UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread What is your problem you seem to be constantly throwing your weight around looking for arguments. Its boring. How has ANYTHING Jack said been arrogant?

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread +

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Not at all. Because the competition's dull and because UEFA are corrupt and very anti-City' date=' in the eyes of many City fans. We had huge crowds well before the takeover.[/quote']

I'm sorry I find that a rather snobbish comment. Yes i agree i'd rather watch the premiership over the champions league, but there's a special magic with the CL.

Some of the biggest games in United's recent history have been the champions league ties. the buzz the excitement and the anticipation of performing at the highest club competition in europe and the best sides around? and that's dull?

but like i said before, city have been frankly pathetic in the competition over recent years (granted some tough group stage draws) and therefore the feelings the competition brings wouldn't be known to many city fans.

and also when your club managers lose their jobs over the competition as obviously if you invest money in to a product you expect results, (and you want to be seen to have turned bayern munich or barcelona over.) and those results haven't come

And what happens should City get a bigger ground? just close off a tier because your fans don't fancy it?

UEFA are indeed corrupt, but so is every bloody organisation in football, but its your own club who lose out on your fans not showing up, UEFA couldn't give a toss. I guess you feel their anti city through the FFP rulings etc, i think its a genius idea, but ultimately its a idea a decade and a half too late

so to conclude my mini essay, to bash the competition because your side never show up is a joke really.

Malmö v Olympiakos should be an interesting game considering what happened in the pre-match press conference. Hareide's comments on the strength of the opposition absolutely wound up Michel. :D It was actually quite fun to watch. Although it seemed quite desperate of Michel (as well as their captain Maniatis) to claim that they're an elite team because they beat Atletico in which they didn't play well. They're far from an elite team. Obviously Hareide doesn't mean these comments, it's all mind games. He's probably noticed something and he's looking to exploit it. And it looks like he has. ;)

It looks like we're gonna go for this. We believe that we can beat them. They don't have a good record away from home (5 wins in 15 years!) and we've got a good home record. We'll most likely ditch the 5-3-2 and play our normal system, the 4-4-2. And obviously Olympiakos will be motivated to make Hareide look like a fool (which won't happen), so it should be a good game. :)

EDIT: FIFA's weekly magazine did a feature on us on reaching the Champions League. It focuses on our philosophy on youth development. Despite a few inaccuracies in the article, it's got the gist of it and it's actually a good read.

http://www.fifa.com/mm//Document/AF-Magazine/FIFAWeekly/02/44/44/23/49_EN_Weekly_LowRes_49_en_Neutral.PDF

Pages 6 - 13.

Because the competition's dull

Spoken like a true football fan. The Champions League is the best competition on the planet. Problem you've got is you haven't had a real magic night. The loudest cheers I've roared were on CL nights. Shava against Barcelona, Campbell in the final of 06, Henry in Madrid etc. You being a City fan, this is not a dig, have not had those memories. Champions League is special.

Maybe when you've brought those memories, you might think differently....That was a dig.

Hey Michel' date=' Hareide has a message for you:

[img']http://gfx.nrk.no//98oGGg3mNufgP__9RNpYnQdWLEGW6qX4kUDAJK3BkTng[/img]

:D

What a performance though. I'm incredibly proud with the way we played with and without the ball. Could have been 5-0, we should have scored those three chances.

Never doubt Hareide. In Åge we trust! B)

First home win in teh champions league must feel nice.

What a performance though. I'm incredibly proud with the way we played with and without the ball. Could have been 5-0, we should have scored those three chances.

I'm very happy for you, mate! :D

Spoken like a true football fan. The Champions League is the best competition on the planet. Problem you've got is you haven't had a real magic night. The loudest cheers I've roared were on CL nights. Shava against Barcelona' date=' Campbell in the final of 06, Henry in Madrid etc. You being a City fan, this is not a dig, have not had those memories. Champions League is special.

Maybe when you've brought those memories, you might think differently....That was a dig.[/quote']

The knockout rounds are excellent (and City sold out very quickly for the Barca game last season). The group stages are mere money making exercises.

Congrats for the win mate, although that russian referee was a big joke, it has to be said though. Especially his decision to the penalty for Olympiacos when the scoreline was 1-0, *sigh*. Must be one of the worst decisions I've seen in UCL lol.

But anyway, i feel happy for my Sweden friends and as a fan of Panathinaikos I'm twice as happy with the result B).

Petition to allow Benfica to play with Portuguese referees' date=' looks like they can't win games without them.[/quote']

Yeah, its seemed to be a little bit chilly in Ukraine too. Well if Benfica was in a group with Bate Borisov (BIG LOL) and Atl. Bilbau (LOL) i think they would be probably laughing right now.

Well, at least Porto in a european competition now.

What a woeful performance by Liverpool tonight' date=' the £36 million pairing of Balotelli & Markovic were pretty much invisible, with home and away games against Real Madrid coming up it was not the result Liverpool needed.[/quote']

I'm happy! Thank god Basel is getting back on form in the case of underdog wins :P

About time. But a few questions off the top of my head.

which are the top 7 leagues? Eng, Esp, Ita, Ger, Fra, Por, Rus? Seriously Russia? CSKA? Ajax have a better chance.

How will the pot 2, 3, 4 be grouped? coefficients? or the runner ups in pot 2, then 3 is just a mixture?

Either way it will make pot 2 a very "good" one. Yes you might not be the champions of your league but surely you have a better pedigree compared to, say, the Russian Champs.

The old format rewards teams that have consistently participated (and done well) in the CL. But the new format will reward the champions with even harder team or really easy ones. More group of deaths and more easy groups.

I guess Arsenal will be the biggest victims of the new format as the pot 1 regulars have at least won their leagues in recent years, while in the new format they drop to pot 2 or 3.

About time. But a few questions off the top of my head.

which are the top 7 leagues? Eng' date=' Esp, Ita, Ger, Fra, Por, Rus? Seriously Russia? CSKA? Ajax have a better chance.

How will the pot 2, 3, 4 be grouped? coefficients? or the runner ups in pot 2, then 3 is just a mixture?

Either way it will make pot 2 a very "good" one. Yes you might not be the champions of your league but surely you have a better pedigree compared to, say, the Russian Champs.

The old format rewards teams that have consistently participated (and done well) in the CL. But the new format will reward the champions with even harder team or really easy ones. More group of deaths and more easy groups.

[b']I guess Arsenal will be the biggest victims of the new format[/b] as the pot 1 regulars have at least won their leagues in recent years, while in the new format they drop to pot 2 or 3.

Was thinking that. Not that we seem to get past round of 16 lately anyway but if we keep finishing 3rd and 4th every year this will be hard.

Regardless of Arsenal, i prefer the system in place. Its not perfect, but teams that consistently perform in Europe are rewarded. Lets say United or Pool who have been tosh last 2 years and barring last seasons last 5 years respectively. If Liverpool were to somehow win the EPL this year they would be in pot 1? A team who has (no offence meant) Been pretty rubbish for a few years and not even seen Europe are suddenyl pot 1 while veterans of europe in recent years like Chelsea or Arsenal drop?

Was thinking that. Not that we seem to get past round of 16 lately anyway but if we keep finishing 3rd and 4th every year this will be hard.

Regardless of Arsenal' date=' i prefer the system in place. Its not perfect, but teams that consistently perform in Europe are rewarded. Lets say United or Pool who have been tosh last 2 years and barring last seasons last 5 years respectively. If Liverpool were to somehow win the EPL this year they would be in pot 1? A team who has (no offence meant) Been pretty rubbish for a few years and not even seen Europe are suddenyl pot 1 while veterans of europe in recent years like Chelsea or Arsenal drop?[/quote']

I think a mixture of both is needed. Pot 1 goes to the champions, as it is the champions league after all, but pots 2,3,4 get based on recent history. Reward the team that is actually champion of their respective league whilst still rewarding those who are consistently on the lower steps of the podium but fare well on the continental stage year after year.

I think a mixture of both is needed. Pot 1 goes to the champions' date=' as it is the champions league after all, but pots 2,3,4 get based on recent history. Reward the team that is actually champion of their respective league whilst still rewarding those who are consistently on the lower steps of the podium but fare well on the continental stage year after year.[/quote']

I actually think that is a very fair blend and would support that system. It is indeed the CHAMPIONS league so top 7 + champ in pot 1, and then 2,3,4 with the coeffecients and performance like it is now. Well said, and i hope this is how its implemented.

• 2 weeks later...

Man City hit the self destruct button in Europe.....yet again.

Honestly if anybody had said at half time CSKA would get a draw I would have sent the guys in white coats after them, the gulf in class was that vast.

The penalty was incredibly soft, not a penalty but City were guilty of complacency and a touch of arrogance.

Pellegrini at this level just seems to come unstuck time and time again and given the level of talent they have it really is unacceptable.

If Roma beat Bayern tonight it is as good as over for City, best case scenario I can see is them having to go to Roma and win and even that is not certain that they can get it to that.

So, so disappointing.

Man City hit the self destruct button in Europe.....yet again.

Honestly if anybody had said at half time CSKA would get a draw I would have sent the guys in white coats after them' date=' the gulf in class was that vast.

The penalty was incredibly soft, not a penalty but City were guilty of complacency and a touch of arrogance.

[b']Pellegrini at this level just seems to come unstuck time and time again and given the level of talent they have it really is unacceptable.[/b]

If Roma beat Bayern tonight it is as good as over for City, best case scenario I can see is them having to go to Roma and win and even that is not certain that they can get it to that.

So, so disappointing.

Pellegrini's taken Villarreal to the semis and Malaga to the quarters against all odds. It's not his problem. Blame lies with the players IMO. To step off the gas that much is criminal.