UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Apparently UEFA are set to announce that from the 2015-16 season' date=' Europa League winners will automatically qualify for the Champions League. What a ridiculous idea.[/quote']

Brilliant. The English teams who have clearly thought themselves too good for this competition (Liverpoool, Spurs) might actually try and win it. Then they can at least get beaten fair and square :D.

Aso why not?

Well I feel that's a ridiculous idea. Champions league qualification should only be obtained by finishing in the CL spots in their domestic league.

@Gizb - I couldn't agree more.

Do you think Chelsea should have been allowed in to defend their title?

I think that winning the Europa has a lot more kudos than coming 4th in a domestic league.

Apparently UEFA are set to announce that from the 2015-16 season' date=' Europa League winners will automatically qualify for the Champions League. What a ridiculous idea.[/quote']

Honestly that is a fantastic idea, gives teams a bigger incentive to win the Europa League making the Europa League much more competitive than it is now.

Ridiculous are the 3rd placed in CL group stages moving into Europa League..

I agree BUT, if a team is knocked out from chmapions league and wins the uefa cup they should only be allowd enter champions league if they have qualified from their domestic league standing..

So as an example if chelsea finsihed 4/5th (4th giving them qualification round status in next season champs league) in the premier league and won uefa they won't qualify but if a team that had not played in the champions league that same year and won the uefa then they would qualify.

Often teams don't take the Europa League seriously, but instead focus on the league with as goal playing Champions League next season. I know this is common in Serie A. Having the winner of the Europa League play Champions League next season would make winning it at least as much worth as finishing 2nd or 3th in the league (which is no prize anyway, but is more important now still than winning the Europa League because of the importance playing the Champions League have got).

Since there is an Europa League, it would be nice that it gets more important to win than finishing 2nd or 3th (or 4th) in the league.

I think that winning the Europa has a lot more kudos than coming 4th in a domestic league.

It would be nice if it's seen this way. This change could realize this. Hard to get more kudos with a lesser reward.

Imagine Wigan or Swansea won the Europa an ended up in the champions league.. (Well Wigan may reject Europa?) Swansea have been on some rollercoaster and if they won the Europa league and ended up in champions league that would be amazing!

Imagine Wigan or Swansea won the Europa an ended up in the champions league.. (Well Wigan may reject Europa?) Swansea have been on some rollercoaster and if they won the Europa league and ended up in champions league that would be amazing!

It's a great reward for a great preformance. Winning the Europa League is an achievement that will only become a greater (and more difficult) one if playing the Champions League is part of the reward. It's not like it's easy to do so.

As the Europa League champions' date=' you deserve [b']Champions [/b]League.

Far from a ridiculous idea, aint a new one either.

Have said consistantly for a long time that the winners of the Europa should automatically qualify for the Champions League.

The Europa League is dying on it's proverbial and this will give it the platform to have a bit more credability whilst providing major incentive for teams to try and take the competition more seriously.

The disparity between competing in the Europa and Champions League is WAYYYYY to much and has to be addressed. All it will do is lead to a stage where only the same 3 or 4 clubs can win a League (and even that may be being generous in some nations). because of the financial disparity in earnings.

It is a good start but IMO they need to address the disparity in earnings between the two, no doubt Champions lague is the pinnacle and the financial rewards should reflect that but the current disparity between the teo is absolutely ludicrous.

It is a good start but IMO they need to address the disparity in earnings between the two' date=' no doubt Champions lague is the pinnacle and the financial rewards should reflect that but the current disparity between the teo is absolutely ludicrous.[/quote']

Completely agree with you however especially the quoted part is important to me. This "new" idea with letting the winner participate in the CL won't help that much IMO. It's far more important that participating in the Europa League should be rewarded financially in early rounds (e.g. right after the group stage already). However whilst you already are able to earn huge amounts in the CL group stage, the EL probably only is really profitable when a team reaches the quarter or semifinal.

The problem though is that the TV channels naturally pay way more for the "Champions" football. I also rather like to watch a match with top teams like Real, Bayern, ManUtd, Barcelona or Dortmund playing instead a match between Rapid Vienna and Slavia Prague (with no disrespect to these two teams - I could have chosen many other teams).

So IMO a big problem of the EL is that there are too many teams in there - respectively too many uninteresting teams. This season we had 12 groups with 4 teams each in the group stage. That's way too much. 32 teams like in the CL would be enough. However another simply reducing the amount of teams is problematic too, as most probably the small teams would get punished that way - meaning those teams that actually take the EL seriously.

Another problem is the fact that the 3rd placed teams of the CL group stage are able to compete in the EL afterwards. For sure, that way we see more interesting teams in the EL but it also shows clearly that the EL is just a second-class competition.

As you probably noticed I see lots of problems without offering solutions. However if it would be that easy, UEFA would probably already have changed this.

--------------------

But enough Off Topic:

Now I'm looking forward for Saturday's match. Surprisingly I don't have a favourite in this match. Earlier I thought that I surely would support Dortmund (and I won't deny that I would smirk a bit if they actually win and Bayern will lose their 3rd final in 4 years). On the other hand though I'd grant it Bayern if they finally win it - especially after Dortmund not managing to banish Hoffenheim directly in the second league.

As the Europa League champions' date=' you deserve [b']Champions [/b]League.

Technically there's no such thing as champions of a tournament. There are only winners. You're only known as Champions if you win a domestic league.

Well' date=' that's at least one more true [b']champion[/b] in the Champions League instead of yet another 2nd, 3rd or 4th placed team... I like that idea.

That's not the case though. Chelsea went out in the CL group stage and due to a ridiculous rule are allowed to play in the EL. They are nowhere near being true champions.

Abandon this rule with the 3rd placed team in CL going to EL and it's fine.

I also welcome the UEFA decision.

Technically there's no such thing as champions of a tournament. There are only winners. You're only known as Champions if you win a domestic league.

I think your view on the meaning of the word champion or champions is not accurate. Take a look in the dictionary.

I think your view on the meaning of the word champion or champions is not accurate. Take a look in the dictionary.

It is not about the meaning of the word, its about the technical terms when referring to whoever has won the league or tournaments.

It is not about the meaning of the word' date=' its about the technical terms when referring to whoever has won the league or tournaments.[/quote']

And the Europa League is a tournament. Not all champions have to be national, European or world champions, you can just be the champion of that tournament.

And the Europa League is a tournament. Not all champions have to be national' date=' European or world champions, you can just be the champion of that tournament.[/quote']

You clearly don't understand what I'm trying to tell you so just leave it pal... :rolleyes:

VFL Wolfsburg won the women's champions league last night after defeating Olympique Lyon 1-0 at Stamford Bridge!

A german domination in team sports .... just like it was a few years back with Spain teams. The only thing that i am curious is who is the german equivalent of Eufemiano Fuentes(google it) ?

So' date=' this will formally applied next season?

Means UEL's winner of 2014 final get UCL spot in 2014/15?[/quote']

from what i know is applied from season 2015/2016

Seen the story on BBC about the Europa League winners getting entry to the Champions League a season after. Surely this idea is flawed (as I will explain)?

For a start, the majority of Europa League and UEFA Cup winners qualify from their domestic league for the Champions League the next season anyway, such as Chelsea this season. What happens then, because even the runner up seems to qualify too for the Champions League via their domestic league?

Secondly, teams are constantly dropping out of the Champions League into the Europa League, meaning that teams that always reguarly qualify for the Champions League every season will nearly always get to the latter stages of the Europa League, perhaps even win it, as proven this campaign.

In short, yes teams will start taking the competition a bit more seriosuly, but it won't work, due to the above two factors. It would only really work if teams like Swansea go and win it.