UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Better team won.. cant really argue with that.

Nice touch letting Abidal lift the trophy aswell :)

Huh. What was so special about that? Why wouldn't he have lifted it, didn't every other player in Barca's winning squad lift it as well?

Huh. What was so special about that? Why wouldn't he have lifted it' date=' didn't every other player in Barca's winning squad lift it as well?[/quote']

Letting a guy whose career, and possibly life, was in danger just a matter of weeks ago be the first to lift the trophy was a fine gesture on Barca's part.

Shame about their players' conduct, diving, racist slurs and ref-mobbing throughout the rest of the tournament.

Letting a guy whose career' date=' and possibly [i']life[/i], was in danger just a matter of weeks ago be the first to lift the trophy was a fine gesture on Barca's part.

I reckon Didi was being a bit sarcastic there...

I reckon Didi was being a bit sarcastic there...

Actually, I wanted to vent my opinion about Barca's distasteful showing on the pitch in the CL this season - if you were to note that I didn't go to any effort to challenge or correct him you may have picked up on it. ;)

Don't want to be ultra-negative about Barca when they've just (deservedly) won the CL.

Actually' date=' I wanted to vent my opinion about Barca's distasteful showing on the pitch in the CL this season - if you were to note that I didn't go to any effort to challenge or correct him you may have picked up on it. ;)

Don't want to be ultra-negative about Barca when they've just (deservedly) won the CL.[/quote']

Fair enough then :D

Well, as I expected, Barcelona cleaned up their act and did a very nice job. Good football, tireless effort from both sides, and a fairly clean game - just what football should be.

As long as Barcelona stick to what they do best - playing good football - I won't have anything against them. However, the moment they go back to their idiotic performances, I will call them out on their behavior and hope everyone else does as well.

I think it's important that the fans do not let Barcelona be judged on a separate scale simply because they play good football (we play the best football so just deal with our playacting) but rather stand up and demand that they don't waste such talent with disgraceful behavior.

It worked this time - we were served with a great game of football. If our whining is the price to pay for the difference between Barca-Madrid game and Barca-ManU game, then that's what we'll do.

Alves' date=' Abidal, Mascherano, Villa, Pedro, Busquets all not from La Masia but still 5 of 11 is still outstanding[/quote']

Masch isn't in their first 11. I counted Puyol in as he usually plays and I talked about the first 11, not the 11 players who started tonight. I give you Pedro, because he only joined the club when 17 and was born and grown elsewhere, but Busquets was actually born in Barcelona and spent his youth in local youth teams until made it to Barca's youth academy (so he was not scouted or brought from other clubs). Thus 7 out of 11. On this level that is pretty amazing. I agree though, that even 5 out of 11 is outstanding on this level.

Letting a guy whose career' date=' and possibly [i']life[/i], was in danger just a matter of weeks ago be the first to lift the trophy was a fine gesture on Barca's part.

True. It is a serious matter, what happened and I shouldn't joke about it. I of course agree with you: It is amazing that after what Abidal has gone through this spring he was able play this final on top level, and it was very correct that it was he who lifted the trophy.

What a game from Barca. They should be in a league of their own. Guardiola is truly a genius, but Fergie's gameplan wasn't bad - up until the second half, that is. Messi's simplistic but masterful off-the-ball movement again succeeds in stumping United's defense. Makes you wonder what could possibly work against Messi. There seems to be no one capable of man-marking him, and today showed that a make-shift zonal defense is just no use. Only time can defeat such a spectacular player.

Barcelona were very good tonight; if a little conservative. But given that Manchester United did look to open them up at nearly every time they got near the box you can't blame them. I do think they got the rub of the green with some decisions but they won on merit tonight. Man Utd need a couple of midfielders and fast if they want to challenge Barcelona next season. I hear a certain team in Madrid have one or two spare?

Barcelona were very good tonight; if a little conservative. But given that Manchester United did look to open them up at nearly every time they got near the box you can't blame them. I do think they got the rub of the green with some decisions but they won on merit tonight. Man Utd need a couple of midfielders and fast if they want to challenge Barcelona next season. I hear a certain team in Madrid have one or two spare?

I wouldn't blame them for being conservative. If there's one thing that was particularly unappealing about Ferguson's tactics today, it was the eagerness to defend that he seemed to imbue his side with. I would rather say that Barca's seemingly conservative approach was more of an attempt to draw out the sort of pressure from an irritated United side that could open up space between the United midfield and defense. That gap was successfully created by Messi's ostensibly retrogressive movements, and exploited by some good runs from Villa, Alves, and of course Pedro.

Some of you lot on here are plain embaressing.

I dont know what it is jealousy, a lack of understanding but some of the guff on these pages are so untrue.

Quite simply as I have said for years now you are witnessing IMO the greatest team ever to have played the game. The brilliance of there play, the beauty is untrue. Football is a simple game get the ball, keep the ball and make the opposition pay. No team in history has ever done this as well as this Barcelona side does, it is a joy to behold.

The vision, touch, movement, Creativity is all different class. They made arguably the 2nd best club side in the world look like a pub side at times last night. This is the way football should be played, it is like football from the Gods. All you haters out there should be ashamed, you should just sit back and enjoy football when it is played as beautifully as this. This side is a phenomenon a one-off and we should all enjoy them while we can nothing lasts forever.

I am so glad they won, it helps to cement there place in history as footballing immortals IMO, hopefully (though I doubt it with some of the claptrap I hear on this thread) they will get the recognition that there truely mesmeric football and achievement deserve. To get to ultimate greatness you need to win the Champions League numerous times in a short period like the Milan,Ajax,dare I say Liverpool sides in years gone by. What sets this side apart is the way in which they do things, the way in which they play in a period where things are more concntrated on the physical side of a player this side demonstartes all that is good and right, a collection of some of the greatest technical football ever.

Messi,Xavi,Iniesta I dont think anybody has to explain but wow I said it years ago this has the potential to be the greatest ever trio in world football and maybe just maybe it is.

Best part of the evening for me apart from that was quite clearly the Mascherano interview, now I dont dent I hate United and it was funny, but it aint even the fact it was United what made it for me was seeing the Guy I most despise in football Gary Neville's ugly most punchable face in the world after his interview, the look on his face......priceless :P:p

Barcelona I salute you....IMO this side is the greatest ever....Thank You for providing me with the greatest football I have ever been priviledged to watch and long may it continue for years to come.

Well done Barca, much deserved. Nice touch with Abidal :).

The ref actually I thought had a good game, Barca didn't dive to much and I was surprised.

But much deserved beaten by the best in the world by a long stretch.

Pep will be leaving Barca after next season :eek:

Masch isn't in their first 11. I counted Puyol in as he usually plays and I talked about the first 11' date=' not the 11 players who started tonight. I give you Pedro, because he only joined the club when 17 and was [i']born and grown elsewhere[/i], but Busquets was actually born in Barcelona and spent his youth in local youth teams until made it to Barca's youth academy (so he was not scouted or brought from other clubs). Thus 7 out of 11. On this level that is pretty amazing. I agree though, that even 5 out of 11 is outstanding on this level.

Pep was also part of La Masia

Ummm... I kind of have mixed feelings about last nights game - Barcelona were without question the far better side as they made Man Utd look very ordinary with their fantastic passing and movement. Xavi is such an important player for them he literally controlled the tempo of the game last night and it was fascinating to watch.

However, i do not agree with the way in which they got to the final, their cheating behaviour in the semis was a disgrace and imo it puts a big dampener on their win.

As for them being the best footballing side ever, i'm too young to remember the Ajax of the 70s, the Liverpool of the 80s and the Brazil of the 1950s but i can honestly say that when they play fairly they are the best footballing side i have witnessed so far in my life.

However' date=' i do not agree with the way in which they got to the final, their cheating behaviour in the semis was a disgrace and imo it puts a big dampener on their win.[/quote']

Not really, all teams do it inc Nani and others for Man Utd, thats just the only negative thing people can find against Barca so they use it more than they would against other sides.

Not really' date=' all teams do it inc Nani and others for Man Utd, thats just the only negative thing people can find against Barca so they use it more than they would against other sides.[/quote']

I don't think people use it more against Barca because of who they are, personally it wouldn't of mattered if it was Barcelona or some other team who deployed those tactics in the semi-final, i would still see it as a disgrace.

Yes i agree that it probably is their only negative, but its a big one and i for one lost a lot of respect for them after that game. I have never seen Man Utd cheat their way to a final and thats exactly what Barcelona did.

I don't think people use it more against Barca because of who they are' date=' personally it wouldn't of mattered if it was Barcelona or some other team who deployed those tactics in the semi-final, i would still see it as a disgrace.

Yes i agree that it probably is their only negative, but its a big one and i for one lost a lot of respect for them after that game. I have never seen Man Utd cheat their way to a final and thats exactly what Barcelona did.[/quote']

Even though they do it in the prem every year

I don't think people use it more against Barca because of who they are' date=' personally it wouldn't of mattered if it was Barcelona or some other team who deployed those tactics in the semi-final, i would still see it as a disgrace.

Yes i agree that it probably is their only negative, but its a big one and i for one lost a lot of respect for them after that game. I have never seen Man Utd cheat their way to a final and thats exactly what Barcelona did.[/quote']

Complete and utter tripe

Not really' date=' all teams do it inc Nani and others for Man Utd, thats just the only negative thing people can find against Barca so they use it more than they would against other sides.[/quote']
Even though they do it in the prem every year
Complete and utter tripe

I tried to resist myself, given Barcelona's beautiful display yesterday.

But this is absolutely ridiculous, guys slagging on Jozua for speaking the truth.

Barcelona playacts and dives more than any other team in the world. Period.

I tried to resist myself' date=' given Barcelona's beautiful display yesterday.

But this is absolutely ridiculous, guys slagging on Jozua for speaking the truth.

Barcelona playacts and dives more than any other team in the world. Period.[/quote']

I tried to resist as well but I cant help it.....

Join the long list of people who talk tripe.

Simply Barcelona won because they are the best team,

I tried to resist as well but I cant help it.....

Join the long list of people who talk tripe.

Simply Barcelona won because they are the best team' date='[/quote']

Yes they did and yes they are and all credit to them for that.

But that's doesn't mean I'm gonna sit here and not speak the truth - or more importantly, sit here and let people gang up on a person speaking the truth.

Given their display yesterday and the one they gave against Madrid, which one would you watch? If you prefer the Man United match, you should join us in holding Barcelona accountable.

After their moronic display against Madrid, they sure cleaned up their act - in no small part because of the criticism directed at them.

Yes they did and yes they are and all credit to them for that.

But that's doesn't mean I'm gonna sit here and not speak the truth - or more importantly' date=' sit here and let people gang up on a person speaking the truth.

Given their display yesterday and the one they gave against Madrid, which one would you watch? If you prefer the Man United match, you should join us in holding Barcelona accountable.

After their moronic display against Madrid, they sure cleaned up their act - in no small part because of criticism directed at them.[/quote']

Comparing the biggest Darby and biggest game in the world of course there going to do anything to win. But the fact is most team's cheat and man u lead the list there