one of only a few clubs to not be beaten by Preston last season, when North End finished 5th and qualified for the UEFA Champions League. City finished a disappointing 13th, and manager Bail Gaudin has acted swiftly during pre-season to add to his squad.

Gaudin has added eight names to the first team roster, with Givanildo Hulk, Yohan Cabaye and former North Ender Ricky van Wolfswinkel the pick of the bunch. In doing so, City have had a clear-out of their front line, with only Sergio Aguero of the forward three of Nilmar, Aguero and Lavezzi remaining. As regards youth signings, goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny is the highlight from them all, with the Pole expected to challenge Joe Hart for a first team spot.

Preston have also been busy in the transfer market, bringing in four new names but perhaps more importantly, letting three established names leave in the form of Owen Hargreaves, Matt Upson and Michael Bradley. Perhaps the biggest name brought in is that of Scottish midfielder Charlie Adam, signed from Blackpool as part of the Bradley deal. Adam has come in as a direct replacement for Bradley, and with Hargreaves gone finds himself in line for first team appearances. Luka Modric, Matt Gilks and Hugo Campagnaro also joined during the close-season.

Preston are set to give a debut to Croatian midfielder Luka Modric against City, after he scored a brace against neighbours Man Utd in the 5-4 friendly loss earlier this week. Romelu Lukaku is also expected to start having re-signed on loan from Sheffield United. Sergio Canales has also joined the club on loan again, however may have to make do with a place on the subs bench. Marco Amelia remains in net despite the signing of Gilks and the recall of Simon Mignolet from his loan spell at Swindon. Guti is named in the squad after talks with another club broke down.

Man City are likely to give debuts to three of their close-season signings, with Hulk, Schennikov and Blaszczykowski set to take to the starting XI. Schennikov didnt have the best of unofficial debuts against Rochdale on Wednesday, being sent off after 40 minutes. Fellow new signings Adil Rami and Yohan Cabaye will have to wait for their debuts, as they see out one match ban's picked up at their former clubs. Ricky van Wolfswinkel may start on the subs bench. Dangerman Shinji Kagawa will be a watched man tomorrow night, with the Japanese playmaker being a thorn in Preston's side on both occasions last season.

At today's press-conference, Preston boss James Burrow was asked who he thought could win the title this season, here was his response:

"People hoping for a response along the lines of 'us' will be disappointed. Accuse me of having a defeatist attitude if you wish, but I belive we will do well to emulate out fifth placed finish from last season. The league is so tricky now, you cannot predict where teams will finish. I bet you nobody put Blackburn in the bottom three last season. I bet Spurs were favourites to win according to most people. The league is very unpredicatble, and it will only be after the half-way stage that the league starts to take shape. Arsenal will have a task on their hands this season to defend their crown. They've strengthened in depth, but all the other title contenders have strengthened their starting XI, and it's those players who will make the difference. I expect Man Utd will be their closest challengers, now that Kop (Kopstar) can have a full season in charge. Dont write off Sheffield Wednesday causing a shock, we proved it's not impossible. Tranmere may struggle again, all this talk of the title at Prenton Park is a bit optimistic. I would be delighted with a top half finish if I'd just escaped relegation.

200px-Stoke_City_FC.svg.png

MANAGER RATCLIFFE

MORE THAN READY FOR SEASON OPENER

AT HOME TO LEICESTER CITY

The new man in charge returnd from his stint today as Argentine manager for the 106 world cup. Having been finally approached to manage a team in this worthy gameworld Ratcliffe found himself at the helm of the potters who were relegated to division 3 last season.

Having set his sights out on improving squad numbers so he could fully focus his first teams boys on direct promotion back to division 2 Ratcliffe has been more than happy with the 20 plus signings he has been able to make.

His aim for the league this season is a top 6 finish..

He had the following to say..

My team i feel is more than capable of doing a job in the division i now find myself in. I have been unable to bring in any new first team faces but i really didnt want to make no early mistakes to then regret.. spending money is replaceable.. a mistake sale usualy isnt!..

Stokes pre season form under Ratcliffe has been perfect.. 3 wins out of 3 against Manchester United, Crystal Palace and Walsall. If the form is to transfer in to the league then hopefully the egg will then land!..

Frings is to be first team captain as Ratcliffe decided to go with experience and the first team squad itself consists of 27. At the moment the team is settled but expect a deal or so as 1 or 2 faces will be available to move on once the season gets going and things are heading in the desired direction.

Guest drseanfitz

20041204crewealexander0.jpg

Meet Crewe's key men

6a00e54ed77b72883300e55.jpg

Steve Mandanda - France's number 2 keeper joined the Crewe revolution in the close season. The Congolese-born keeper clocked in around 250 apppearances for Southampton, but hopes to be able to keep Crewe in the top flight.

burdisso.jpg

Nicolas Burdisso - Argentinian international defender Burdisso arrived just in time to help Crewe through the play offs - will most likely be the mainstay at the centre of Crewe's defence ahead of Garay.

article12789691572590a6.jpg

Nigel De Jong - Dutch international midfielder who arrived from Arsenal in the deal that saw Lucio leave. was a key player in Crewe's end of season run to division 1. Will not be afraid to leave a few of division 1's big name players battered and bruised.

66300513.jpg

Lars & Sven Bender - The German twins both arrived from Preston, but have yet to be given the chance to make a name at Gresty Road, but this season could be the breakthrough for both of them, with manager Sean promising that Sven will be a starter from the off, whilst Lars has been promised a lot more game time.

539279949132b04b2dc7.jpg

Giampolo Pazzini - Italian international Pazzini is set to begin his 4th Season at Crewe, with a ratio of at least a goal every other game. The player is a huge favourite of the Crewe fans, and will look to prove himself in the top flight. Despite several bids from interested parties, Crewe have managed to keep the 26 year old happy at Gresty Road.

slothgoonies.jpg

Dirk Kuyt - Despite picking up career threatening injuries when falling from the ugly tree, Dirk recovered from the branch damage and appears to be making himself an intregral part of Crewe's team, forming an impressive partnership with Pazzini

400f72777974.jpg

Sean Fitzpatrick - the boss, and 2 times 106 personality of the season(Thanks lads), Sean has finally got Crewe to division 1, and will aim to keep them there. On the back of another succesful World Cup, where he guided a mediocre England side to the Semi finals, sir sean will once again be fighting the critics.

vddbgm.png

Notts County vs Cardiff City Preview

alexis_sanchez.jpg

Most of the focus will be on Alexis Sanchez who is set to play upfront in tonight's game.

Notts County are all set to play Cardiff City in tonight's Season Opener to the 13th season of EC106,whilst there are plenty of new faces for both sides after they both heavily strengthened during the transfer window,it's expected to be a familiar face who could create all the headlines,this will be down to Alexis Sanchez been deployed as a Forward instead of his role on the Wing which is where he played last season,it remains to be seen how much of an impact he can have in this position,but it's certainly got County fans excited ahead of the new season.

Clifford is expected to largely stick to the side that done so well towards the end of last season however there are still several new signings that are in contention,Samir Handanovic who is on loan from Liverpool is expected to start in goal as the move for Rene Adler fell through due to SMFA intervention.

One of the three new defensive signings Leandro Almeida,Mopou Yanga-Mbiwa and Jose Manuel Chico are also expected to slot in at Centre Back alongside Vasili Berezutsky,Roberto Hilbert is expected to start on the right hand side of midfield,whilst Topuz or Lorik Cana could start alongside Sulley Muntari,Brandao could also play behind Alexis Sanchez or John Carew could start instead.

phil-brown-tache.jpg

New Cardiff City manager Ben Newman who looks a lot like Crewe manager Steve Thompson!!!

Cardiff City are also set to start a new era tonight after last seasons relegation to Division 3,they are also under new management as previous manager Joe Robinson quit in the off season before Ben Newman took charge shortly afterwards,since the managerial change there has been plenty of transfer activity,as the likes of Emmanuel Riviere,Robert Green,Owen Hargreaves,Boaz Myhill and Robert Snodgrass have joined the club,with Andres Guardado and Vladimir Weiss been two of the notable departures,still how this new formula will work out is unknown,and many fans have there concerns that after the imminent sale of Mark Schwarzer to Preston that there isn't a single player rated above 88 at the club.

Still they are tipped for automatic promotion back to Division 2 by many despite the major changes at the club in the off season,and with two of the main promotion contenders going up against one another in a season opener it's expected to attract a good crowd at Meadow Lane.

Expected Lineups:

Notts County

Handanovic

Apam Berezutsky Chico Pieters

Hilbert Topuz Muntari Ryazantzev

Carew

Sanchez

Cardiff City

Green

Hutton Rozenhal Woodgate Pinto

Jarvis Hargreaves Ramsey Yamada

Riviere Bellamy

Season 13 | Turn 1

Match Preview

Notts County vs Cardiff City

When the fixtures first came out last week Cardiff where under old management but since then it has all changed for the bluebirds. On Sunday evening it became clear that Ben Newman would become the new manager at Cardiff and with the possibility of a few new faces before the season opener away at County the Cardiff fans where buzzing. As the fans anticipated there have been a few in's and out's during the week that could prove to be vital during the season to come, one of these signings was Owen Hargreaves who arrived from Preston on Wednesday. He spoke with the Bluebird Gazette and said this:

First of all I would like to thank James for everything he has done for me at Preston and I loved every minute of it, but when I heard I didn't make the squad for the new season I knew it was time for me too move on. The premier league was a great experience but the challenge of League 1 is also very difficult, County will offer a great opening game and there should be a few in the onion bag come the end of the game

But it hasn't just been Cardiff busy in the transfer market with County bringing in the midfield pear of Mehmut Topuz and Jose Manuel Chico from Wolves and local rivals Notts Forest. County manager Andrew Clifford is no fool though and being at the club since late 2009 is scary enough for any team.

A great game should be expected at Meadow Lane with both teams realistically hoping for promotion this season but at the moment both are focusing on winning the opening game.

Hargreaves2.jpg

Hargreaves will lead the bluebirds out for the first competitive game of the Newman era'

MehmutTopuzNottsCounty.jpg

Topuz will be looking to get the first league game for County under his belt

0,,10280~8825453,00.jpg

Match Preview

Hartlepool United Vs. Bristol City

Hartlepool United take on Bristol City tonight at Victoria Park in the opening game of the season. This is the home team's first ever game in division 3 and they will be hoping for a memorable result.

The Monkey Hangers will make several changes from the side that beat Nottingham Forest in last season's final game. Yann M'Vila has left for Arsenal while last season's loan signings, Kabore, Reus and Ndinga have alll returned to their parent clubs. Arsenal loanee, Bruno Cesar, is expected to start tonight's game along with Stuart Holden who is on loan from Wycombe. One of M'Vila's replacements, Johnny Evans, will also start but the other, Esteben Granero, isn't yet 100% fully fit and will play no part in tonight's match.

Bristol City have not made any significant signings during the close season and could field almost the same 11 that drew 2-2 with Notts County on the final day of last season. However, Dutch forward Jeremain Lens, is suspended and so will not take part in tonight's match.

DAN MALONE ENTERS 106 IN STYLE

As the 19th Manager of Watford Dan Malone stepped out on the Vicarage Road turf for his first game in charge he could feel the vast amount of the 20 thousand crowd were going to be an extra man on this hame game against Coventry City.Season Ticket sales have went through the roof since the early signings of Esquiel Lavezzi , Pablo Zabaleta and club record signing Mark Noble to name just a few.

The Team Line up

wlu.jpg

The line up today consisted if no fewer than 4 debutants Deivison Fabio ,Pablo Zabaleta,Ezquiel Lavezzi and Mark Noble in a 4-5-1 Line up .

Coventry played an attacking 4-4-2.

PABLO+ZABALETA.jpg

Zabaleta

Watfords new signing Zabaleta put the team 1-0 up after 21 minutes a goal which livened the crowd and seemed to busrt Waford into life ,Lavezzi then scored in 31 and 49 minutes to put Watford on easy street before Carlos Eduardo rounded off teh win in style.

y1pTxWu-tN9kWEPXHkuRmVNi74z6nN4Y4J1lbbubTerqtgKvE_2QyQWb2d2IqMfsTg4NSD73IVwNro

Lavezzi

The 4-0 Win sees Watford go top on goal difference a stat which elated Boss malone .

wlu2.jpg

When interviewed after the game here is what he had to say .

What a way to start your 106 career ,What a way for Watford to show there rivals that they mean buisiness this season , I am not getting carried away its only one game but for a team that before I took over finished 15th place in the league just 4 points away from relegation its a great start to get the points on the board early .The new guys brought in were amazing look at the Argentinian pair who were unplayable today

Pablo Zabalta (2 assists,1 goal),Ezquiel Lavezzi (2 goals, 1 assist) hopefully this is a start of a wee run for the team .

CardiffCityBanner.png

Newman's Losing Start

Irvine2.jpg

After a 2-0 friendly defeat to Everton in mid week, you would think Cardiff would of learnt from the error of there ways but facing a strong Notts County side was never going to be easy. County themselves came into the game with a 2-0 win over Shorpe on Wednesday night under there belt so expectations where high as they welcomed Cardiff to Meadow Lane.

Cardiff started strong and could of taken the lead after just 21 minutes had Handanovic not pulled off a superb save from new Blue bird's signing Riviere's volley, but the game came to life just 10 minutes later when a long ball down feild was neatly collected by Cana who turned and drilled home a right footed shot to give County the lead and send the Cardiff fans silent.

LorikCana.jpg

Cana drilled the ball past Rob Green into the back of the net

Though straight from the after goal kick off it was clear Cardiff weren't giving up and Bellamy could of put them level but a poor shot fell straight into the arms of Handanovic who cleared up field. Having a strong midfield you would think the home side would be more aware of the situation surrounding them, but on 36 minutes a mix up between Sully Muntari and Aleksandr Ryazantsev allowed Craig Bellamy to run through and slot a low shot past the advancing Handanovic in the County net, 1-1 going into half time and all to play for in the final 45'.

CraigBellamy.jpg

Home grown Cardiff boy Bellamy take's advantage of a midfield blunder

From the second half kick off Cardiff continued there good form from the first and piled on all the pressure and nearly took the lead, this time Woodgate heading the ball from a corner just past the wrong side of the post. With possesion on there side with half an hour to go you would expect an away win for the blue bird's but on 72 minutes the ball was squared to Berezutsky who wrapped home a screamer from the edge of the area to cause a roar from the home crowd. Soon Berezutsky was going to turn from hero to villain when he head butted Cardiff goal scorer Bellamy in the chest, maybe the wrong man to mess with but was rightly sent off. The game finished all in favour of County who didn't let Cardiff get just a sniff of the ball and rightly picked up all three points to kick off the season with a bang.

RobGreenCardiff.jpg

Robert Green picks the ball out of the back of the net for the second time in the match

Ben Newman:

Obviously a win would of been nice but well done to Andrew and his County side who fully deserved the win. A positive from the game has to be the MOM award going to Craig Bellamy, the lad's so passionate about his football and doing it for his homegrown team must be a very special feeling for him, I'm hoping he can be on the same form next game but as I said good luck Andrew and your squad for the season.

MOM:

ManOfTheMatch-Bellamy.png

C8E10BD9-9A1F-78CC-4C055B8F5056D017.jpg

BRENTFORD START SEASON WITH WIN

This pre season has been quite an active one for Brentford. Boss Darren Richardson sanctioning the departure of Anderson Luisao to Everton, this enabled the club to bring in some depth. The likes of Pedro Mendes, Cristian Brocchi, Angel Lafita and Marius Stankevicius add some experience and class to the side whilst the younger arrivals such as Israeli midfielder Almog Cohen from German side FC Nurnberg have joined. The loss of club captain Luisao is a big one but Richardson feels the club can overcome the Brazilian's departure and gain promotion to division three.

x160.jpg

MAIN MAN: Janssen ran the show for Brentford

The season kicked off with a home game against Luton Town. It was a chance to get over the painful way in which Brentford lost out on being in the playoffs courtesy of some lacklustre performances against Cheltenham, Ipswich and Rushden. This year needs to be different for Richardson, Baros and Cacau can score the goals to promote them if they stay fit whilst the midfield is creative with the likes of Taddei, Janssen and Mendes pulling the strings. The home fans got the best possible start, with just four minutes gone, Theo Janssen smashed a loose ball into the net. After a quarter of an hour the lead was increased to two with Cacau capitilising on an error at the back. The game was put beyond doubt at 3-0 just after the hour mark when a corner was cleared only as far as Janssen and he rocketed a half volley past the helpless Victor in the Luton goal. Debutant Stevie Naismith's impressive run finished off superbly but it was a mere consolation. Final score of 3-1 to Brentford. It was efficient play and chances were created and taken which has been a key issue in recent years for Brentford, not taking all their chances and paying for it later on.

After the match we grabbed a word with Richardson on his thoughts

_46239847_laszlo_web090820.jpg

It's important that we got a solid start to the season, Luton were always going to be tricky opponents. We felt we could get at their back three and when we went forward I stressed that we have no reason to rush. Take your time, lift your head and look for the pass. There is always space on a football pitch and we must use it and if we do so then we will create chances for our attackers to score. I felt we did that and took those chances well, Luton may feel hard done by as they had more efforts on goal but we bossed possession and the chances we created were better I felt.

Janssen was magnificent for us today, he has really settled in well since arriving from Swansea. It looked to me as though that little pairing in the centre of Mendes and Matuidi will work very well for us this season and I hope they keep fit this season as an injury to either one would be a huge shame. Cheltenham have been a thorn in our side recently, both our meetings last season ended with 2-0 defeats so that is something we need to sort out. We will have a sit down with our scouts and discuss some ideas on winning the match.

A new system of 4-2-3-1 worked well for Brentford in this match and it will be interesting to see if Richardson uses the same system again to get the edge on Cheltenham who have had the Indian sign over Brentford but with the quality on show at Griffin Park it will be a stern test for Aidan Ranfords side to make it three in a row. Something their manager has picked up on as well stating his opinion that Brentford may be the strongest side in Division four. Is this a genuine compliment for Richardsons men or is it just the mind games kicking in.