UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

IMO he should have been booked long before he was. If I were a fan I'd be making some noise in that situation too.

What before he has the chance to get the ball to take it? There needs to be some chance for the goal kick to be taken. I don't get why people think they should be taken within two seconds of the ball going out of play. Realistically it takes around ten seconds to get the ball, place it, go back and kick it. There needs to be some common sense in refereeing nowadays that seems to have gone missing.

Granted if someone takes the monkey then book them but they need a chance to take it. You gonna send a keeper off for taking 6 seconds to take a goal kick twice in a game? That'd be absurd

What before he has the chance to get the ball to take it? There needs to be some chance for the goal kick to be taken. I don't get why people think they should be taken within two seconds of the ball going out of play. Realistically it takes around ten seconds to get the ball' date=' place it, go back and kick it. There needs to be some common sense in refereeing nowadays that seems to have gone missing.

Granted if someone takes the monkey then book them but they need a chance to take it. You gonna send a keeper off for taking 6 seconds to take a goal kick twice in a game? That'd be absurd[/quote']

Did you see the ball boys tonight? They were chucking new balls onto the pitch as soon as one went out of play. Cech was milking the goal kicks as much as he could and he was rightly booked.

Barca did have a plan B tonight but they just didn't realise it. So many times they'd pass it around the edge of the Chelsea box (which Chelsea were happy for them to do) and as soon as a ball came into the danger area it was cleared. For the second goal though Sanchez ran at the defence who backed off; he squared it to Messi and the defence backed off further allowing him to slot a ball through to Iniesta who had a simple finish (which he took excellently). If Barca had played a little deeper and played through balls to the likes of Sanchez, Messi, Cuenca, Tello and Alves into space with fewer defenders to deal with, they'd have had many more clear cut chances.

Still think Barca miss Villa or some kind of figurehead who'll stay up top and can finish a chance if he gets it. Sanchez is decent there but his pace and trickery is best utilised out wide cutting in IMO.

Did you see the ball boys tonight? They were chucking new balls onto the pitch as soon as one went out of play. Cech was milking the goal kicks as much as he could and he was rightly booked.

Barca did have a plan B tonight but they just didn't realise it. So many times they'd pass it around the edge of the Chelsea box (which Chelsea were happy for them to do) and as soon as a ball came into the danger area it was cleared. For the second goal though Sanchez ran at the defence who backed off; he squared it to Messi and the defence backed off further allowing him to slot a ball through to Iniesta who had a simple finish (which he took excellently). If Barca had played a little deeper and played through balls to the likes of Sanchez' date=' Messi, Cuenca, Tello and Alves into space with fewer defenders to deal with, they'd have had many more clear cut chances.

Still think Barca miss Villa or some kind of figurehead who'll stay up top and can finish a chance if he gets it. Sanchez is decent there but his pace and trickery is best utilised out wide cutting in IMO.[/quote']

Yeah the ball boys were quick but this is an example of something across football. The same thing happened in the United game at the weekend when Howard had the ball. Fans expected him to get rid of it within one second. Opposition goalkeepers can't be expected to take goal kicks within one second, although obviously there has to be a line.

I completely agree with you about the figurehead. They need someone as a focal point, I thought they had found it with Ibra but he turned out to think he was the club, which they couldn't be having. However looking around at the markets, I don't know if such a player would be available and fit right in that team.

Yeah the ball boys were quick but this is an example of something across football. The same thing happened in the United game at the weekend when Howard had the ball. Fans expected him to get rid of it within one second. Opposition goalkeepers can't be expected to take goal kicks within one second' date=' although obviously there has to be a line.

I completely agree with you about the figurehead. They need someone as a focal point, I thought they had found it with Ibra but he turned out to think he was the club, which they couldn't be having. However looking around at the markets, I don't know if such a player would be available and fit right in that team.[/quote']

Cech definitely crossed the line IMO and deserved his booking.

I personally think Villa's pretty decent. He can play on the left if needed and is very dangerous through the middle. Can't understand why Barca played it out to the wings so often tonight though. They had two 5 foot 9 strikers against a big guy like Ivanovic and the low crosses were getting cut out by the first Chelsea defender. It created one chance where Sanchez had a free header and was craning for it but should have at least got it on target.

Llorente maybe though he's mooted to be a Dzeko replacement at City...

Yeah the ball boys were quick but this is an example of something across football. The same thing happened in the United game at the weekend when Howard had the ball. Fans expected him to get rid of it within one second. Opposition goalkeepers can't be expected to take goal kicks within one second' date=' although obviously there has to be a line.

I completely agree with you about the figurehead. They need someone as a focal point, I thought they had found it with Ibra but he turned out to think he was the club, which they couldn't be having. However looking around at the markets, I don't know if such a player would be available and fit right in that team.[/quote']

This was not about him not taking it in two seconds. I counted the seconds quite a few times and he often took 10-12 seconds to take the goal kick. Without being warned. hat's more than just milking the goal kick, that is genuine time wasting. I think he should have got the first warning very early on in the first half, when he first did that, after that we would perhaps not have seen any more of that.

That said, I think it had a rather small effect to the result. As the second half continued, Barcelona didn't look like they were going to score, no matter how long the match would have gone on. They somehow lost all their sharpness quite early to second half, still early on to it they created some good attacks, but later they just passed the ball at the 25 metres watching Chelsea box move in front of them.

Robben, another horrendous miss! He had one of those against Dortmund.

Am i the only one sick of people talking about if a handball was deliberate or not? Surely if a players hand stops the ball going somewhere then its handball, it shouldn't matter if its deliberate or not...

Great penalty from Cris.