UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread What is your problem you seem to be constantly throwing your weight around looking for arguments. Its boring. How has ANYTHING Jack said been arrogant?

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread +

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

I still have a hard time melting that equalizer right at the end, but Real, are Real after all, so it was a decent outcome anyways.

Some point though;

Midfield looked very good throughout the game, in my opinion. Allegri finally realized that he needs to have two warriors alongside Pirlo and not a slow player, who he has constantly prefered otherwise in CL, Seedorf. At Bernabeu, when Seedorf started, we lost the midfield quite easily and early as a result of Seedorf not having the pace to make it in the biggest games. Let alone that freekick by Ronaldo... Anyway, the Boateng-Pirlo-Gattuso midfield has always worked out so far and finally Allegri realized it. Boateng, unlike Seedorf, has the speed, a better work-rate and not to mention, he is simply a better footballer. I personally though the midfield stood up quite good against Real Madrid - Boateng and Gattuso had a good job in taking out Alonso (especially in the 2nd half) and thus, Real Madrid's was strucked and most of the attacks always started with Di Maria and Ronaldo. If we would have good fullbacks, then Madrid would stand a zero chance of scoring some, as good fullbacks would never constantly let the attacks start on the flanks when the flanks constantly starts them as the playmaker has been taken out by the midfield.

Good choice by Allegri to bring out Inzaghi. It was clearly what we needed. Dinho wasn't in match-shape (although he had some good dribbles and such) and Pato is still clearly in bad form, which I hope he'll get rid of as soon as possible. Ibra was dangerous at some periods during the 1st half, but he was on his own against skillful and strong defenders in Pepe and Carvalho who both didn't found it hard to mark him and take him out. Pippo then comes in, drags the defenders apart, gives more spaces for Ibra (and himself) and as Ibra gets more space, Ibra have the short extra-time he so badly to do wonders and look who assists to the first goal.

To all the people that watched the Spurs X Inter match

(plus Burs & maybe Neller and not to mention every other Rafa apologist)...

Sorry guys... I used Burs' posts earlier in my example.. THESE are the posts:

• "with all teams when they change managers who bring in new philosophies it takes time for them to fully adapt
  • "you cant properly judge the team yet (at this point in the season)"
  • and there were some more that I don't need to list

Read those quotes again please (^^^) Read them again so you know what I am talking about...Surely you guys can see that you can't use the exact same comments about Benitez's tactics and then turn around and use those exact same quotes to condemn another coach's tactics.... a fella (Hodgson) who just so happens to be the manager of a very very disappointing team.

Come on..... Just take those statements back... (don't worry Burs this is just a simple battle, we still have a friendly War to wage... :) Just take those statements back or take your statements about OTHER managers back.. Again, my LFC comrade, you cannot have it both ways) If you try to have it both ways it deludes everything else good that you write on here. It just does...

Personally....As far as calling out Benitez goes..... Guess what... I did it during the perfect storm. Sorry... I couldn't help myself... ;)

He lost a tactical nightmare within 24 hours that two other Top-Tier managers did what was expected... I am sorry for my timing.

I'd like to say that I am above it, but guess what...I'm not. That said, I am a world champ heavyweight contender and I know when to pick and choose my battles...

As it turned out within 24-hours 2 Top-Tier Futbol managers were LIGHTS OUT with their intra-match tactics (Allegri & Mourinho) and 1 Top-Tier Futbol manager was absolutely ATROCIOUS.

And I am not talking about the results... I am talking about the tactics...

No one seems to be willing to give Mourinho or Allegri their due.... Whatever... That's not my point here...

But let me ask you guys seriously this...

Please explain to us Benitez's tactics this past match from his initial line-up to the bench to the TACTICS to the substitutes to the timing...? Just please explain all of it. (I'm a futbol-stupid American, just explain his futbol tactics to me so I can understand what he was trying to accomplish, because to the futbol layman it was knucklehead-indecipherable...! )

Why do I ask... Because I want to know what I am missing with Benitez this year... I TRULY DO...I want to know what everyone else sees that I don't...

Because as far as I can tell he is match-day managing the Inter squad NO DIFFERENT that he was a lesser-Liverpool squad last year.

I don't get it. PLEASE help me understand.

(and please don't regress into his background, etc..., because I can go toe-to-toe with you on that on the LFC thread, not to mention that it's not the point on this thread)

I am talking about his tactics vs Tottenham.

Last 135 Minutes :

Tottenham
6 X 1
European Champs Inter now coached by Benitez

Please explain his tactics...

I am a smart boy... I want to know tactics-wise this year what I don't see that has half of Liverpool supporters raving & half of Inter Milan supporters indifferent...

Again, everyone, please keep it about his tactics last game (and/or this year)...

Thx

JC

P.S I really want to hear from the smart guys on here what I am missing when it comes to Benitez this year. So please speak up...

Johnny think you missed what I was saying :) , but its ok I'll let you off ;) seems I was working and probably blurted it out all wrong :o.

#1 Why would I defend Rafa's tactics against Spurs? for one as I mentioned I never saw the game and for 2 by sounds of all the reports (and of course the result) he got it totaly wrong esp regarding Bale - that was not my point at all.

#2 why should we ignore all background history? it's not like im trying to say he never got it wrong against Inter because hes won stuff in the past, but if you are going to rip into a manager because he got it wrong in a match you HAVE to see if hes gotten it right before and its quite clearly he has.

This will turn out to be a pretty pointless debate as was ones in the past, so unlike them ones I cba to make it last about 3 pages :P , I really rate Rafa as a manager and believe the stick he gets for getting stuff wrong is unreal and can't think of any other manager who gets it so badly (inc everyones super can do no wrong Jose who has got it wrong many, many times before), but you dont rate him and we aint going to change each others opinion, so lets just leave it at that :)

I don't think you will find anyone who could defend his tactics in this match, Johnny to be honest. It's clear the game plan was pretty poor and played into Spurs hands somewhat. Also not reacting to the ever-imposing threat of Bale during the game was most un-Rafa like. Perhaps he felt that arguably the best RB in the world should have been able to cope with a young up-and-coming star, but clearly he didn't and it highlighted a failing in Rafa to react in this case.

You also mentioned the fact that this is the reigning champions we're talking about. But hand on heart, would you say that this squad, whilst being the same personnel wise, is as good as last year's side. The side contains some players who are past the threshold of their peak (on the decline). The evergreen Zanetti, case in point really. Has been a fantastic player, but on the decline no doubt. Couple to the fact that arguably the world's best Defensive midfielder, a man pivotal to Inter's success last year, was also missing. Having said that, Rafa should have recognised this and perhaps played a more cautious side as Mourinho would have and as Rafa indeed did many a time with Liverpool, so again you could call him on that.

Would Rafa had played the same side and used the same tactics if this was in the knockout stages? I sincerely doubt it. Not trying to defend him too much, as clearly he got it overwhelmingly wrong in this game. But it will be interesting to see what side and tactics Rafa employs in the latter rounds. I suspect his tactical awareness will be more tuned in when it really matters in the knock-out stages. The Spurs game, however, was clearly a bad day at the office (which we all have from time to time).

THESE (^^^) are fair points, Neller...

But all I am looking for is one person in this very knowledgeable futbol community to give us sound reasons for Benitez's tactics this very last match versus Spurs...

Just simply walk us through the Tactics step-by-step

IMO if you do that exercise you will find that the Benitez had very very very flawed tactics throughout the entire match.

Also IMO if you do that exercise you will find that when compared to what Allegri & Mourinho did in this last match or what someone like Laudrup does every match, that Benitez's "tactics" this week were well below those who most people consider his peers.

Again, I am just hoping that 1 person or a collective of smart futbol people can walk us through his reasoning vs Spurs (right or wrong).

Don't even worry about the "Bale killed Maicon" stuff.

• I want to understand his reasoning for pairing Biabiany with Maicon.
  • I want to understand his allowing Zanetti to get bottled up in central midfield and not do what he does best, which is do-his-own-job-and help-others-out.
  • I want to understand the substitution policy, aside from Muntari being injured.
  • I want to understand how the most in-form player in the world 4 months ago can't find the field until there are 20 minutes to go despite being fully fit.
  • I want to understand why, if he was playing for a single point, why he started this European Championship team from last year with such a high line.
  • I want to understand if he wanted to free up Zanetti, why he didn't bring in Coutinho earlier.

• Basically I want to understand if despite having a better badder club if the guy has changed his tactics at all from a year ago...

Listen....The European Champions with the exact same squad as last year were just outscored 6-1 over the last 135 minutes by friggin' Spurs.... 6-1!!! Excuse me, but sound the G-D alarms...

Shouldn't someone be asking questions... ?

That would be like saying Wenger is awful just because he never found a way to deal with Ronaldo over 2 legs in the previous CL.

neither did jose in his first season at inter when he ripped them to shreds home and away

I want to understand what I am missing with this guy this ' date=' and how he has changed from last season.[/b']

from what i've seen of inter so far this season they're more attacking than he was when at liverpool, and you are forgetting that they absolutely ripped spurs in the first half at the san siro. problem for him is that its the same team, quite a lot of older players and they didnt really strengthen this summer which will make it darn difficult to match last season or come that close as branca/moratti decided to rest on their laurels big time in the summer which looks like costing them

but whilst his tactics were wrong in that game (to me it looked like get biabiany to go at assou ekkoto like in the first game first half and that he saw the second half, or the last 5 minutes of it as a blip down to them switching off as they were better for most of that half and looked far more likely to score), maicon had a shocker and he seems to have gotten a pass in all this when protection or no protection he should have done WAY better (doing things like putting him on his right foot for example) and he should take some of the blame for a gash performance really

btw milito was coming back from an injury and AFAIK wasnt fully fit, and their poor bench comes from their lack of transfer activity this summer (and rafa isnt the one signing players there, like mourinho (except mourinho got quaresma who he really wanted), and when you have a lot of injury issues that were initially aggravated from last season affecting you this (if you miss cesar, stankovic, milito and cambiasso it will affect you a hell of a lot, regardless of who the manager is). and one thing many have forgotten - mourinho went over a year without a home win in the CL and inter just about scraped through the group stages under him, so its not as if his predecessor waltzed through the groups, it was anything but (and tbh last year kiev shouldnt have lost to them in the groups which would ultimately have eliminated inter)

but as smartdoc says, he would never have played this way in a knockout game protecting a lead away from home and IMO he went for the kill that night knowing that a win against twente at home would see them through if it failed (which they probably should win as they've been very good at home in the CL bar the last 5 minutes against spurs), except it backfired on him

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea 1-0 down to MSk Zilina at home. :eek:

If they lose tonight i feel Ancelotti may be on his way out.

Why?:confused: They are still top of the EPL and would still be top of their CL group even if they did lose tonight. You don't get rid of a manager just because he loses a few games in a row.

Why?:confused: They are still top of the EPL and would still be top of their CL group even if they did lose tonight. You don't get rid of a manager just because he loses a few games in a row.

they are just top of EPL, they threw away a 6 point lead. they might be top of their champions league group but as long as your qualified it dont really matter.

Chelsea are going downhill, i can see Newcastle giving Chelsea an upset, plus Chelsea havent got easy games coming up - newcastle, everton, spurs, man utd, arsenal

they are just top of EPL' date=' they threw away a 6 point lead. they might be top of their champions league group but as long as your qualified it dont really matter.

Chelsea are going downhill, i can see Newcastle giving Chelsea an upset, plus Chelsea havent got easy games coming up - newcastle, everton, spurs, man utd, arsenal[/quote']

So are you saying you would sack a manger for losing a whopping 2 league games in a row?:rolleyes:

If anyone has seen Ajax V Real Madrid: did Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos get sent off on purpose? I read somewhere they did as to miss the final group game but didn't see it myself.

I've heard they both got sent off for time wasting which seems bizarre :P Clever if they did as you suggested though. Anyone remember Beckham vs Wales?

I've heard they both got sent off for time wasting which seems bizarre :P Clever if they did as you suggested though. Anyone remember Beckham vs Wales?

Sergio Ramos supposedly was going to take a goal kick (I would think this tells you everything) and he was taking his time over it.

Sergio Ramos supposedly was going to take a goal kick (I would think this tells you everything) and he was taking his time over it.

qMV4OkvWbSE

UQIrje0dgns

Neither looks really bothered at all with the sending offs, especially Sergio Ramos. Mourinho doesn't seem angry at all, just gets on with it too. 4-0 up, dunno why they bothered even doing it.

qMV4OkvWbSE

UQIrje0dgns

Neither looks really bothered at all with the sending offs' date=' especially Sergio Ramos. Mourinho doesn't seem angry at all, just gets on with it too. 4-0 up, dunno why they bothered even doing it.[/quote']

Lmao, Only Mourinho could invent such a thing.

Its obvious they did it on purpose, with a 4-0 score, why on earth would you waste time like that.

Lol, at the Sergio ramos time waste Luis Suarez was like

Neither looks really bothered at all with the sending offs' date=' especially Sergio Ramos. Mourinho doesn't seem angry at all, just gets on with it too. 4-0 up, dunno why they bothered even doing it.[/quote']

Well, they're through and top so it's not as if they'd have played the last group match anyway. Only reason I can think of is to wipe their yellow card slates? No idea if that happens automatically after the group games are over or not?

Well' date=' they're through and top so it's not as if they'd have played the last group match anyway. Only reason I can think of is to wipe their yellow card slates? No idea if that happens automatically after the group games are over or not?[/quote']

This happens all the time, have a look at the middle of December as well and see how many Prem players get sent off too be banned over Christmas