UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

I'm sorry but I don't know how you can say Serie A is a joy to watch' date=' it is all about defence and headers. It has a reputation for being a very boring league and slow pace. Just my opinion. ;)[/quote']

Dont go on reputations that is just others opinions and it dosnt mean they are right or even this one of mine im just going to give .:D

Cant go with its all about defence and headers ,as for slow then in most cases yes but thats not just down to the Italian clubs /players wanting it this way ,if youve never been out of England yet and been to the likes of Italy /Spain then you may not realise or take into account the different heat and humidity they have ,our climate and humidity is far cooler and one of the reasons we can play at a faster tempo.

Over there even if your playing a night match many games you cant play at our tempo,reason why they have many games at stops and starts need a breather now and then .

Nope while i may like the fast pace of Prem i think there are some great entertainment in the Serie A even though slower ,maybe because i also have a love of chess and can appreciate some of these games far better.:)

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread What is your problem you seem to be constantly throwing your weight around looking for arguments. Its boring. How has ANYTHING Jack said been arrogant?

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread +

hopefully the next round draw will be exiting i hope this will be the draw

liverpool - barcalona

baren munich -chelsea

MANCHESTER UNITED- villareal

arsenal - porto

at the moment no club would want to play manchester united and barcalona

and arsenal are the leats of everyones worries but if they have there top players back then they would be a threat

thanks;)

So your hoping to get what you consider the easiest :D

thought you wouldnt be scared of taking on all commers ,

Barca ,Man Utd in fact anyone will do me,not because i think we will beat you all but its because when you get to this stage there are no easy games so i dont think it matters so much who you get ,but im definately not running scared of anyone especialy seems its two legged affairs.

anyway seems both next two rounds get paired up hope the draw goes this way .

Man Utd v Chelsea.

Arsenal v Bayern Munich

Winners to play each other .

Liverpool v Porto

Barcelona v Villareal

Winners to play each other .

then a liverpool v Bayern final.;):D:)

The Germans can see of the English clubs on penalties ,and we 3 spanish teams can sort it out with each other and the Portugese

I don't know how you can appreciate slow pace football. I understand about the weather conditions and because it's always cold/raining in England the players need to run, but Serie A is a boring league full of grandpa's and unexciting football which is keeping you entertained by end-to-end football.

I would probably make Liverpool one of the favourites to win the competition as Rafa Benitez rarely gets its wrong in European competition. They might need a favourable tie with them having the 2nd leg being at home but no doubt they are one of the best equipped sides in the competition.

hopefully the next round draw will be exiting i hope this will be the draw

liverpool - barcalona

baren munich -chelsea

MANCHESTER UNITED- villareal

arsenal - porto

and arsenal are the leats of everyones worries but if they have there top players back then they would be a threat

thanks;)

Don't know why you would want Villarreal when United have failed to score against them in 4 games? :confused:

I reckon Villarreal can get to the semi's at least to be honest :)

And people said Ronaldo doesn't play well against the big sides? Less said about Ibra the better :P

What he said. Barcelona aren't high in defense. Puyol is pretty good yeah but Torres, Toni, and them can probably get past him. Man United are more better in defense and worse in attack. Liverpool are probably the most threating team at this point not just because I'm a Liverpool fan but because we beat Real Madrid 4nil and we are also going to beat Man United.

I don't know how you can appreciate slow pace football. I understand about the weather conditions and because it's always cold/raining in England the players need to run' date=' but Serie A is a boring league full of grandpa's and unexciting football which is keeping you entertained by end-to-end football.[/quote']

I appreciate all football and it comes around the globe in many aspects ,yes ours may be fast and deemed more exciting but that dosnt mean Serie a or LA liga is boring ,yes i prefer ours but there are some fantastic games everyweek in the others even though played most times at a slower pace .

But each to there own perspective if you only like fast action then you will only enjoy the Prem .:)

I rather watch a game where the is immense individual talent ACROSS the table, rather than a kick and run premier league game. Said that I think watching a top 4 prem game is as good as any La Liga game. But besides the top 4, it is immensely disappointing, tactically and skill wise.

I rather watch a game where the is immense individual talent ACROSS the table' date=' rather than a kick and run premier league game. Said that I think watching a top 4 prem game is as good as any La Liga game. But besides the top 4, it is immensely disappointing, tactically and skill wise.[/quote']

I think Martin O'Niel's Villa would have something to say about that... Everton (I hate to say it) are improving as well.

I think Martin O'Niel's Villa would have something to say about that... Everton (I hate to say it) are improving as well.

I think realmadrid has a point. Our top 4 are better than anything else in Europe and have consistently shown it over the last 3 or 4 years, but the midtable teams in Spain play nicer football and are simply better than the likes of Hull, Fulham & Blackburn....and thats why IMO La Liga is a better league overall....

I think realmadrid has a point. Our top 4 are better than anything else in Europe and have consistently shown it over the last 3 or 4 years' date=' but the midtable teams in Spain play nicer football and are simply better than the likes of Hull, Fulham & Blackburn....and thats why IMO La Liga is a better league overall....[/quote']

Some strange midtable teams there. :o:P

villa are a team full of runners were as in la liga they try and play football id recommend if you can to watch atletico madrid vs real madrid and real madrid vs villareal and tell me that those games arent better than premier league games.

Unfortuantely other european teams cant work out the psyhical prowess the english teams have and the tempo but techincially la liga is much better and would rather watch that tbh.

For those 3 read Wigan' date=' Bolton & Sunderland. This is my point about the EPL. The top 4 are very good, the next 3 or 4 are ok, but 8th-18th are all as bad as each other, hence the stupidly close relegation battle between about half the league :o[/quote']

I agree with you there, Spain have maybe 5-7 CL quality teams, England have 4.

For those 3 read Wigan' date=' Bolton & Sunderland. This is my point about the EPL. The top 4 are very good, the next 3 or 4 are ok, but 8th-18th are all as bad as each other, hence the stupidly close relegation battle between about half the league :o[/quote']

So, outside the top 4 of Spain the teams are:

Valencia

Sevilla

Racing Santander

Mallorca

Almeria

Deportivo

Bilbao

Real Betis

Getafe

Valladolid

Recreativo Huelva

Osasuna

Numancia

Malaga

Sporting Gjion

In the Premier League youve got:

Aston Villa

Everton

Blackburn

Hull

Stoke

West Brom

Spurs

Man City

Wigan

West Ham

Pompey

Fulham

Bolton

Newcastle

Boro

Sunderland

You can make your mind up.. But imo most of the English teams would beat the Spanish ones.. Although i do agree that the quality in La Liga is better spreaded out than the EPL.

So' date=' outside the top 4 of Spain the teams are:

Valencia

Sevilla

Racing Santander

Mallorca

Almeria

Deportivo

Bilbao

Real Betis

Getafe

Valladolid

Recreativo Huelva

Osasuna

Numancia

Malaga

Sporting Gjion

In the Premier League youve got:

Aston Villa

Everton

Blackburn

Hull

Stoke

West Brom

Spurs

Man City

Wigan

West Ham

Pompey

Fulham

Bolton

Newcastle

Boro

Sunderland

You can make your mind up.. But imo most of the English teams would beat the Spanish ones.. Although i do agree that the quality in La Liga is better spreaded out than the EPL.

All the Red Teams are the ones who are poor class, IMO, in the sense of individual quality. Yes I am not basing this on results or how well they are doing this year, because Newcastle is good, but they are performing poorly. Boro on the other hand, is greatly lacking in class. The teams in red from each respective league are basically of the same quality.

All the Red Teams are the ones who are poor class' date=' IMO, in the sense of individual quality. Yes I am not basing this on results or how well they are doing this year, because Newcastle is good, but they are performing poorly. Boro on the other hand, is greatly lacking in class. The teams in red from each respective league are basically of the same quality.[/quote']

Oh no you didn't just put Sunderland with those others teams.. swap Sunderland there with Pompey. :)

I bet it will be another all english final' date=' this time i think it will be Manchester United vs Liverpool.[/quote']

I really hope that isn't the case. Another glorified FA Cup final would be awful, in my opinion. If United are going to get there, I'd much rather play someone like Barca or Bayern than a team we play multiple times each season anyway. I want a minimum of 2 English teams out in the next round, even if one of those has to be United... 3 out would be even better.

Barca v Bayern is actually my ideal final this year. I don't even care if United don't win it. I just want something not even remotely English for a change. England doesn't need 3 domestic cups.

In future, I hope UEFA scrap the rule that prevents 2 English teams being drawn against each other in the last 16... and also maybe reduce the number of teams in the CL from England, Spain and Italy to just 3.

:eek::D:)

In future' date=' I hope UEFA scrap the rule that prevents 2 English teams being drawn against each other in the last 16... and also maybe reduce the number of teams in the CL from England, Spain and Italy to just 3.[/quote']

Yep but its not just to stop two English teams hence the ammount of Italy /Spanish teams that were in it last round as well .

Also one of the reasons why the limit was increased at the time for these countries were to stop them making their own European Super league up while G-14 was still formed .

Im same as you though i dont think anyone should be seperated in a draw ,in fact i think instead of seperating the clubs from the same countries from playing each other when you get to the group stage after the qualifying stages you could seed them who have got to this stage in order of European ranking for that club into the groups itself,just like they do now when drawing World cup /European championship groups out of pot .

So take UEFA rankings now ,

Liverpool ,Barca ,Chelsea ,AC Milan are top 4 so they would be in seperate 4groups .

The next 4 highest that got through are ,Arsenal,Man Utd ,Bayern Munich and Lyon ,so these get drawn into the groups without any of same teams countries being seperated ,so yes if draw is favourable with English clubs they all still can finish apart .

Both English clubs in the 5-8 seedings could finish up with the group top seeds Barca or Milan or it could be 2 english sides meeting each other in both groups.

Then 9-12 gets drawn and 13-16.

Then like both international formats ,

Winners of group A will play runners up of group B and runners up of group A will play winners of group B etc .

Anyway its not going to happen just fantasising .:D;)

In fact the different Qualifying stages and groups are being done different .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League_2009-10

Top 3 english clubs will go straight into group stage the 4th will actually go straight into a new final play off round format after a differnt qualiyfing format which they wont now have to do .:)

Basically top 3 english clubs go straight into groups ,

4th place instead of qualifying matches go straight into a playoff round to get into group stage .

Will be two seperated play off rounds one for Champions and one for none champions .

5 clubs out of the 10 that goes straight into none champion play off round are,

4th placed English ,Italian ,Spanish with 3rd place German and French ,

the other 5 to join these have to play a non champions qualifying round .

Non-champions qualifying

The following teams are expected to compete in the third qualifying round for non-champions:

Dynamo Moscow

Runners-up of Liga I 2008-09

Runners-up of Portuguese Liga 2008-09

Runners-up of Eredivisie 2008-09

Runners-up of Scottish Premier League 2008-09

Runners-up of Süper Lig 2008-09

Runners-up of Ukrainian Premier League 2008-09

Runners-up of Belgian First Division 2008-09

Playoff Group Winners of Super League Greece 2008-09

Runners-up of Gambrinus liga 2008-09

The 5 winners of whoever are drawn make up the total 10 for non champions Play off round .

Then the 5 winners of this and the five winners of the Champions play off round join the 22 who went straight into group stage making it 32 clubs .

Then,

The total of 32 teams will be drawn into 8 groups of 4. Each team will play the others in its group twice. The top 2 in each group will proceed to the knockout stages, and the 3rd placed teams will enter the UEFA Europa League Round of 32

Simplicity at its best and so easy to understand and follow.;):D:)

• 4 weeks later...

sorry to break an interesting discussion but....

Man U 2-2 Porto (:D) (Rodriguez 4', Rooney 14', Tevez 85', Mariano 89')

Villareal 1-1 Arsenal (Senna 10', Adebayor 65')

Man u's defense was shabby, but porto's was worse- rooneys goal was thanks to a retarded backpass by bruno alves.

senna, as always, delivered a rocket. ade's goal was absolute class. Bicycle!