Sign in to follow this  
Louis

UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

2-0 FT.

The biggest talking point of the game is the performance of Pedro Proenca. He was an absolute joke. He shouldn't referee another game ever.

It was clear he favoured Juve right from the start. We had a stonewall penalty denied and he failed to give the foul in the build up to Tevez's goal. Johansson didn't do himself any favours by complaining, but still, the ref should have spotted the foul. If we got the penalty, things would have been different.

Onto the performance, we didn't play to the same level we did against Atletico which I think was due to the condition of the pitch. We were decent, played some decent stuff at times. Juve weren't great in the 1st half, but their were a different team in the 2nd half. Got a lot of luck though!

Bayern were terrible' date=' but how good is Aguero. city are an awesome side, but without Aguero i fear they would just be Arsenal. What a guy.[/quote']

I'm always critical of Bayern, but they were actually pretty good overall in my opinion. I did not care as much about the result as i did the performance since we're already through in 1st. 3 defensive errors lead to 3 Aguero goals. City did not create much apart from those awful mistakes, and yes they were awful. But the performance, on the road down a man, and to come back from 1-0 down against a side that desperately needed to win, showed true character. Until Alonso pulled his stunt, he was just pinging balls for fun, and for about a 15 minute period in the 1st half, Bayern looked they had an extra man while down a man. Disappointed by the result, but more than satisfied with the performance.

Jesus Christ' date=' this Portuguese ref is woeful. Absolutely woeful. Johansson was fouled in the build up to Tevez's goal. And to rub the salt in the wound, he sends Johansson off. :mad:[/quote']

You really must be used to much better referee's than him i'm sure...

Still' date='Real Madrid and Bayern joint favourites for me,with Chelsea are Barca joint second favs[/quote']

Chelsea and Madrid are ahead of Bayern for me, Bayern are too susceptible to stupid mistakes like the ones in Manchester, done them multiple times in the Bundesliga but Neuer has bailed them out every time, or because no striker in the Bundesliga other than Lewandowski is better than Aguero. Now, I would have never guessed that Alonso(best midfielder in Europe this season) would have committed one of those mistakes. Would have thought Boateng or Dante(half of that is true).

Chelsea and Madrid are ahead of Bayern for me' date=' Bayern are too susceptible to stupid mistakes like the ones in Manchester, done them multiple times in the Bundesliga but Neuer has bailed them out every time, or because [b']no striker in the Bundesliga other than Lewandowski is better than Aguero[/b]. Now, I would have never guessed that Alonso(best midfielder in Europe this season) would have committed one of those mistakes. Would have thought Boateng or Dante(half of that is true).

I'd say even Lewa isn't better than Aguero, it's all subjective though.

Bayern were terrible' date=' but how good is Aguero. [b']city are an awesome side[/b], but without Aguero i fear they would just be Arsenal. What a guy.

Not sure what match you were watching lol.

I'm always critical of Bayern' date=' but they were actually pretty good overall in my opinion. I did not care as much about the result as i did the performance since we're already through in 1st. 3 defensive errors lead to 3 Aguero goals. City did not create much apart from those awful mistakes, and yes they were awful. But the performance, on the road down a man, and to come back from 1-0 down against a side that desperately needed to win, showed true character. Until Alonso pulled his stunt, he was just pinging balls for fun, and for about a 15 minute period in the 1st half, Bayern looked they had an extra man while down a man. Disappointed by the result, but more than satisfied with the performance.[/quote']

Agree with what you're trying to say here but City could argue the same, that two defensive blunders lead to two Bayern goals. Agree that Bayern looked the better team though and were it not for Aguero, City probably would've ended up getting nada from this game.

Agree with what you're trying to say here but City could argue the same' date=' that two defensive blunders lead to two Bayern goals. Agree that Bayern looked the better team though and were it not for Aguero, City probably would've ended up getting nada from this game.[/quote']

Comparing Bayern's goals to City's, I would definitely not put City's "blunders" in the category of "blunders." If that makes sense lol. Nothing was Alonso-esque. I would argue that Benatia's was the worst because of the stupidity of the challenge. He's in a decent defensive position, all he has to do is get completely in front to block the angle of the far post, and Neuer covers everything else. But no, he decides to go all Rambo in the box. Guardiola must have bee enraged.

Still' date='Real Madrid and Bayern joint favourites for me,with Chelsea are Barca joint second favs[/quote']

So Chelski are CL contenders now because they're dominating PL... Alright we'll see.

This game has a Basel win all over it. I really can't see it any other way, perhaps a draw at the most.

Liverpool have home ground advantage, but that all goes out the window if the team is playing the way they are, or maybe not. Either way I'm tipping Basel to step up and win the match and go through the next round.

Very interesting matches tonight in UCL Groups (final round):

Juventus vs. Atletico - The Italians need a draw to go through.

Liverpool vs. Basel - LFC need a win to qualify for the knockouts.

Zenit vs. Monaco - Zenit must win to get a place into last-16.

Very interesting matches tonight in UCL Groups (final round):

Juventus vs. Atletico - The Italians need a draw to go through.

Liverpool vs. Basel - LFC need a win to qualify for the knockouts.

Zenit vs. Monaco - Zenit must win to get a place into last-16.

You've forgot to include Olympiakos v Malmö.

You really must be used to much better referee's than him i'm sure...

Obviously! How do you think we've won the league two years in a row?! :eek:

Joking aside, that was the worst refereeing performance that I've ever seen and trust me, I've seen a lot of terrible performance, especially from one person. If you're a worse referee than Lerjeus, you might as well leave the profession for good. :o

I read an interesting article regarding Proenca and Juventus. Proenca was the referee during the infamous game in Istanbul where it was postponed due to a storm but the game was resumed the next day despite the storm continuting over night which resulted in the condition of the pitch being worsened. Juventus felt that the pitch was in an unplayable condition and asked Proenca/UEFA that the game shouldn't be played. Proenca disagreed and the rest is history. Perhaps Proenca was making amends with Juve over the incident which cost them progression to the next round?

Anyway, interesting line-up against Olympiakos. Ricardinho, who's a left back will play at right back. Konate takes that spot. Tinnerholm will move to right midfield, which moves Eriksson to center midfielder as Halsti replaces the suspended Johansson at center back.

Anyone playing the CL fantasy?

Decide to used my wildcard this gameweek.

Vaclik

Suchy - Bellerin - Nacho - Durm - Masuaku

Bale - Calhanoglu - Toulalan

Streller - Ronaldo ©

Bench: Pardo | Brahimi | Gotze | Messi

A little bit heavy on Basel there. :P

1-0 to Olympiakos at HT. Such a poor goal to concede. A long throw which three of our players missed to clear.

We haven't been doing to badly, we've been on the frontfoot during the latter stages of the 2nd. The closest we've come was an Olympiakos player, who hit his own crossbar from a header by trying to clear a long throw into the box.

Anyone playing the CL fantasy?

Decide to used my wildcard this gameweek.

Vaclik

Suchy - Bellerin - Nacho - Durm - Masuaku

Bale - Calhanoglu - Toulalan

Streller - Ronaldo ©

Bench: Pardo | Brahimi | Gotze | Messi

A little bit heavy on Basel there. :P

You got lucky. They are doing well. :D