UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

What an incredible match that was.

Absolute cracker.

Impressive performance by Sevilla' date=' unlucky not to get the fifth goals.[/quote']

Yep, as the commenters said, this could very well be one of the best games we will get all season (from a neutral/entertainment pov), and can't really argue with it, this game has everything you could ask for.

Really bummed for Sevilla though, they missed 2 crackers right at the end which could've sent them to penalties.

Gotta hand it to emery though, he's a great motivator and knows how to make his players run all game long, wish we had him at Roma, we need someone like him, that would make our players run and press like that.

Defo curious to see how far will Sevilla be able to go in the big boys European competition this season, I personally have high hopes for them, quarter finals is what they can reach with a little luck imo.

FT: Salzburg 2 - 0 Malmö

:(

The referee was absolutely atrocious. We had two clear penalty shouts which weren't given. :mad: Also Salzburg's penalty was incorrectly given IMO.

The second leg finished 3-0 to Malmö. :D

070709_02.jpg

What a game it was. Two early goals by Djurdjic and Rosenberg gave us hope that we could go on and win the tie within 90 minutes' date=' and hell yeah we did after Rodic pounced on a defensive error by Miranda.The 2nd half was quite nervy though, especially after Adu was sent off. But we held on and defended well.

[YOUTUBE']6timgKaTli4[/YOUTUBE]

All the money Dead Bull Salzburg spent and they still can't get into the Champions League. :D They might as well create their own version of the Champions League with their Red Bull money featuring other Red Bull owned teams. ;)

Now we face Celtic in the play-off round. There's no doubt that it'll be a tough tie but I think we'll go through. We've got an unbreakable spirit, never say die attitude and that should help us through. I'll be going to Celtic Park along with a large contingent of fellow fans, so it should be a nice day out. Rosenberg and Adu will be suspended for the first leg (you won't get lucky this time Celtic ;)), Rosenberg's influence and work ethic will be missed, Adu...... meh not so much, he hasn't performed well this season.

Prediction for the 1st leg: 3-0 to us. Jo Inge Berget will come back to haunt you with a hat-rick. :D Nah just kidding, I think it'll be 1-1.

looked like a pretty stonewall pen the ref missed but well done on n unexpected comeback win.

Thank you :) and yes you're right. It was a definite penalty, but let me remind you that Salzburg were awarded an incorrect penalty whilst we were denied a definite penalty. Both the Austrian and Swedish pundits agree on this unanimously.

But on the overall performance in the two legs, we deserve to go through.

The second leg finished 3-0 to Malmö. :D

070709_02.jpg

What a game it was. Two early goals by Djurdjic and Rosenberg gave us hope that we could go on and win the tie within 90 minutes' date=' and hell yeah we did after Rodic pounced on a defensive error by Miranda.The 2nd half was quite nervy though, especially after Adu was sent off. But we held on and defended well.

[YOUTUBE']6timgKaTli4[/YOUTUBE]

All the money Dead Bull Salzburg spent and they still can't get into the Champions League. :D They might as well create their own version of the Champions League with their Red Bull money featuring other Red Bull owned teams. ;)

Now we face Celtic in the play-off round. There's no doubt that it'll be a tough tie but I think we'll go through. We've got an unbreakable spirit, never say die attitude and that should help us through. I'll be going to Celtic Park along with a large contingent of fellow fans, so it should be a nice day out. Rosenberg and Adu will be suspended for the first leg (you won't get lucky this time Celtic ;)), Rosenberg's influence and work ethic will be missed, Adu...... meh not so much, he hasn't performed well this season.

Prediction for the 1st leg: 3-0 to us. Jo Inge Berget will come back to haunt you with a hat-rick. :D Nah just kidding, I think it'll be 1-1.

Many congratulations to your beloved Malmo, Daniel!

I just love when humble sides beat moneybag clubs. :D

Good luck vs Celtic!

From my point of view, Salzburg are better than Celtic, so your chances aren't that slim.

If you had drawn Basel, I wouldn't fancy your chances.

Any of the other 4, like Celtic, are nothing special imo.

Damn, Leverkusen and Basel are in trouble!

This ain't good for my Braga.

I was hoping for Utd, S. Donetsk, Valencia and the 2 clubs above to qualify.

That would mean Braga would get into the EL group stage's pot 1.

The first 3 will probably go through.

But if Basel and BL fall to the EL, I'd need 2 of these 4 scenarios to come true: Zilina knocking Athletic out (won't happen), Odd eliminating BvB (not in a million years), D. Minsk eliminating Salzburg (not impossible, but very unlikely) or Jablonec knocking Ajax out (possible, but unlikely).

Fingers crossed... :P

Celtic 3 - 2 Malmö

Disappointing with the performance but I can't complain as I'm absolutely thrilled with the result. We have a massive advantage with two away goals!!!

As I mentioned above I was disappointed with the performance especially defensively. I honestly thought we were going to be in for a long night when we were 2-0 down in the first 10 minutes, but we somehow dusted ourselves down and got back into the game. Who else but Jo Inge Berget, the ex-Celtic player who came back to haunt them by scoring twice.

We missed Rosenberg and Adu (I thought I'd never say that given his current form) badly. If they weren't suspended, then I reckon we would have won the game. Now with them back for the second leg, I'm extremely confident that we'll progress to the group stages.

Also the game had vibes from last seasons play-off game with Salzburg. We get an important away goal right at the end to make the deficit by one goal and it was the same yesterday. History tells us that Malmö won the return leg.

On another note, Wiland made some interesting comments about the Celtic players - http://www.theguardian.com/football/...children-malmo . I would agree with him on that. The biggest pig was their captain Scott Brown. He is an absolute (insert every expletive in the dictionary). Just wait till he gets a sly elbow in the face from Rosenberg, then we'll see who's the big guy.

My prediction for the draw

Man city - Barcelona or Bayern Munich(normally get them), Pot 3 - Roma(Dzeko return) Pot 4 they get Wolfsburg (De Bruyne)

Chelsea - 1 of the Madrids more likely Atletico, Pot 3 -Shaktar(D Costa),

Arsenal - PSG or Bayern, Pot 3 Sevilla

Man Utd - Benfica, Zenit or PSV Pot 3- Galatarasay(keeper link) Pot 4 - Zagreb(Angelo Henrique)

Malmö 2 - 0 Celtic (Agg: 4 - 3)

WE'RE IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOR THE 2ND YEAR RUNNING!!!! :D

What an awesome game it was. IMO, it was the best football we've played this season. Could have won the game comfortably if it wasn't for their keeper Gordon who made some world class saves. Rosenberg and Adu who were suspended for the 1st leg showed what we missed. Both of them were fantastic, especially Rosenberg.

We had a bit of luck when Celtic had a goal wrongly dissolved. It could have also been a red card for Arnason who decided to be the goalkeeper and punch the ball. But before that Celtic were lucky not to go down to 10 men when Griffiths kneed Tinnherolm in the groin. What disgusting behaviour from Griffiths. The cheek of him to say to the ref that he got the ball, but tbf he did but it was the wrong one. If Griffiths got sent off that the disallowed goal incident wouldn't have happened.

Zlatan tweeted to congratulate us by saying "MFF in Champions League. One day I hope to experience the Champions League in Malmö on the pitch. Congratulations!

". Could it mean that Zlatan wants to come home and don that sky blue jersey again? :D He did say that his next move will be a surprise.

Anyway, I would like this group in the draw:

PSG, Porto, Olympiacos, Malmö.

Champions-League-Draw1.jpg?v=20150827184549

Here are the groups

As a roma fan im pretty satisfied with group E, of course i would've preferred group H, as we were so close to it, damn you Maldini for choosing the wrong ball out of the 2! But then again, we had it waaaaay better than Juventus.

Bayer is a team that can be beaten, and on paper we are the stronger team, and Bate honestly is a weak team and if we lose points against them then we deserve to get out. barca are in their own league and i'd be happy not to get a 7-1 from them aswell xD

Juventus had it way worse, City, Sevilla and Gladbach are 3 really solid teams, and with the changes that Juventus has had to its core team, it will be tough to replicate last season's wonders. They realistically still have a really good chance at passing as they are still a better team, or at the very least on par with Sevilla.

Gladbach is a good team but i dont see them as anything more than a team that will steal a couple precious points from someone.

Got to say though, the draws have been pretty evenly split in regards to thoughness, with the thoughest group being group D, but still its definetly not as tight as the thoughest groups were the last couple of seasons.

You can pretty much guess each group's 1st and 2nd imo.

Ima go on a limb and predict each group 1st and 2nd:

Group A: Real Madrid, PSG

B: United, CSKA

C: Atletico, Benfica

D: Man City, Juve

E: barcelona, Roma

F: Bayern, Arsenal

G: Chelsea, Porto

h: Valencia, Zenit

Champions-League-Draw1.jpg?v=20150827184549

Here are the groups

As a roma fan im pretty satisfied with group E' date=' of course i would've preferred group H, as we were so close to it, damn you Maldini for choosing the wrong ball out of the 2! But then again, we had it waaaaay better than Juventus.

Bayer is a team that can be beaten, and on paper we are the stronger team, and Bate honestly is a weak team and if we lose points against them then we deserve to get out. barca are in their own league and i'd be happy not to get a 7-1 from them aswell xD

Juventus had it way worse, City, Sevilla and Gladbach are 3 really solid teams, and with the changes that Juventus has had to its core team, it will be tough to replicate last season's wonders. They realistically still have a really good chance at passing as they are still a better team, or at the very least on par with Sevilla.

Gladbach is a good team but i dont see them as anything more than a team that will steal a couple precious points from someone.

Got to say though, the draws have been pretty evenly split in regards to thoughness, with the thoughest group being group D, but still its definetly not as tight as the thoughest groups were the last couple of seasons.

You can pretty much guess each group's 1st and 2nd imo.

Ima go on a limb and predict each group 1st and 2nd:

Group A: Real Madrid, PSG

B: United, CSKA

C: Atletico, Benfica

D: Man City, Juve

E: barcelona, Roma

F: Bayern, Arsenal

G: Chelsea, Porto

h: Valencia, Zenit[/quote']

Completely disagree.

How do you have it better than Juve?

Barcelona are better than Sevilla and Leverkusen are better than Gladbach, you would have a much easier time of progressing if you and Juve swapped.

I still think you have a very good chance of going through but it would be much easier for you if you were in Group D instead of Juve.

Completely disagree.

How do you have it better than Juve?

Barcelona are better than Sevilla and Leverkusen are better than Gladbach' date=' you would have a much easier time of progressing if you and Juve swapped.

I still think you have a very good chance of going through but it would be much easier for you if you were in Group D instead of Juve.[/quote']

City is way better than Leverkusen, and Gladbach is way better than Bate, if you want to look at it the right way.

The way i see it, Barcelona is one step ahead of the rest of our group, but Leverkusen and Bate are beatable teams.

City just massively improved their starting 11, and while their european record in recent years isnt the greatest they are still a formidable opponent.

Sevilla is miles ahead of Leverkusen, especially in european competitions, you are crazy if you'd prefer the spanish club over the german one.

Gladbach is a though opponent, while bate has been really poor last season in the CL and have no reason to be any different this season.

The way i see it, in our group we have Barcelona who is already 1st and then an open field where Roma is actually the more likely to grab that 2nd place.

With Juve, they definetly have more of a chance to get 1st place, but they also have more chances to finish out of the top 2.

Different point of views i guess

Happy for Arsenals group. Obviuosly Bayern are awesome but we should really be cruising in ahead of Zagreb and olympiakos. I agree first time in years no real group of death but id lean towards D. C is probably the easiest group if your team was to swap a team out. E.G Arseanl swap for Atletico and we could win it. G probably has the most predictable 2 to miss out. Alot of them have a good battle on for likely 2nd to qualify like Leverkusen v Roma, PSG vs Shaktar (dont underestimate them i say)

Malmö 2 - 0 Celtic (Agg: 4 - 3)

WE'RE IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOR THE 2ND YEAR RUNNING!!!! :D

What an awesome game it was. IMO' date=' it was the best football we've played this season. Could have won the game comfortably if it wasn't for their keeper Gordon who made some world class saves. Rosenberg and Adu who were suspended for the 1st leg showed what we missed. Both of them were fantastic, especially Rosenberg.

We had a bit of luck when Celtic had a goal wrongly dissolved. It could have also been a red card for Arnason who decided to be the goalkeeper and punch the ball. But before that Celtic were lucky not to go down to 10 men when Griffiths kneed Tinnherolm in the groin. What disgusting behaviour from Griffiths. The cheek of him to say to the ref that he got the ball, but tbf he did but it was the wrong one. If Griffiths got sent off that the disallowed goal incident wouldn't have happened.

Zlatan tweeted to congratulate us by saying "MFF in Champions League. One day I hope to experience the Champions League in Malmö on the pitch. Congratulations!

". Could it mean that Zlatan wants to come home and don that sky blue jersey again? :D He did say that his next move will be a surprise.

Anyway, I would like this group in the draw:

PSG, Porto, Olympiacos, Malmö.[/quote']

I'm glad Celtic got knocked out i'd rather not watch them get hammered in the group stages and they're just abysmal to watch league or cl. They get all this money and spend it on garbage players. Before that though they need a high profile manager someone not linked to Celtic and not a unproven manager as getting them''To play the Celtic Way''doesn't work. Deila isn't a terrible manager he was just never good enough for a team wanting to be in the cl group stages. It's tough though as no one wants to live in a cold country with a tripe league and earn less money than they'll get practically anywhere else. To many things going against them and to be honest i couldn't even think of a reasonable choice for manager that is high-ish profile that's available suitable and who'd actually come to Celtic.

As for the actual match i found it funny that Celtic tried to defend the 1 goal lead for so long when they're terrible in defence excluding Van Dijk they were pushed right back to there own box most of the first half i watched not even the CF was out more than 35 yards. It was inevitable they were going to concede playing like that. It just shows how bad Celtic are when Malmo who are also terrible beat them lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Not sure what to make of that Benfica - Zenit game I mean how it ended 3-1 is pretty crazy but another good performance from Renato Sanches I really like this kid still makes a few bad decisions but he's amazing just needs to make the right move where he can learn such as Pogba did with Pirlo and Marchisio FANTASTIC talent. 

Not sure what to make of that Benfica - Zenit game I mean how it ended 3-1 is pretty crazy but another good performance from Renato Sanches I really like this kid still makes a few bad decisions but he's amazing just needs to make the right move where he can learn such as Pogba did with Pirlo and Marchisio FANTASTIC talent. 

I really hope the kid stays humble and doesn't let himself get surrounded by bad influences, like greedy agents or oportunistic people in general.

bayern vs Juventus OMG what a great game.

Juventus played great but defending a 1-0 lead after just 6 minutes i'm more than glad they lost but that goal was not offside and Neuer is a donkey. He can't be claimed best overall GK when he does things like to often.

That Luis Suarez goal Woah that was special  :o