Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) Overule Olympic Games!

Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) Overule Olympic Games!  

1. 1.

• yes
    • no

As you all will know, The Olympic games hold a Football tournament for National teams all over the world, but the only players that can take part are players under the age of 23.

This would include such stars as Messi and Diego for example.

Barcelona, Schalke, Werder Bremen are just a few of the clubs that have protested at these games, complaining about letting such stars as Messi, Diego and rafinha compete in the Games.

Well some how the CAS have ruled in favour of these clubs and have granted there players leave from the Games.

How excatly does this work ? These clubs are not bigger than the Olympic games, nor are they bigger than the National teams, yet some how these clubs dont have to let there players go. Apparently alot of Brazlian clubs have also complained, not to sure what has happened to those players though.

There case was based on the fact that these games were not in the International calandar, but it clearly is. Its wrong imo, and the CAS have made a mistake.

They are effectively bigger than the national team after this ruling, deciding when there players represent there country.

Other teams are put out by the Olympics, but i dont see every single one of them complaining, because if they did, no players would represent there country and there would be no football at the games. :mad:

Just another case of Clubs and players having no morales, or values and once again Football clubs over rule guidlines and legislation, and some how get away with it.

My view is, if the player is called up, they have to play and the club should have no bearing in the decision. Only the player should have some say.

Your views ?

:mad:

Re: Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) Overule Olympic Games!

As you all will know' date=' The Olympic games hold a Football tournament for National teams all over the world, but the only players that can take part are players under the age of 23.

This would include such stars as Messi and Diego for example.

Barcelona, Schalke, Werder Bremen are just a few of the clubs that have protested at these games, complaining about letting such stars as Messi, Diego and rafinha compete in the Games.

Well some how the CAS have ruled in favour of these clubs and have granted there players leave from the Games.

How excatly does this work ? These clubs are not bigger than the Olympic games, nor are they bigger than the National teams, yet some how these clubs dont have to let there players go. Apparently alot of Brazlian clubs have also complained, not to sure what has happened to those players though.

There case was based on the fact that these games were not in the International calandar, but it clearly is. Its wrong imo, and the CAS have made a mistake.

They are effectively bigger than the national team after this ruling, deciding when there players represent there country.

Other teams are put out by the Olympics, but i dont see every single one of them complaining, because if they did, no players would represent there country and there would be no football at the games. :mad:

Just another case of Clubs and players having no morales, or values and once again Football clubs over rule guidlines and legislation, and some how get away with it.

My view is, if the player is called up, they have to play and the club should have no bearing in the decision. Only the player should have some say.

Your views ?

:mad:[/quote']

Remember the Beijing games coincide with the start of the domestoc season for most of these teams apart from Scandinavia, Russia and Southern Hemisphere teams who are halfway through (ish). So they want them to be fit and ready for that.

Rafinha of Schalke and Diego of Werder Bremen went without the permission of their clubs so surely they ahd a case there? I do, however, disagree with Messi not being allowed because tbf to Barcelona they do not have anything "major" during the Olympic period. The closest that comes to it is the CL 3rd round qualifying but as I remember it they have an easy tie so they can just play Bojan and they'll be fine (unless he's gone to Beijing too)

So yes I agree with you Adam but in Rafinha and Diego's case the club have every right to not let their player go to the games.

God help those youngsters they'll come back with bronchitis or something.

and just to clarify Barcelona have either Wisla Krakow or Beitar Jerusalem in the CL 3rd round so why does that consitute to not allowing a player going to the Olympics?! Just play a few B players for that game. They still have their whole defence and midfield in full fairness so thats bad conduct from Barcelona's point of view.

Re: Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) Overule Olympic Games!

I am with Adam on this one.

The player should have the choice.Whether mid-season or not once in four years is nothing. 4/5 matches out is not huge.This is wrong.

Ruining the spectacle that would have been had messi and all of the other great talents been there.

1 thing i do like however is the fact that messi and barcelona are going to have a fallout and he will come to united :) coz he had his heart set on going to the games.!