Brado Jones and Ross Turnbull (good buy)

As most of you are probably aware, Mark Schwarzer Boro's long serving Goalkeeper has left for Fulham. So far Southgate has not brought in a replacement or even been linked to another keeper to my knowledge.

So that leaves the gap for 2 keepers at the clup to step up and fill the void.

They are Brad Jones and Ross Turnbull, rated 81 and 82 respectively. If either or these play at the highest level they will definitley be in for a significant rise.

Today I was reassured that one of the above will rise when I came across Southgate speaking on the BBC website........

The long-serving Australian quit the Riverside for Fulham in June but the Boro boss is confident Brad Jones and Ross Turnbull can fill the void.

"Ross [Turnbull] had 30 games at Crewe and Brad [Jones] is an Australian international," he told BBC Tees.

"I haven't seen a goalkeeper available who is better than the two we have."

So it looks as if either Turnbull or Jones will be first choice keeper this season. Which one will start? I'm not 100% sure, but I would go with Turnbull but maybe a Boro fan could help us out on this one.

Schwarzer had an 89 rating whilst playing for Middlesbrough so I predict that the starting keeper will hit 86 by the next english changes, maybe 87 if they are performing well which will give you a good rated keeper for your teams or a good moneyspinner if ylou decide to sell him on.

Re: Brado Jones and Ross Turnbull (good buy)

i would have to go with brad jones. Cardiff had Turnbull on loan last Season and he was Shocking for us

I have to disagree and say Turnbull. Thats who has been playing for Boro during pre-season. Cardiff had a lot of keepers on loan last season, Enckelman, Turnbull and Heaton I think, if you compare Turnbull to Enckelman, its no contest, Enckelman! But compared to Heaton, Id probably go with Turnbull. But, I dont think any of them will be first choice after January, cos Southgate will have been sacked and a replacement goalie brought in.

I have to disagree and say Turnbull. Thats who has been playing for Boro during pre-season. Cardiff had a lot of keepers on loan last season' date=' Enckelman, Turnbull and Heaton I think, if you compare Turnbull to Enckelman, its no contest, Enckelman! But compared to Heaton, Id probably go with Turnbull. But, I dont think any of them will be first choice after January, cos Southgate will have been sacked and a replacement goalie brought in.[/quote']

just because we had 3 keepers on loan last year Enckelmen,Turnbull and schmichel doesnt mean Turnbull is good he was Shocking !!

I was thinking about posting something about the Boro keeper situation, but the problem is there is still no clear first choice out of the two of them. Turnbull and Jones have both played an equal amount of games in pre-season, and to be honest, neither has shone. Then again, I don't think there's a Boro fan in the world who expected them to shine.

I'm an avid member of the Boro fanzine forum - FMTTM - and the only area in which Southgate is being criticised for is the keeper situation, but someone has pointed out, there has yet to be one quote from Southgate comfirming he won't be buying a goalkeeper this summer. He has said he's yet to see a goalkeeper better than Jones or Turnbull who is available on the market - I can only think he goes blind when looking at people with gloves on - but this does not completely rule out that Middlesbrough won't be signing a goalkeeper. Besides, no-one has been assigned number 1 in the squad numbers, so this could be a hint that Southgate is still looking.

However, if the current situation remains, and the Boro don't buy a keeper, then the question is who will start? The general concensus for all Boro fans, as far as I've read/heard, is that we'd prefer Turnbull to start ahead of Jones, despite the stories of disastrous loan spells elsewhere (i.e. Cardiff). This is because he has yet to make a mistake whilst playing in the first team, in the handful of games he's played. Compare this to Brad Jones, who was at fault for two of Sunderland's goals when they beat the Boro 3-2 at the Stadium of Light, and very nearly put us out of the semi-final of the UEFA Cup in 2006 against Steua Bucharest, when he conceded two very dodgy goals to put us 3-0 down on aggregate (cue the miracle comeback :D). Turnbull is definitely the fans choice out of the two, but everyone would prefer a new keeper.

As for who will actually start, no-one knows. Southgate will talk in depth with Boro's goalkeeper coach Stephen Pears about who he thinks will perform better at the highest level, and will also have his own views from watching them both in pre-season. He may even watch both for the opening few games of the league season, so we won't really have a definite number 1 until mid-September, in my opinion. The keeper who does manage to become Schwarzer's successor will hit the 86 mark for definites, playing regular for a mid-to-lower Premier League side.

However, don't write them off. Who knows what the confidence of becoming the number 1 keeper at their club could do to either Jones or Turnbull. They have both always played second-fiddle during their careers, and never been given the total confidence of their teammates or managers when they've played, because there's always been someone better (i.e. Schwarzer) able to replace them. The manager and teammates will HAVE to trust whoever the keeper is come September, as there'll be nothing better at the club. Both players obviously had some potential for them to be scouted by a Premier League club, and don't forget, Brad Jones is an Australian international and Ross Turnbull has played at every age-group for England up to Under 21s, and is only 22. Look what becoming first choice keeper did to Almunia at Arsenal and Hart and Man City. They're both now established regulars at their respective clubs, and both very good goalkeepers. Middlesbrough have had a lot of success with players coming through from their academy - and Ross Turnbull could well be the next success. Southgate gave David Wheater his opportunity last season, and he's already had an England call-up.

Basically, what I'm saying is don't buy either keeper until mid-September (when you know who is first choice and that no keeper will be brought in to replace them). And also, wait until late November/early December before you sell whoever is the first choice keeper, as they may turn out to be quality keepers (doubt it though :rolleyes:).

And the person who said Southgate will be sacked - have a look who our chairman is. Steve Gibson, widely known as one of the best chairman in football, due to the constant backing and support he gives to his managers rather than rashly sacking them when something goes wrong (i.e. Newcastle, Man City etc.). Southgate will get Middlesbrough relegated before Steve Gibson sacks him, so he won't be out of the job by January.

• 3 weeks later...

It's worth pointing out that Turnbull only got the nod because Jones injured his finger in the pre-match training. Turnbull only had a few minutes to prepare before the game. He did have a good game to be fair, but it looks like Jones (who would have started), is the number 1. Although maybe this performence has swung Woodgate's mind? Who Knows.

It's worth pointing out that Turnbull only got the nod because Jones injured his finger in the pre-match training. Turnbull only had a few minutes to prepare before the game. He did have a good game to be fair' date=' but it looks like Jones (who would have started), is the number 1. Although maybe this performence has swung Woodgate's mind? Who Knows.[/quote']

Woodgate? :eek: dont u mean southgate mate? lmao thats quality ben