UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

Your living in cuckoo methinks' date=' United should be able to beat an ageing side who play solely on reputation, they aren't the same team that they were a few years ago.[/quote']

but you would say that your a united fan.. AC ageing? Seedorf 33, Inzagi 36, Dida 36, Nesta 33.. few old guys, yeah ok..

but hows this ageing? Pato 20, Flamini and Tiago Silva 25..

Bordeaux could go on to win it? yeah they could, anyone could.. a)they came out of a difficult group top b)they have a brilliant forward in Chamakh c) Bordeaux and Chelsea are the only two unbeaten teams in the CL at the moment.

So why cant Bordeaux win it? Barcalona could go on to win it, United could, CSKA could! 16 teams! 4 round to go, 8 more games to go.. so why not?

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread What is your problem you seem to be constantly throwing your weight around looking for arguments. Its boring. How has ANYTHING Jack said been arrogant?

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread +

My Predicted Winners Are Bold:

Stuttgart v Barcelona

Olympiakos v Bordeaux

Inter Milan v Chelsea

Bayern Munich v Fiorentina

CSKA Moscow v Sevilla

Lyon v Real Madrid

Porto v Arsenal

AC Milan v Man Utd

Are you just picking the away side as winners or is there more to your predictions than meets the eye? :P

Stuttgart v Barcelona

Olympiakos v Bordeaux

Inter Milan v Chelsea

CSKA Moscow v Sevilla

Lyon v Real Madrid

Porto v Arsenal

AC Milan v Man Utd

Viola not so impressed by their Serie A play in the least bit but their CL play has been up to par, I can seem them along with CSKA being possible 'darkhorse' champs.

Stuttgart v Barcelona

Olympiakos v Bordeaux

Inter Milan v Chelsea

CSKA Moscow v Sevilla

Lyon v Real Madrid

Porto v Arsenal

AC Milan v Man Utd

Bayern Munich definitely the dark horses after this draw, can see CSKA beating Sevilla. I just dont want the nightmare of United vs Milan being 0-0, 2nd leg, last minute at Old Trafford, Milan get freekick 25yards out, and Beckham takes it B)

My Predicted Winners Are Bold:

Stuttgart v Barcelona

Olympiakos v Bordeaux

Inter Milan v Chelsea

CSKA Moscow v Sevilla

Lyon v Real Madrid

Porto v Arsenal

AC Milan v Man Utd

You think the 2nd legs will be crucial then? seeing as your going for the teams that are playing 1st leg away to win..

Its always better to play at home in the 2nd leg' date=' ALWAYS.[/quote']

Yeah i know that, what im saying is Isnt anyone going to take the win in the first leg? and then keep it safe in the second? its basically all the teams that finished 1st in there group he's saying are going to win, i want to see Lyon get a good result vs Madrid.. Barca will probley walk over Stuttgart but i aint predicting anything, would like to see Porto do well, but i like Arsenals team and think they'll win 5-3 on agg;)

It looks like a cracking draw. If all three English sides can get through then it'll be great.

I think that the home leg is very important. If you at least keep a clean sheet then you know that you have an advantage in that a score draw as well as a win will see you through. A home win and a clean sheet is a big bonus and that's why I'd rather have the first leg to be at home rather than away from home, where, if you've done at least one of the two things above, you're under less pressure. :)

It looks like a cracking draw. If all three English sides can get through then it'll be great.

I think that the home leg is very important. If you at least keep a clean sheet then you know that you have an advantage in that a score draw as well as a win will see you through. A home win and a clean sheet is a big bonus and that's why I'd rather have the first leg to be at home rather than away from home' date=' where, if you've done at least one of the two things above, you're under less pressure. :)[/quote']

Yeah, whats the best game going to be? AC vs Manchester united, or Inter vs Chelsea?

Yeah exacly... but i think one the teams that are playing away in first leg will go out atleast 1...I want to see a big game in the quarters.. something like United vs Madrid, Chelsea vs Barcalona, Lyon vs Inter Milan;) depending on who goes through the last 16.

If all three English sides can get through then it'll be great.

Not for me. I hope they all crash and burn. I'm bored of these monotonous European Cups where English clubs dominate the semi-finals. Cynical? Perhaps, but give us a different match-up in the latter stages for a change, please.

Not for me. I hope they all crash and burn. I'm bored of these monotonous European Cups where English clubs dominate the semi-finals. Cynical? Perhaps' date=' but give us a different match-up in the latter stages for a change, please.[/quote']

I surpose, but Id like to see wither Chelsea/Manchester united vs Lyon/Bordeaux Real/Barca vs AC/Inter in the semi's that would be fair enough.. but there wont be 4 english clubs in the semi's now, Maximum of 3.. but i see where your coming from Andy..

Not for me. I hope they all crash and burn. I'm bored of these monotonous European Cups where English clubs dominate the semi-finals. Cynical? Perhaps' date=' but give us a different match-up in the latter stages for a change, please.[/quote']

Actually, I hope only Man Utd and Arsenal crash out:p.

I'm very much in the same kind of thought, though I wouldn't mind if one English club is in the CL final, as I know somewhere out there... wherever he is... it would put Platini's knickers in a twist. Having said that though about '1 English club making the final', I should never EVER want to see Arsenal their again, nor for them to win it, as we Spurs will never hear the end of it! :o Chances of that happening are VERY slim anyways. :D

It's interesting that you say that. If it was the same but with Italian or Spanish sides would you, out of curiosity, have the same opinion?

Also I second what someone said about getting on Platini's nerves though. That would be quite funny. :)

Anyone else noticed the dates?

AC Milan (ITA) v Manchester United FC (ENG): 16 February/10 March

Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) v Real Madrid CF (ESP): 16 February/10 March

FC Bayern München (GER) v ACF Fiorentina (ITA): 17 February/9 March

FC Porto (POR) v Arsenal FC (ENG): 17 February/9 March

Olympiacos FC (GRE) v FC Girondins de Bordeaux (FRA): 23 February/17 March

VfB Stuttgart (GER) v FC Barcelona (ESP): 23 February/17 March

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) v Chelsea FC (ENG): 24 February/16 March

PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS) v Sevilla FC (ESP): 24 February/16 March

Two games a night. I can see this as a decision based purely on TV companies, I like it, means I can watch more live matches.

The ones in bold will be the live matches I'll be watching :D

It's interesting that you say that. If it was the same but with Italian or Spanish sides would you' date=' out of curiosity, have the same opinion?

Also I second what someone said about getting on Platini's nerves though. That would be quite funny. :)[/quote']

Hmm, interesting question. Probably not at first, as my problem lies deeper with the top clubs in England. But I'm sure if we had a similar situation to today, where 3-4 clubs were dominating from a different country over a long period of time, then it would begin to wear down on me.

The thing that gets me is that the current top 4 have been participating in the UCL for so long that they get the financial benefits year after year. This enables them to strengthen their squad enough to remain in the top 4 and stifles the chances of other clubs breaking through. I know that Villa, Spurs and Man City are banging on the door right now, but I'll my breath until after they fall by the wayside, just like Villa did last season. All in all, the EPL is far too predictable for my liking and that's why I resent the fact that English sides do so well in Europe.

Hmm' date=' interesting question. Probably not at first, as my problem lies deeper with the top clubs in England. But I'm sure if we had a similar situation to today, where 3-4 clubs were dominating from a different country over a long period of time, then it would begin to wear down on me.

The thing that gets me is that the current top 4 have been participating in the UCL for so long that they get the financial benefits year after year. This enables them to strengthen their squad enough to remain in the top 4 and stifles the chances of other clubs breaking through. I know that Villa, Spurs and Man City are banging on the door right now, but I'll my breath until after they fall by the wayside, just like Villa did last season. All in all, the EPL is far too predictable for my liking and that's why I resent the fact that English sides do so well in Europe.[/quote']

And yet (ironically) we strive to get to the same division as them and given the chance we would love our clubs to get in the top four and feed at the trough...

And yet (ironically) we strive to get to the same division as them and given the chance we would love our clubs to get in the top four and feed at the trough...

Haha, very true. Most are like that, but, with the state of the game right now, I'm very comfortable watching Championship football right now, and for a fair few years to come.

my prediction of the final 8 is...

MAN UTD-ac milan are havin a good season but wont be good enough to beat united

LYON-real madrid havn't worked well as a teasm this year in my opinion and lyon have, however there defence myt let them down but i'm confident it wont

BAYERN MUNICH- in my opinion fiorentina aren't goot enough to beat bayern and bayern beat them in every department

ARSENAL- porto are gonna give them A good game in both legs no doubt but i'm sure arsenal will just scrape it

BORDEAUX-they're having a really good season and olympiakos should be a walk in a park for them

BARCELONA-they have'nt been playing well recently in the champions league but nevertheless they SHOULD beat stuttgart

CHELSEA- it hurts to say(as im a man u fan) but i think chelsea will just about beat inter despite there recent defence crisis

SEVILLA- cska are the best in europe and have proved that they can cause problems in the group stages but sevilla have a really good strike wich should cause cska some problems