UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread What is your problem you seem to be constantly throwing your weight around looking for arguments. Its boring. How has ANYTHING Jack said been arrogant?

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread +

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Just seen Xavi winning the Barcelona penalty' date=' that is not a penalty in a million years
:rolleyes:

Aquilani should of been sent off, he was the last man, so :confused:[/center']

Yeh first thought was Xavi went down too easily but its one of those that are either given or they arent. Aquilani had his hands all over Xavi while he was advancing and its always a risk cause players can go down easily when they feel contact. As for the red card not being given, we've seen that many times before.

On the other hand, Messi's pass for the winning goal was absolutely quality. It never gets boring, the things Messi does. Cut out about 4 Milan players with one pass and it was an excellent finish by Xavi.

That was a brilliant goal from KPB:cool:

Seconded.

Messi pass was great, but KPB goal was the highlight of the match. The way he took the skill whilst the ball was in the air, his finish was perfect aswell - priceless.

and his celebration adds the icing on the cake :D

• 2 weeks later...

Few notes:

1. Russian and Ukrainian teams that might have profited in the beginning from being in a more developed phase, but now the Russians at least have already turned in the "decline". They have come to the end of their season, no doubt are bit more tired, but more essentially: they have already started their holidays. I mean, their season continues, when, next February? or March?

2. More about Russians: Zenit tonight plays has been without the best scorer Kerzhakov since October and will remain so even if they advance. Note that without him they have found it extremely difficult to score goals, in the last match against APOEL his replacement Bukharov had 10 shots, 3 against goal, 0 goals. We can only speculate, but quite probably Zenit would have smashed APOEL with Kerzhakov. Anyway, more present: expect for a low scoring game at Porto. Zenit goes to look for counter attacks and really lacks that attacking threat. If their defence keeps together, it may be hard to break through for Porto. Expect shots from long distance for Porto, counter attacks for Zenit, not much goals.

3. A high scoring game in Dortmund? Dortmund needs to win by three and they lack half their defence, and if Olympiacos wins, Marseille needs a win too. I personally already put my bet on 4 or more goals.

4. I'm honestly surprised to see so many teams playing their youth ranks in this round. Real has the bench to do it without precisely playing youngsters and Barça is explained by the clasico awaiting, but the baby gunners again? I expected Arsenal to try and win some confidence, in my opinion they are not in a position to go and play B-team. Note, right now my point 3 is going well, already 2 goals there. Olympiacos is killing the baby gunners. If this remains, Olympiacos goes to knock out rounds. Only if Marseille can turn 0-2 defeat to a victory will Olympiacos not go through. Quite a surprise.

5. Reading the pre match for Olympiacos-Arsenal I noted once again mention about Fetfatzidis' amazing goal against Marseille last round - without a note that it was an offside. This reminds me of one thing: last round, once again, proved the point I earlier made about how the French do not blame the lack of success on bad refereeing in the measure that many others do. Again we saw United fans screaming about Benfica players diving. Ok. Meanwhile, both Lyon and Marseille got their knock out places robbed by the ref: at Marseille, Olympiacos got an offside goal allowed while a free kick was called for a handball in Olympiacos penalty area; Lyon, on the other hand, had an absolutely valid penalty in the end of the match against Ajax not called. All the situations left nothing to be doubted, they were absolutely clear. Now, was there great moaning about this in the French press? No. There was moaning about Marseille's bad game mostly. In fact, even Deschamps, who almost got fired for this and for whom this can still cost his job, didn't blame it on the ref. In Lyon I think there were some who mentioned it after the match, but again no press screaming for a scandal.

6. Right now Genk leads against Leverkusen. Do not take it as Leverkusen wouldn't have anything to play for. With a victory they would win this group and avoid Barça and Real.

7. Tomorrow big matches in the gourp A. I don't think it will be easy for Napoli. It is a defensive counter attack team, but wounded Villarreal will probably adopt somewhat similar tactics and force Napoli to play in order to secure a result at least as good as the one that City will get. Without their home audience and opponent that tries to dominate the ball, Napoli may not be as efficient as we've seen them to be. I expect low scoring match, possibly a draw, internationally inexperienced Napoli may even lose against Villarreal. But I don't know if this can help City any more. Will Bayern play B squad as other teams that have already won their groups? I doubt it. I think they look at City as one of the big opponents that they want to battle seriously every time. They may want to use this match to build their confidence and rag that of City's in mud. Winning that £200M squad at Etihad would be great for them and they would have clearly the upper hand mentally when the teams meet next time meet. In fact, Bayern may look at City as one of their big future opponents and may like it better if City doesn't advance from the group this time. These may be very interesting matches.

8. Will Benzema help his former team go through? Real's bench may be hungry enough to eat Ajax tomorrow.

9. By smashing Galati, Benfica would be winners of their group regardless of Basel-United result. Will they line up the first squad or will we see baby Benfica as well? I doubt, for the aforementioned reason: if they lose, they will second their group in any case, if they draw, they again will be second if either United or Basel wins. They donät want to play Barcelona or Real, I assume.

10. Inter on its turn will probably play reserves, but I doubt that helps CSKA: 1. CSKA may already suffer from being at the end of their domestic season; 2. Lille has lately started to turn their domination into victories and I doubt Trabzon surviving that this time.

11. Scheduling a match against the probable winner of the group for the last round against may be a winning victory. For example: if BATE can beat the baby Barça tonight, Plzen needs a draw against much more experienced Milan side. Olympiacos comes in mind as another team that profits from this, and although it was probably not foreseeable that Arsenal has assured the group victory at this point, it was expectable that Dortmund and Marseille compete for same positions still in the last round.

Ok, these were mostly just points that came in mind when placing my bets for tonight. So far so good.

WOW talk about drama.. Marseille complete a fantastic comeback against Dortmund taking them through whilst Olympiakos go out even though they won against Arsenal.

Got to feel sorry for the greeks :o

To be honest, with 5th round offside goal and win over the baby gunners, Olympiakos would have been lucky to go through before Dortmund and Marseille and I kind of have to feel sorry for Dortmund that apparently suffered from their inexperience and despite playing quite fine. They dropped even from EL - or perhaps the team just isn't that good? What's with that Götze guy? Apparently not having his best form in the big matches, since he has not impressed in CL. I don't know, I think Dortmund must be quite good if it beats Bayern at their home. They'll come back better next season. Now the two shockers of CL so far: Shakhtar and Dortmund crashed out of all competitions. I somebody would have said before the season that neither Porto nor Shakhtar will go through from that relatively low quality looking group, I think nobody would have taken him seriously. But I have to remind you: I said this is the surprise group.

Ok, all the pity for Dortmund, that said: Valbuena!!! The man of the big matches, man of the big goals, god damn!!! Le petit velo did it once again. A legendary victory. I was already happy for having my rather risky bet of Dortmund and Marseille scoring combined 4+ goals and Porto drawing with Zenit right with combined multiplier of 11-something - in fact, Valbuena just killed my other bet which was Olympiakos going through, but how could I mind this when they come from 0-2 to win their most important game of season so far??? With victories over PSG and Dortmund Deschamps probably saved his job for some while too.

Few notes:

1. Russian and Ukrainian teams that might have profited in the beginning from being in a more developed phase' date=' but now the Russians at least have already turned in the "decline". They have come to the end of their season, no doubt are bit more tired, but more essentially: they have already started their holidays. I mean, their season continues, when, next February? or March?

2. More about Russians: Zenit tonight plays has been without the best scorer Kerzhakov since October and will remain so even if they advance. Note that without him they have found it extremely difficult to score goals, in the last match against APOEL his replacement Bukharov had 10 shots, 3 against goal, 0 goals. We can only speculate, but quite probably Zenit would have smashed APOEL with Kerzhakov. Anyway, more present: expect for a low scoring game at Porto. Zenit goes to look for counter attacks and really lacks that attacking threat. If their defence keeps together, it may be hard to break through for Porto. Expect shots from long distance for Porto, counter attacks for Zenit, not much goals.

3. A high scoring game in Dortmund? Dortmund needs to win by three and they lack half their defence, and if Olympiacos wins, Marseille needs a win too. I personally already put my bet on 4 or more goals.

4. I'm honestly surprised to see so many teams playing their youth ranks in this round. Real has the bench to do it without precisely playing youngsters and Barça is explained by the clasico awaiting, but the baby gunners again? I expected Arsenal to try and win some confidence, in my opinion they are not in a position to go and play B-team. Note, right now my point 3 is going well, already 2 goals there. Olympiacos is killing the baby gunners. If this remains, Olympiacos goes to knock out rounds. Only if Marseille can turn 0-2 defeat to a victory will Olympiacos not go through. Quite a surprise.

5. Reading the pre match for Olympiacos-Arsenal I noted once again mention about Fetfatzidis' amazing goal against Marseille last round - without a note that it was an offside. This reminds me of one thing: last round, once again, proved the point I earlier made about how the French do not blame the lack of success on bad refereeing in the measure that many others do. Again we saw United fans screaming about Benfica players diving. Ok. Meanwhile, both Lyon and Marseille got their knock out places robbed by the ref: at Marseille, Olympiacos got an offside goal allowed while a free kick was called for a handball in Olympiacos penalty area; Lyon, on the other hand, had an absolutely valid penalty in the end of the match against Ajax not called. All the situations left nothing to be doubted, they were absolutely clear. Now, was there great moaning about this in the French press? No. There was moaning about Marseille's bad game mostly. In fact, even Deschamps, who almost got fired for this and for whom this can still cost his job, didn't blame it on the ref. In Lyon I think there were some who mentioned it after the match, but again no press screaming for a scandal.

6. Right now Genk leads against Leverkusen. Do not take it as Leverkusen wouldn't have anything to play for. With a victory they would win this group and avoid Barça and Real.

7. Tomorrow big matches in the gourp A. I don't think it will be easy for Napoli. It is a defensive counter attack team, but wounded Villarreal will probably adopt somewhat similar tactics and force Napoli to play in order to secure a result at least as good as the one that City will get. Without their home audience and opponent that tries to dominate the ball, Napoli may not be as efficient as we've seen them to be. I expect low scoring match, possibly a draw, internationally inexperienced Napoli may even lose against Villarreal. But I don't know if this can help City any more. Will Bayern play B squad as other teams that have already won their groups? I doubt it. I think they look at City as one of the big opponents that they want to battle seriously every time. They may want to use this match to build their confidence and rag that of City's in mud. Winning that £200M squad at Etihad would be great for them and they would have clearly the upper hand mentally when the teams meet next time meet. In fact, Bayern may look at City as one of their big future opponents and may like it better if City doesn't advance from the group this time. These may be very interesting matches.

8. Will Benzema help his former team go through? Real's bench may be hungry enough to eat Ajax tomorrow.

9. By smashing Galati, Benfica would be winners of their group regardless of Basel-United result. Will they line up the first squad or will we see baby Benfica as well? I doubt, for the aforementioned reason: if they lose, they will second their group in any case, if they draw, they again will be second if either United or Basel wins. They donät want to play Barcelona or Real, I assume.

10. Inter on its turn will probably play reserves, but I doubt that helps CSKA: 1. CSKA may already suffer from being at the end of their domestic season; 2. Lille has lately started to turn their domination into victories and I doubt Trabzon surviving that this time.

11. Scheduling a match against the probable winner of the group for the last round against may be a winning victory. For example: if BATE can beat the baby Barça tonight, Plzen needs a draw against much more experienced Milan side. Olympiacos comes in mind as another team that profits from this, and although it was probably not foreseeable that Arsenal has assured the group victory at this point, it was expectable that Dortmund and Marseille compete for same positions still in the last round.

Ok, these were mostly just points that came in mind when placing my bets for tonight. So far so good.[/quote']

I'm not sure why you think arsenal shouldn't play there baby b team they have a lot of confidence from the league lately and vengur (not sure how you spell his name) is not going to wanna risk any of his starting 11 and bench players on a match that is completely pointless when they have already finished top of there group and let's face footballs all about bringing youth threw the ranks

I'm not sure why you think arsenal shouldn't play there baby b team they have a lot of confidence from the league lately and vengur (not sure how you spell his name) is not going to wanna risk any of his starting 11 and bench players on a match that is completely pointless when they have already finished top of there group and let's face footballs all about bringing youth threw the ranks

I basically thought that they see this as a big match that must be won. Apparently not.

I was likewise wrong about Bayern. City is having early Christmas: Schweinsteiger injured, Robben, Muller, Gomez and Kroos in flu, and eventually, if that wasn't enough, Ribery, Neuer and Lahm are rested. I suppose the "flu" should read "rested" as well. They have a match they don't need points from and suddenly half the team has a flu. I really didn't believe that Bayern would throw a B-side against City. Wow. Must feel just a bit humiliating for Citizens.