Stubborn pride v Progress - The Olympics debate

Stubborn pride v Progress - The Olympics debate  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

The Olympics football competition is a once in a lifetime chance to represent your team in a multi-sport event for footballers. For most it is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity as a result of the age stipulations. To win a medal for your country must be a true honour :) . Furthermore, the rules mean that countries get to showcase young talent. Many previously unheard names go on to make names for themselves, earn big money moves and countries get to blood these youngsters in a competitive tournament and see how they will perform in the pressure cooker of international football.

Recent stars who have performed well at the olympics and were largely not household names before the tournament in which they played include, Tevez, Mascherano, De Rossi, Chiellini (all 2004), Eto'o, Kameni, Xavi, Puyol, Marchena, Maldonado (all 2000), Kanu, Babayaro, Oliseh, Crespo, Ortage, Gallardo, Dida, Juninho and Luizao (all 1996). This is just a small sample and numerous others could have been named. Many either got big money moves soon after or became first team regulars being promoted from reserve teams in some cases. Many have gone on to have hugely successful careers at league and international level.

So why does the GB not get together to send a team to the olympics? Many reasons have been mooted. Some of the FAs are concerned that if they were to send a combined team, they may come under pressure eventually to join together for World and European cup campaigns. Others unrealistically boast that the whole squad will be made up of just their players with only one or two from the other nations of GB. Others cite the busy football schedule. Clubs maybe don't want to lose their stars to such tournaments and risk injury to star assets.

Surely all of these excuses are just that - poor excuses. Other nations proudly will send very good squads. They will reap the rewards of discovering new previously untried talents. FIFA has no legal standing to demand a combined GB team for international football as we have separate governments, parliaments and constitutions. Concerns about one country being over-represented can be allayed by a proportional representation if necessary. I feel it's time to shelve these seemingly stupid notions and send a team to the olympics and let us see the rewards. What better setting to try out previously untried youngsters without the demands or pressures of qualification. Many moan about the lack of oppurtunity given to home-grown youngsters these days. What better stage can we find than this? It can surely only benefit all concerned to see a GB team at the olympics :)

Re: Stubborn pride v Progress - The Olympics debate

Totally agree with this Smartdoc.

It's a real shame that GB is not represented at the Olympics, could it be that we are afraid of humiliation by the lesser countries?

I doubt it, as there are plenty of young talent out there and a trip to the Olympics would showcase them.

I know how disappointed young Chesterfield player Aaron Downes was at not being selected for the Austrailian Olympic Team, even though he scored twice in a recent friendly against China but, then again, I have to admit that he is not the most consistent defender in the world.

Widdy

Guest melbguy1

ahh, you made me google:)

I was only recenlty aware that England don't play in the Olympics, until then I just thought they were too poo to qualify (which is an educated guess :P)

Dunno, from what I read, the indiviual countries are pretty powerful in a 'rule making' committee and as you said, they are concerned that if they combine and field GB teams thay they will be forced to combine within this rule making committee too, which will bring their vote from 4 down to only just 1.

IMO I think England should stop hiding behind this GB thing for the olympics and all 4 of those nations should just compete as themselves.

Although we may have to wait for those old people that run that show to die before that happens.

I am looking forward to the Olympics even for Argentina and Brazil's squads alone :)

ahh' date=' you made me google:)

I was only recenlty aware that England don't play in the Olympics, until then I just thought they were too poo to qualify (which is an educated guess :P)

Dunno, from what I read, the indiviual countries are pretty powerful in a 'rule making' committee and as you said, they are concerned that if they combine and field GB teams thay they will be forced to combine within this rule making committee too, which will bring their vote from 4 down to only just 1.

IMO I think England should stop hiding behind this GB thing for the olympics and all 4 of those nations should just compete as themselves.

Although we may have to wait for those old people that run that show to die before that happens.

I am looking forward to the Olympics even for Argentina and Brazil's squads alone :)[/quote']

Always good to make you google, Melb :) . How did that talented Italian side (Pirlo, Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonera, De Rossi, Palombo, Gilardino et al from 2004 not win? :eek::P

Good point Stu. Perhaps a fear of failure plays some part - but it really shouldn't. The olympics are as friendly a set of games for an award you can get. And how proud are we always of our medal winning olympic sportsmen and women. No better encouragement to form a team than this.

You're right Melb. Messi, Aguero, Robinho and many more. Should be mouthwaterring, especially as olympic sides are usually not prone to playing with a defensive style and generaly play with more freedom and less of a fear of failure. Really looking forward to it. These sides in particular, but also the Dutch side will be quite tasty :)

• 6 months later...

Re: Should They Be a GB Football Team In The Olympics??

My views on the subject are posted on this thread:

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=26065&highlight=olympics

I really can't see any problem other than stubborn pride getting in the way of youngsters and beneficial progress in a world where all the home nation sides are sadly beginning to fall further down the pecking order in international football :eek::( .

I thought the British Olympic Authority already said they will enter a GB team in 2012... although at the moment, it seems that it will be an exclusively English squad because the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish FAs refuse to let their players take part because they think Sepp Blatter will force them to enter future World Cups and European Championships as GB, instead of as separate nations (for the record, I think they're right to be concerned).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/4614172/Olympic-football-team-looks-like-being-English.html

Actually i never considered that, if we are competing as one in the Olyimpics, i can see why the governing authorities would consider making us compete at other intertnational tournaments together.

I think that the Olyimpics should be an exception, although maybe other countries might take a leaf and combine ! like south america :eek::P ( i understand thats a continent )

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

I know times change but football politics rarely do. I remember well when after England won the World Cup in 1966, there was talk of a British eleven playing against the Rest of the World for some charity for children. Well, guess what, Alf Ramsay was to pick the side and lo and behold, it was going to be an all English side as it was on the back of their World Cup success. Well I can't talk for the great Welsh players who would have been around then but George Best, Denis Law, Jim Baxter to name a few, not good enough? Remember that Celtic went on to win the European Cup in 1967 with an all Scottish line up, perhaps they should have got Jock Stein to pick the team? But no, Alf wanted his 66 babes and albeit they were a very good side, don't insult my intelligence to say they were the best eleven players in the UK at that time. This is why it would never work as the team would consist of a token Jock, a Welshie and an Irishman, probably as subs :) the rest would be from ....you guessed it, England. Now I am one of the few Jocks who admired the England team of 66 :) Three world class players in Banks, Moore and B. Charlton with greats like Ball and Peters and Greaves, who didn't play because he ruffled Ramsay's feathers. But a team selected to represent GB would not work, I agree with Platini, we have four football associations within our country which is unique, this would be the first wedge for FIFA to get their way and bring all four nations together as other countries are envious of the fact that we have four votes in their view, when WE actually have only one.....each. So I am against GB having a football team in the Olympics. :)

UEFA and FIFA have both not denied that it could lead to a combined British football team, which most people in Britain do not want. So why do you want to risk this for a tourament that has so little value. We have the World Cup and European Championship, foorball should not be played at the World Cup. There is no support for a British football team in many parts of Britain and many fans will refuse to support a Britain team. This idea should not be imposed on us, unless there is support for it throughout all of the country.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Sepp Blatter has assured the four associations in the UK that a GB team in the olympics will not jeopardise our position with FIFA. I seem to recall that Hitler gave assurances that he would not invade Poland? What happens if we go ahead with this and Sepp has gone, where will that leave the situation when a new FIFA president comes in? It will be the first step to joining the four home nations, which the Europeans have always wanted. Anyway, GB has had football teams in the olympics but stopped in 1972 when the olympic powers to be allowed professionals into the games, that's when we pulled out of the competition. Just for the record, it was GB and N. Ireland. I just found out that the four home nations never entered the World Cup until 1946 because of all the problems with FIFA.

Sepp Blatter has assured the four associations in the UK that a GB team in the olympics will not jeopardise our position with FIFA. I seem to recall that Hitler gave assurances that he would not invade Poland? What happens if we go ahead with this and Sepp has gone' date=' where will that leave the situation when a new FIFA president comes in? It will be the first step to joining the four home nations, which the Europeans have always wanted. Anyway, GB has had football teams in the olympics but stopped in 1972 when the olympic powers to be allowed professionals into the games, that's when we pulled out of the competition. Just for the record, it was GB and N. Ireland. I just found out that the four home nations never entered the World Cup until 1946 because of all the problems with FIFA.[/quote']

Alot of the scottish footy assosioation dont want a joint team in 2012 for the fact english and scottish going together dont appeal to them and tbh i dont want a mixed team it would be all english players with the exeption of craig gordan cos every english keeper is pretty poor bar green and maybe darren fletcher so tbh it woudnt be a great seeing for any of the other countrys fans + i dont think republic of irealnd fans will be happy to join or some of them defo woint. In the end i think its a bad idea id rarther not see one but i dont see it happening any way.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Alot of the scottish footy assosioation dont want a joint team in 2012 for the fact english and scottish going together dont appeal to them and tbh i dont want a mixed team it would be all english players with the exeption of craig gordan cos every english keeper is pretty poor bar green and maybe darren fletcher so tbh it woudnt be a great seeing for any of the other countrys fans + i dont think republic of irealnd fans will be happy to join or some of them defo woint. In the end i think its a bad idea id rarther not see one but i dont see it happening any way.

It's got nothing to do with who would play. Even if Scotland had eleven class players that everyone agreed were the best, I would be opposed to that. It's about losing your identity as a football nation. The four nations are quite rightly proud of their OWN teams and don't need this to weaken the four nations with FIFA. And what has the Republic Of Ireland got to do with this? :confused:

Uefa president Michel Platini said that Great Britian does not exist in football, so they should be no GB football team.

That is the exact point!

Scotland is a country.

Wales is a country.

England is a country.

Great Britain does not exist.

If GB is allowed to be in the Olympics, we might as well allow China join up with Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea and whatever else.

Why? Because we have the same looks, accent etc.

Do you go around saying "I'm from Great Britain" or "I come from England"

Stubborn Pride? Im not even English.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

That is the exact point!

Scotland is a country.

Wales is a country.

England is a country.

Great Britain does not exist.

If GB is allowed to be in the Olympics' date=' we might as well allow China join up with Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea and whatever else.

[b']Why?[/b] Because we have the same looks, accent etc.

Do you go around saying "I'm from Great Britain" or "I come from England"

Stubborn Pride? Im not even English.

I agree with the football part but as a person from the United Kingdom, I am Scottish and British, whichever I choose, just as all the other three nations. In world politics, the United Kingdom is quite unique in this way. I live in the USA and when people ask where I'm from I say Great Britain, and if the conversation goes further I tell them I'm from Scotland, which tends to baffle Americans :) they tend to see all Brits as English and have liitle knowledge of our history.

I agree with the football part but as a person from the United Kingdom' date=' I am Scottish and British, whichever I choose, just as all the other three nations. In world politics, the United Kingdom is quite unique in this way. I live in the USA and when people ask where I'm from I say Great Britain, and if the conversation goes further I tell them I'm from Scotland, which tends to baffle Americans :) they tend to see all Brits as English and have liitle knowledge of our history.[/quote']

I guess being English myself I'm not that particulary worried by this as the Olympic team is under 23's I think with 3 over age players allowed, so half the team that would be playing in 2012 might not even be on our radar's yet. But living in Scotland theres the perception from people I'v spoken to about this that most of the team picked would be English and somehow Scotland would lose more national identity than the other 2/3 nations if they partake in this event. End of the day it would be a one off thing, FIFA havn't got the power to disolve nations so wouldn't have the power to disolve national teams, all it is, is a different reperensation in a different area of compertition than the UK is used to playing football in.