Sign in to follow this  
fraser mcinnes

Rate/Discuss Recent Films You HAVE Seen

Watched Hot Tub Time Machine 2.

Garbage.

I liked the first one but this was pretty lame with few good jokes and some cringe moments were they were way off the mark of funny (virtual reality scene is awful).

Reading some article about Robin Williams and his less known films (and was considered underrated), and I ended up watching One Hour Photo (2002) :

An employee of a one-hour photo lab becomes obsessed with a young suburban family.
I enjoyed this film and amazed with Robin Williams performance in this one - truly deserved more recognition.

And then decide to search for more film with 'photo' concept - found Time Lapse (2014) :

Three friends discover a mysterious machine that takes pictures 24hrs into the future and conspire to use it for personal gain, until disturbing and dangerous images begin to develop.
A time travel kind of film wrap around the idea of 'future images'.

From there, , I can't seems to get enough of time travel concept and go for another movie with the same concept, ended up with re-watching Looper (2012) :

In 2074, when the mob wants to get rid of someone, the target is sent into the past, where a hired gun awaits - someone like Joe - who one day learns the mob wants to 'close the loop' by sending back Joe's future self for assassination.
Still one of the best out there.

... and another time travel movie albeit with difference genre, Safety Not Guaranteed (2012) :

Three magazine employees head out on an assignment to interview a guy who placed a classified ad seeking a companion for time travel.
Interesting take on time travel concept imo and leave room for our own imagination.

... and another one, Project Almanac (2014) :

A group of teens discover secret plans of a time machine, and construct one. However, things start to get out of control.
Kinda linear for time travel films for my liking - the camera work also got on my nerve at some point. lol Although, bear in mind that this is 'found footage' kind of film.

Saw someone compared the camera work in this film with another film on IMDb discussion board, and decide to give this 'found footage' film a go - Chronicle (2012) :

Whilst attending a party, three high school friends gain superpowers after making an incredible discovery underground. Soon, though, they find their lives spinning out of control and their bond tested as they embrace their darker sides.
So much better camera work and I enjoyed the film too. Interesting take on superhero movie.

So there, the chain work on how I ended up with Chronicle (2012) from One Hour Photo (2002).

Kinda like Jurassic World, even though they are heading towards creating fictional dinosaurs direction. Nice touch that they showed part of the old JP site. Never mess with mother nature. Insidious would be next, I was torn between watching which film first, but I am not too big a fan of senseless horror and Jurassic was like my younger days horror, so that had to be it.

Kinda like Jurassic World' date=' even though they are heading towards creating fictional dinosaurs direction. Nice touch that they showed part of the old JP site. Never mess with mother nature. Insidious would be next, I torn between watching which film first, but I am not too big a fan of senseless horror and Jurassic was like my younger days horror, so that had to be it. [/quote']

I enjoyed the movie alot, even though it had its weaknesses. The Best part for me was definetly the T-Rex from the first JP movie (not really a spoiler, same island as the 1st JP movie, Isla Nublar, so its obvious the original T-Rex would make an apperance) it just brought me completely back to the JP world.

What i missed most in JW was the Tension, JP just left you breathless in several scenes, where as this movie was more about showcasing how awesome the VFX are nowadays.

Back in JP, they HAD to create tension throught those scenes, because the VFX were in a very early stage of life, and were very, very hard, long and expensive to create. Thats why many of the shots are animatronics. Also, that meant that Spielberg had to get creative and create a threat without actually showing it all the time. Hence the kitchen scene, where you do see raptors, but you also get those shots of just their feet, or their face behind the door of them opening the door etc... now thats terryfying >.>. Thats why i would love to see a Horror Movie director, like maybe a James Wan, direct a JP movie, just so we get back to what made JP a classic, that PG 13 horror that just captivated a whole generation. This JW was great, but i feel it didnt captivate the current generation, because their aim was wrong, they didnt really recreate the feel of JP, but tried to go the route of "we gona get them all with bigger badder monsters!".

Definetly a good watch, but the movie itself i would say its about on the same quality as the second jP movie. Its definetly enjoybale, but could've been so much more.

I enjoyed the movie alot' date=' even though it had its weaknesses. The Best part for me was definetly the T-Rex from the first JP movie (not really a spoiler, same island as the 1st JP movie, Isla Nublar, so its obvious the original T-Rex would make an apperance) it just brought me completely back to the JP world.

What i missed most in JW was the Tension, JP just left you breathless in several scenes, where as this movie was more about showcasing how awesome the VFX are nowadays.

Back in JP, they HAD to create tension throught those scenes, because the VFX were in a very early stage of life, and were very, very hard, long and expensive to create. Thats why many of the shots are animatronics. Also, that meant that Spielberg had to get creative and create a threat without actually showing it all the time. Hence the kitchen scene, where you do see raptors, but you also get those shots of just their feet, or their face behind the door of them opening the door etc... now thats terryfying >.>. Thats why i would love to see a Horror Movie director, like maybe a James Wan, direct a JP movie, just so we get back to what made JP a classic, that PG 13 horror that just captivated a whole generation. This JW was great, but i feel it didnt captivate the current generation, because their aim was wrong, they didnt really recreate the feel of JP, but tried to go the route of "we gona get them all with bigger badder monsters!".

Definetly a good watch, but the movie itself i would say its about on the same quality as the second jP movie. Its definetly enjoybale, but could've been so much more.

[/quote']

Hey good work, you explained my opinion in clear details, fictional and bigger badder dinos. I guess we are of the same "generation". Going away from the movie itself, these days it is all about the graphics, movies rely heavily on them. So being born in an earlier era we get to appreciate how good these old movie are despite it looking bad when compared to modern day movies. The upcoming Star Wars movie will have similar experiences, me thinks.

Hey good work' date=' you explained my opinion in clear details, fictional and bigger badder dinos. I guess we are of the same "generation". Going away from the movie itself, these days it is all about the graphics, movies rely heavily on them. So being born in an earlier era we get to appreciate how good these old movie are despite it looking bad when compared to modern day movies. The upcoming Star Wars movie will have similar experiences, me thinks. [/quote']

Star Wars has a whole different premise and scope though, im of the idea that no movie should rely just on VFX, but also that some movies need to rely on them more than others, JW was a case where there was too much reliance on VFX, which made the 'creative' part kinda lack, and so we got no real tension (aside from the kids in the round thing, which was a blatant and obvious copy/paste from the first JP). Many of the things could have been done with Animatronics, only problem is the economic roles of VFX and Mechanics are now inverted, VFX are fast cheap and give you a bigger range, animatronics are very expensive, very long to create, and virtually can only serve for a singular purpose. Still, thats no excuse to be greedy on a 150 mil budget >.>

Star Wars, along with any other deeply Sci-Fi related content, will always be bound to rely alot more from VFX (Just look at GoTG, its like 99% CG, and no one complained about the overuse of VFX there, because it was a space opera, something thats really hard to compare to something actually real, that you can touch or feel), for example, if SW was to go 90% VFX 10% Practical (percentage that roughly resembles that of JW) i would be very happy, because seeing the scope of the movie, to make a truly visually remarkable movie, you need that amount of VFX. Though I still want to see shots with real Miniature ships floating throught space, and those super cheesy space explosions, along with a real, and not cgi, Chewbacca, the Robots, the Stormtroopers, Ewoks and other creatures that can be done practically, and from this point of view i definetly hope they will learn from their mistakes with the rpequels and take the best out of what made the original trilogy so great.

Went to cinema the other day to watch Jurassic World - not gonna missed it for the world because it's the only film franchise that I went to cinema to watch them all.

I got what I expected - truly enjoyable experience, especially if you went to 3D version.

Such a shame how this forum has died! I used to love talking to people on here about films. If anyone is still around, feel free to add me at  https://letterboxd.com/Argie8/ 

its a really cool website where people can record what films theyve watched, write reviews, rate films, make lists and follow what theyre friends have been doing.

I really couldn't imagine why Enders Game was so anticipated by many. I like it but I'm not really a major fan of it. And I just kind of feel like it highlights women fight scenes the most.