UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Bit unfair' date=' to be honest. Chelsea were a lot more positive tonight, created a lot more chances, played some good stuff sometimes and probably deserved to win, if it wasn't for the referee. They were certainly better than they were in the first leg.[/quote']

I was joking :)

That's what happens when you park the bus on the first leg. I don't know what you are talking about hard done. Chelsea disrespected the beautiful game by playing so defensive now they got their just deserts.

Again, bit unfair. There were three, possibly four, 'stone wall' penalties not given for some unknown reason, and there's no doubt in my mind that Chelsea would have scored at least one of them and put the game beyond doubt.

Nice. :P Hopefully people will move onto Chelsea jokes instead of Newcastle. :D

Bookies are tipping Newcastle to go down quicker than a Geordie Lass in the Big market on a Saturday Night.

Pique on the bench for Man United last final and first choice CB for the opposite team this final. Did he get a medal last season?

Nice. :P Hopefully people will move onto Chelsea jokes instead of Newcastle. :D

Whats the difference between Alan Shearer and NUFC?

Shearer will be on match of the day next season. :D:p

Tbh' date=' I'm quite sad that Chelsea aren't in the final again... I really wanted to see this again:

[img']http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00782/john-terry-crying2_782147c.jpg[/img]

and

_44678559_terry2_getty416.jpg

Roll on Rome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Tbh' date=' I'm quite sad that Chelsea aren't in the final again... I really wanted to see this again:

[img']http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00782/john-terry-crying2_782147c.jpg[/img]

and

That is what you are NOT supposed to do! :mad: Apparently Terry was crying at the end of this game so have a look. Cant promise anything because i havent seen it myself. Whoever plays at right back in Rome will be torn apart by Henry. Neville or O'Shea against Henry! :P

That is what you are NOT supposed to do! :mad: Apparently Terry was crying at the end of this game so have a look. Cant promise anything because i havent seen it myself. Whoever plays at right back in Rome will be torn apart by Henry. Neville or O'Shea against Henry! :P

Well Rooney will probably play on the right and track back to help O'Shea. Park might start on the left to help Evra against Messi with Carrick and Anderson in CM along with Berbatov and Ronnie up top. Anayway' date=' Ronaldo will tear Slyvinho / Pique apart! :P

[img']http://img5.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-27455/loc363/51738_20090506_22_gyi0057372372_123_363lo.jpg[/img]

Lampard almost crying. :D

Oh yeah, also wanted to post this which I saw in the game...

51785_20090506_22_gyi0057372463_123_89lo.jpg

That is what football is about. Sportmanship!

Edit - These pictures seem to have a mid of their own. Appearing and disappearing. :o

This tie has left such a bitter taste in my mouth that I'm actually considering supporting Man Utd for the final. At least Man Utd earned their spot in the final. Chelsea has a terrible record playing against referees in the Champions League.

Well Rooney will probably play on the right and track back to help O'Shea. Park might start on the left to help Evra against Messi with Carrick and Anderson in CM along with Berbatov and Ronnie up top. Anayway' date=' Ronaldo will tear Slyvinho / Pique apart! :P

[img']http://img5.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-27455/loc363/51738_20090506_22_gyi0057372372_123_363lo.jpg[/img]

Lampard almost crying. :D

Oh yeah, also wanted to post this which I saw in the game...

51785_20090506_22_gyi0057372463_123_89lo.jpg

That is what football is about. Sportmanship!

Edit - These pictures seem to have a mid of their own. Appearing and disappearing. :o

Well, i do agree that football is a bout sportsmanship, but the way barca won the game was really.......should i say, heartbreaking. Chelsea dominated the entire game. Created a lot of chances (which they failed to take) and right at the death iniesta scores for barca (that was barca's first shot on target!). Then after that Chelsea should have got a penalty when whoever is was (i forgot :o) handled that ball.

I would have been distraught had a been a Chelsea fan and as Drogba rightly said at the end of the game the official was a "******* disgrace". :P;)

That's what happens when you park the bus on the first leg. I don't know what you are talking about hard done. Chelsea disrespected the beautiful game by playing so defensive now they got their just deserts.

Disrespected the beautiful game? How exactly? By tactically going for the goalless draw at Barca, and succeeding? :rolleyes:

It's a tie over two legs, the aim is to get to the final, you do it any way you want, and Chelsea did it perfectly. And if it wasn't for a dodgy referee, the would be through right now.

I have never understood why people criticized the way Chelsea set up and the tactics they used' date=' I personally would be more inclined to criticize Barcelona. Chelsea showed that they can change their tactics and play in a way to take away their opponents strength, and for 180 minutes it pretty much worked. Barcelona only know how to play one way, they don't diversify or deviate from that, they play the same way they play in Spain against poor defenses and expect to win with ease when they play against non-Spanish opposition and complain when they aren't allowed to play the game they want. Eto'o and Messi usually dominate their domestic opposition defenses and where were they tonight? Chelsea shut them out of the play in all honesty, how many teams can say they did that this season? But Barcelona kept to their natural game and kept passing and passing and when they finally got that sight at goal they scored, it was a good goal and was worked well so I have to give them credit for that.

[/quote']

Finally, someone speaking sense!

a lot of ppl sayin the ref was dodgy and it be fair he was but they cant whinge cause the ref was just as bad AGAINST barca in the 1st leg so imo it evened out.

I don't think 1 possible penalty shout in the first leg is equal to 3 or 4 definite shouts in the second leg.

That's an exaggeration. Abidal didn't deserve to go though.

well i thawt i saw a lot and also there were a few times when really bad chalenges happened and even fouls werent given. probly cause they thawt drogba and malouda were play acting :P

If Chelsea fans are angry about the referee, so are Barcelona fans.

Because of the referee, Barca's home victory was gone. Otherwise, Barca wouldn't have been so aggressive in the second leg and Chelsea wouldn't even have the chance to complain about the referee!

If Chelsea deserved penalties in the second leg (which I also agree), then Barca deserved a home victory! Barca deserved a penalty, Ballack should be sent off, Chelsea deserved more cards in the first leg and second leg! Abidal shouldn't receive the red card!

So don't just moan over the injustice Chelsea had received. They were lucky that they didn't lose at Camp Nou.

Well' date=' i do agree that football is a bout sportsmanship, but the way barca won the game was really.......should i say, heartbreaking. Chelsea dominated the entire game. Created a lot of chances (which they failed to take) and right at the death iniesta scores for barca (that was barca's first shot on target!). Then after that Chelsea should have got a penalty when whoever is was (i forgot :o) handled that ball.

I would have been distraught had a been a Chelsea fan and as Drogba rightly said at the end of the game the official was a "******* disgrace". :P;)[/quote']

I agree that it's nothing graceful for Barca's victory.

But I don't think Chelsea had really dominated the entire game. 4 shots on target vs 1 shot on target may sound OK but comparing the ball possesion, Chelsea was again far behind Barca. In terms of possession and control, it was Barca who dominated the entire game.;)

I agree Chelsea deserved a home win, so did Barca.

But if this really happened, Barca would have more advantage in the second leg and they wouldn't have been so desperate to make fouls.:)

and

I had a better opinion of you than this.

Rishabh What you said mate, I totally agree with you mate.

I would have been distraught had a been a Chelsea fan and as Drogba rightly said at the end of the game the official was a "******* disgrace". :P;)

how was he a disgrace??? only one of those 4 penalty shouts were actually penalties (the pique handball - malouda was fouled outside the box, drogba went down far too softly and the eto'o one hit him on his armpit), and lets not forget that barca had a stonewall penalty not given at the nou camp and got abidal sent off for anelka tripping up over himself, and not to mention some of the antics of the chelsea fans (death threats to the ref (and not for the first time either), their usual 'lets bully the ref' tactics and the fans who were throwing the sticks from the plastic flags at bojan when he was warming up).

the only disgraces out there last night were ballack for his actions towards the ref, terry for his usual antics at the ref and drogba for missing two very good chances in both legs and his embarrassing actions after the game, and results like this make me believe that there is some justice in football as it would be a travesty had a man like drogba been parading around with the biggest prize in club football after some of his shameful antics in the last two CL ties, instead he's disgraced himself for a second year running