UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Celtics turn tommorow' date='clean sheet would be nice away from home then get them back and beat them.

Disgraceful as former winners and league winners that we have to play 3 qualifying rounds.

Whys it called the Champions League?[/quote']

you wouldnt have to play 3 qualifying rounds if Celtic (and Rangers back a bit) Actually performed in Europe :eek: COEFFICIENT BOMB..

Celtic in honestly are unlucky cause they have had hard groups (COeff once again) but have done very very well in them and have been unlucky not to advance and improve that entry level.

I am astonished that Lille's players who were involved in the World Cup are not fit to play the CL qualifiers! :eek: Mavuba and Origi only returned to the club this Monday and will probably not be ready even for the second leg, while Enyeama and Kalou came back just last Thursday, and are in the squad that travels to Zürich and thus could be fit for the second leg.

I know that Mavuba and Origi played the knockout rounds, and there's a good reason to ease the players back after World Cup and not tire them too much, but they still could just have cut the holidays short. Zenit, who have Hulk, Lombaerts, Witsel and Garay and Russia internationals, had most of the team back for the training camp and even Garay and Hulk who played all the way to the finals have been back for more than a week and are according to AVB ready for the qualifier at Cyprus tonight! Mavuba who played just 25 minutes in the whole World Cup should not be too tired to play the CL qualifiers. And he's the team captain!

These are definitive matches for the rest of the season. How can they come back so late that they're not ready for these matches? I couldn't. And how can the club shoot itself in the leg by allowing its players so long holidays? They, both the club and the players, risk ruining a huge part of their season by this. And huge moneys too, for that matter, because the qualification to CL is a big deal both sportively and financially.

Meanwhile, Grashopper already started their season, have played 2 rounds, and have to my understanding had whole squad back from holidays long since.

LOSC against Grashopper:

Starting XI: Elana - Beria, Kjaer, Basa, Souaré - Corchia, Balmont, Gueye, Delaplace - Rodelin, Mendes

Bench: Enyeama, Kalou, Soualiho, Soumaoro, Sidibé, Rozenhal, Roux

That is pretty far from what the first XI should be. My fudging god, why can't they take these matches seriously! I'm so disappointed. :(

LOSC against Grashopper:

Starting XI: Elana - Beria' date=' Kjaer, Basa, Souaré - Corchia, Balmont, Gueye, Delaplace - Rodelin, Mendes

Bench: Enyeama, Kalou, Soualiho, Soumaoro, Sidibé, Rozenhal, Roux

That is pretty far from what the first XI should be. My fudging god, why can't they take these matches seriously! I'm so disappointed. :([/quote']

no rony no show B)

heard on ssn origi only got 6 goals in 40 apps i know he's good though but disappointing record.:o

It's on premier sports you'll have to pay

think i have premier sports not sure i know i did have it not sure if it was a free trial period thing though. nah don't have it musta been a trial for the new channel.

no rony no show B)

heard on ssn origi only got 6 goals in 40 apps i know he's good though but disappointing record.:o

Just 12 starts and playing on flank, though. More accurate would be: 6 goals in 1446 minutes as a winger, for 17-18-year-old player (only two starts and less than 200 minutes after he turned 19 at the end of last season). And most of that (1285 minutes) under Girard's ultra-defensive tactics (Lille scored only 46 goals, just 9th most in Ligue 1, despite finishing 3rd, and had massive 9 1-0 wins in Ligue 1). Before last season he had had 10 appearances as a late sub, accumulating to less than two matches of time on field.

That said, he would not necessarily start over Mendes.

think i have premier sports not sure i know i did have it not sure if it was a free trial period thing though. nah don't have it musta been a trial for the new channel.

Ive just bought a two month subscription just to watch the match tonight... but Sociedad are on tomorrow so going to watch that aswell, feel sorry for Aberdeen, got a feeling theyre going to get hammered

Ive just bought a two month subscription just to watch the match tonight... but Sociedad are on tomorrow so going to watch that aswell' date=' feel sorry for Aberdeen, got a feeling theyre going to get hammered[/quote']

We shall see ;)

Celtic are lucky that it's not completely over' date=' awful performance. Even at 1-1, they looked poor defensively and if it wasn't from poor decision making in the final third and penalty taking from Legia it could have been double figures.[/quote']

Defence wise it was absolutely embarrassing , we always seen to have bright starts and then just fade off, first twenty minutes the passing and retaining possession was great , once ambrose was off we barely had a chance ,

4-2 isn't a particularly bad result. I know we lost but we only need to win 2-0 in the next leg which if we play well' date=' we'll get the result we need to advance. We need to keep Lafata quiet though, he's incredibly sharp.[/quote']

2-0. :D

Absolutely buzzing, everyone worked their socks off and played admirably, especially Rosenberg. Keep calm and give the ball to Rosenberg. B)

a1sPUfFiX1o

Celtic 1-0 down to Legia at half-time. That's the nail in the coffin.

Hahaha. Dinamo Zagreb got knocked out by Aalborg. :D

Celtic: get rid of this garbage scandinavian coach now ' date=' why they appointed him is beyond me well it's the cheap option, and they won't give him much if any money to spend so that's why.[/quote']

He's not garbage. He's done a remarkable job with Godset with a limited budget. Turning them from a team flirting with relegation to champions of Norway, by putting an emphasis on youth development and playing attacking football. Give him time, let him do his own things and eventually things will pay off. :)

Anyway the seeds for the play-off round.

Champions route:

Seeded teams

Red Bull Salzburg

Steaua București

APOEL

BATE Borisov

Ludogorets Razgrad

Unseeded teams:

Maribor

Legia Warsaw

Slovan Bratislava

Malmö FF

AaB

APOEL or BATE please. :)

League Route

Seeded teams:

Arsenal

Porto

Zenit Saint Petersburg

Bayer Leverkusen

Napoli

Unseeded teams:

Athletic Bilbao

Lille

Copenhagen

Standard Liège

Beşiktaş

Celtic could be handed UEFA Champions League play-off lifeline

Lucky, lucky Celtic. If the claim that Legia fielded an ineligible player turned out to be true, they'd be ruing missing those two penalties.

It wouldn't be first time Celtic have been reinstated into a European club competition. A similar incident occurred against Sion three years ago.