Dwain Chambers - should he go to the olympics?

Dwain Chambers - should he go to the olympics?  

1. 1.

• Yes, he's the best GB has and has served his punishment
    • No it's too early, maybe next time in the London Olympics
    • All Drug cheats should be banned for life!
    • He deserves a second chance and GB athletics should be supportive towards him

The much publicised Dwain Chambers saga goes on and on and on. Caught taking banned substances and subsequently admitting his crime he was initially given a much stiffer sentence. But as is commonplace in sport these days, an appeal panel for some reason reduced his ban and he is now back in competitive athletics (following unsuccessful attempts at other sports notably American Football and Rugby league).

Even British athletics officials and athletes past and present are divided as to whether he should be selected. Some say he has served his time and should be selected on merit after his successful runs in the Olympics trials. Others say he should be shunned and never be allowed to run again in British colours. Where do you stand?

Re: Dwain Chambers - should he go to the olympics?

At the end of the day, when he decided to cheat, he knew what the penalty would be if he got caught; yet he decided to take the risk.

The sad thing is, is that had he let his body develop naturally he still would have been a world class gifted athlete. Although he has allegedlly now been "clean" since he was caught, you still have to ask the question as to whether he still maintains an advantage from when he was using illegal subtances. Sure, they are out of his system, but would his body be as developed as it is now had he not taken them in the first place?

I think that it would be a disgrace to the country if he was allowed to represent us again. You only have to look back to the two Greek sprinters who were banned for doping offences a few years back. They were allowed to compete after their bans, accompanied by boos at every race, and doubts as to whether their perfomances were genuine.

Adrian Mutu, Edgar Davids, Jaap Stam and Frank de Boer have all been banned in football for taking drugs and yet they were all allowed to play football, so why should athletics be different. He served his ban so he should be given a second chance.

Pretty even vote so far, as would have been expected from such a contentious issue. It's fair to say we all have a little bit in us that would say people deserve second chances. Anyone can make a mistake after all we are all human (at least I hope so :P ). But when is a mistake a mistake and when is it a pre-meditated act of deception? Only the perpetrator can answer this.

Good points made by all so far. As Hesse says, would the GB public accept him back without a barracking. Are we forgiving enough? Also history of sport has unfortunately in the main shown that a leopard can't change it's spots. Many of those who have been pulled for drug taking and been given a second chance (particularly in Athletics) have gone on to do the same again. What do feel about Dwain. He seems repentant in some interviews and evasive in others. Could GB athletics risk bringing him back and possibly failing a drugs test in their home Olympics in London.

Bringing him back may be an example to others abut what people can do if they admit their mistakes and come back and work hard to become the best again. But if it backfires, what example will be sending young athletes of the future? Whatever the final outcome, it will be an agonising decision for all concerned.

Adrian Mutu' date=' Edgar Davids, Jaap Stam and Frank de Boer have all been banned in football for taking drugs and yet they were all allowed to play football, so why should athletics be different. He served his ban so he should be given a second chance.[/quote']

The point being with those players was that they served their bans (i.e a short-term ban), and then were allowed to play.

When Chambers cheated he was aware that he would be banned from the Olympics FOR LIFE. What's the point in a life ban if "the powers that be" then turnaround and say "Don't worry Dwaine, just because you're our fastest runner, for you LIFE does not mean LIFE". It makes an absolute mockery of the system in a sport where performance enhancing drugs can ruin the sport possibly more than any other.

Guest melbguy1

Adrian Mutu' date=' Edgar Davids, Jaap Stam and Frank de Boer have all been banned in football for taking drugs and yet they were all allowed to play football, so why should athletics be different. He served his ban so he should be given a second chance.[/quote']

theres a difference between taking sporting enhancing drugs and taking recreational drugs.

as for the rest I agree with Hesse.

Hes a cheat so he shouldnt come back. If he gets back then whats the point of having bans if he gets back so should every other person thats taken drugs there all the same they have cheated so if one comes back all of them should. Theres no point of having a banning system if he doas come back yes he may be britains best 100m runner but cheats never prosper.

Sorry, but Dwain Chambers not only cheated the other competitors, he cheated the fans and HIMSELF.

I think it's time for him to hang up his spikes, why should an Athlete who has worked and trained hard for the chance to qualify for an Olympic Games, have his chance taken away by a CHEAT.........the fans don't want him, the ex-Olympians don't want him and I certainly don't want him to represent my country.

I also believe in giving someone a second chance but, if you allow Chambers to race in the Olympics, I will always have in the back of my mind the thought, "Is it Chambers running or the Drugs making him run?"

Widdy

It is different in athletics because you play once, and receive your medal, whereasin football you are constantly playing.

I think he should stay banned :mad: