Sign in to follow this  
Guest Atkin

Official Sky Bet League 1 & 2 Thread

Re: Coca Cola League 1 Official Thread.

Charlton and Leeds keep up their 100% records, the former battering Tranmere 4-0 as Leeds scraped past high-flying Colchester. Tranmere sit 22nd, Colchester drop to 5th.

MK Dons moved up to 3rd with victory over Exeter, 4 points off the leading duo, Huddersfield beat Yeovil in the earlier game to move up to 4th, with Yeovil sitting smack-bang in the middle of the table.

Brentford climbed to 6th after a stalemate with Oldham, who remain 11th. Bristol Rovers were overturned by Wycombe and slip to 7th, whilst Wycombe climb to 20th with their first win since their return to League 1.

Swindon made it six unbeaten as they saw off 10 man Southend to climb to 8th, with Southend falling to 19th. Brighton got their 2nd point of the campaign on Friday night against Millwall, but remain 23rd, Millwall 9th.

Norwich climbed to 10th with a 2-0 victory over Hartlepool, who slip into the relegation zone on goal difference. Leyton Orient came from a goal down to lead 2-1 before succumbing to a 2-2 draw with Carlisle. They sit 13th and 16th respectively, both on 5 points along with four others.

Stockport grabbed a last-gasp equaliser against Southampton, meaning Southampton are still yet to win in League 1. Stockport are 14th, Southampton are bottom with -7. Even without the point deduction, Southampton would be 22nd. Walsall and Gillingham played out a goalless draw, and are now 17th and 18th, seperated by a point.

Guest King Kolo

Good win for Norwich yesterday' date=' pulling us out of the relegation zone.

(Its so nice to be able to say that now :D)

I just hope everyone isn't too optimistic about our new manager, Paul Lambert and is realistic, we are not going to win the league, far from it but I reckon we could steal 2nd if we keep up some consistancy, but its going to be hard with Charlton and Leeds in their current form.

Wes Hoolahan has also been linked with a move away from the club, which is a shame, but with his value supposedly around 650/700k that would do nicely to bring in a replacement and maybe some more defensive cover, especially a RB, of which we only have one true RB.

Darel Russell also on the way out probably, seeing as he hasn't played a single game so far, and in preseason. We supposedly rejected a 500k bid from Burnley for him, but tbh I think thats absolute ballplop as we shoulda bitten their hands off for that money. Our CM's are competent enough, and with the sale of Matty Pattison, we should have some cash to flash.

Come on Lambert, a couple more new faces please![/quote']

You said on chat that when I told you we were buying Hoolahan you said he was rubbish and we could have him... :rolleyes:

Guest Toggs

You need too see Murtaghs's screamer. Best goal my a Yeovil play in a LONG time. :)

Any Norwich Fans???

has owain tudor jones done well their since leaving swansea? saw his own goal in midweek :eek: good finish though :P

Yeah Tudur Jones has been good for us at CM. Scored a free kick against Brentford and has been solid otherwise. Unlucky in midweek with his own goal' date=' but it happens.

Next Saturday is Hartlepool v Norwich. A home win is already guaranteed. :)

lolfail

You said on chat that when I told you we were buying Hoolahan you said he was rubbish and we could have him... :rolleyes:

If you read what I posted' date=' I said you could have him.

Wes Hoolahan has also been linked with a move away from the club, which is a shame, but with his value supposedly around 650/700k that would do nicely to bring in a replacement and maybe some more defensive cover, especially a RB, of which we only have one true RB.

So please read before you tell me what I said. :):rolleyes:

Now, for some news.

Norwich shoot up to 10th in the table after a wonderful 2-0 win against Hartlepool. Michael Nelson playing against his former club, replacing the suspended Michael Spillane, who was sent off in the midweek Carling Cup tie against Sunderland. Fraser Forster also made his Norwich debut, replacing the injured Ben Alnwick, who was injured in the cup tie against Sunderland after a collision with Fraizer Campbell, for which Michael Spillane was sent off for the initial shove on Campbell which caused the crash.

The game started well for Norwich, with them dominating the posession and attacking Hartlepool straight from the off. Their quality showed as they tore Hartlepool apart, and could have scored 4 or 5 in the match. But they went on, and also went 1-0 up through a very acrobatic attempt from former Hartlepool central defender Michael Nelson. The second strike was nearly as good, a good run from Korey Smith allowed Stephen Hughes to creep forward, and when he recieved the pass, he made no mistakes, crashing it into the back of the net.

A full match report can be found here.

Any Norwich Fans???

has owain tudor jones done well their since leaving swansea? saw his own goal in midweek :eek: good finish though :P

He was very good for Swindon, although he could do with some free-kick practise. Played a part in their survival last year, not as much as Greer or Cox but without him they might not have stayed up.

Swindon got the better end of the stick when he turned them down in the summer though, getting Jonny Douglas and Simon Ferry instead, the former who is easily a better player and the latter who played very well on his debut yesterday, judging by reports and views (and he got MOTM).

Not too bad a result on Saturday after the start I guess, 2-0 down after 6 minutes is something you obviously can't afford to do, especially as it sounded like we were up against 12 men. Another reason to hate the MK Scum is fine by me though :)

Going to be an interesting day tomorrow, with it being the last day of the transfer window. Hopefully we can keep hold of everyone in the squad and not lose someone at the last minute like we did with George Friend last year. Expecting to see a new keeper on loan as Jones is out for around 6 weeks now, and I can't see us relying on Marriott for that long. Also been linked with a loan deal for Craig Noone of Plymouth, would be a good signing as we need someone capable of getting decent crosses in.

Not too bad a result on Saturday after the start I guess' date=' 2-0 down after 6 minutes is something you obviously can't afford to do, especially as it sounded like we were up against 12 men. Another reason to hate the MK Scum is fine by me though :)[/quote']

I made the long trip to that game, and, tbh George, Exeter probably deserves a point. We started on a flyer, mainly because Jones (your GK) was absolutely useless. You made us pay in the second half though, we hung on for those 3 points for dear life! I nearly had a heart attack in stoppage time! I was rather impressed by Corr, quite a good player, whenever you attacked (mainly always the 'hoof' ball) he would either knock it on or bring it down. Jabo Ibehre was impressive after coming on, i had previously never heard of the bloke and his goal scoring record isnt the best but hell does he work hard! He's like a younger Emile Heskey! :P

I made the long trip to that game' date=' and, tbh George, Exeter probably deserves a point. We started on a flyer, mainly because Jones (your GK) was absolutely useless. You made us pay in the second half though, we hung on for those 3 points for dear life! I nearly had a heart attack in stoppage time! I was rather impressed by Corr, quite a good player, whenever you attacked (mainly always the 'hoof' ball) he would either knock it on or bring it down. Jabo Ibehre was impressive after coming on, i had previously never heard of the bloke and his goal scoring record isnt the best but hell does he work hard! He's like a younger Emile Heskey! :P[/quote']

He is a great keeper but is just one of those that makes a huge mistake every so often, with him it happens a little too often though tbh. I think part of it recently has been because he's carrying an injury which needs an operation, which like I said in my last post will keep him out for around 6 weeks.

Haven't seen much of Corr yet tbh, but he does seem like a good player who just seems to get injured a lot which was probably why Swindon released him. :o If he gets a decent run of games then he will be a hugely important player for us. Would probably of played better as well if he hadn't been booked for "diving". Seen the replays of it and if anything it was a penalty but it clearly wasn't a dive. He didn't even appeal for one, and a couple of the MK players said it looked like a penalty. Ref had obviously been watching the Arsenal game last week! :P

As for the hoof ball, we don't usually do that ;) Was just the way Tisdale thought would counter it and give us our best chance, as he put it: "I couldn't see us playing through them because they went very deep, very tight and very narrow and there was very little space to go through them so we had to go over them. I am not too proud to admit it, we went route one and we put pressure on their back four."

Hopefully we can take the 3 points away from Gillingham next week :)

He is a great keeper but is just one of those that makes a huge mistake every so often' date=' with him it happens a little too often though tbh. I think part of it recently has been because he's carrying an injury which needs an operation, which like I said in my last post will keep him out for around 6 weeks.

Haven't seen much of Corr yet tbh, but he does seem like a good player who just seems to get injured a lot which was probably why Swindon released him. :o If he gets a decent run of games then he will be a hugely important player for us. Would probably of played better as well if he hadn't been booked for "diving". Seen the replays of it and if anything it was a penalty but it clearly wasn't a dive. He didn't even appeal for one, and a couple of the MK players said it looked like a penalty. Ref had obviously been watching the Arsenal game last week! :P

As for the hoof ball, we don't usually do that ;) Was just the way Tisdale thought would counter it and give us our best chance, as he put it: "I couldn't see us playing through them because they went very deep, very tight and very narrow and there was very little space to go through them so we had to go over them. I am not too proud to admit it, we went route one and we put pressure on their back four."

Hopefully we can take the 3 points away from Gillingham next week :)[/quote']

I had a good look at that penalty appeal, but of course being a Dons fan i will never admit to it being one ;)

It was a good tactic tbf, it got past us on many occassions and if it wasnt for McCraken and Woodards (both were superb) then we would have lost. Our lineup didnt contain much height and thats why it worked so well, especially with the Corr tactic i mentioned before. I agree with what you said about Corr, if he stays fit then he'll do really well. I certainly cant see Exeter going down this year, more likely a play off place!! :P:D

Just saw this on Youtube:

Some funny bits in there, particularly David Prutton (Swamp Creature), but the main part that made me chuckle was Casper Ankergren wearing our Mascot's "head", pretending to be Jermaine Beckford, but getting caught out by Soccer AM.

And Soccer AM messed up Neil Kilkenny's name - they had him down as Michael Kenny!

Two of the Hartlepool goals last night were absolute crackers. Brown's opener was stunning, but the third goal; the free-kick from 30 odd yards was stunning!

Charlton 1-0 up in the early game atm. They're in incredible form. Looking to do a Leicester. ;) That's live on SS1.

-----------------

Great day. :D

Leeds make it eight wins from eight this season, and also make it 14 straight home wins in the league to break a new club record.

Still 2nd on GD. Would rather be top, but as my dad says, it probably is actually better to be 2nd, as there is less pressure on the players than if they were top, and the other teams are gunning for Charlton as much as for us.

Meanwhile Swindon climb to 6th in the table with victory over Yeovil. Seven games unbeaten for them now (if you count a 0-0 after 120 minutes with Wolves as a draw) since the opening game of the season, where Gillingham battered them 5-0.

Guest Mr. Razzcocks

Two of the Hartlepool goals last night were absolute crackers. Brown's opener was stunning' date=' but the third goal; the free-kick from 30 odd yards was stunning!

[/quote']

hartlepool01kj5.png

Very good result from Hartlepool, but it must be surely only a matter of time before a bigger club comes sniffing for James Brown. He's a very good player, and I reckon he could hack it in the Championship. If it wasn't for the terrible injury he suffered last season, he would probably be at a different club.

Very good goal from Dennis Behan. I hadn't heard of him before he joined this summer, but he's certainly earned himself a reputation for having one of the most powerful shots in the league. Against Burnley, he tried a similar thing with the free-kick and he ended up smashing one of their defenders onto the ground.

I know it's early in the season, but I reckon this could be a decent season for Hartlepool. I still feel we shouldn't have let Danny Wilson go (I notice he's doing alright with Swindon) but Chris Turner has brought in some good signings. Would Wilson have brought in so many signings ? I don't know, because Turner's previous job was the much maligned Director of Sport, and he thus had a lot of scouting contacts who provided him with some potential signings.

It's early in the season, I know, but there are signs that we can do well this season; no goals conceded away from home is no mean feat, but we need to start getting results at home, which is our main priority.

On The Football League Show, they claimed Charlton are the most successful team this season in England.

Conveniently forgetting that Leeds have equalled them in the league so far and have also won both cup games - whereas Charlton lost in the first round. :rolleyes:

Thought this needed a fresh post ;)

Gillingham seem to of finally found some form again with a 3-0 win over Exeter :D and then a 2-0 win over Millwall and up next is Leeds at ER so hopefully pull off another win, with Weston hopefully scoring past another of his former teams this season :rolleyes:

We should also have Stuart Lewis returning soon, however Simon King has been ruled out till the end of the year at the earliest after having surgery :(

UTG!!! :D

Thought this needed a fresh post ;)

Gillingham seem to of finally found some form again with a 3-0 win over Exeter :D and then a 2-0 win over Millwall and up next is Leeds at ER so hopefully pull off another win' date=' with Weston hopefully scoring past another of his former teams this season :rolleyes:

We should also have Stuart Lewis returning soon, however Simon King has been ruled out till the end of the year at the earliest after having surgery :(

UTG!!! :D[/quote']

Good luck ending our 14 match winning record in the league at Elland Road! :D

No, seriously. B)

As I am a pessimist and I am fully aware that if you do win, I'll have egg on my face, I shall say that I wouldn't be surprised if you lot end the record.

League One Stockport drew 2-2 at Yeovil on Saturday. It was a result which took both teams on to six points so far in the season and was in many ways unremarkable.

What made it significant was that both the Stockport goals were scored by Hatters forward Carl Baker, taking his tally to nine goals for the season and making him the highest scorer in the country this season.

Just days earlier Stockport manager Gary Ablett had the unenviable task of breaking the news to Baker that the player's elder brother Michael had lost his battle against leukaemia.

Baker was under no pressure to play on Saturday but called Ablett on Thursday evening to say that he wanted to be part of the team.

After putting Stockport in front with his 22nd minute penalty he raced to the dugout and collected a T-shirt he had prepared in advance. It said 'For u Mike' and Baker held it aloft while all of his team-mates, goalkeeper included, rushed to join him.

At the end of the game Baker was sent over to the away supporters by Ablett. A couple of hundred had made the long trek south to Huish Park and they presented the striker with a card that everyone in the away end had signed.

Baker was hugged by many of them and I'm told that it was a genuinely emotional moment. For me, it is an example of what football is really all about.

^ I think this sums up how good the lower leagues can be, you wouldn't get that happening at a Premier League side would you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/09/carl_baker_and_stockport_an_ex.html#138740

Sad story, but great of the fans to do that.. must of meant a lot to him. Unfortunately his younger brother also has leukaemia :(

Good 2-1 win against Tranmere on Saturday, Stansfield with both although we could of had a lot more.

In a way I feel for Tranmere because they are a decent club, but some of their players are muppets and of course there's John Barnes in charge...

He is the worst manager in England at the moment imo, and the things he says are ridiculous.

One day he says he needs changes, the next he needs continuity. He doesn't want any new signings, he then suddenly wants to bring in a few players. He wants to start playing 15 year olds as they have the desire needed, but he doesn't want to play youngsters as it will dent their confidence which will then hinder their development. :rolleyes: And then his excuse for this loss was to blame their 17 year old keeper who was making his debut for the club, saying he was at fault and that it was his mistakes that cost them the game. What a joke, he talks about not wanting to dent his youngsters confidence then comes up with pathetic things like that? He is an extremely poor manager and has showed that at Celtic as well as here. The keeper didn't really do that much wrong either, he was a little unlucky and that's all. :rolleyes: Not having a go at Barnes, he was a great player and from what I've heard is a great person who will find time to talk to people, is polite etc, but I just don't think management is for him

As for their players, they have Chris Shuker (I think :o) who decided to start an attack at an uncontested drop ball instead of giving the ball back when the ref had stopped play when Noone was down injured and Harley had the ball, Michael Ricketts who seems to go down at the slightest touch and decided to smash the ball into the stand when it had already gone over the line for a throw which could of injured someone, and some other plank (Cresswell I think) who smashed it into the stand after the final whistle :/ Dirty side by the sounds of things, constant shirt pulling and little fouls that the ref ignored as well.

Still, we got the important 3 points and hopefully we can get something at Charlton next game :) Going back to 2 up front seemed to work this week, but with Fleetwood unable to play I expect to see us go back to 1 up front although I'd like to see us start with Corr and Stanno.

Well after a close defeat at Charlton on Saturday where we probably deserved something, looking for the 3 points against Swindon tonight. Hopefully it's a good game seeing as it's one that I can actually make it too:o

With Fleetwood back, I'm hoping we go back to 2 up front with him and Stansfield, then Corr and Logan on the bench. Jansson's loan from Spurs has been extended by another month so hopefully he can put his mistake from Saturday behind him and put in another good performance. If Noone is fully fit then that is great news, as he has been brilliant so far and is probably one of, if not the best winger in the league. I just hope that Plymouth don't take him back when his loan expires and we could maybe agree a cheap fee quickly because there a few sides interested and he definitely impressed Charlton at the weekend.

Obviously hoping Harley scores for us ;), he is improving with every game and can even make a half decent tackle now :P Had a few scouts from bigger sides watching him on Saturday supposedly, and he could be a very important player this season.

And finally, I really want to see Marcus Stewart have a rest. He just ain't up to playing regularly anymore, he needs to be used like Giggs is for Man United imo. But tbh, if he suddenly dropped dead I wouldn't be surprised if he was out there in his coffin :o

Well after a close defeat at Charlton on Saturday where we probably deserved something' date=' looking for the 3 points against Swindon tonight. Hopefully it's a good game seeing as it's one that I can actually make it too:o

With Fleetwood back, I'm hoping we go back to 2 up front with him and Stansfield, then Corr and Logan on the bench. Jansson's loan from Spurs has been extended by another month so hopefully he can put his mistake from Saturday behind him and put in another good performance. If Noone is fully fit then that is great news, as he has been brilliant so far and is probably one of, if not the best winger in the league. I just hope that Plymouth don't take him back when his loan expires and we could maybe agree a cheap fee quickly because there a few sides interested and he definitely impressed Charlton at the weekend.

Obviously hoping Harley scores for us ;), he is improving with every game and can even make a half decent tackle now :P Had a few scouts from bigger sides watching him on Saturday supposedly, and he could be a very important player this season.

And finally, I really want to see Marcus Stewart have a rest. He just ain't up to playing regularly anymore, he needs to be used like Giggs is for Man United imo. But tbh, if he suddenly dropped dead I wouldn't be surprised if he was out there in his coffin :o[/quote']

How are Swindon? From what I've heard, they play good build up work, but can't finish (mainly due to Paynter).

Noone, best winger in the league? Sorry, from what I've seen, he doesn't come close to Snodgrass, Robinson, Sam, McNamee, Taylor, etc.

Surprised to see Fleetwood and Stansfield on bench with Corr up top?

Noone' date=' best winger in the league? Sorry, from what I've seen, he doesn't come close to Snodgrass, [b']Robinson[/b], Sam, McNamee, Taylor, etc.

Robinson is nothing like he used to be + for 12k a week (despite being a free transfer) he's a waste of money