ashes 2006/07

oobee007

Broad looks a quality bowler, how hes been playing in the one day he looks an exceptional talent. i had a 10pound bet with ladbrokes that he would play for england 2 years ago when he was playing in B side county level.

now look, it made me 500 quid better off :D

broad looks good one for the future but not ready for the ashes i think

jon lewis always seems to be left out he should be in front of broad for a ashes call' date=' but he might cement his place in the one day squad if he continues his form!! B)[/quote']

yep, 2 wickets on 20 20 debut, 1 in a rain effected game on his one day debut. like the look of him, certainly got a chance of making the test squad soon, but the ashes might be a bit soon for him, as i dont think they gace a test game before then, although, KP was thrown in the ashes first up, look how he turned out...

this is what i think should be england's team for the first ashes game

m trescothick

a strauss

i bell or a cook

k pietersen

a flintoff

p collingwood

g jones(read just doesn't work well with trescothick)

m hoggard

s harmison

s broad

m panesar(the legend)

personally i don't think vaughan is good enough for a place in the side when he comes back from injury.he always seems injury prone.also i think andrew strauss should keep the captaincy.he seems to have improved us.and does anyone think that pakistan cheated.loved the sign in the crowd at the 20/20 game though:

'INZY STOP SCRATCHING YOUR BALLS' :D

Broad looks a quality bowler' date=' how hes been playing in the one day he looks an exceptional talent. i had a 10pound bet with ladbrokes that he would play for england 2 years ago when he was playing in B side county level.

now look, it made me 500 quid better off :D[/quote']

Was listening to the cricket last night via the internet and they were interviewing Stuarts father, Chris Broad (ex-england batsman). They reckon the most likely scenario is Stuart will be going as a injury backup. So who knows.

Darrell

• 2 months later...

ashes

the 1st game for england tonight, warm up vs the presidents XI, giles expected to start, would be his first eng game since his hip op, although i much prefer to see monty out there in that 1st test at the gabba ;) one day game by the way, the ashes has come so quick :eek: only about 2 weeks away now, even less that 2 weeks...

George, mate, you've got it all wrong... this should be the 11 facing Australia in the first test:

Trescothick

Strauss

Bell

Collingwood

Pietersen

Flintoff

Read (better these days than Jones)

Mahmood

Hoggard

Harmison

Panesar

Now, the one-day squad is a little shambolic, but the new faces like Jamie Dalrymple and Michael Yardy look like they can do the biz. Second, why play The King of Spain, Ashley Giles, in a one-day warm-up match? There's two players who never play one-dayers. Giles and Hoggard. Third, Jon Lewis is amazing, people say he shouldn't play Tests becuase him and Matthew Hoggard play the same, but surely England need someone like him, who can take wickets at critical times. (And he's Bristolian ;) )

Australia are a good side, but half their squad are in their 30's. It's a case of sticking to the old guns for Australia, but sometimes oldies are better. I'd quote that they're like a fine wine, they improve with age. Some players (Warne, Ponting, Martyn) show my point. And why is Glenn McGrath such a braggart? He predicted Australia would hammer England 5-0 last year. What happened? We win 2-1

1st test...

my 1st XI for the 1st test would be.......

Trescothick - easily engs best batsman, needs to get over a stciky patch, but other than that, has the stats behind him.

Strauss - great player, good start to career, consistent.

Bell/Cook - can both perform well on his day, a good couple of young man who are improving all the time.

Pieterson - what can i say? engs most destructive man in the test arena, blew people away in the 1st test 2 summers back.

Flintoff - engs captain/main man, bats, bowls, catches...and does them all well ;) almost the perfect cricketer, but needs to cut the rash dismissals out.

Collingwood - good improving player in the test arena, nice solid player to have in the team, and better that vaughan (who i have never liked)

Read - back in the side, deservingly, but needs runs quick...

Hoggard (my fave, yorkshire man also ;) ) - the unsung hero at times, but getting some more attention in the last 1-2 years, good consistent bowler.

Harmison - engs strike bowler, can be excellent on his day (vs the windies that game, 7-12 ;) ) but can also be erratic...

Panesar - engs new spin king, has a nice celebration an all ;) but a good young spinner, almost the new giles, with his left arm spin, had a good summer in eng, and will be itching to get at the aussies...

Anderson - always been a fan of jimmy, getting back to fitness, and would have him ahead of saj mahmood, although the lancs man has been impressing me of late.

yes, giles doesnt play one days a lot....maybe that due to injury?!?! he used to be a regular before that, although yardy and dalrymple are looking good.

for the one day arena, it would be

tres

strauss

bell/cook

pieterson

freddie

colly

read

yardy/dalrmpyle

harmison

anderson

mahmood

p.s. montys in now

my 1st XI for the 1st test would be.......

Trescothick - easily engs best batsman' date=' needs to get over a stciky patch, but other than that, has the stats behind him.

[b']Strauss[/b] - great player, good start to career, consistent.

Bell - can perform well on his day, a good young man whos improving all the time.

Pieterson - what can i say? engs most destructive man in the test arena, blew people away in the 1st test 2 summers back.

Flintoff - engs captain/main man, bats, bowls, catches...and does them all well ;) almost the perfect cricketer, but needs to cut the rash dismissals out.

Collingwood - good improving player in the test arena, nice solid player to have in the team, and better that vaughan (who i have never liked)

Read - back in the side, deservingly, but needs runs quick...

Hoggard (my fave, yorkshire man also ;) ) - the unsung hero at times, but getting some more attention in the last 1-2 years, good consistent bowler.

Harmison - engs strike bowler, can be excellent on his day (vs the windies that game, 7-12 ;) ) but can also be erratic...

Anderson - always been a fan of jimmy, getting back to fitness, and would have him ahead of saj mahmood, although the lancs man has been impressing me of late.

Note, Nav, there's only 10 there, not 11

PMX1 in no particular order is:

Cameron White (captain), Travis Birt, Mark Cosgrove, Brett Dorey, Ben Hilfenhaus, Phil Jaques, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine, Adam Pritchard, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, Mark Divin (12th man).

Only Tai, Phil Jacques and Mark cosgrove are recent players for australia, Cameroon white played in the World X1 matches.

MMM its hard to know who'll they will choose maybe:

1. Langer
  2. Hayden
  3. Ponting
  4. Martyn
  5. Hussey
  6. Clarke/Watson
  7. Gilly
  8. Warne
  9. Lee
  10. Tait/Johnson
  11. Mcgrath

Tait and johnson are very fast thats why they should play.

ah, i still think england will retain them...but when you look at that line up, with freddie getting back to fitness, tresco not in form...that team will take a hell of a beating at home....the likes of mcgrath and warne, over 1000 wickets right there, and i havent even mentioned brett lee on bouncy pitches...

Cameron White (captain)' date=' Travis Birt, Mark Cosgrove, Brett Dorey, Ben Hilfenhaus, Phil Jaques, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine, Adam Pritchard, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, Mark Divin (12th man).

Only Tai, Phil Jacques and Mark cosgrove are recent players for australia, Cameroon white played in the World X1 matches.[/quote']

yeah, jaques and white played in england last summer, both on the fringes of the team, good players, white reminds me of watson a lot, but better with the bat. jaques is kinda like hussey, unfortunate that hussey broke into the team though, not him. what heppened to that afro man?!?! the tail ender that scored 200+ plus in a test lol....is he in the squad? gillespie...

Cameron White (captain)' date=' Travis Birt, Mark Cosgrove, Brett Dorey, Ben Hilfenhaus, Phil Jaques, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine, Adam Pritchard, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, Mark Divin (12th man).

Only Tai, Phil Jacques and Mark cosgrove are recent players for australia, Cameroon white played in the World X1 matches.[/quote']

also...not that it is a certainty, but this is the probale line up for england

Andrew Flintoff (captain), Andrew Strauss, Marcus Trescothick, Alastair Cook, Kevin Pietersen, Geraint Jones, Ashley Giles, Liam Plunkett, Matthew Hoggard, Steve Harmison, Monty Panesar.