Grudge match set-up Prize discussion thread - season 1  

1. 1.

• tiga31 - Arsenal
    • Jake Turner - Fenerbahce
    • SoP Si - FC Schalke
    • Mr. Nice Guy - Roma
    • eddie101 - Palermo
    • Asian Invasian - VFB Stuttgart

Congratulations to all managers who competed and especially those who played out the whole season. Everyone who remained loyal will get preference for future set-ups I create :)

Now to the important bit - the prizes :D

OK First - the manager of the season. Several managers performed miracles through the season and deserve a mention. I'm going to put the main contenders for the award here. Remember you're only eligible if you've played the vast majority of the season. After careful analysis, there were 6 standout managers as follows:

tiga31 - Arsenal

Joined very soon after the start and performed miracles with his Arsenal side in arguably the toughest Div3. But for some late losses could well have won the Division. Tops the Average points of the set-up with an impressive 2.85pts per game.

Jake Turner - Fenerbahce

Cup winners after an impressive run and a good showing in the league as well finishing 5th in Division 1. Arguably may have finished higher were it not for fixture congestion. Equal top with tiga31 in terms of total points accummulated in the set-up (74pts)

SoP Si - FC Schalke

Custom set-up legendary manager who is always there or thereabouts when the honours are being decided and it was no different in this set-up. Given a hardish task on paper with FC Schalke but managed to guide them to promotion in Div2 and only lost out to eventual cup winners Fenerbahce in the semis.

Mr. Nice Guy - Roma

Topped the highly competitive Division 3 containing all the Worlds top teams leaving the likes of Barcelona, Milan, Man U, Chelsea and Inter in his wake. These teams will again be in Division 3 next season

ed shaw (eddie101 on forums) - Palermo

Despite losing 4 of their first games, ed managed to turn the teams fortunes around and ended up topping Division 1 on goal difference from unmanaged Celtic. A great achievement and congratulations on being the inaugural Grudge match set-up champions :)

Asian Invasian - VFB Stuttgart

Must of thought he drew the short-straw in terms of teams when placed in Division 2 with far superior teams, but to his credit stuck to the task and was rewarded with the Division 2 title. Survived a mid-season crisis when he went 7 games without a win to finish strongly and pass SoP Si to the finishing line (no mean task)

A poll is to be set-up to canvass opinion as to who is most deserving of manager of the season. Anyone is allowed to vote but managers opinions who have taken part in the set-up will be given preference. Don't get friends to just vote you because I'm not dumb and can note voting patterns ;) . The person who wins the poll will not necessarily win the prize as the final decision is mine and is non-negotiable. Sorry :o

Would all those in line for the award please make some form of post (no more than 100 words - feel like a school teacher now :D ) saying why they believe they deserve the award, so that anyone who wants to vote can assess your credentials for the manager of the season award :) No badmouthing the other possible winners achievements please

I'm of on holiday in the next two days for 2 weeks so a final decision will be made once I'm back. In the meantime feel free to use this thread to discuss any issues regarding who you believe should win the award and why. Also any managers interested in joining for next season leave a PM for me and I'll get back to you in 2 weeks time (only apply if you're committed :) ). The table thread, unfortunately, fell apart last season as to be honest it's too much for a working man like me to manage single-handedly :o . So I will be looking for captains next season to help out with weekly points for their team otherwise the team aspect will be abandoned - this was how it was suposed to work this season but many captains withdrew last minute. So if you're up for the job PM me :)

Lastly, as I promised, there will also be a draw for the lucky dip manager who will also win a standard set-up and all managers who took part in the majority of the season are in line for this. Again, this will be made once I'm back from holiday and will be performed by my missus to rule out any bias :D . Good luck to all for this.

Re: Grudge match set-up Prize discussion thread - season 1

Congratulations to all managers who competed and especially those who played out the whole season. Everyone who remained loyal will get preference for future set-ups I create :)

Now to the important bit - the prizes :D

OK First - the manager of the season. Several managers performed miracles through the season and deserve a mention. I'm going to put the main contenders for the award here. Remember you're only eligible if you've played the vast majority of the season. After careful analysis' date=' there were 6 standout managers as follows:[/font']

tiga31 - Arsenal

Joined very soon after the start and performed miracles with his Arsenal side in arguably the toughest Div3. But for some late losses could well have won the Division. Tops the Average points of the set-up with an impressive 2.85pts per game.

Jake Turner - Fenerbahce

Cup winners after an impressive run and a good showing in the league as well finishing 5th in Division 1. Arguably may have finished higher were it not for fixture congestion. Equal top with tiga31 in terms of total points accummulated in the set-up (74pts)

SoP Si - FC Schalke

Custom set-up legendary manager who is always there or thereabouts when the honours are being decided and it was no different in this set-up. Given a hardish task on paper with FC Schalke but managed to guide them to promotion in Div2 and only lost out to eventual cup winners Fenerbahce in the semis.

Mr. Nice Guy - Roma

Topped the highly competitive Division 3 containing all the Worlds top teams leaving the likes of Barcelona, Milan, Man U, Chelsea and Inter in his wake. These teams will again be in Division 3 next season

ed shaw (eddie101 on forums) - Palermo

Despite losing 4 of their first games, ed managed to turn the teams fortunes around and ended up topping Division 1 on goal difference from unmanaged Celtic. A great achievement and congratulations on being the inaugural Grudge match set-up champions :)

Asian Invasian - VFB Stuttgart

Must of thought he drew the short-straw in terms of teams when placed in Division 2 with far superior teams, but to his credit stuck to the task and was rewarded with the Division 2 title. Survived a mid-season crisis when he went 7 games without a win to finish strongly and pass SoP Si to the finishing line (no mean task)

A poll is to be set-up to canvass opinion as to who is most deserving of manager of the season. Anyone is allowed to vote but managers opinions who have taken part in the set-up will be given preference. Don't get friends to just vote you because I'm not dumb and can note voting patterns ;) . The person who wins the poll will not necessarily win the prize as the final decision is mine and is non-negotiable. Sorry :o

Would all those in line for the award please make some form of post (no more than 100 words - feel like a school teacher now :D ) saying why they believe they deserve the award, so that anyone who wants to vote can assess your credentials for the manager of the season award :) No badmouthing the other possible winners achievements please

I'm of on holiday in the next two days for 2 weeks so a final decision will be made once I'm back. In the meantime feel free to use this thread to discuss any issues regarding who you believe should win the award and why. Also any managers interested in joining for next season leave a PM for me and I'll get back to you in 2 weeks time (only apply if you're committed :) ). The table thread, unfortunately, fell apart last season as to be honest it's too much for a working man like me to manage single-handedly :o . So I will be looking for captains next season to help out with weekly points for their team otherwise the team aspect will be abandoned - this was how it was suposed to work this season but many captains withdrew last minute. So if you're up for the job PM me :)

Lastly, as I promised, there will also be a draw for the lucky dip manager who will also win a standard set-up and all managers who took part in the majority of the season are in line for this. Again, this will be made once I'm back from holiday and will be performed by my missus to rule out any bias :D . Good luck to all for this.

All look like they have made a huge and great effort this season although i am torn between Jake Turner and Tiga31 but i am going to go with Jake just because he also won the cup

Sorry Tiga

Well done to all of the Forumers that done amazing jobs on there teams this season

Would all those in line for the award please make some form of post (no more than 100 words - feel like a school teacher now :D ) saying why they believe they deserve the award' date=' so that anyone who wants to vote can assess your credentials for the manager of the season award :) No badmouthing the other possible winners achievements please[/b']

Honoured to be nominated, theres a lot of quality managers in the setup .

I think I deserved to be voted Manager of the Season because. . . .

I have won the strongest division in the setup, by a convincing 5 points, despite only bringing in 4 players at the start of the season, and not being able to afford to bring in any more since. I also made one of the buys of the season in Ezequiel Lavezzi, who scored 14 and had 9 assists in his 21 games (and had allocated him as my star player). :D

I voted for Mr NiceGuy and think he should be the best manager because he competed and won the division very convincingly, was consistent all season, and won the title in a really tough division.

He has my vote and I hope he does win, as he is doing already:D

Lets have a go at this :D :

Well, with one of the weakest teams in the division I managed to gain a 10+ point lead, and then saw it reduced to -5 :eek: , but I stuck at it, and eventually on the last day of the season, Simon slipped up and I was there to take the Div 2 crown. Strengthened the squad a lot with youths as well as older and more experienced players, and the squad is looking strong, and will be challengers for the Div 1 title. Made a great choice of star man, as Gomez finished top scorer.

So............Vote for ME! I did ;):D !

Guest R. Peters

I voted for Mr. Nice Guy because from the statistics I can clearly see he's made the biggest achievement by winning the toughest division with a weaker team in the division. I am also interested in joining this set-up if possible before Season 2 starts. ;)

I think i should be crowned manager of the season because i have started with possibly 1 of the poorest teams in the league with a couple of stand out players and now have a squad of some of the most talented players in the world, also i have won the cup which has shown great character and determination in order to do this with a Fenerbahce team;)

So please vote for me:)

I had a very small budget to work with, one of the lesser teams in the setup and still gained promotion to the top division and got to the semi's of the cup where I was knocked out by the eventual winners.

Saying all that thou, AsianInvasian put up a fantastic campaign against me in Div 2 so I think you should vote for him.

Not sure whether i should vote for myself but...

A) I only had a starting budget of 14 million

B) I only had a handful of good players - by that i mean 90 and up

C) Managed to win the division 1 title with an average squad rating of 87

D) Also my star player - Zinha - got player of the season:D

I have just joined this setup and taken over the job at Valencia i believe this is a very hard choice to make but i am going between Mr Nice Guy and Jake Turner, One of the hardest decisions to make but Jake Turner edges it as i hear he won the cup with Fenerbahce which is pretty impressive also finished joint top with the amount of Points(74)

Hope i am on this list next season as i hope to do well:D

Sorry to everybody else i did not vote for because everybody has done outstanding with their teams:cool:

I have just joined this setup and taken over the job at Valencia i believe this is a very hard choice to make but i am going between Mr Nice Guy and Jake Turner' date=' One of the hardest decisions to make but Jake Turner edges it as i hear he won the cup with Fenerbahce which is pretty impressive also finished joint top with the amount of Points(74)

Hope i am on this list next season as i hope to do well:D

Sorry to everybody else i did not vote for because everybody has done outstanding with their teams:cool:[/quote']

Cheers m8 looks like the cup win is slightly swaying the vote:D

• 2 weeks later...

mr nice guy gets my vote' date=' which makes it 9 all between him and jake.

beating the likes of man u, chelsea and barca with roma is some achievment.

i would take my hat of to you, if i had one![/quote']

This is my first post on the forum hopefully will be posting a lot in the next few years i was not sure who to vote for but opted to vote for Jake because he seems to of done really really well to do that well with Fenerbahce.

All 6 of these managers seem to really stick out to me although i was not in the league any chance of me being able to join

Sorry to everybody else who i did not vote for just Jake seems to stick out to me the most:o

• 3 weeks later...

Smarty going to make your decision anytime soon? :P

Yep sorry about that. The decision was far from easy and needless to say the two of you along with eddie101 and Asian Invasian were the main contenders. I've never seen a set-up where there have been 4 teams which were so closely matched in terms of performance. Hence why it took so long. I've known for a few days the final result' date=' but forgot to post (maybe partly cos my way of getting the prize to you guys has currently been compromised. Anyway after much deliberation and antagonising (and consulting of a few senior members of the forum), I am proud to announce the inaugural manager of the season in the grudge match set-up is:

[center']MR. NICEGUY (As Roma)[/center]

Congratulations to you and comiserations to the other contenders. It certainly was not an easy decision and I hope all concerned take it with good grace :)

The second award of the lucky dip manager was drawn by my wife from a hat. All those who had taken part in the majority of the season were eligible for this and the first name out of the hat was

NATHAN KIRBY (Villareal)

Congratulations to you both and if you could leave the name of the account to which I will need to buy the gift to on this thread, I shall do so as soon as possible. PS you may also need to add that account as a friend to one of my accounts :)

Congratulations MrNiceGuy a well deserved win there :D So Roma the team to beat this season then :P

And nice one Nathan winning the draw for committed managers' date=' couldn't of gone to a nicer bloke.[/quote']

yeah, and with him having won all his games and cup tie so far, well, he may be up for a second round.

P.S - You guys need to start making match reports on the thread, as its dying now...or you could pm me to be doing match reports once in a while for you.

yeah' date=' and with him having won all his games and cup tie so far, well, he may be up for a second round.

P.S - You guys need to start making match reports on the thread, as its dying now...or you could pm me to be doing match reports once in a while for you.[/quote']

i am going to start doing match reports for my fenerbahce again after tonights game:)

Yep sorry about that. The decision was far from easy and needless to say the two of you along with eddie101 and Asian Invasian were the main contenders. I've never seen a set-up where there have been 4 teams which were so closely matched in terms of performance. Hence why it took so long. I've known for a few days the final result' date=' but forgot to post (maybe partly cos my way of getting the prize to you guys has currently been compromised. Anyway after much deliberation and antagonising (and consulting of a few senior members of the forum), I am proud to announce the inaugural manager of the season in the grudge match set-up is:

[center']MR. NICEGUY (As Roma)[/center]

Congratulations to you and comiserations to the other contenders. It certainly was not an easy decision and I hope all concerned take it with good grace :)

The second award of the lucky dip manager was drawn by my wife from a hat. All those who had taken part in the majority of the season were eligible for this and the first name out of the hat was

NATHAN KIRBY (Villareal)

Congratulations to you both and if you could leave the name of the account to which I will need to buy the gift to on this thread, I shall do so as soon as possible. PS you may also need to add that account as a friend to one of my accounts :)

Woohoo :) Cheers Smarty and the senior forumers that aided the decision ;) It's a big honour cos like Smarty said there were a lot of managers equally deserving. Also congrats Nathan for the committed members prize.

(Account - Matt Burnett. Thanks again, and don't panic)

yeah' date=' and with him having won all his games and cup tie so far, well, he may be up for a second round.

P.S - You guys need to start making match reports on the thread, as its dying now...or you could pm me to be doing match reports once in a while for you.[/quote']

I've been doing them :P Need to do last couple though. And yeah, had a great start to season so far, but Real Madrid won every league game also. This is definately one of the most competitive setups I've been in, top marks to Smartdoc for that.

Woohoo :) Cheers Smarty and the senior forumers that aided the decision ;) It's a big honour cos like Smarty said there were a lot of managers equally deserving. Also congrats Nathan for the committed members prize.

(Account - Matt Burnett. Thanks again' date=' and don't panic)

I've been doing them :P Need to do last couple though. And yeah, had a great start to season so far, but Real Madrid won every league game also. This is definately one of the most competitive setups I've been in, top marks to Smartdoc for that.[/quote']

Well done m8 unlucky for me but good win anyway:o