He is a midfielder, and is a regular for the Scotland Under-19 national team.

Start of the year he committed his future to Celtic by signing a four-and-a-half-year contract extension.

"He has been training with the first team recently and certainly doesn't look out of place," said Strachan.

Ferry, who turned 18 in January, has even been considered for the first-team bench.

Midfielder Ferry said: "I am delighted. Four-and-half years gives me the time to get to where I want to be in the first team and I am relieved to get the new deal signed.

"I've been up training with the first team almost every day this season and, to be given this deal, just shows that the manager has faith in me.

"It's been a great year for me so far and hopefully it will continue."

Tommy Burns said (a year ago); "Simon's a wonderful talent. He plays the game simple, gets loads of touches of the ball and can do everything. He could play in the reserves now . . . but there's every chance he could miss that out and go right into the first team".

Looks good to me, email SM this info perhaps plus any more you can dig out on him.

• 3 years later...

Re: Simon Ferry

Just a quick alert to any small teams: pick up
Simon Ferry
for a measly
as he's set to rise in the upcoming English rating changes. I don't know anything about him or whether he's a long term talent, but he's certainly a short-term money-spinner at the very least. Here are his stats for this season, where he is on loan at Swindon Town in League One from his parent club, Celtic:

Starts: 13

Sub Apps: 0

Total Mins: 1082

Goals: 1

Assists: 0

Discipline: 0Y, 0R

Predicted rise: +5/6 --> 75/76

Just a quick alert to any small teams: pick up
Simon Ferry
for a measly
as he's set to rise in the upcoming English rating changes. I don't know anything about him or whether he's a long term talent' date=' but he's certainly a short-term money-spinner at the very least. Here are his stats for this season, where he is on loan at Swindon Town in League One from his parent club, Celtic:[/indent']

Simon was always one of the better performers in our excellent reserve team that had won 9 titles in a row before this season when the league was abandoned.

I'd hope that when he comes back from his loan deal at Swindon he'd be given at least a chance in the first team as he has a big upside. However, when you see players like Paul Caddis struggling to make an impact then it casts a shadow over Simon's chances on his return. Which would be a great pity as he's a very good young player. As is Caddis btw. If he doesn't sign a new deal in January then he'll leave in the summer on a bosman and would be well worth monitoring as he has a lot of potential.

Incidentally, I haven't looked as I've just started back on SM but if James Forrest is on the DB then he's also worth a look. Best young prospect at Celtic(not including Islam Feruz), in the u-19's at the minute and murmurs of him edging ever closer to the first team squad.
  • 2 weeks later...

Can you provide a link for that info?

Cheers.

SIMON Ferry has revealed he wants to turn his newly-extended County Ground loan switch into a full-time deal and become a permanent addition to Town’s playing staff.

With his original spell set to expire at the start of January, parent club Celtic have agreed to let the midfielder remain on loan at Swindon until the end of the season.

But Ferry, who only agreed a new contract at Parkhead before his temporary move south, has set his sights on calling Wiltshire home for a lot longer.

SIMON Ferry has revealed he wants to turn his newly-extended County Ground loan switch into a full-time deal and become a permanent addition to Town’s playing staff.

With his original spell set to expire at the start of January' date=' parent club Celtic have agreed to let the midfielder remain on loan at Swindon until the end of the season.

But Ferry, who only agreed a new contract at Parkhead before his temporary move south, has set his sights on calling Wiltshire home for a lot longer.[/quote']

Cheers.

So Celtic have agreed to allow him to remain on loan for the season. Not sure where you're getting the 90% certain that he's going to switch to Swindon permanently in January from.