Group A: Inter, Werder Bremen, Tottenham Hotspur, Twente

Group B: Lyon, Benfica, Schalke, Hapoel Tel-Aviv

Group C: Man Utd, Valencia, Rangers, Bursaspor

Group D: Barcelona, Panathinaikos, Copenhagen, Rubin

Group E: Bayern Munich, Roma, Basel, CFR Cluj

Group F: Chelsea, Marseille, Spartak Moscow, Zilina

Group G: AC Milan, Real Madrid, Ajax, Auxerre

Group H: Arsenal, Shakhtar, SC Braga, Partizan

You always get one or two surprise packages each season...

or just get rid of this stupid group thing and just put all of the teams that qualify for both tourneys into the european cup' date=' straight knockout and what happens happens :D[/quote']

I actually agree with this, but god forbid, this format wouldn't generate as much money. :rolleyes:

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread What is your problem you seem to be constantly throwing your weight around looking for arguments. Its boring. How has ANYTHING Jack said been arrogant?

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread +

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Actually, I'd say Bursaspor really do have chances and I wouldn't be surprised if they would put their money worth against Valencia and Rangers. They did beat both Fenerbache and Galatasaray for the title and saved their core, so this is definitely a team to look out for.

Also, fully agreed with burs and Andy - it would definitely be interesting to watch that, but it's not going to happen.

I wonder if many would change their predictions now that Milan have signed Robinho and Ibra... plenty didn't think they would progress.

They were easily going to progress without them imo anyway. Even more so now, they'll be a huge threat to the major favourites definitely now!

I wonder if many would change their predictions now that Milan have signed Robinho and Ibra... plenty didn't think they would progress.

I've always believed our squad is as good as many other of the top teams (before the signings of both Zlatan and Robinho that is). I mean' date=' our GK position is quite strongly filled in Abbiati and Amelia, who both are good keepers and it should be interesting to see who takes the starting spot for us as it's not been confirmed yet who is number (although Abbiati started in the game against Lecce last week, but I pray to god it's Amelia to takes the No.1 spot).

The defence is quite solid aswell. Antonini is [i']very[/i] underrated and will be covering up nicely for Dinho and Ronaldinho, who most of you knows, will be lazy at working back home. Bonera, Sokratis, and even Antonini can all play right-back. And while I do admit it's our biggest weakness (the RB position), it isn't so weak as people wants to make out of it. In the centre of the defence, we have perhaps the best CB pair in the World - Thiago Silva and Nesta. Majority of the people who don't follow Serie A/Milan thinks Nesta is just one of the ''oldies'' in the Milan squad, but here's some news for you all haters, you are DEAD wrong! He is as good as he was 7 years ago, but the only difference is that he is much more injury-phrone, but when he is fit, he is one of the best defenders in the whole world. You guys don't need further information on Thiago Silva, so I'll skip past him... Now this leads me to Yepes and Sokratis: Yepes was last season a part of the defence who conceded second less goals (only Inter conceded lesser) and the team finished 16th aswell (Chievo), and he (and perhaps Mantovani) played the biggest role, so have him as a back-up is just great. And it doesn't hurt either that he has CL/Uefa Cup routine from the past (with PSG). Sokratis is another great defender, and whilst I do can admit that he is phrone of making mistakes every now and then, his potential is huge. In a year or two, I can see him taking over Nesta. With the right development, I don't think it's to much to ask from him.

Now the midfield may seem old and slow, but if Pirlo (who has been playing in a more defensive minded role these past year, hence why we don't see so much of him during the games) is adapting fast into that more offensive role he has been given by Allegri, I believe we can see Pirlo shine like he did 4-5 years ago. He showed last weekend (against Lecce) what he can do in a more offensive role (a la Xavi), so this early promise is looking good! Ambro is certainly not getting the attention he deserves. Everyone is taking about Dinho's and Thiago Silva's season last season (rightfully so aswell), but this guy certainly deserves cred aswell. At the age of 33, he is playing like a 23, and could be used as last season by Leo (box-to-box player) or as an more defensive minded player. Hopefully he'll be used as a box-to-box player, as I see that he is benefiting most of playing there, but as we acquired K-P Boateng, who's a box-to-box player aswell, I believe Ambro will be mainly used a more defensive player than last season. I'm sure Ambro will have no problems to keep up his last season form in a more defensive role, as Ambro is orginally a more defensive player than an offensive player. K-P Boateng will also give us much more that extra creativity in the midfield that we so badly needs to the midfield. I'm sure he can keep his good game, so far he has proven that he is a good player and I believe in this guy, he can be huge.

Our striker situation are now world famous, so I don't need to write a rant about them ;)

i think milan's formation is horrible due to the fact that there lf and rf dont come back quick enough to help and defend..

if they played a different formation maybe they wouldnt get torn apart by some big teams in the Champions league.

K-P Boateng showed during the WC that he can do the dirty work aswell, and as Milan plays with 3 CM's, the two CM's who are most widely out (Ambro and Boateng), will be covering on the left and the right flank respectivly when Dinho/Robinho/Pato doesn't work home, and Antonini and Bonera/Sokratis will be covering up fo their lazyness aswell. We also play 4-3-1-2 now under Allegri, so Dinho/Robinho/Pato won't be at the flanks anyways.

Nope for me I actually think this may hinder there progress more than anything,say if they played a front three of Ronaldinho-Ibra-Robinho then can you honestly see any of those three tracking back? it happened against Man Utd last year where they was able to keep possesion of the ball easily simply because the second they got the ball they could overflow the midfield and push the full backs further forward than normal,every other team will defend and forwards will help with the defence which I can't see Milan doing,if only 7 people try and defend and pressure instead of 10 such as teams like Barcelona,Man Utd do then you are always going to struggle,Milan will be probably one of the best teams on the ball but when they have to defend I worry for Milan a bit.

We had a different coach with a different philosophy last season(samba footie was Leo's philosophy), and although Allegri also likes to attacking football, he does it more structured. By that I mean that the attackers aren't allowed to be lazy at the defence, which we also saw a result of against Lecce last weekend - The flanks of Lecce were non exisisting and they tried to counter on the flanks, but Dinho and Pato several times helped out the right/left back to take out the wingers. Besides, we played with Huntelaar last season against United as a winger, doesn't that say something? He is a big targetman, not a flashy winger who can do whatever he fancies. And also, a lot of you guys are basing Milan from last seasons game against United. That just shows ignorance. I mean, how do you think we beat Madrid last year at their own home stadium?! How have we done these 6/7 months after the United game? We have played like 20 games after the United one, we've had new players coming in, we have a new coach with another philosophy, so have can you guys have the guts to say that Milan aren't a team that has a good shot at the CL title?

We had a different coach with a different philosophy last season(samba footie was Leo's philosophy)' date=' and although Allegri also likes to attacking football, he does it more structured. By that I mean that the attackers aren't allowed to be lazy at the defence, which we also saw a result of against Lecce last weekend - The flanks of Lecce were non exisisting and they tried to counter on the flanks, but Dinho and Pato several times helped out the right/left back to take out the wingers. Besides, we played with Huntelaar last season against United as a winger, doesn't that say something? He is a big targetman, not a flashy winger who can do whatever he fancies. And also, a lot of you guys are basing Milan from last seasons game against United. That just shows ignorance. I mean, how do you think we beat Madrid last year at their own home stadium?! How have we done these 6/7 months after the United game? We have played like 20 games after the United one, we've had new players coming in, we have a new coach with another philosophy, so have can you guys have the guts to say that Milan aren't a team that has a good shot at the CL title?[/quote']

I thnik Milan are perfectly set-up to play on the counter-attack with the forward line they've now accumulated. Having to play Huntelaar, Boriello and even Pippo held Milan back last season and the counter-attacking style didn't suit these players. But it's a very different story now and I'm certain Milan will be a threat to any side in the competition this year :) . My only concern is whether the board/fans will demand that priority is given to trying to regain the Scudetto this year as it can't have been easy looking on the last few seasons at Inter's success. If the Scudetto is indeed made the priority, then the CL challenge may be affected.

• 2 weeks later...

Return of the Champions League tonight then! :D

Some pretty nice games tonight, but I'll definitely be watching Spurs v Bremen. That's going to be good. Looking forward to seeing VDV as he looked very good against West Brom with Modric and Lennon, although Modric is out I think.

Return of the Champions League tonight then! :D

Some pretty nice games tonight' date=' but I'll definitely be watching Spurs v Bremen. That's going to be good. Looking forward to seeing VDV as he looked very good against West Brom with Modric and Lennon, although Modric is out I think.[/quote']

marin will run them ragid.

Who should I watch:

United Rangers

or

Barca Panathinkinitos (horribly spelled!)

And I will be watching Tottenham on my laptop at the same time! :D

i'd watch the utd game' date=' only cos there will be 6 or 7 goals in it lol.

;1160226']Crouch is only good because of his height.

Look at the CBs of Bremen; he will be ineffectual.

exactly , Mertesacker 6ft6 and Naldo is 6ft6 , i know crouch is bigger but i doubt he will able to handle those 2..

But there injured lol

23mins before kick-off, gonna really enjoy watching this, regardless of the outcome. At a glance ahead I'd be happy with a draw, yet saying that I hope we don't play straight from the start in a ultra-conservative manner.

Our lineups just come through on the THFC site:

TEAM NEWS - Four changes from West Brom. King, Assou-Ekotto, Jenas and Crouch for Gallas, Modric, Palacios and Pavlyuchenko.

STARTING XI: Cudicini; Corluka, Kaboul, King, Assou-Ekotto; Lennon, Huddlestone, Jenas, Bale; Van der Vaart; Crouch.

SUBS: Pletikosa, Bassong, Gallas, Kranjcar, Palacios, Keane, Pavlyuchenko.