New German No. 1?

Now that Lehmann has announced his international retirement, the race is on to be the new German no.1 and probably receive a boost to their rating as a result. The main candidates appear to be...

RENE ADLER (age 23, rating 91) - Plays for Bayern Leverkusen. No caps to date but was in the Euro 2008 squad.

MANUEL NEUER (age 22, rating 90) - Plays for Schalke. No caps and missed out on the Euro 2008 squad.

ROBERT ENKE (age 30, rating 91) - Plays for Hanover 96. Only 1 cap and that was over a year ago. Along with Adler was in the Euro 2008 squad.

TIMO HILDEBRAND (age 29, 91) - Plays in Spain for Valencia. He was no.2 to Lehmann and has 7 caps (inlcuding a game in March 2008) but was left out of the squad for Euro 2008 for some reason.

Who do people think will get the nod? I'm hoping Löw will go for youth over experience and pick either Adler or Neuer who I reckon are the better players. But I have a sneaky feeling he'll go for Enke with a view to grooming the other 2 to fight it out in a couple of seasons when they have more experience.

Germany are at home to Belgium on August 20th.

Re: New German No. 1?

I'm a big fan of German soccer and I must say that it will be tough.

For me the contenders are pretty much the same but add Rensing to that list.

But if Adler plays like he did last season it must be him. Unless maybe Schalke or Valencia do very well this season. But I doubt Enke will be number 1. However I've always like Wiese and Weidenfeller, but I highly doubt that they'll be chosen. Still until the World Cup there's time, and who knows, maybe some new options may immerge. Also since Neuer is injured he will lose time and that might affect him as he must always be playing or he may lose his roll. We'll see, but there is still time, I believe it is to early to bring this up.

But as you mentioned for international friendlies etc. Germany will need a keeper and it'll probably be Adler after his wonderful season. Since Neuer is injured and Hildebrand had a bad season, it's between Enke and Adler for now and Adler had a much better season. It's not really that much of a decision, it's an easy choice.

Ya' date=' it's not like I said it in my post right before his. :P[/quote']

I suspect SMPL was saying who he thought would be the No.1 longterm rather than in the upcoming friendly.

However... Neuer's injury could be a big problem for him. Germany have 2 qualifiers in September and a further 2 in October, so whoever gets the nod for those games could stake a solid claim for the keeper's jersey.

I suspect SMPL was saying who he thought would be the No.1 longterm rather than in the upcoming friendly.

However... Neuer's injury could be a big problem for him. Germany have 2 qualifiers in September and a further 2 in October' date=' so whoever gets the nod for those games could stake a solid claim for the keeper's jersey.[/quote']

Not to mention with this break (I think it's a couple of months, but I'm not 100% sure) he might lose his form. But in my opinion Adler will be playing the friendlies for Germany. No question about it.

to be honest' date=' i think that neur manuel should be the next german keeper. Why? Because he speaks for himself, just watch the penalty shoot out, Fc Schalkevs FC Porto in champions league 07 - 08.

but btw i hate the germans:D[/quote']

And I hate Barcelona. :P

I think for the far future in will definitely be tough competition between Rene Adler and Manuel Neuer for the top spot. I really want to see them duel it out and see who gets chosen.

Robert Enke

That's who makes the start vs. Belgium. It will not be Hildebrand--Lowe and him do not like each other, and I reckon Lowe holds grudges.

Enke will only start for a few games, I believe, and then I think Adler will be the #1 for a while. Neuer is out of the question for right now because he's injured. Adler will have to lose it before Neuer gets a shot.

And watch out for Ulreich in a few years... Under the tutoring of Lehman, he could totally be better than Adler or Neuer by the next World Cup.