Formula 1

DariusHenderson7

Re: Formula 1

Very pleased with Rosberg getting on the 2nd row, after the Barrichello and Vettel penalties. Shame Nakajima couldn't quite make the 3rd session, as the Williams looked much stronger with race fuel in (6th or 7th might have been possible if he was a tenth quicker in Q2). Rosberg says he's aiming for the podium too, which suggests he probably isn't running much lighter than others around him (we'll see when they publish the car weights).

Alonso is actually 9th, not 8th, as Barrichello only got a 5 place penalty. Still did well to be ahead of one of the BMWs and both McLarens though, considering this years Renault looks about as bad as the McLaren so far.

Can't see Hamilton being anywhere near the points tomorrow, unless rain mixes up the results. Vettel and maybe Massa will be the ones moving through the field this time.

Looking at how things have gone so far, I'd probably put this year's cars in this order (fastest to slowest):

Brawn

Toyota

Red Bull

Williams

BMW

Ferrari

Renault

McLaren

Toro Rosso

Force India

Looking at how things have gone so far' date=' I'd probably put this year's cars in this order (fastest to slowest):

Brawn

Toyota

Red Bull

Williams

BMW

Ferrari

Renault

McLaren

Toro Rosso

Force India[/quote']

About right I'd say - I think Ferrari are about as quick as BMW - they have just had some reliability issues and made costly errors (Massa today being a prime example).

I'd expect them and BMW to be up the front within 2 or 3 races....if Brawn can develop their car at a similiar rate they could continue to dominate - whether that is possible will be key to the season IMO.

Yeah, I'd agree with BMW and Ferrari being equal, and I think it's reasonable to expect both to at least overtake Williams and match Vettel's pace within the next couple of months.

I think Brawn and Toyota might be a bit of an over-optimistic target for them, at the moment. As long as those two develop their cars at a reasonable pace (anything too special is impossible for any team, because of the new rules) and don't run into any problems, I'd expect them to be fighting for the constructor's championship at the end of the season.

I'm still not sure there's much advantage of running KERS, to be honest. Obviously it helps overtaking (assuming you're going past someone without KERS), but as far as general race pace goes, the jury is still out. Certainly doesn't seem to be helping Heidfeld too much, and the Ferrari's only seemed quick off the line in Australia because everyone else got slowed down by Barrichello.

I'm still not sure there's much advantage of running KERS' date=' to be honest. Obviously it helps overtaking (assuming you're going past someone without KERS), but as far as general race pace goes, the jury is still out. Certainly doesn't seem to be helping Heidfeld too much, and the Ferrari's only seemed quick off the line in Australia because everyone else got slowed down by Barrichello.[/quote']

You could really see KERS working in Australia, in overtaking scenarios it was a very useful tool whether you were attacking or defending - but as you say that only really applies if one car has KERS and another doesn't. As and when they all have it it won't be anywhere near as noticeable - the only interesting thing then will be when to use it in a lap, or if you find yourself in an overtaking scenario having already used it on that lap.

I agree it makes very little difference on general race pace - after all the top 3 or 4 teams in terms of pace aren't using it. It makes you wonder if McLaren or Ferrari would be a bit quicker if they'd spent less time on KERS and more on their basic car design.....

Hamilton's a twonk. He is a 24 year old man; he can make his own decisions. If someone told me to cheat' date=' I'd bloody tell them to f off.

He's let down his fans, big time. I've certainly lost a lot of my respect for him.[/quote']

Agreed, finally someone with some sense along with Melb, who got banned..

Heidfeld bumped up to 2nd, Glock to 3rd. Trulli 4th, Barrichello 5th. Webber bumped up to 6th and Hamilton down to 7th.

What on earth...? It was changed based on positioning when they last crossed the line before the safety car, but Heidfeld was NEVER ahead of Glock and Webber sure as hell wasn't ahead of Hamilton at that point.

:confused:

What on earth...? It was changed based on positioning when they last crossed the line before the safety car' date=' but Heidfeld was NEVER ahead of Glock and Webber sure as hell wasn't ahead of Hamilton at that point.

:confused:[/quote']

It was the last complete lap before the red flag, not when the SC came out (which was 1 lap before that, I think?). A lot of drivers came in around then to change tyres (Heidfeld didn't), which messed up the order a bit. Heidfeld had only made 1 stop when the red flag came out, compared to 3 or 4 for most drivers. He WAS actually between Button and Glock when the race was stopped (maybe you thought he was a lapped car?), although was probably due in, so if the race was stopped a couple of laps later he might have been outside the points.

It was the last complete lap before the red flag' date=' not when the SC came out (which was 1 lap before that, I think?). A lot of drivers came in around then to change tyres (Heidfeld didn't), which messed up the order a bit. Heidfeld had only made 1 stop when the red flag came out, compared to 3 or 4 for most drivers. He WAS actually between Button and Glock when the race was stopped (maybe you thought he was a lapped car?), although was probably due in, so if the race was stopped a couple of laps later he might have been outside the points.[/quote']

Was it the red flag? I'm sure Brundle said the safety car.