Hleb Move to Barcelona Seems Certain. Does that Mean we'll see Arshavin to Arsenal?

The Hleb Deal

As you've probably heard barcelona are closing in on Arsenal midfielder Alex Hleb and the deal should be done with in 24 hours. The deal is around £12-15m for the Arsenal winger.

Some Evidence:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/10/SOCCER_Arsenal_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=soccer

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1402771.ece

Now onto my actual Story

Arshavin to Arsenal

With Hleb going to barcelona it seems that maybe the Arshavin might not be needed by Barcelona as said by his agent:

Lachter went on to reveal that "Arshavin's future depends on what happens with (Arsenal duo Alexander) Hleb and (Emmanuel) Adebayor, as well as (Manchester United winger) Cristiano Ronaldo".

Arshavin admirers Barca are believed to be keen on signing both Hleb and Adebayor, meaning they may be out of the running for the Russian should they sign either one or both of the Arsenal players.

Should Hleb and/or Adebayor leave the club, that would appear to put the Gunners in a strong position to land the Zenit playmaker.

Perhaps the most confusing matter is the inclusion in the equation of Ronaldo, who is currently being courted by Real Madrid.

Arshavin's situation may be become clearer next week after Barcelona economic vice-president Ferran Soriano promised fans on Friday that "next week there will be news on Arshavin, Hleb, and Adebayor".

Source: Sporting-life.com

Now with Hleb Barcelona bound it seems maybe the Arshavin race is tilting towards Arsenal a bit. It is rumored that a 19million pounds bid for the Russin was turned down and the offer was from a british team(rumored to be Arsena or Chelsea)(Source 1) this time

Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1405490.ece

As Zenit have said that they want 24million pounds even though the race is tilting to arsenal i doubt they will be able to pay such money. Not able to but would they? We might see powerhouses like chelsea, liverpool and Man U or maybe even Tottenham splash money that arsenal cant at the Russian and the deal would probably go to them. Thats the problem Arsenal have the money but will they use it? The owners arent giving Wenger enough wenger said himself, That he might have to sell star players every season. Arsenal has rich owners but they dont seem to care!

That ends this segment of news

Written By xxArsenalxx

Source 1: http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/10/manual_103206.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Re: Hleb Move to Barcelona Seems Certain. Does that Mean we'll see Arshavin to Arsenal?

I can't see Arshavin coming to Arsenal as he has said he wants to play at Barcelona. I'm glad Hleb is going as Walcott can take his place on the right side of midfield and we can use most of the money to try and buy another midfielder as Gilberto looks like he is leaving

Re: Hleb Move to Barcelona Seems Certain. Does that Mean we'll see Arshavin to Arsenal?

The main reason Arshav might come to Arsenal is the fact that Hleb plays almost the same positions as Arshav so that might mean Barcalona might not need him. It says in my article if you read it

Nah... I can't see Wenger paying anywhere near what Zenit are asking for. Walcott will probably be 1st team next season. Nasri is likely to be in there somewhere too, and Vela will also be in the squad (probably as cover) instead of out on loan. Arsenal will be fine with those 3, and Eduardo returning from injury certainly won't harm the attack. They're more likely to sign a true centre-forward imo (assuming Adebayor leaves). Eto'o maybe?

They can do better than Arshavin anyway. I mean he's good, but I don't think he's ever going to be world class. A bit overhyped in my opinion, but who knows, maybe he'll surprise me one day. At the moment he's a better signing for a team looking to break into the top 4 than a team looking to win the league.

If Zenit keep insisting on such a high transfer fee, Arshavin will probably end up on the Chelsea bench next season.

The main reason Arshav might come to Arsenal is the fact that Hleb plays almost the same positions as Arshav so that might mean Barcalona might not need him. It says in my article if you read it

Arshavin won't come to Arsenal to replace Hleb. If and only if he ends up at Arsenal is if Adebayor were to leave. Nasri is Hleb's replacement. That would make four wide players at Arsenal, Rosicky, Nasri, Walcott, Eboue(although I'm totally against him at RM).

I agree tht they're unlikeyly to splash the cash but from my info:

Transfer Kitty: +22m

Hleb: +15m

Arshavin: -24

Nasri: -12

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow its exactly 0 lol

or was the transfer kitty 23 i cant remember thats wht it'd look like its highly unlikely but just wanted to show you how the money would of worked out

Nah. He's not Barca quality. They need someone better than him. It's either Spurs or the Chelsea bench for Arshavin.

I'm siding with Schuldinger here ... I don't think he's as great as some people are making him out to be. He REALLY disappointed me in the semi final against Spain (we can all have an off day but he just went MIA). :o

If Spurs have the money I think he is JUST the kind of player they have been missing for the past few seasons. With Berbatov, Modric and Arshavin their creativ midfield and attack would be quite leathal.

I have continually criticised Jenas for not possessing the quality to run the show in the middle of the park, he not a playmaker and that's what Ramos and Spurs desperately NEED! ;)

Herby

Re: Hleb Move to Barcelona Seems Certain. Does that Mean we'll see Arshavin to Arsena

Nah' date=' he's better than that.[/quote']

Well he hasn't convinced me yet. I don't know how he did in the Russian league last year, but it will take more than a few good games in the UEFA cup and a hit and miss Euro 2008 before I start taking all the hype seriously.

Who knows how good he might be in a few years, but right now he's more UEFA cup standard or CL fringe player.

At the moment, the only 'big 4' team he's good enough to start for is Liverpool (they're weaker on the wings than the other 3). He will make the Arsenal first 11 assuming Hleb goes, but it will be a slight step down in quality in my opinion.

Wenger is the best manager in the Premiership tactically, but if he really wants to challenge for the Prem and/or CL titles, IMO he needs to start thinking about the present team a bit more instead of constantly looking 5 years down the line. The last thing I want to do is offend any Arsenal fans, but to me it seems Wenger puts a bit too much emphasis on youth. Many times when a player starts to reach his peak, it seems like they get sold, and that puts them in danger of being perceived as a 'feeder' club for the rest of Europe's elite instead of serious contenders for the biggest trophies.

Hleb/Flamini etc need to be replaced with players who are as good or better right now (if they have the money)... they have enough promising youngsters in the squad as it is.

Re: Hleb Move to Barcelona Seems Certain. Does that Mean we'll see Arshavin to Arsena

Well he hasn't convinced me yet. I don't know how he did in the Russian league last year' date=' but it will take more than a few good games in the UEFA cup and a hit and miss Euro 2008 before I start taking all the hype seriously.

Who knows how good he might be in a few years, but right now he's more UEFA cup standard or CL fringe player.

At the moment, the only 'big 4' team he's good enough to start for is Liverpool (they're weaker on the wings than the other 3). He will make the Arsenal first 11 assuming Hleb goes, but it will be a slight step down in quality in my opinion.

Wenger is the best manager in the Premiership tactically, but if he really wants to challenge for the Prem and/or CL titles, IMO he needs to start thinking about the present team a bit more instead of constantly looking 5 years down the line. The last thing I want to do is offend any Arsenal fans, but to me it seems Wenger puts a bit too much emphasis on youth. Many times when a player starts to reach his peak, it seems like they get sold, and that puts them in danger of being perceived as a 'feeder' club for the rest of Europe's elite instead of serious contenders for the biggest trophies.

Hleb/Flamini etc need to be replaced with players who are as good or better right now (if they have the money)... they have enough promising youngsters in the squad as it is.[/quote']

All very valid points.

Maybe I haven't seen enough of Arshavin but from what I have, he certainly has the ability to compete with the very best.

I think the game against Spain was a one-off and to be honest, the task he was presented with was really nigh on impossible. Spain were the eventual winners and had immense quality in every department, whereas Arshavin practically had to carry a very average Russian team on his shoulders.

So truth to be told, I really can't see him being just Spurs or Chelsea bench quality.

And as much as I love Hleb, I'd put Arshavin on par with him.

Oh, and I agree with your last point on Arsenal. I really hate it when we sell players and replace them with younger ones with some potential when we should be strengthening!

I can't see Arshavin coming to Arsenal as he has said he wants to play at Barcelona. I'm glad Hleb is going as Walcott can take his place on the right side of midfield and we can use most of the money to try and buy another midfielder as Gilberto looks like he is leaving

I dont think tha walcott has enough experience to be a first team regular yet, but i could see Eduardo playing right wing forward

I dont think tha walcott has enough experience to be a first team regular yet' date=' but i could see Eduardo playing right wing forward[/quote']

I can't see Eduardo playing wide to be honest. If Wenger doesn't see Vela as a wide player, I can't believe he'd see Eduardo as a wide player either. Walcott has the ability to start for Arsenal, and the only way to give a player more experience is to put them on the pitch. He's certainly a better option than Eboue.

Anyway, if it's a choice between buying Arshavin, or buying a more defensive player to replace Flamini/Gilberto, then common sense tells you to forget about Arshavin. Who would you rather see in the Arsenal first team... Walcott or Denilson/Diaby? :rolleyes: