Sign in to follow this  
Louis

UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

@ Stuart : Wow just because I've said "the comment was a bit racist" you felt I've tarnished the person to a racist's level (!!!) and you also felt the need to say I need to apologise twice. Just wow. Aren't you taking your mod responsibility a little too seriously here?

No it was not even in the slightest and you said I was a racist....

I won't hold my breath for an apology' date=' it takes a bigger man to admit when they were in the wrong and you clearly are not going to..

But well done this is the most insulted I have ever felt on my time in the forum so congratulations I'm sure that will please you no end.

Goodnight.[/quote']

I never said you were a racist. I said the comment was a bit racist. Big difference.

@ Stuart : Wow just because I've said "the comment was a bit racist" you felt I've tarnished the person to a racist's level (!!!) and you also felt the need to say I need to apologise twice. Just wow. Aren't you taking your mod responsibility a little too seriously here?

Not mod responsibility, moral responsibility. Ray's clearly taken huge offence to your comment (as I would have) and I think it's best that you clear the air by apologising. You're more than welcome to do that in private if you'd prefer.

Not mod responsibility' date=' moral responsibility. Ray's clearly taken huge offence to your comment (as I would have) and I think it's best that you clear the air by apologising. You're more than welcome to do that in private if you'd prefer.[/quote']

I dont think I've said anything wrong and I'm not about to apologise. And if you're talking to me as a normal forumer then I'd suggest you not to interfere and say the same thing time and time again.

Btw how do you "clearly" know that he's taken a huge offence?

I dont think I've said anything wrong and I'm not about to apologise. And if you're talking to me as a normal forumer then I'd suggest you not to interfere and say the same thing time and time again.

Btw how do you "clearly" know that he's taken a huge offence?

Fine, but don't be surprised if people think a little less of you.

Well below he's said that this is the most insulted he's ever felt on this forum. Considering he's been a member for 7 years, that's some going.

Fine' date=' but don't be surprised if people think a little less of you.

Well below he's said that this is the most insulted he's ever felt on this forum. Considering he's been a member for 7 years, that's some going.[/quote']

Alright but I dont think people will think a little less of me at all.

There's no guarantee of truth in that comment. I strongly feel he said it to make things more awkward for me. But having said that I understand you're on his side in this argument and believe him to have said the truth.

That will be all from me tonight.

I never said you were a racist. I said the comment was a bit racist. Big difference.

Trust me Ghora Stu of all people knows that an apology goes a long way.

It's great to get into a fiery debate about your club and be passionate but accusations of racism' date=' even just hinting that someone is making a racist comment etc is very much a no, no.

It is obvious Ray has no racial intent in any of his comments tonight and so attempting to brand him a racist for innocent remarks is very poor IMO.

Essentially I think you'd be surprised how much respect can be lost over a false accusation of that, it's a very contentious issue in the UK.

Stu himself once accused me of being racist for suggesting Mansour was involved in an Abu Dhabi deal.

I was very deeply offended by the suggestion in fact it was the most offended I've ever been on this forum. Stu apologised via PM without that apology you can guarantee I would not be speaking to him now.

Stu did the right thing in the end, I suggest you do the same as I know it means a lot to the person wrongly accused.

Calling somebody a racist is a horrible accusation if completely unfounded as, in this situation, it was. I think you should apologise.

(Sorry for bringing it up Stu and well done for intervening yourself, for what it's worth you are redeemed in my eyes fully now :P but hopefully we can reach a positive outcome for Ray and Ghora)

So obviously there's a cultural divide here.

Something to keep in mind here is that given what he experiences in his daily life' date=' [b']Ghora's reaction may be completely normal and justified. After all we're talking about two different continents here[/b].

That being said, I don't think ray intended it in a racial sense, even though it's been interpreted so. On the flip side I'm appalled by how much crap some people are throwing at Ghora without even trying to understand where his perspective is coming from.

100% agree with you different culture you see things differently. I read all the comment between Ghora and ray but people saying Ghora will lose respect if he doesn't apologies it nonsense.

No its not. Because we dont get to see their matches regularly and forgive me for supporting players like Raul' date=' Zidane, Figo whose pictures are everyday on newspaper when I was probably about 10 or something. Try to look at from our point of view first.[/quote']

Not saying Ghora did him any good calling him a racist but this post totally got unnoticed or was probably ignored because this the answer to the glory hunting accusation by Ray.

Not saying Ghora did him any good calling him a racist but this post totally got unnoticed or was probably ignored because this the answer to the glory hunting accusation by Ray.

Or maybe because it is a load of rubbish. Star Sports coverage of the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A is extensive.

Or maybe because it is a load of rubbish. Star Sports coverage of the Premier League' date=' La Liga and Serie A is extensive.[/quote']

Well from my experience of the time spent in India, there were two channels, ESPN and another one I am forgetting. Out of 10 possible matches of a league, only 2 were telecasted and that's when all leagues had their kick off on different times but that's me talking about two years before so don't know what's mechanism now but if someone starts supporting a club, he can't change it can he even if the leagues are more extensively shown now.

Or maybe because it is a load of rubbish. Star Sports coverage of the Premier League' date=' La Liga and Serie A is extensive.[/quote']

Sorry Jamie but i thin k you are out of line with the glory hunter stuff (not as much as Ghora by the way)..

When i was a young lad in Australia, the ONLY games we got to see on free-to-air TV were SBS in the am showing Champions League. SO, rewind back to early 2000's and the clubs in the CL? those were my choices and i ended up going for Arsenal because, well, Henry and Bergkamp basically <3.

Sure NOW they may have great coverage, just like now, as an dult Foxtel easily get me all the football i like for major leagues. BUt as a young lad, the only soccer player/watcher in a family of 8 kids with not alot of money, we never had Pay TV or an interest at home and snuck up before school and watched it. I chose Arsenal (hard to give reasons when your that young could be the shirt colour honestly i just liked them) and they were a top 5 Europen club at the time. SO call me a glory hunter. go for it. I think you owe apologies whilst they are being suggested.

Sorry Jamie but i thin k you are out of line with the glory hunter stuff (not as much as Ghora by the way)..

When i was a young lad in Australia' date=' the ONLY games we got to see on free-to-air TV were SBS in the am showing Champions League. SO, rewind back to early 2000's and the clubs in the CL? those were my choices and i ended up going for Arsenal because, well, Henry and Bergkamp basically <3.

Sure NOW they may have great coverage, just like now, as an dult Foxtel easily get me all the football i like for major leagues. BUt as a young lad, the only soccer player/watcher in a family of 8 kids with not alot of money, we never had Pay TV or an interest at home and snuck up before school and watched it. I chose Arsenal (hard to give reasons when your that young could be the shirt colour honestly i just liked them) and they were a top 5 Europen club at the time. SO call me a glory hunter. go for it. I think you owe apologies whilst they are being suggested.[/quote']

I apologise for my offensive and out of line comments. I now see how my ignorant non founded views are incorrect.

I apologise for my offensive and out of line comments. I now see how my ignorant non founded views are incorrect.

Cheers pal, very less people like you are on the forum who actually accept that they are off the line.

When i was a young lad in Australia' date=' the ONLY games we got to see on free-to-air TV were SBS in the am showing Champions League. SO, rewind back to early 2000's and the clubs in the CL? those were my choices and i ended up going for Arsenal because, well, Henry and Bergkamp basically <3.

Sure NOW they may have great coverage, just like now, as an dult Foxtel easily get me all the football i like for major leagues. BUt as a young lad, the only soccer player/watcher in a family of 8 kids with not alot of money, we never had Pay TV or an interest at home and snuck up before school and watched it. I chose Arsenal (hard to give reasons when your that young could be the shirt colour honestly i just liked them) and they were a top 5 Europen club at the time. SO call me a glory hunter. go for it. I think you owe apologies whilst they are being suggested.[/quote']

Yep, pretty much no way to watch any league without paying here in Aus. They play 1 A-League game a week and the UCL/Europa + FA Cup Final for free, They use to play the Bundesliga live for a few years but even that has stopped. Outside of streaming or geo-unblocking and paying for content, the only way to watch any football is by paying for Foxtel, which is $50 a month minimum. The stupid thing is, you have to purchase the $25 entertainment package before you can purchase any other Foxtel package, otherwise a lot of people would purchase the sports only deal.

Oh come off it guys. Ghora has admitted that he supports Real Madrid because of Figo, Zidane, Raul, etc. Call it "glory hunting", call it whatever, I don't really care, but it's clearly some form of something.

I'm not European. I support a European club and I have for the past 9 years of my life, ever since I became a football fan during the 2006 World Cup. I chose my team based off players I wanted to watch. I have NEVER been called a glory hunter (until this year, when people assumed I only started supporting my club this year, but that's a different story).

During the 2006 World Cup, I really enjoyed watching various players. Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Fernando Torres, Miro Klose, Podolski, Figo, Maxi, Henry, Luca Toni, Buffon, etc. It would have been easy to support Real Madrid, or Arsenal, or Bayern Munich. But in that there is no pleasure. I started watching league games as I had access to them (so mainly the matches against Real or Barca) and my team chose me. The mix of playing style and names I recognized from the world cup (Maxi, Torres), in addition to being a team I could actually support (no recent titles, had recently come up from the Segunda), made it appealing. No, their matches were not broadcast on ESPN. No, they weren't mentioned in the Ottawa Citizen. But you find a way. It's not that hard. And it is sooooo worth it when your team finally stands up and does something against the well-groomed overpaid and overpublicized media darlings.

I've known ray for quite a while and he's never EVER had a problem with me supporting a European team. It's about which European squad you choose to support. There's a view across Spain and Europe, spreading across the world as people learn the clubs history, that supporting Real Madrid is selling out and supporting everything that is wrong with not only football, but with modernity.

I call out my Belgian buddy every day for supporting Real Madrid. I'd be racist if I didn't call out an Indian friend as well.

EDIT: As I re-read, the most racist thing said here was "If you think an Asian would support Crystal Palace, you have a different way of thinking." The heck is that supposed to mean? Again, I'm not European and have less ties to the UK than most Indians do (so I assume this applies to me as well), and my team in the BPL is Sunderland (+ any flavour of the week that's not a top 5 team. Not-glory glory-hunting, I will gladly admit). What does this make me, Ghora?

EDIT II: For what it's worth, what irks many the most about Real Madrid is the CULTURE. Look at how Atletico treated returning Fernando Torres this year. Even when he's come upon hard times, he's a family member. Is he the best player we've had in the last 15 years? No... Courtois, Diego Costa, Falcao, Aguero, even Forlan performed better. But Torres is a club icon. Now who are the club icons for Real Madrid? I'll give you Casillas. But how quickly Raul was forgotten, dropped and mistreated. Does anyone even remember Fernando Hierro? These are the heroes you need and should admire. As much as I hate his elbows and theatrics, even Sergio Ramos should be there. But no, you idolize trashnozzles like Ronaldo and Bale, like Marcelo and Kroos. How many times this year did Casillas and Ramos have to SCREAM at their teammates to get them to applaud the visiting fans or even the home fans after a tough game? There is such a disconnect between these plasticized trashnozzles and the culture of football; that's what makes them so hate-able and the way the fans choose their idols is so disheartening.

Spoken from an Atletico fan who has nothing but the deepest respect for guys like Raul, Hierro, Guti, Casillas and Morientes. And before you say I only choose Spaniards, if Chicharito weren't on loan, he would be on this list. The pride he has shown this year and the way he has conducted himself makes me wish him nothing but the best at the club; it was a relief when he was the one to eliminate us yesterday and not your plastic Madeiran cup of expired mayonnaise.

EDIT III: Cup of expired mayonnaise isn't an infractionnable offense, is it? :D

The way ive read this, Ray has asked a reasonable question, but because he included a geographical location into it, the context has been misconstrued by Ghora.

Ray was asking a reasonable question about how a fella from Kolkata choose Real Madrid as his team from the plethora of teams available, however Ghora has taken this as an attack on the fact an Indian is following a Spanish Football team. Im sure the same question could be asked to all the Aussies, Americans, Kiwis and other Asian countries who follow a European team.

Whist the race card has been played a little hastily, its nothing more than a misunderstanding that has got a little out of hand, however i will agree with Stu that a simple apology is all that is needed to clear the air and start a new.

No you did not you said directly...

"I am not talking to the Real Madrid hater in you I am talking to the racist bit in you"

Those are your words a clear indication/insinuation I am racist

Alright but I dont think people will think a little less of me at all.

There's no guarantee of truth in that comment. I strongly feel he said it to make things more awkward for me. But having said that I understand you're on his side in this argument and believe him to have said the truth.

That will be all from me tonight.

Yes me being insulted is purely to make things "awkward" for you as opposed to you calling me a Racist for no reason whatsoever, how awkward does that make things for me....your reasoning is illogical, plain wrong and out of order.

I asked you why you support Real Madrid when you live in Kolkata that is a question and it has absolutely no racial connotation to it whatsoever.

I have said things wrong or stuff in the past (nothing of this nature mind you) and have been man enough to offer an apology to those involved such as Rugger in one instance, however it is abundantly clear you have not got the integrity to do so.

I can take being called many things and people have on this forum as we have disagreements, differences of opinions etc and that is fine I can deal with petty insults however any insinuation that I make any judgements or anything based on the country they are from or the colour of there skin is deeply insulting where there is no basis to it whatsoever.

Not much makes me angry but in this instance I am angry, you throw mud around and some sticks regardless of the truth of the matter so the next time you falsely play the race card think twice before doing so....

Last thing I have to say on the matter other than Thank you to those guys who have spoke on my behalf.

Lets get this thread back on topic and talk about some ripping Champions League football shall we, If anyone wants to talk about Glory Hunting or Racism take it to Pm, it doesn't belong in here, myself included.