Rate/Discuss Recent Films You HAVE Seen

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Rate/Discuss Recent Films You HAVE Seen Indiana Bones and the Temple of Booty' date=' Star Whores or maybe Sorest Rump [/color']

Re: Rate/Discuss Recent Films You HAVE Seen You know when u HAVE to watch a film & your sure it's not going to be very good. I watched Robot & Frank 2012 tonight & well was I suprised! It

Re: Rate/Discuss Recent Films You HAVE Seen

Great Film' date='I love Boxing Films on the whole and it's second behind The Raging Bull for me,Rocky is great but it isn't really a serious boxing movie so won't count it,however I found that Christian Bale's performance as Dicky Ecklund was superb,infact I thought most of the supporting cast was great but ended up outperforming Mark Wahlberg who was supposed to the main man in Micky Ward,I don't think Wahlberg was bad but he just wasn't up to the level of the other actors for me.

I think the main thing this film lacked was the Gatti vs Ward trilogy,as a boxing fan that was the key and the main part to his career as a boxer and why Ward is so revered throughout America,however with Gatti now been dead it's obviously something that I can understand not been put into the movie,still it's a shame because when you hear the name Mickey Ward you automatically think about the fights he had with Gatti,[/quote']

I think Walhberg was limited more by the character than his own ability and that sort of sums up why I don't rate it as highly as I maybe might have done. Micky Ward (as depicted the film) is just kind of there, he never really carves out a distinctive character that engages the audience as much as say, Randy Robinson did. Now sure thats down in part to a great performance from Micky Rourke, but it's also because he was a much richer, more complex character than Ward who was a pretty blank canvas really.

That said, having an understated lead to play off probably helps Bale's (and to a lesser extent Amy Adams and Melissa Leo's characters too) Dicky Eklund look as good as it did. This comes with the caveat that I am something of a Walhberg apologist though, not a huge fan or anything and granted he's done some rubbish but generally speaking I think he's one of the good guys and more often than not puts in a respectable shift.

PAUL

MV5BMTQzNzAwMTM3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE1MTAzNA@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Paul is an enjoyable film. It is not challenging, it never splits your sides, it won't have you leaving the cinema with a different outlook on things, but it is entertaining.

The opening scenes of the film are quite slowly-paced, with few of the intended jokes being funny, apart from the subtle sci-fi and geek nature references dotted around. Where the film starts to pick up is after the introduction of Paul himself, whose CGI is so good there was not a single moment where I knew I was looking at a computer-generated character.

This being a comedy, it will succeed or fail based on it's humour. As I said, it is never side-splittingly funny, but as the film progresses, there are more and more funny moments that have you chuckling.

The characters work in an odd way in this film. That is, at the start of the film, Pegg and Frost's characters seem really out of place (though this is quasi-intentional), and throughout the film, the way the main human characters interact with each other is somewhat bland and uninteresting. I say human characters because when Paul is in the scene, all the characters suddenly improve and interact a lot better. I'm not usually a fan of the characters that Seth Rogen plays - Paul himself is of a similar mould - but this film made me want more of him on screen due to what the character brought. He brings the best jokes (not always directly from him, but again due to interaction), ups the pacing of the film, and is actually a very likeable character.

In contrast, the character of Ruth's father is not too likeable, despite being a well-disguised good guy. The way he is written would have him as a minor antagonist in this film, but the link between him and daughter Ruth puts him on the good side. While I can understand why he is technically classed as a good guy - he wants his daughter home safely and as such Ruth, Paul and the others can't neglect/harm/kill him because he hasn't really done anything but get angrily confused like most overprotective fathers - he is written as a bit of a douche, and a bit more character development would have been nice on this occasion.

The action scenes are good though, and the scenes with the FBI agents are funny (though they reek of stereotypical useless cops). Furthermore, there are no noticeable plot-holes or ridiculously cliche moments. The story itself is well written, and escalates well. The constantly growing party of chasers and escapees fleshes out the middle of the film nicely. As I said, the Paul character is very nicely done, with human morals, and inhuman abilities. The ending is similar to other Pegg/Frost films, but has a Hollywood feel to it too, and the Hollywood predictably of some moments in the film could be discouraging, but they work well enough to actually help the film.

All in all, Paul is enjoyable. It's the best word for it. It's a good, harmless, entertaining film that's best watched with a few mates.

I give Paul a healthy 7.5 Pies out of 10

Graeme: You are an alien!

Paul: To you I am, yes.

Graeme: Are you gonna probe us?

Paul: Why does everyone always assume that? What am I doing? Am I harvesting flatulence? How much can I learn from an anus?

I just watched 'Children of Men'. It was exceptionally good, it had an open finish so it wasn't a happy ever after sort of film. There is a fair bit of violence and you see heads being blown off and things like that.

It is about a world where woman are infertile so the youngest person in the world is 18 years old. I won't ruin the story line for you but it is a must watch.

Guest drseanfitz

another fantastic film I seen' date=' The Human Centipede. I can't really describe it or you might not believe me but watch the trailer on youtube and then go see it.[/quote']

watching it on syfy now

Re: Riferimento: Re: Rate/Discuss Recent Films You HAVE Seen

lol ive jyst seen the trailer of it and i gotta say that the director is a pretty twisted guy if he was able tothink of a concept like this.... lets hope that its not based on a true story lol....

The film was 'inspired' (if thats the right word) by Nazi experiments carried out in WWII by Josef Mengele. He's know to have tried to create his own conjoined twins in Auschwitz.

The film was 'inspired' (if thats the right word) by Nazi experiments carried out in WWII by Josef Mengele. He's know to have tried to create his own conjoined twins in Auschwitz.

Its one of the weirdest films i've ever seen in my life, and haunts me

Its one of the weirdest films i've ever seen in my life' date=' and haunts me[/quote']

I know what you mean, I saw it, not sure why but its very disturbing. I told a mate about it and he said he'd rent it out... He went to the shop and the guy behind the counter asked if he was ok, and 100% sure he wanted to rent it.

At Auschwitz, Mengele did a number of twin studies. After the experiment was over, these twins were usually killed and their bodies dissected. He supervised an operation by which two Romani children were sewn together to create conjoined twins; the hands of the children became badly infected where the veins had been resected, this also caused gangrene

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :eek: