Sign in to follow this  
Louis

UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Great game of football, and a great show of sportsmanship to top it off after the game. Beautiful to see Xavi depart on a high, as he's thoroughly deserved in. He and Iniesta are possibly the only two players who, on their day, would be able to approach "Michael Laudrup territory". Sad to see other legends leave "empty-handed" though, especially Buffon, who was absolutely fantastic today. Pirlo and Xavi's amicable conversation after the game put a great big smile on my face, that's for sure.

I couldn't have possibly imagined saying this, but this Barcelona team makes their sextuple winning team of 2011 look pretty average, which is scary to say the least.

So yeah, Barcelona get their treble and Real Madrid get Rafa Benitez... Happy times!

I couldn't have possibly imagined saying this' date=' but this Barcelona team makes their sextuple winning team of 2011 look pretty average, which is scary to say the least.

[/quote']

Not even close. An I'm assuming you mean the 2009 team?

That Barca was the greatest team of all time. This one doesn't really come close and is very very reliant on Messi. Not only does he score and create bucket loads of goals but he regularly drops in deeper to provide support to their midfield which hasn't bee anything special. His sheer presence creates so many goals. Neither Xavi nor Iniesta have touched their form of 5 years ago and frankly Iniesta is massively overrated these days.

The 2015-16 Champions League has officially started. Wasn't expecting much today, but the two matches I've watched have been really good.

Quarabag (AZB) 0 - 0 Rudar (MON)

Malmo (SWE) 0 - 0 Zalgiris (LIT)

BATE (BUL) 2 - 1 Dundalk (IRE)

Celtic (SCO) 2 - 0 Stjarnan (ICE) (In Progress)

Zagreb (CRO) 1 - 1 Esch (LUX) (In Progress)

Having a lot of fun watching Esch, who are actually right there with Zagreb. Not a fluke at all.

And yesterday's results:

Ventspils (LAT) 1 - 3 HJK (FIN)

APOEL (CYP) 0-0 Vardar (MAC)

Midtjylland (DEN) 1-0 Lincoln (GIB)

Ludogorets (BUL) 0-1 Milsami (MOL)

Hibernians (MAL) 2-1 Maccabi Tel Aviv (ISR)

Molde (NOR) 5-0 Pyunik (ARM)

Korce (ALB) 4-1 Crusaders (NIR)

New Saints (WAL) 0-1 Videoton ()

Maribor (SVN) 1-0 Astana (KAZ)

Trencin (SVK) 0-2 Steaua (ROM)

Partizan (SER) 1-0 Dila (GEO)

Sarajevo (BOS) 0-2 Lech (POL)

Just the first leg, but some shockers in there, notably for Ludogorets and Maccabi Tel Aviv. Malmö also maybe in trouble.

Malmö also maybe in trouble.

We'll be fine. For some weird reason' date=' we're always play terribly in the first leg qualifying round of CL/EL. Last year against Ventspils, we drew 0-0 (went through 1-0 on aggregate). The year before in the EL, we drew Drogheda 0-0 (went through 2-0 on aggregate).

If we beat Zalgiris, we'll face Red Bull Salzburg in the next round. A rematch of the epic play-off game from last year. :D Also it gives me an excuse to post this wonder goal: [url']http://www.goalopedia.com/goals/256[/url]

We'll be fine. For some weird reason' date=' we're always play terribly in the first leg qualifying round of CL/EL. Last year against Ventspils, we drew 0-0 (went through 1-0 on aggregate). The year before in the EL, we drew Drogheda 0-0 (went through 2-0 on aggregate).

If we beat Zalgiris, we'll face Red Bull Salzburg in the next round. A rematch of the epic play-off game from last year. :D Also it gives me an excuse to post this wonder goal: [url']http://www.goalopedia.com/goals/256[/url]

I really, really hope so. I was working last year for both legs, but I am SO there if this fixture happens again this year. Massive love for Malmö.

Finished 1-0 in the end. Zalgiris pretty much parked the bus over the two legs and made it hard for us. They can be proud of their performances, apart from their thuggishness in the 2nd leg. It looks like they wanted a wrestling match instead of a football match. Thought the referee had a good game today. Also a quick shout out to the three youngsters, Franz Brorsson, Erdal Rakip and the 16 year old debutant in goal Marko Johansson who had good games. smile.png It was Marko who started the attack which led to the goal.

Anyway much improvement is needed to get past Salzburg. Rodic, Arnason, Carvalho and Djurdjic will be available for registration, and hopefully we'll finally get a new keeper (Wiland perhaps?), drop Yotun for Vindheim or perhaps we'll get a new LB and drop Eikrem who's been abysmal for the last couple of games. If I was the head coach, this would be my team against Salzburg:

Wiland (?)

Tinnerholm - Arnason - Bengtsson - Vindheim

Rodic - Rakip - Lewicki - Berget

Djurdijc - Rosenberg

Interesting thing to note, only two players in the above line-up started against Salzburg in the 1st leg in last years match (Tinnerholm and Rosenberg). Six of the players who started in the 1st leg have left the club. frown.png

Wiland's transfer to Malmö is official, but we need another goalkeeper as Azinovic has been ruled out for the rest of the reason after he ruptured a tendon in his knee in the game against Žalgiris. He'll be missed off the field more than on the field as he's quite popular with his fellow teammates in the dressing room (he's not really a good goalkeeper).

2nd Round Results:

Milsami Orhei 2 - 1 Ludogoretes Razgrad (agg: 3 - 1)

Crusaders 3 - 2 Skënderbeu (agg: 4 - 6)

Dila Gori 0 - 2 Partizan (agg: 0 - 3)

Žalgiris Vilnus 0 - 1 Malmö FF (agg: 0 - 1)

Lincoln 0 - 2 Midtjylland (agg: 0 - 3)

Vardar 1 - 1 APOEL (agg: 1 - 1, APOEL win on away goals)

Maccabi Tel-Aviv 5 - 1 Hibernians (agg: 6 - 3)

Pyunik 1 -0 Molde (agg: 1 - 5)

HJK Helsinki 1 - 0 Ventspils (agg: 4 - 1)

Astana 3 - 1 Maribor (agg: 3 - 2)

Steaua Bucureşti 2 - 3 Trenčín (agg: 4 - 3)

Fola Esch 0 - 3 Dinamo Zagreb (agg: 1 - 4)

Dundalk 0 - 0 BATE Borisov (agg: 1 - 2)

Videoton 1 - 1 The New Saints (AET, agg: 2 - 1)

Stjarnan 1 - 4 Celtic (agg: 1 - 6)

Rudar Pljevlja 0 - 1 Qarabağ (agg: 0 - 1)

Lech Poznań 1 - 0 FK Sarajevo (agg: 3-0)

Just two major shocks in this round with Milsami Orhei of Moldova and Astana of Kazakhstan beating last seasons participants in the group stages, Ludogoretes and Maribor. There's also been an accusation of match fixing towards Skënderbeu: https://twitter.com/GraemeCCFC/statu...92358261747714 , https://twitter.com/ogers88/status/623609419566346241 , https://twitter.com/ogers88/status/623609726128009216 & https://i.imgur.com/cYwdJc1.jpg . It's not the first time they've been accused of match fixing. Google "Skënderbeu match fixing" and look at the results.

The 3rd Round draw:

Champions Route

KKS Lech Poznań (POL) v FC Basel 1893 (SUI)

FC Milsami Orhei (MDA) v KF Skënderbeu (ALB)

HJK Helsinki (FIN) v FC Astana (KAZ) - Sorry Safir

Celtic FC (SCO) v Qarabağ FK (AZE)

FC Steaua Bucureşti (ROU) v FK Partizan (SRB)

FC Midtjylland (DEN) v APOEL FC (CYP)

Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR) v FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)

GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) v Molde FK (NOR)

Videoton FC (***) v FC BATE Borisov (BLR)

FC Salzburg (AUT) v Malmö FF (SWE)

League Route

Panathinaikos FC (GRE) v Club Brugge KV (BEL)

BSC Young Boys (SUI) v AS Monaco FC (FRA)

PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS) v AC Sparta Praha (CZE)

SK Rapid Wien (AUT) v AFC Ajax (NED)

Fenerbahçe SK (TUR) v FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)

My predictions in bold.

Salzburg: Stankovic; Schmitz, Miranda, Hinteregger, Ulmer; Berisha, Keita, Leitgeb, Atanga; Djuricin, Oberlin.

Subs - Walke, Upamecano, Prevljak, Pires, Lainer, Laimer, Nielsen.

No Soriano in the squad as he's on his way to join Benfica. Massive news for us as he was the most dangerous player against us last year.

Malmö: Wiland; Tinnerholm, Arnason, Carvalho, Yotun; Rodic, Adu, Lewicki, Sana; Rosenberg, Djurdjic.

Subs - Johansson, Bengtsson, Vindheim, Brorsson, Rakip, Eikrem, Berget.

Happy with the team. FRÅMAT MALMÖ!!!

Kick off is in 50 minutes.