Official Sky Bet League 1 & 2 Thread

Guest Atkin

Re: Coca Cola League 1 Official Thread.

Well' date=' Harte needs no explanation as he's in all of them so far. :P

Jaidi shouldn't be at this level tbh, could easily do a job for one of the lower Championship sides and has been good when I've seen him.

Taylor has started all 45 games we've played this season, played every minute as well I think. He's a brilliant defender and the only reasons I can think of why a bigger side hasn't come in for him, is his age and lack of pace. Has been consistent all season, come up with a few important goals and I would honestly rate him as one of the best CB's in this league.

Richardson.. well I couldn't think of a RB at the time, and to be fair, that's one of Leeds weakest positions isn't it? And I had no idea who Millwall's was either..

As far as I can remember from our game at home to Millwall, Morison wasted a lot of chances and I can't remember seeing him apart from that. :o[/quote']

Agree with Harte, still love him from his Leeds days and it's been rumoured he might return in the summer. Would be great if that were to happen, but I can't really see Bates stretching any money for him and Carlisle apparently want £1m (in other words, he's not for sale). I did think about Jaidi, but I personally preferred Kisnorbo and Robinson. Jaidi is getting on a bit now, and I personally think Kisnorbo is a better player (bias?). We have the level best defensive record in the league somehow, and our only good defender is Kisnorbo. And I imagine around half those goals conceded were when he wasn't playing, which says it all. Haven't see much of Taylor at all, so can't comment, but I'll take your word for it. Paul Robinson has been key to Millwall's defense according to my mate.

As for right-back, I also couldn't really think of anyone. Richardson did cross my mind, and he's great going forward, but dodgy defensively. From highlights he's not looked great and Charlton's defensive record put me off. I went for Alan Dunne myself, but I've seen pretty much nothing of him and only chose him on stats and my mates opinion. :o

Morison's a great striker, but I checked the stats and Charlie Austin's goal to game ratio far surpasses Morison. Austin has 18 goals and he missed the first two or three months of the season as well. The reason I didn't choose him was because of all the alternatives. Lambert, who's record at this level is incredible, Holt, who only missed out because I feel Austin's playing in a weaker team and is a huge part to where Swindon are right now. Then there's also Morison, Paynter, Beckford (his first half of the season would put him in there, his second completely rules him out for me though), and my fourth choice - Lee Barnard. In-fact, I feel he's very under-rated. Considering how Southend have collapsed without him, it just shows how important he was and it's unbelievable how many goals he scored in such a weak team.

---

Anyway, about tonight. I'm not feeling that confident tbh. More often than not, when our rivals have slipped up the day previously Leeds play poorly as well. And Carlisle are somewhat of a bogey team for us. Hopefully we can push on from two successive wins, and we need to win because I can't see Millwall slipping up. I would predict a 1-1 draw tbh.

As for Swindon, it looks like they've started to choke. 3-0 defeat to a Colchester team who hadn't won in nearly two months, and then scraped a draw against a team scrapping relegation (no offense George). They need to recover quickly if they want to stay in touching distance of Millwall. Question is, will they struggle now? I still personally think anyone from Millwall down to Charlton can still go up, despite Leeds and Charlton's disastrous form in the past few months.

Still all to play for, Millwall should win tonight but on Friday they go to Huddersfield. That's a big game and a fair bit of travelling in a short space of time might be their undoing. If they drop points on friday then it gives everyone else hope for saturday. Millwall also have a tricky away game at Tranmere who will be fighting to avoid relegation

I'm sure all the top sides will drop points between now and the end of the season as the pressure mounts. Leeds and Charlton had big blips, Colchester just had a long winless run, now Swindon seem to have stalled. Maybe it's Millwall's turn next?

Still all to play for' date=' Millwall should win tonight but on Friday they go to Huddersfield. That's a big game and a fair bit of travelling in a short space of time might be their undoing. If they drop points on friday then it gives everyone else hope for saturday. Millwall also have a tricky away game at Tranmere who will be fighting to avoid relegation

I'm sure all the top sides will drop points between now and the end of the season as the pressure mounts. Leeds and Charlton had big blips, Colchester just had a long winless run, now Swindon seem to have stalled. Maybe it's Millwall's turn next?[/quote']

I mentioned this too on the Leeds board, before some statto found out that Millwall have the best record of the top six against the rest of the top six, and Huddersfield have the worst (haven't beaten any of us), so I'm not too optimistic. But as you, everyone will drop points somewhere in this run-in.

And hopefully. They're currently 1-0 down to Yeovil, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. And once again we've wasted a dozen odd chances. Too, too often this season have we done just that, and it ended up coming to bite us in the backside. If we don't get a second I don't think we'll win. Before Southend I can't remember the last time we kept a clean sheet.

Edit: What'd'ya know? :rolleyes: Yet AGAIN we've wasted dozens of chances and we've conceded one of about two chances they've had.

What a start to the second half. :D Two goals in six minutes and we're looking comfortable again. Becchio back and firing and we're finally playing well. We play well in the same game Beckford is dropped. Coincidence?

Come on Lucy, you can get your first hat-trick in English football today!

rumour on skysports news that a aussie billionaire is going bid for leed utd.

Saw this a couple of days ago. Really hope it's true but I can't see Bates selling somehow.

Apparently this Aussie bloke is even older than Bates (is that even possible?) and once spend $300m on some area below the Twin Towers in early 2001. Sounds like an unlucky fella.

Edit: Millwall. >_> You could see that coming a mile off.

So, to round up, at the top:

Leyton Orient 2-1 Norwich

Yeovil 1-1 Millwall

Carlisle 1-3 Leeds

Swindon 1-1 Exeter

Charlton 1-0 Colchester

Huddersfield 4-3 Walsall

Bristol Rovers 1-5 Southampton

Four games left. Norwich only lead by six points now. Two wins from from the remaining four games would see them promoted, and effectively champions. They should go up, but they've making it difficult for themselves.

Leeds back up to 2nd, but only by a point. Leeds 80, Millwall 79, Charlton 77 and Swindon 77. It's going to be incredibly tense for the last few games of the season. Millwall and Swindon meet in the last game of the season, Leeds and Charlton are still to meet and Charlton also have to play Norwich on Saturday. Some big, BIG games coming up.

For the remaining play-off spot, Huddersfield are in the driving seat, three points ahead of Colchester. Southampton are in fantastic form, and are eight points off Huddersfield with a game in hand. They're still in with a shout.

Down the bottom, Walsall and up are safe. Yeovil and Brighton are eight points clear, Hartlepool seven. However if Brighton get those points they're claiming, they'd be as good as safe.

Stockport are already relegated, and you can't help but feel Wycombe and Southend are heading down to League 2. Five and six points off Gillingham, meaning they need two wins to just catch up. Can they get those two wins, in their state?

Tranmere are three points off Gilingham, but with a game in hand. Leyton Orient and Exeter are too close to relax just yet. But there's so many teams in the mix that just another win or two would be enough.

In summary, it's incredibly tight this season. Norwich are within touching distance of promotion but just need that last push over the line. Leeds, Millwall, Charlton and Swindon are three points apart and any one of them could go up automatically. Huddersfield are in the driving seat for the final play-off spot, Colchester just behind but horribly out of form and Southampton closing the gap with every game. Down the bottom, Stockport are down, Southend and Wycombe need two or three wins from the last four games just to have a fighting chance. Tranmere, Gillingham, Exeter, Leyton Orient, Oldham and possible Hartlepool are scrapping out to survive. Brighton and Yeovil should be safe, but need just a few more points to be sure.

Game's not over yet but it doesn't matter now anyway' date=' it effectively is.

Four defeats on the trot. No goals scored in any of them. Finally out of the top two and now 4th in the league. Am I allowed to moan now or am I still being pessimistic? :rolleyes:

First page of this thread, back in July fcs.

Only mistake was predicting 4th and play-off defeat. Only six points ahead of 7th now and in actual relegation form. I can't even see us clinging on to a play-off place.

I can already predict next year as well if you want.. we'll be one of the favourites for promotion, probably alongside Southampton and ahead of the relegated teams, we'll do well for a bit and people will start saying it's our year, we'll be top four or five all season and then we'll have a slump, finish fourth and lose in the play-offs for a sixth time (please god prove me wrong, but it's becoming predictable now).

Meanwhile my local side are now finally above us and will probably get promoted, leaving me to suffer the wrath of a million locals who suddenly become Swindon fans once they get promoted. Oh joy.[/quote']

What a start to the second half. :D Two goals in six minutes and we're looking comfortable again. Becchio back and firing and we're finally playing well. We play well in the same game Beckford is dropped. Coincidence?

Come on Lucy' date=' you can get your first hat-trick in English football today![/quote']

At least you've cheered up at last!

At least you've cheered up at last!

What a funny game football is. We've suddenly found our feet, largely down to Max Gradel who has made all the difference. Him and Becchio have played brilliantly together in the last two games, and meanwhile teams around us are slipping up and we're back in second.

In all honesty, anything could happen between now and May. I'm still not particularly confident that we'll go up, but it's back in our hands now. Just hoping...

Next year Gillingham will win league 1 ;) ' date=' league 1 will have to deal with a Gillingham team that CAN win away from home (hopefully :rolleyes: ), [b']as we will obviously not be relegated this season[/b]. B)

Still so confident? :P

Leeds, Norwich, Southampton and an away game at Oldham to come, there's a good chance you won't get another point.

A win at Tranmere for us on Saturday and we're all but safe. Would take a draw though, as long as we don't lose then it's a good result.

He would never accept a new one.

This. Most fans (from what I can see) want rid anyway, his attitude stinks and Becchio, Gradel and Grella work so much harder. There's also Somma out on loan who's setting League 2 alight. I expect Grayson will still try to offer him one but Beckford's wanted out for a long time now.

This. Most fans (from what I can see) want rid anyway' date=' his attitude stinks and Becchio, Gradel and Grella work so much harder. There's also Somma out on loan who's setting League 2 alight. I expect Grayson will still try to offer him one but Beckford's wanted out for a long time now.[/quote']

Re: Somma. There's a big difference between a struggling league 2 side than being good enough for Leeds.

Beckford won't re-sign for Leeds, his mind has already been elsewhere for weeks.

Still so confident? :P

Leeds' date=' Norwich, Southampton and an away game at Oldham to come, there's a good chance you won't get another point.

A win at Tranmere for us on Saturday and we're all but safe. Would take a draw though, as long as we don't lose then it's a good result.[/quote']

Its not over till its over George! B)

We will beat Leeds, Southampton and Norwich :P and Oldham is where we will get our first and only away win of the season! :rolleyes:

Re: Somma. There's a big difference between a struggling league 2 side than being good enough for Leeds.

Beckford won't re-sign for Leeds' date=' his mind has already been elsewhere for weeks.[/quote']

That makes it even more impressive. He's scored something like 8 goals in 8 games as well as three assists. Some top quality goals in a poor team. Lincoln fans think he's single-handedly kept them up and he's also played a part in every goal for the last 7 games. If we don't go up, he should be decent in League 1, considering how well he's shone in League 2. The step up is quite small, as shown by the likes of Grant Holt and even Charlie Austin who came from the 8th tier of English football.

That makes it even more impressive. He's scored something like 8 goals in 8 games as well as three assists. Some top quality goals in a poor team. Lincoln fans think he's single-handedly kept them up and he's also played a part in every goal for the last 7 games. If we don't go up' date=' he should be decent in League 1, considering how well he's shone in League 2. [b']The step up is quite small[/b], as shown by the likes of Grant Holt and even Charlie Austin who came from the 8th tier of English football.

It isn't..

Holt was always capable of playing in League 1, he only joined Shrewsbury for the season because he knew the manager well and because he'd had a disappointing season before and needed to regain confidence etc.

Austin is a rare one.. for every player like him, there's 20 that could come in and completely fail.

It isn't..

Holt was always capable of playing in League 1' date=' he only joined Shrewsbury for the season because he knew the manager well and because he'd had a disappointing season before and needed to regain confidence etc.

Austin is a rare one.. for every player like him, there's 20 that could come in and completely fail.[/quote']

How is it not? More players settle than fail when making the jump. Hell, your team are a big example of that. How many players that are still with you were there two seasons back?

I'd just like to take this moment to say farewell to Paul Ince.

(Yes, i'm aware he's staying 'til the end of the season).

I think its a bloody' travisty that he's been forced into such a decision, this just proves how managerally unstable we are. How does Winkleman expect us to move forward by bringing in a new manager (not to mention new players, albeit not that good) every flammin' season? Madness.

GOODBYE INCEY

I'd just like to take this moment to say farewell to Paul Ince.

(Yes' date=' i'm aware he's staying 'til the end of the season).

I think its a bloody' travisty that he's been forced into such a decision, this just proves how managerally unstable we are. How does Winkleman expect us to move forward by bringing in a new manager (not to mention new players, albeit not that good) every flammin' season? Madness.

[b']GOODBYE INCEY[/b]

Seriously? I think he's a poor manager and I'd be glad to get rid of him. Basically he's said "give me money we can't afford or I go". Least you might get to see decent football rather than the pap that a side under Ince plays.. He's another one of those who get the job simply because of their name.

How is it not? More players settle than fail when making the jump. Hell' date=' your team are a big example of that. How many players that are still with you were there two seasons back?[/quote']

The gap between League 2 and the top half of the BSP is much much smaller. We showed that, and in a way so did Aldershot, Burton this season, and then the teams that go down often struggle to get back. Whereas this season we've struggled at times and are in a relegation battle, as are Wycombe and Gillingham.

League 2 to League 1 is more difficult, I wasn't saying the step up is huge, but it's not small either :o And we have quite a few players left from then, but to be honest, a lot of them aren't good enough and have to be cleared out in the summer. It will be a huge achievement if we stay up, even bigger than getting promoted in the first place, but too much of the squad after the first team is BSP/bottom of League 2 standard.

Huddersfield 1-0 Millwall

Get in! It's hard to believe that we're so close to promotion, yet one defeat and it could all be blown.

Thing is, we have a habit of putting in miserably performances and dropping points ourselves after our promotion rivals slip up the day before. That tied in with bottling it when it's in our own hands, and me being a (suicidal according to Studge) pessimist, I'm not confident.

So nervous. Gillingham have a great home record, especially against the top six, and most fans seem confident the game is already won. I hope the players don't feel this way because if they do, we will get beat. These next four games are massive, and they need to raise themselves for every single one of them. We need to continue this run; there's no room for slip-ups now. Please don't bottle this yet again Leeds. Now's your chance to put all the other failed campaigns right...

Edit:

Big games at the top tomorrow:

Charlton v Norwich

Gillingham v Leeds

Swindon v Walsall

Tbh, I can see Charlton winning at Norwich. Norwich out of form and without Holt and Hoolahan, Charlton back in form. If we don't beat Gillingham, then the best result for us is a Norwich win. But if we do win, then Norwich losing would lower the gap to 3 points, give Leeds something to chase rather than panickly holding on to 2nd, and makes this promotion race incredibly interesting.

As for us, Gillingham with a good home record, raise their game for the top teams and fighting for their lives to stay in the division, whilst we have a history of bottling it when in the auto spots. Could go either way, if I'm honest. Depends largely which Leeds team comes out.

Swindon are at home and you'd think they should win, but the way they've been playing lately and the way this season's gone as a whole, who knows. It's all so unpredictable. Hurts my head thinking about it.