Rate/Discuss Recent Films You HAVE Seen

Re: Rate/Discuss Recent Films You HAVE Seen

Expendables 3 is more than worth it if you've seen the first two. While not taking itself seriously, it actually gives you a short insight in the differences between action films now and then which is nice. Meanwhile, half the script are puns, but I'm fine with then and there's some pretty good ones (without spoiling anything else, there's a Wesley Snipes tax evasion pun :D). Action wise it delivers, just like the first two did, maybe just the final fight was less epic than 2, then again I realize I probably liked Van Damme better as villain than Mel Gibson. All in all I'm a clear fan of the trilogy and 3 did everything I wanted it to do so for me its definitely worth (at least) an 8/10 :D

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Rate/Discuss Recent Films You HAVE Seen Indiana Bones and the Temple of Booty' date=' Star Whores or maybe Sorest Rump [/color']

Re: Rate/Discuss Recent Films You HAVE Seen You know when u HAVE to watch a film & your sure it's not going to be very good. I watched Robot & Frank 2012 tonight & well was I suprised! It

Primer is quite an interesting time travel movie' date=' pretty complex in the whole explanation of how it works and all, for me, whose english isnt the first language, it took a couple of views of the movie, aswell as reading a couple of summaries to actually understand their version of time travel and their rules etc. But its really worth watching, especially since its an indie movie.

Another really great time travel movie is Twelve Monkeys, its quite a complex movie with a great yet dramatic concept of time travel, you will definetly enjoy it.

Then of course there is the Back to the future franchise, pretty self explanatory :D

If you want abit more of a simplistic kind of time travel movies, some in which time travel isnt the main theme, or where its not exactly explained to make actual scientific sense,

then Timecop is a good choice, Van Damme at his best in an action packed movie, which obviously as read on the title of the movie, has time travel :D

The One with jet li is another good one, more of an alternate reality travel than time travel, but hey, its still action packed and jet li is awesome :D

About Time is a really good time travel movie, i put it down here with the likes of timecop and the one because it focuses more on the romance, since its more of a romance/drama kind of movie, with of course the added sci fi, but still the time travel part is definetly an important part, its a great movie by the way

The latest x men (days of future past) is really good too

Looper is a decent time travel movie.

A couple more that come to mind that might not be exactly time travel movies, but kind of have a similar subject:

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

The Fountain (pretty weird concept if you ask me)

Source Code

Donnie Darko

Moon (2009)

Im sure im missing a couple of other good ones that currently just cant think of, i do hope you will watch and enjoy some of these, because a few of the movies i mentioned are really worth a watch

Cheers mate. I am watching nw Butterfly effect 3, didn´t care to watch the second one. When it comes to movies, the harder to understand, the better. Like i said, a movie that forces you to research and give your own interpetration is the best. Terminator is also a great time travel movies haha.

Cheers mate. I am watching nw Butterfly effect 3' date=' didn´t care to watch the second one. When it comes to movies, the harder to understand, the better. Like i said, a movie that forces you to research and give your own interpetration is the best. Terminator is also a great time travel movies haha.[/quote']

Great post from Maxpayne with many great tips including a real gem "Primer".

Have to say this is one most people have missed or never heard of (low budget Indie movie). It's the most intriguing & complex, brain twisting plot based on up to the minute top scientific thought/ research. It might be difficult to understand but stretches you to your limits on this subject. Reminds me it's time for me to watch it again, I've forgotten a lot of detail of what went on. See what u think....

12 monkeys is a classic :)

You can't go wrong with any of Max's recommendations. I would just like to add something more light hearted - Terry Gilliam's "Time Bandits" :D Oh' date=' and "Groundhog Day" :)[/quote']

Great recommendations both :) Terry Gilliam directed 12 Monkeys as well.

Groundhog Day is a fantastic film .... Punxsutawney :):):D

Anyone else watching this movie' date=' Chef (2014) ?

Care to share your thought, I think it was an enjoyable movie.

I liked it. And i like the use of the social media tool in the movie.

If strictly analizing the movie you will find lots of clichés and rather unrealistic characters, but i took the movie for what it was and it was a fun, Smart movie that realistically depicted the use of social media today.

I've seen Super 8 and Cloverfield a few days back, I guess if you like the genre its nice but tbh I'd say they were average at most for me. The idea behind Cloverfield is nice, but honestly that camerawork is ridiculous. I understand why they do it, but you literally miss about 1/3rd or even half of the film because the camera is shaking or filming the ground or just blacked out, couldn't really appreciate it :rolleyes: (4/10)

Super 8 seemd too stereotype to me, bunch of kids who become heroes (I never really like that kind of genre, I just don't buy it) and the story surrounding the alien seems a little weird (incredibly violent yet "he just wants to go home"). And why do incredibly advanced alien species always look like the aliens from Alien?! You're not telling me aliens like that can build tech, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. (5/10)

Movies that I saw lately and liked them very very much:

Non-Stop (2014) - a film full of mystery, suspense and tension;

Liam Neeson shines in this dramatic role, excellent performance.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2024469/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

About Last Night (2014) - a fizzy romantic comedy, modern remake;

Smart and entertaining movie, Kevin Hart is simply hilarious.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1826590/

Planning to watch soon: Neighbors and Brick Mansions (2014)

I liked it. And i like the use of the social media tool in the movie.

If strictly analizing the movie you will find lots of clichés and rather unrealistic characters' date=' but i took the movie for what it was and it was a fun, Smart movie that realistically depicted the use of social media today.[/quote']

I love watching movie with food / cooking oriented. :)

I don't mind the usage of social media in the movie, I think it was good to have that element and pretty realistic and accordingly used.

Did you read the review on imdb site? The reviewer are bashing the act of overusing the social media tool in that movie. And some of the comment were OTT and lost the general idea of the movie.

I've seen Super 8 and Cloverfield a few days back' date=' I guess if you like the genre its nice but tbh I'd say they were average at most for me. The idea behind Cloverfield is nice, but honestly that camerawork is ridiculous. I understand why they do it, but you literally miss about 1/3rd or even half of the film because the camera is shaking or filming the ground or just blacked out, couldn't really appreciate it :rolleyes: (4/10)

Super 8 seemd too stereotype to me, bunch of kids who become heroes (I never really like that kind of genre, I just don't buy it) and the story surrounding the alien seems a little weird (incredibly violent yet "he just wants to go home"). And why do incredibly advanced alien species always look like the aliens from Alien?! [b']You're not telling me aliens like that can build tech[/b], it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. (5/10)

I'm an alien and I found this offensive.

I watched Raid II the other day, I have to say that it has to be one of the most action packed martial arts fighting films I have saw, very graphic fighting scenes with weapons such as shivs, claw-hammers, knives, scythes, baseball bats, guns etc, hundreds of deaths throughout this two and a half hour film, the story-line was held together quite well even with all the violence, not usually my cup of tea of a film but I found it quite watchable.

Primer is quite an interesting time travel movie' date=' pretty complex in the whole explanation of how it works and all, for me, whose english isnt the first language, it took a couple of views of the movie, aswell as reading a couple of summaries to actually understand their version of time travel and their rules etc. But its really worth watching, especially since its an indie movie.

[/quote']

Hi Maxpayne IF u liked "Primer" (as I did) I recommend u (or anyone else) have a look at "Coherence" a low budget Indie movie with some similarities of complexity, quantum mechanics, Schrödinger's cat theory, paradoxies, infinite possibilities. It's a hate it OR Love It film it seems from comments other people have made on IMDB. Watched it last night & loved it myself.

Picture this (if u can :confused:)

A dinner party, 4 couples, reports of a comet passing very close to earth & then very strange phenomena start to occur. They investigate the phenomena.... Picture a convergence of multiple alternate realities....... probably shouldn't say anymore, tho it's complex so even after watching you may not grasp it all so what's to give away.... Schrödinger's cat???

Saw the Longest Yard and Mean Machine again yesterday (both the remakes of the 1974 original). Gotta say I like the Adam Sandler one (The Longest Yard) a lot more than the Vinnie Jones (Mean Machine) film. Sandler's just seems to have more work put in it while Jones' seems rushed and is missing a lot of elements. Both are fun films though, got me a nice evening. I'd advise to watch Mean Machine first and then The Longest Yard simply because the latter is better, tv schedule had it the other way around last night for me unfortunately.

Hi Maxpayne IF u liked "Primer" (as I did) I recommend u (or anyone else) have a look at "Coherence" a low budget Indie movie with some similarities of complexity' date=' quantum mechanics, Schrödinger's cat theory, paradoxies, infinite possibilities. It's a hate it OR Love It film it seems from comments other people have made on IMDB. Watched it last night & loved it myself.

Picture this (if u can :confused:)

A dinner party, 4 couples, reports of a comet passing very close to earth & then very strange phenomena start to occur. They investigate the phenomena.... Picture a convergence of multiple alternate realities....... probably shouldn't say anymore, tho it's complex so even after watching you may not grasp it all so what's to give away.... Schrödinger's cat???[/quote']

I'm intrigued :)

Saw the Longest Yard and Mean Machine again yesterday (both the remakes of the 1974 original). Gotta say I like the Adam Sandler one (The Longest Yard) a lot more than the Vinnie Jones (Mean Machine) film. Sandler's just seems to have more work put in it while Jones' seems rushed and is missing a lot of elements. Both are fun films though' date=' got me a nice evening. I'd advise to watch Mean Machine first and then The Longest Yard simply because the latter is better, tv schedule had it the other way around last night for me unfortunately.[/quote']

The longest yard would be good if it didn't have Sandler in it. He's awful. Not Will Ferrett awful, but pretty damn annoying.

Apparently, I'm keen on messing with my mind this week so after watching "Stay" and "Signal" and getting Socca's recommendation for "Coherence", I'll give few movies a try and if anyone saw them - do give me a hint if they are worth my time or I can skip some :) Candidates are:

"Fermat's Room" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1016301/?ref_=rvi_tt

"Timecrimes" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"Sound of my voice" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748207/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"Synecdoche, New York" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383028/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"The Door" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1223934/?ref_=nv_sr_4

"The Man from Earth" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/?ref_=nv_sr_2

"Triangle" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Cheers in advance :) (if I don't get an opinion from you, you'll definitely have my recommendations soon enough :P)

Apparently' date=' I'm keen on messing with my mind this week so after watching "Stay" and "Signal" and getting Socca's recommendation for "Coherence", I'll give few movies a try and if anyone saw them - do give me a hint if they are worth my time or I can skip some :) Candidates are:

"Fermat's Room" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1016301/?ref_=rvi_tt

"Timecrimes" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"Sound of my voice" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748207/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"Synecdoche, New York" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383028/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"The Door" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1223934/?ref_=nv_sr_4

"The Man from Earth" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/?ref_=nv_sr_2

"Triangle" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Cheers in advance :) (if I don't get an opinion from you, you'll definitely have my recommendations soon enough :P)

Hi Gonish only watched 2 of these: Preferred "The Man from Earth" (7) over "Sound of my voice" (6). Neither are spectacular. Sound of my voice slightly disappointed my expectations but worth a watch. TMFE was very interesting in where it was leading to, mostly a conversational piece about the reasons this man is leaving all his good friends & the eventual answer is guessable but quite imaginative as well. Sounds boring (& certainly action fans would find it very boring) but I didn't find it so (cerebral I guess).

Will join you & watch some of the others & we can compare & contrast, I already have "Synecdoche, New York" but whenever I think of watching it I think it sounds too depressing & put it off while I feel "in the mood".

Some of the others do look interesting & I'll get round to them in time. In fact if you review them it will give me the stimulous to follow I'm sure... :)

Round 1 of time travelling:

"Coherence" - a movie you simply cannot watch just one time, much like "Primer". A review of it would probably eat up a few pages on forum (the good, the bad and the confused) and I'm pretty sure that the second review (after second or third watching of the movie) would be rather different than my current thoughts :) So, it's a very intriguing movie on the first watch and I would recommend it if you're up for slow paced mind bender. Thanks Socca, excellent shout ;)

"Triangle" - this one is much easier to grasp overall, but there are so many "easter eggs" in it that you'll (if you liked it) have no options but to see it again :) In short (and spoiler free) - hot chick (Melissa George) leaves her autistic son at home (school?) for a day off in which she'll enjoy a sailing trip with five more people (bf, brother of Thor (not Loki :)), married couple and third wheel lady). They enter the storm, they sink, they find an abandoned (or is it?) ship and then we have our fun - the rest is on you to find out :D Although I have some quarrels with this movie (but it's like with every time bending/travelling/looping cinematic experience) I think that problems could mostly be explained through second watching when you know what to look for (or just straight up ignore two or three scenes :D). Like I said, there is no great mind bending twists and a lot of it is straightforward and somewhat easy to predict, but that is just a scratch on the surface. So, you can be both lazy watcher and have a good fun with this flick or a detail hunter which could turn this movie into other direction and open some different interpretations. Overall - a very good mystery movie with SF elements

Round 1 of time travelling:

"Coherence" - a movie you simply cannot watch just one time' date=' much like "Primer". A review of it would probably eat up a few pages on forum (the good, the bad and the confused) and I'm pretty sure that the second review (after second or third watching of the movie) would be rather different than my current thoughts :) So, it's a very intriguing movie on the first watch and I would recommend it if you're up for slow paced mind bender. Thanks Socca, excellent shout ;)

"Triangle" - this one is much easier to grasp overall, but there are so many "easter eggs" in it that you'll (if you liked it) have no options but to see it again :) In short (and spoiler free) - hot chick (Melissa George) leaves her autistic son at home (school?) for a day off in which she'll enjoy a sailing trip with five more people (bf, brother of Thor (not Loki :)), married couple and third wheel lady). They enter the storm, they sink, they find an abandoned (or is it?) ship and then we have our fun - the rest is on you to find out :D Although I have some quarrels with this movie (but it's like with every time bending/travelling/looping cinematic experience) I think that problems could mostly be explained through second watching when you know what to look for (or just straight up ignore two or three scenes :D). Like I said, there is no great mind bending twists and a lot of it is straightforward and somewhat easy to predict, but that is just a scratch on the surface. So, you can be both lazy watcher and have a good fun with this flick or a detail hunter which could turn this movie into other direction and open some different interpretations. Overall - a very good mystery movie with SF elements[/quote']

Ok Gonish as soon as I have some time "Triangle" will be my next watch... :)

Well said your comments on "Coherence" mirror mine & I will watch again when I can. Having said that I did say the same about "Primer" & not got round to it yet:)

Coherence was fun. Looked at times in the beginning like it may have some horror elements but it was all but it. Gets very trippy towards the beginning' date=' and I could actually no longer follow, but importantly understood the concept. Interesting ending too, leaving it open to the public :P[/quote']

Glad you liked it Frozy, not bad for a low budget film eh. Have you seen "Primer"? If you liked Coherence you should like "Primer" but it's complex ie not easy to follow all the convuluted twists & turns.

Watched Triangle & realise how difficult it was for Gonish to sum-up. He did as good a job as was possible I think, without him (or I now) giving out spoilers. I'd only add my experience of thinking halfway through that it was going to be nearly impossible to find a satisfactory ending to a messy/ disjointed/ looping but interesting mystery. I was very surprised how well they managed to overcome "the impossible" & find a rather good "bigger ending". Might have been a dissapointing film but for me the ending saved it & I could look back on the "whole" with much more clarity than I thought possible. Yes there are probably more "layers" on a 2nd watch but certainly that's sufficient for me first watch.

Coherence was fun. Looked at times in the beginning like it may have some horror elements but it was all but it. Gets very trippy towards the beginning' date=' and I could actually no longer follow, but importantly understood the concept. Interesting ending too, leaving it open to the public :P[/quote']

Off to BioShock Infinite B)

Glad you liked it Frozy' date=' not bad for a low budget film eh. Have you seen "Primer"? If you liked Coherence you should like "Primer" but it's complex ie not easy to follow all the convuluted twists & turns.

Watched Triangle & realise how difficult it was for Gonish to sum-up. He did as good a job as was possible I think, without him (or I now) giving out spoilers. I'd only add my experience of thinking halfway through that it was going to be nearly impossible to find a satisfactory ending to a messy/ disjointed/ looping but interesting mystery. I was very surprised how well they managed to overcome "the impossible" & find a rather good "bigger ending". Might have been a dissapointing film but for me the ending saved it & I could look back on the "whole" with much more clarity than I thought possible. Yes there are probably more "layers" on a 2nd watch but certainly that's sufficient for me first watch.[/quote']

I blame Greek mythology :D