UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread What is your problem you seem to be constantly throwing your weight around looking for arguments. Its boring. How has ANYTHING Jack said been arrogant?

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread +

Guest Scout Maker

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Dzeko is at Wolsfburg if we live in the same planet :D

I'll go jump of that bridge now ;)

Same Kit I guess :P

Just as I type this, Almeida hits the bar.

How does Boghossian look ?

Hmm, well he's done okay but he's not playing great. He's certainly causing problems when balls are being played into the box, but his hold-up play is often found wanting. His best moment was when he collected the ball, evaded his marker and sprayed a lovely ball out to the right winger who won a free-kick. He's had one shot but he was caught in two minds as whether to shoot or play in Zarate, but by the time he realised that he had to shoot, he was forced out wide and could only muster a tame effort with his weaker left-foot.

However, his service hasn't always been great. Salzburg's formation is questionable with Zarate playing out wide despite being an out-and-out forward. He keeps drifing inside which distorts the formation, although Jantscher on the left looks dangerous. He is their best threat and Boghossian's best chance of grabbing a goal. Indeed, Boghossian almost got on the end of one of Jantscher's crosses from the left, but it was just too high for him.

I think Hapoel look the better team to be brutally honest. Salzburg had a decent spell once the got back on level terms but the Israelis seem to have more of a cutting edge about them. If Salzburg want to stand a chance of progressing to the group stages of the UCL, they'll need to get on level terms at the very least, and in front ideally before the night is over.

One thing's for sure, though - there's more goals in this.

One thing's for sure' date=' though - there's more goals in this.[/quote']

Yup, I was right. Hapoel continue in the same vein they ended the first half, as do Salzburg with some more horrible defending. Salzburg's high line was exposed dreadfully and as they miserably tried to play the off-side trap, Shechter races through on goal and slots home beautifully. 3-1, and tie over I feel. :(

EDIT: And now Boghossian's subbed off. :(

Also, Partizan 1-1 Anderlecht and Basel 1-0 Sheriff

Drama! Jantscher, Salzburg's best player waltzes through a couple of tackles into the penalty area and is brought down by the latter defender. Roman Wallner (Boghossian's replacement) sweeps home the resultant penalty. Alan also comes on to boost the attack - Salzburg are going for it, as they have to.

Palombo's another legend. :)

Is the legend Tim Borowski playing?

Yes, he's playing.

It's rather funny how many pundits and people said that with the transfer of Ozil, Bremen lost their status and became weak. Ozil was one of the main players, but he certainly wasn't the only one (well overhyped, IMO). Bremen are a still top tier team and showed it today. Bravo!

EDIT: I'm at least glad that Stankevičius has been doing well after he came on.

Cassano fails to show up yet again on a bigger stage or when more people are watching... Shocker.:rolleyes: The guy is certainly a magician from time-to-time' date=' but anymore he really is "all hat and no cattle".

Yet another clinical butt-kicking dished out by Germans...

.[/quote']

Have you seen his 'dive'. I mean, at first sight I wasn't sure either if it was a foul or if the ball was really played first, but what he does afterwards is a pure disgrace and the main reason why I hate Italian football(ers) so much.

He rolls on the floor, but looks during rolling, sees that the ref doesn't blow his whistle, rolls a bit further with even more 'passion' while holding his leg, looks again, notices that the ref still doesn't give a foul, and then all of a sudden is able to jump up while basically facing death a few moments earlier, runs towards the ref and starts yelling at him...

Game finishes 3-2 to Hapoel Tel Aviv. Really entertaining game with worthy winners, who could have won by more in truth. Salzburg only scored through a penalty and a sole moment of sheer quality, so I find it hard to see them even drawing in Israel, let alone getting the two goal victory they require to progress to the next stage of the competition.

Yes' date=' he's playing.

It's rather funny how many pundits and people said that with the transfer of Ozil, Bremen lost their status and became weak. Ozil was one of the main players, but he certainly wasn't the only one (well overhyped, IMO). Bremen are a still top tier team and showed it today. Bravo!

EDIT: I'm at least glad that Stankevičius has been doing well after he came on.[/quote']

Yeah, Bremen have got a bloody good squad, and that is what helped Ozil really. The chance to play regularly alongside a midfield of Marin, Borowski, Frings and Hunt, and an attack of Pizzaro and/or Almeida got the best out of him. They've also got a beastly defence.

I'm suprised to see that nobody made comments on the Braga x Sevilla match.

I'm very happy for Braga. They'll need luck at Sanchez Pizjuan' date=' but they're just one small step away of the ultimate dream. :)[/quote']

They coped pretty well with Sevilla and have to have the belief they can do it again for the return leg. Sevilla will have one more game under their belt and the home crowd, so it's going to be tough, but an away goal may be enough for Braga :)

My Spurs were horrible defensively. Dawson and Bassong were trash and Spurs are lucky still to be in the tie. Saying that the opening 2 goals had a touch of fortune about them with the way the ball fell for Young Boys. Schewnly should have scored at least once for in the 2nd half as well. Surprisingly Bale played better than Assou-Ekotto at LB:eek:

Bringing Huddlestone on was a really good change imo. After that change rarely did any Young Boys attack start from the middle and Spurs were dominating the midfield. Hopefully Spurs have done enough with those 2 goals and the return of King should help them at WHL.

Yeah, Young Boys had the midfield and it was good thing that Redknapp subbed in Huddlestone so early on, otherwise the score could have been the double for Young Boys, in my opinion. Palacios, who was awful pre-Huddlestone, was a giant after Huddlestone came in. Young Boys should have scored on those two big chances they got in the 2nd half. Those misses will cost Young Boys big times...

Sick of hearing Ozil is overhyped and astonished to hear Bremen have a beastly defense:rolleyes: Bremen at the best of times are defensively cr@p. The only reason they looked good yesterday was due to Sampdoria being inept in midfield with Palombo and Tissone non-existant.

They won't miss Ozil much 'cos Marin was their key player last season (He still topped the asissts chart last season I think) but he was superb at the WC. On the basis of the WC alone he wasn't overhyped one bit

I agree 100% :)

Same here. 110 % :P

On the point of Ozil, i know this is WC related, but he did not rip the WC to shreds. Where has all this hype come from ? Im astounded, before the WC no one had watched him or spoke about him, post WC, he becomes the biggest talent in europe. What a joke.

Guest Scout Maker

Watched the second half of Sevilla vs Braga, decent enough game, Braga's defence was solid. Palop was very unlucky with the goal, he pulled off a fantastic save but then Matheus latched onto the rebound and celebrated by pulling out his Daughter's dummy.

That was a fantastic goal by Fritz for Werder, and Andyowls, when Hapoel scored their third goal did you see the player take out a Kippur?

Watched the second half of Sevilla vs Braga' date=' decent enough game, Braga's defence was solid. Palop was very unlucky with the goal, he pulled off a fantastic save but then Matheus latched onto the rebound and celebrated by pulling out his Daughter's dummy.

That was a fantastic goal by Fritz for Werder, and Andyowls, when Hapoel scored their third goal did you see the player take out a Kippur?[/quote']

A kippur? Is that a skull cap? If so, then yes.