UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

It was a pen. He went down to make sure he gets the decision from the ref. There's nothing wrong with that. And don't you know Ronaldo wastes time with doing stepovers? Its completely his style. It wasn't to annoy or embarrass any Atletico fans.

That was a clear dive.What are you on about?A butterfly once touched Ronaldo,he went down and it was a clear penalty in Ghora's eyes.

EDIT: He went down to get the decision from the referee?Oh really?You are a genius pal!

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread What is your problem you seem to be constantly throwing your weight around looking for arguments. Its boring. How has ANYTHING Jack said been arrogant?

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread +

That was a clear dive.What are you on about?A butterfly once touched Ronaldo' date='he went down and it was a clear penalty in Ghora's eyes.

EDIT: He went down to get the decision from the referee?Oh really?You are a genius pal![/quote']

It was a clip and a clean penalty. You must get your eyes checked mate.

Of course when you know you've been clipped you can always go down. Might not be the most ideal thing to do but certainly a fair one.

It was a clip and a clean penalty. You must get your eyes checked mate.

Of course when you know you've been clipped you can always go down. Might not be the most ideal thing to do but certainly a fair one.

Totally agree with you here, he was clipped and it was a pen, minimal contact but it was contact and a pen in my eyes!

Totally agree with you here' date=' he was clipped and it was a pen, minimal contact but it was contact and a pen in my eyes![/quote']

Commentators and every friend I discussed the match with had agreed that it was a penalty. I'm just surprised Raz thought otherwise.

Or maybe not. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Let's forget about the World Cup for a few minutes as it's the return of the Champions League. The 1st round and 2nd round draw was meant to start a few minutes ago, so I don't know what's taking long with UEFA.

Anyway, my team Malmö will enter the 2nd round. This time round, we're not seeded as the other teams have high co-efficient scores than us. Here's our list of possible opponents:

Celtic FC (SCO)

AC Sparta Praha (CZE)

FK Partizan (SRB)

Debreceni VSC (***)

ŠK Slovan Bratislava (SVK)

FK Ventspils (LVA)

If you want to watch the draw, click the link below:

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2015/draws/index.html

Edit: Phew, we've got the easiest team in the draw (Ventspils). Also, why is the abbreviation of Hungry censored for?

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. :o

For those who are interested, here's the full draw:

First round -

FC Santa Coloma v Banants

Lincoln Red Imps v HB

La Fiorita v Levadia Tallinn

Second round -

BATE Borisov v Skënderbeu Korçë

Maccabi Tel Aviv v Winners of match 1

Dinamo Tbilisi v Aktobe

Zrinjski Mostar v Slovenia Maribor

Sheriff Tiraspol v Sutjeska Nikšić

Sparta Prague v Winners of match 3

Malmö FF v Ventspils

Slovan Bratislava v The New Saints

Celtic v KR

Cliftonville v Debrecen

Partizan v Winners of match 2

Legia Warsaw v St Patrick's Athletic

Rabotnički v HJK

Dinamo Zagreb v Žalgiris Vilnius

Ludogorets Razgrad v F91 Dudelange

Valletta v Qarabağ

Strømsgodset v Steaua București

Tie of the round has to be Strømsgodset v Steaua București

Well our chances of qualifying for the group stages (as well as winning the league) have hit a big blow. Our worst fears have been confirmed when it was announced that our captain, our best player Guillermo Molins has torn his ACL and he's also damaged his meniscus against Partizan Belgrade in a friendly game. This is the same injury he suffered during his time with Anderlecht three years ago, although it was his other knee.

I watched the game and when he was on the ground holding his knee and shaking his head, my heart was in my mouth. You could see the anguish on the other players faces on the TV screen when he was injured. Markus Rosenberg was holding his hips and looking down on the pitch in disbelief, whilst Robin Olsen rushed from his goalposts and once he was near Molins, he was holding his head and looking up to the heavens. Even our manager was on the pitch by Molins' side liaising with the medical team and even he looked distraught as well.

Molins is much more than our star player. He's a real leader with the true warrior spirit. He's carries a big influence on and off the pitch. The player's love him and so do the fans. He's irreplaceable, no player can match the influence Molins has. This sentiment was echoed by the local journalists and an ex-player of ours. The fact that his injury was announced in a press conference with himself, the club doctor and the manager present shows how much of a big deal this is.

It was nice to see Molins not so distraught about his injury. He's confident that we'll win the league and he's confident that he'll come back much more stronger by saying I'll score even more goals next season. I also loved what he said that his knee are unfortunately not as strong as his head. This just shows that his mind is unbreakable. Our manager, Åge Hareide said that the players were shocked when he went off against Partizan and likened this situation to an injured soldier, where it effects the rest of the troops and it results in more togetherness and they fight on. Hopefully the squad can rally on strong despite his absence. Also Hareide mentioned that he's never seen a player come back so strongly from an ACL injury and that says a lot about him mentality.

Get well soon Gishe, we'll all with you. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Since we've won the league title, I've been longing for the return of the Champions League. Now the day has come where we'll face Ventspils. Yay! :)

Despite the fact that we've lost a number of key players due to them being injured or sold, and the fact that we don't follow the international transfer window as our window opened yesterday (which genius at the SvFF thought of that idea? :rolleyes:), we've got an incredibly thin squad. But I think we'll still beat them, I'm very confident.

We were allowed to register one additional player yesterday but Hareide didn't want to reveal who it was as he wanted an element of surprise to the opposition. But the UEFA website revealed that player was Isaac Kiese Thelin. Not much of a surprise then is it. :o I was surprised that he didn't pick Konate or Tinnerholm as we lack depth in the full back department. The two first teamers are Ricardinho and Concha, then we have Wernersson from the U19's as a back-up and he hasn't even made his 1st team debut yet.

Anyway, this is the team I would pick:

Olsen

Concha - Hammar - Johansson - Ricardinho

Cibicki - Halsti - Nazari - Forsberg

Rosenberg - Kiese Thelin

Kiese Thelin is reported to be starting and I would start him as Eriksson has been rubbish of late. Helander picked up a knock in the last game, so he'll be on the bench.

I reckon Hareide will play the same apart from Cibicki who will be replaced by Rakip.

Prediction: 3-0 to Malmö. :)

Prediction: 3-0 to Malmö. :)

Well that turned out to be such an anticlimax.

It was a boring 0-0. An absolute woeful performance' date=' the first half nearly put me to sleep. Ventspils parked their bus really well but our passing in the final third was terrible, with Nazari being the main culprit. But the worst performer has to be Eriksson. He can't shoot, he can't pass, he can't do anything right. He had a great chance to score after a cut-back into the box and as per usual, he skies it. He does that every single time. :o

Anyway, it was the third round draw today and if we qualify, we'll most likely Sparta Prague, who got beat by fellow Swedish side Häcken in last years Europa League qualifiers. It's a decent draw, plus Prague will be a good trip. I just hope Stabæk will stop being idiots and let us have Adu before the 24th as we need him in the engine room.

The draw for those who are interested:

[center']Bs0fuQXCIAA_kUu.jpg[/center]

Won 1-0 at the end. A goal from Kiese Thelin in the 19th minute. Two goals in three games for someone who was deemed a terrible player by the fans of his previous club. We got mocked by the Peking fans for signing him, who's laughing now eh? :)

It wasn't a good game to watch, but we got the result we needed. We'll face Prague on Tuesday, think we can get a decent result. I just hope we manage to finalize the Adu signing before the squad registration deadline.

Starting XI against Prague:

Olsen

Concha - Hammar - Helander - Ricardinho

Tinnerholm - Adu - Halsti - Forsberg

Rosenberg - Kiese Thelin

Subs: Azinovic, Konate, Nazari, Kroon, Cibicki, Eriksson, Mehmeti.

Happy with the line-up. Will be interesting to see how Tinnerholm does as a right winger. We've got a very offensive bench which will be handy if things don't go to plan (hopefully it does go to plan).

Kick-off is in 40 mins for those who are interested in watching the game. I think we can get a decent result. :)

2-1 at half-time. Good game with both teams attacking.

Apart from Hammar falling asleep from the cross which led to the goal and Olsen's hash of the situation, we've done well. I've been quite surprised actually. Despite Olsen messing up for Prague's goal, he's done well by making two key saves.

Two away goals is important as well. Let's hope we can get another one or two. :)

2-1 at half-time. Good game with both teams attacking.

Apart from Hammar falling asleep from the cross which led to the goal and Olsen's hash of the situation' date=' we've done well. I've been quite surprised actually. Despite Olsen messing up for Prague's goal, he's done well by making two key saves.

Two away goals is important as well. Let's hope we can get another one or two. :)[/quote']

Great first half, hopefully they can add another in the second to top off a marvellous result.

1st half, we played well.

2nd half was a total collapse. The defense was non-existant.

It was evident that we stood off them and we allowed them to attack straight from the 2nd half. I was disappointed with Adu's performance after his awesome display against Kalmar. Hammar was poor.

4-2 isn't a particularly bad result. I know we lost but we only need to win 2-0 in the next leg which if we play well, we'll get the result we need to advance. We need to keep Lafata quiet though, he's incredibly sharp.