Sign in to follow this  
TomOwen

SM Club Rankings

After looking at the list of the top 80 clubs rated by SM, I feel that there needs some change to it, as there are strange placings and clubs that shouldn't be placed where they currently are. I don't know how this is assessed although I assume it is based on the performances of the club and the leagues that the club is currently playing in. This is the current list of the 80 best clubs on SM based on SM...

1 Real Madrid

2 Barcelona

3 Internazionale

4 Milan

5 Chelsea

6 Manchester United

7 Bayern Munchen

8 Juventus

9 Roma

10 Atlético Madrid

11 Liverpool

12 Lyon

13 Valencia

14 Arsenal

15 Sevilla

16 Villarreal

17 Fiorentina

18 FC Schalke 04

19 VFB Stuttgart

20 Werder Bremen

21 Fenerbahçe

22 Hamburger SV

23 Marseille

24 Zenit St Petersburg

25 FC Porto

26 Espanyol

27 Tottenham Hotspur

28 Everton

29 Bayer Leverkusen

30 Bordeaux

31 Ajax

32 PSV

33 Manchester City

34 Benfica

35 Lazio

36 Portsmouth

37 Olympiacos

38 Newcastle United

39 Racing Santander

40 Paris Saint-Germain

41 Boca Juniors

42 Feyenoord

43 Palermo

44 Shakhtar Donetsk

45 Zaragoza

46 Galatasaray

47 Celtic

48 Udinese

49 Real Betis

50 Sporting

51 Rangers

52 Spartak Moskva

53 VFL Wolfsburg

54 Dynamo Kyiv

55 CSKA Moskva

56 Deportivo La Coruña

57 Borussia Dortmund

58 São Paulo

59 Blackburn Rovers

60 Saint-Etienne

61 Aston Villa

62 Panathinaikos

63 Sampdoria

64 Getafe

65 West Ham United

66 Besiktas

67 Lokomotiv Moskva

68 Mallorca

69 Hannover 96

70 AEK Athens

71 Athletic Bilbao

72 Torino

73 Napoli

74 Santos Laguna

75 River Plate

76 Cruz Azul

77 Atalanta

78 Monaco

79 Hertha BSC Berlin

80 América

I will give a review of the top 10 and what I think they should be placed at...

Real Madrid

Only managed to lift the La Liga, but in an impressive way. Got knocked out of the Champions League in the second round (the first knock-out round) and the Copa del Rey very early on. They definitely shouldn't be top with such performances in Europe and in the cups. Definitely not top, but in the top 3.

Barcelona - Number 2

Barcelona has just had a terrible season, finishing 3rd behind Villarreal (Rank 16) and Real Madrid (Rank 1). They were tied on points with Atletico Madrid (Rank 10) and Sevilla (Rank 15) and Racing Santander (Rank 39) were close behind. The best thing they managed were semi-finals defeat in the Champions League against Manchester United and a humiliating defeat against Getafe in the Copa del Rey. The last trophy they won was in the 2005-06 season when they lifted the double of Champions League and La Liga and since then have done a lot worse.

Inter Milan

Won the Serie A for the third consecutive time, beating AS Roma (Rank 9) but only a few points. Controversially got knocked out of the Champions League by Liverpool, but had a generally good season, until the end where they had a few slips but still managed to get their third Serie A title. A good season and enough to cling onto the third spot.

AC Milan - Number 4

If Barcelona had a terrible season, AC Milan had one of the worst seasons in a few decades other than the finish from Fatih Terim. They failed to finish in the top four and had to take an UEFA Cup spot although they possessed a great squad. They got knocked out of the Champions League and the Italian League Cup very early and pretty much they should just totally forget this season, a disaster to sum it up.

Chelsea - Number 5

Chelsea had a season which I would classify as a good season under Avram Grant's management. In any other year, they probably would have won the treble, if it wasn't for Manchester United who lifted the two most important trophies. Chelsea got into the Quarter-Finals of the FA Cup, the Final of the League Cup, the Final of the Champions League for the first time in history and finishing second after Manchester United in the Premier League. I feel that they deserve to be placed higher.

Manchester United - Number 6

Need I say much? Had a fantastic season, winning the Champions League and the Premier League with Cristiano Ronaldo's great form and John Terry's famous slip. They should be placed much higher.

Bayern Munchen - Number 7

Being Bundesliga's Champions doesn't bring you to Number 7 especially if you get thrashed by Zenit St. Petersburg (Rank 24) 6-1 at the Petrovski, losing in the DFB Pokal and failing to even qualify for the Champions League the season before last. Definitely needs to be lower.

Juventus - Number 8

They did not play in the UEFA Cup nor did they play in the Champions League, yet they are in front of AS Roma (Rank 9), who finished above them in the Serie A and beat Real Madrid in the Champions League, before being knocked out by Manchester United (Rank 6) in the quarter-finals. They are also in front of Champions League semi-finalists Liverpool and quarter-finalists Arsenal (Ranks 11 and 14 respectively) as well as Lyon, FC Schalke...

AS Roma - Number 9

Finished above Juventus (Rank 8) and knocked out Real Madrid (Rank 1) in the Champions League before losing to Manchester United (Rank 6) in the quarter-finals. Definitely needs to be in front of Juventus and Bayern Munchen who both did not play in the Champions League. They should be ranked higher in the rankings.

Atletico Madrid

How on earth do they manage to get 10th place in this ranking? Surely they only deserve a top 20 spot, but to enter the top 10, you must've been playing in the Champions League successfully in the past. Atletico only managed to finish fourth by a very close margin to Racing Santader and were over 10 points behind Villarreal (Rank 16). Should be much lower.

Other Rankings in Top 20

Arsenal - Rank 7

Liverpool - Rank 8

Lyon - Rank 9

Sevilla - Rank 13

Villarreal - Rank 14

Fiorentina - Rank 15

Valencia - Rank 17

Werder Bremen - Rank 18

FC Schalke 04 - Rank 19

Zenit St. Petersburg - Rank 20

New Top 80

1 Manchester United

2 Real Madrid

3 Internazionale

4 Chelsea

5 Barcelona

6 AS Roma

7 Arsenal

8 Liverpool

9 Lyon

10 Bayern Munchen

11 AC Milan

12 Juventus

13 Sevilla

14 Villarreal

15 Fiorentina

16 Atletico Madrid

17 Valencia

18 Werder Bremen

19 FC Schalke 04

20 Zenit St Petersburg

21 Fenerbahçe

22 Hamburger SV

23 Marseille

24 FC Porto

25 Everton

26 Tottenham Hotspur

27 VFB Stuttgart

28 Bordeaux

29 Bayer Leverkusen

30 PSV

31 Ajax

32 Lazio

33 Manchester City

34 Racing Santander

35 Celtic

36 Portsmouth

37 Rangers

38 Boca Juniors

39 Galatasaray

40 Sao Paulo

41 Newcastle United

42 Feyenoord

43 Palermo

44 Shakhtar Donetsk

45 Mallorca

46 CSKA Moskva

47 Olympiacos

48 Udinese

49 Real Betis

50 Sporting

51 Aston Villa

52 Spartak Moskva

53 VFL Wolfsburg

54 Dynamo Kyiv

55 Lokomotiv Moskva

56 Deportivo La Coruña

57 Borussia Dortmund

58 Chivas de Guadalajara

59 Blackburn Rovers

60 Saint-Etienne

61 Santos Laguna

62 Panathinaikos

63 Sampdoria

64 Getafe

65 West Ham United

66 Besiktas

67 Atalanta

68 Bolton Wanderers

69 Hannover 96

70 River Plate

71 Athletic Bilbao

72 Torino

73 Napoli

74 Cruzeiro

75 AEK Athens

76 Cruz Azul

77 Rubin Kazan

78 Monaco

79 America

80 Dinamo Moskva

Guest Lubos Kalouda

Re: SM Club Rankings

It is something that needs to be looked at but i thought it had something to do with the demand of the clubs aswell as the success of the clubs. Good Thread.

Guest melbguy1

:D Juve above LFC.. suck poo LFC :D

they are out of wack though

Guest SM Dev (Ste)

It has nothing to do with how well the clubs have done in real-life so this thread is way off the mark :rolleyes: .

It has nothing to do with how well the clubs have done in real-life so this thread is way off the mark :rolleyes: .

So please, how is it rated Ste? Because I think to rate clubs, their performances is the most important? :confused:

So please' date=' how is it rated Ste? Because I think to rate clubs, their performances is the most important? :confused:[/quote']

SM rate clubs according to the ave rating of the players, i think.

For example, due to the fact that the entire barca team is extremely highly rated, they are near the top of the rankings.

cheers

Guest SM Dev (Ste)

SM rate clubs according to the ave rating of the players' date=' i think.

For example, due to the fact that the entire barca team is extremely highly rated, they are near the top of the rankings.

cheers[/quote']

Spot on as it is based on their average squad rating.

So please' date=' how is it rated Ste? Because I think to rate clubs, their performances is the most important? :confused:[/quote']

I think SM clubs ranking are based on average rating of all the players, what i think is wrong, should only be based in the first XI, or the eleven SM puts as default, because teams like Barcelona that have a lot of youngsters rated 72,73, etc and is normal, their average rating be more lower..

Don't know Tom, why in your 'new rank' you put Porto behind Marseille, Valencia and Hamburg.. if you compare performances you will see Porto is in front of them.. to not speak of other teams..

Edit: slow as usual :|

Spot on as it is based on their average squad rating.

But there are faults in this case then, because there are sides with many youths like Liverpool and Arsenal and they are rated like 72 and 73, some sides have like twenty of those players so that will decrease their placings? So why not take the average of the best eleven players in the squad, not best team that is startable, but the best eleven players. :confused:

But there are faults in this case then' date=' because there are sides with many youths like Liverpool and Arsenal and they are rated like 72 and 73, some sides have like twenty of those players so that will decrease their placings? So why not take the average of the best eleven players in the squad, not best team that is startable, but the best eleven players. :confused:[/quote']

Yes this is true and it shouldn't affect their placing. Arsenal, Liverpool and Unted and others are handicapped in the rankings because of this

I think the ratiings should be based on the first team players of the real life squad which is simply taking out say the likes of Ramsey out of consideration for Arsenal, Nemeth from Liverpool, Gibson for United etc etc. That way only the first teamers are taken into consideration.

btw how on earth did Torino get above Atalanta? I am certain they got promoted in the same season as each other to Serie A and in the last two seasons have finished above them (Atalanta and Torino got promoted in the 05-06n season). 06-07 season Atalanta finished 8th and Torina 17th while in the 07-08 season Atalanta finished 9th and Torino 15th.

I see Gizb has already mentioned this but he used the SM XI for each team which is 4-4-2 and not every real life team uses 4-4-2 like Liverpool and Chelsea.

Yes this is true and it shouldn't affect their placing. Arsenal' date=' Liverpool and Unted and others are handicapped in the rankings because of this

I think the ratiings should be based on the [b']first team players[/b] of the real life squad which is simply taking out say the likes of Ramsey out of consideration for Arsenal, Nemeth from Liverpool, Gibson for United etc etc. That way only the first teamers are taken into consideration.

btw how on earth did Torino get above Atalanta? I am certain they got promoted in the same season as each other to Serie A and in the last two seasons have finished above them (Atalanta and Torino got promoted in the 05-06n season). 06-07 season Atalanta finished 8th and Torina 17th while in the 07-08 season Atalanta finished 9th and Torino 15th.

I see Gizb has already mentioned this but he used the SM XI for each team which is 4-4-2 and not every real life team uses 4-4-2 like Liverpool and Chelsea.

I said using the default teams because managers normally don't play 3 consecutive games with the same squad and try to change their scheme when face other team.. and if they already have the ''job done'' putting the best players in a 4-4-2 would be more easier start from there to upgrade this. :|

I believe TomOwens second table is more accurate. Rep for putting a lot of effort into your post! Also, if ratings are judged on performances, surely the the two tables should be the same, as the first one is judged on ratings, and the second is judged on performances. If I was part of SM (which I applied for but was REJECTED!!!) I would see that this was looked into because there are many clubs which are in ludicrous placings. Its as if the table is one, maybe two seasons out of date.

Parid St. Germain in 40th!!! :eek: They only just avoided relegation and looking at their squad now, theres only Landreau, Rothen, Makelele (just signed) and Giuly (just signed) who are any good. How were they better than Celtic, Rangers, Sporting, Blackburn, and Aston Villa. I think you were right TomOwen to relegate them from the list entirely.

Guest the plummer

Great work tom buddy

yours is rather accurate , well more accurate than sm's ,

but then again are you really trying to tell me that you know better than sm? because we all know they are 100% accurate:rolleyes:

dude bayern won DFB pokal. bayern won 3 of 4 trophies this sieson. had awesome season. and that 6-1 was not from 1 game but from 2.

and this rating is not they are good or not but players they own. like barca hawe so many stars and that why they are in 3 place( and anyway a rating u made is not so good. lyon arsenal and liverpool roma is not worth them places

I think it should be done with total SM values' date=' that way youth players dont drag a team down the listings[/quote']

But that would also not work, since bigger teams will get the advantage and I would probably see a lot more South American teams in the Top 20 than there currently is. So I'd say starting XI for REAL LIFE CLUB would be the best way to apply it.

Perhaps you should think about shaking up your player rating reviewers then?

Because if the teams players ratings aren't reflecting how the team is doing in real life, surely the rating reviewers aren't doing a very good job?

To be fair, the player ratings scheme are set to be accurate over the last 2 years ergo why Ronaldinho is still 96 :rolleyes:

Therefore top teams like Barcelona and Juventus who are currently experiencing a lack of form should still be up their with the best. Next year, in theory, things should begin to change though :)

I just checked the rankings and they seem very ridiculous how can Sevilla and Valencia be above Arsenal. Sevilla last season finished 5th, Valencia last season finished 10th and Arsenal finished 3rd.

My Current Best Clubs Rating

13th - Arsenal

14th - Sevilla

15th - Valencia

Then there's AC Milan who finished 5th and will be playing UEFA Cup football were as Arsenal will be playing Champions League football this season.

My Current Best Clubs Rating

7th - AC Milan

8th - Arsenal

In the above table I put AC Milan above Arsenal because as I know it's not just about one season.

I'm not too sure if this will benefit the thread, but UEFA's Official Club Rankings, which was updated on Fri 29th Aug, ranks the teams as follows:

1 Liverpool Eng

2 Chelsea Eng

3 FC Barcelona Esp

4 AC Milan Ita

5 Sevilla Esp

6 Arsenal Eng

7 Manchester United Eng

8 Bayern München Ger

9 Internazionale Ita

10 Olympique Lyon Fra

11 PSV Eindhoven Ned

12 Werder Bremen Ger

13 Real Madrid Esp

14 Villarreal Esp

15 AS Roma Ita

16 AZ Alkmaar Ned

17 Benfica Por

18 Sporting CP Lisbon Por

19 Zenit St. Petersburg Rus

20 Schalke 04 Ger

21 Newcastle United Eng

22 Glasgow Rangers Sco

23 Espanyol Esp

24 FC Porto Por

25 CSKA Moscow Rus

26 Juventus Ita

27 Steaua Bucuresti Rom

28 Bayer Leverkusen Ger

29 Middlesbrough Eng

30 Valencia Esp

31 FC Basel Sui

32 Fenerbahçe Tur

33 Tottenham Hotspur Eng

34 Shakhtar Donetsk Ukr

35 Lille OSC Fra

36 Panathinaikos Gre

37 Hamburger SV Ger

38 Olympiakos Piraeus Gre

39 AC Parma Ita

40 Ajax Hol

The rankings is based on UEFA team coefficients over the last 5 yrs.