Formula 1

DariusHenderson7

Re: Formula 1

Was it the red flag? I'm sure Brundle said the safety car.

Brundle probably assumed the SC and red flag both happened on the same lap (also' date=' there's no overtaking behind the safety car).

I just had a read of the rules, and it appears that in a red flag situation, the race result is rolled back to 2 laps before the red flag (same thing happened at Interlagos in 2003, if you can remember that far back). The safety car came out on lap 32. Then the race was stopped on lap 33. The result is therefore determined by the positions at the end of lap 31.

Got a bit confused myself over what actually happened and when, but the result they gave is right. :o

These are the official timings at the end of the race, and position changes before that taken from formula1.com:

[img']http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/schuldiner86/malaysiaresults.png[/img]

malaysiaresults1.png

EDIT:

That shows how much the weather influenced the results, actually. This was the order before the rain messed things up, with positions gained or lost after this in brackets (green for up, red for down):

1 Button

2 Rosberg (6)

3 Trulli (1)

4 Barrichello (1)

5 Heidfeld (3)

6 Webber

7 Hamilton

8 Massa (1)

9 Piquet (4)

10 Glock (7)

11 Nakajima (1)

12 Vettel (3)

13 Alonso (2)

14 Raikkonen

15 Bourdais (5)

16 Buemi

17 Fisichella (1)

18 Sutil (1)

• 2 weeks later...

Well earlier this week the FIA ruled that the diffuser used by Brawn, Toyota and Williams is legal.

I am guessing the other teams will try to build something similar now but until then it is damage limitation. Although the vast difference in pace between those with diffusers and those without them means that is going to be difficult.

Well earlier this week the FIA ruled that the diffuser used by Brawn' date=' Toyota and Williams is legal.

I am guessing the other teams will try to build something similar now but until then it is damage limitation. Although the vast difference in pace between those with diffusers and those without them means that is going to be difficult.[/quote']

its not all about diffusers though

Red Bull doesnt have one yet its right up there...

Well earlier this week the FIA ruled that the diffuser used by Brawn' date=' Toyota and Williams is legal.

I am guessing the other teams will try to build something similar now but until then it is damage limitation. Although the vast difference in pace between those with diffusers and those without them means that is going to be difficult.[/quote']

McLaren & Renault will be running modified diffusers this weekend and it appears to have already had a positive improvement on McLarens car as they were slightly quicker than they have been in practice this morning.

I think too much has been made of the diffuser issue though - bear in mind Red Bull are looking very competitive without a double decker diffuser and that Brawn are much quicker than the other teams who have one. It's important yes, but not the be all and end all.

Also interesting to see Ferrari drop KERS for the weekend - I suspect that's because they have much bigger aerodynamic issues to solve!

China is a track where KERS will come in handy though - with that seemingly neverending back straight....McLaren will benefit from it as their KERS system at least seems better than everyone elses!

I was surprised Red Bull complained because, as you say, they have been competitive.

Obviously the diffuser is not the deciding factor but it plays its part. Can we honestly say Brawn would be as quick as they are without it?

Let's just hope this whole saga diffuses quickly! :P Stupid joke I know.

Hopefully we (Red Bull) can pick up a few points this weekend. :)

I was surprised Red Bull complained because' date=' as you say, they have been competitive.

Obviously the diffuser is not the deciding factor but it plays its part. Can we honestly say Brawn would be as quick as they are without it?

Let's just hope this whole saga diffuses quickly! :P Stupid joke I know.

Hopefully we (Red Bull) can pick up a few points this weekend. :)[/quote']

I think everyone will catch up to Brawn as people may be able to create even better diffusers than Brawns.If red bull can stay in touch who knows i can see them and toyota right up there at the end of the season.

Mcclaren and Ferrari can do what they want but i just think Red Bull,Toyota and Brawn are well ahead of the rest

I was surprised Red Bull complained because' date=' as you say, they have been competitive.

[/quote']

I imagine with a "trick" diffuser Red Bull would probably be the class of the field so that's the reason for the complaint - although tbh the teams were just clutching at straws - they were outthought by Brawn, Toyota & Williams and couldn't handle it....

The diffuser is worth about half a second so Brawn would certainly still be competitive without it - just not as dominant as they have been......

I imagine with a "trick" diffuser Red Bull would probably be the class of the field so that's the reason for the complaint - although tbh the teams were just clutching at straws - they were outthought by Brawn' date=' Toyota & Williams and couldn't handle it....

The diffuser is worth about half a second so Brawn would certainly still be competitive without it - just not as dominant as they have been......[/quote']

well if Red Bull had it theyd have won the first 2 races

Half a second doesnt sound like a lot but add it up over 60 or so laps and its 30 seconds...

well if Red Bull had it theyd have won the first 2 races

Half a second doesnt sound like a lot but add it up over 60 or so laps and its 30 seconds...

In F1 terms half a second is plenty - teams would spend millions in order to find an extra half a second!

Vettel was impressive in Australia and would have been on the podium had he not got tangled up with Kubica, and then the penalty he recieved for that compromised his race in Malaysia....i'd expect him to be up there this weekend

I was surprised Red Bull complained because' date=' as you say, they have been competitive.[/quote']

part of the reason is because they have to completely redesign their rear end to fit the new diffuser (something to do with the rear suspension system that they're using) so the downside for them is that it will take them longer to incorporate the new diffusers and the other teams who can more easily incorporate it and have new rear ends in place (mclaren, renualt, bmw) will gain on them and possibly be faster than them (in the case of renault and bmw)

part of the reason is because they have to completely redesign their rear end to fit the new diffuser (something to do with the rear suspension system that they're using) so the downside for them is that it will take them longer to incorporate the new diffusers and the other teams who can more easily incorporate it and have new rear ends in place (mclaren' date=' renualt, bmw) will gain on them and possibly be faster than them (in the case of renault and bmw)[/quote']

Tee-hee, rear end. *Snicker*

Interesting how Brawn are clearly the best in normal conditions but as soon as the rain falls Red Bull take over...

McLaren appear to have taken big steps forward aswell. Shame for Force India - on for 2 or 3 points before Sutil lost it at Turn 5.

Enjoyable race - well done to 17 drivers for finishing it in horrendous conditions - but especially to Red Bull obviously!

Bump :P

Anyone watching qualifying? Amazing how they followed the awesome title track with the sugababes..... :o

Anyway, we should see a clear pecking order develop this weekend seeing that rain is nearly impossible in Bahrain & the safety is unlikely to be seen given the track layout.

I can see the Brawns returning to the front in the race, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Red Bulls and Alonso go light in Q3 and qualify on the front row - which should make it an exciting race.

Also expecting Toyota to be up there and McLaren to show some more improvement - and Ferrari to be nowhere again - I love it :o

agreed thats why not im getting ahead of myself' date=' the thing is though the toyotas seemed to be miles ahead of the rest of the field[/quote']

Think it's very close - Toyotas boss just admitted that they ran quite light in Q3 so they certainly aren't miles ahead.

Trulli has a chance if he stays ahead off the line but when things start going wrong he doesn't like it.

Vettel or Button for me....

Cannot really tell who is where until they release the fuel loads.

I think Brawn are running heavier than the norm

I think Toyota are running lower than the norm

and Vettel is somewhere in the Middle, i am not quite sure but I think he has a spare set of super softs from Q2.

Glock/Vettel/Button for me, got a feeling Trulli isn't going to show up.

Cannot really tell who is where until they release the fuel loads.

I think Brawn are running heavier than the norm

I think Toyota are running lower than the norm

and Vettel is somewhere in the Middle' date=' i am not quite sure but I think he has a spare set of super softs from Q2.

Glock/Vettel/Button for me, got a feeling Trulli isn't going to show up.[/quote']

Button said after qualifying that he wasn't running particularly heavy - I'd agree that they are heavier than Toyota but fuel corrected I don't think there will be much in it at all....which should make it an exciting race :)

Webber was unlucky after being blocked by Sutil. Odd situation - Webber went offline to avoid Sutil but then Sutil decided to go offline aswell - far too late!

Button said after qualifying that he wasn't running particularly heavy - I'd agree that they are heavier than Toyota but fuel corrected I don't think there will be much in it at all....which should make it an exciting race :)

Webber was unlucky after being blocked by Sutil. Odd situation - Webber went offline to avoid Sutil but then Sutil decided to go offline aswell - far too late!

Sutil to get away from a penalty, Webber cud use tomorrow for testing :P

Sutil to get away from a penalty' date=' Webber cud use tomorrow for testing :P[/quote']

I cannot believe that he has gotten away without a penalty. This shows how inconsistent and idiotic the stewards are. I reckon that Sutil was not even on a flying lap so what on Earth when Webber, who is clearly going faster on a hot lap and trying to go past him, he does not allow him to go thorugh not once, but twice! That cost Webber the best part of half a second and probably his weekend now. I would have been fuming if Sutil actually went to Q2 but he did not.

I'm really chuffed about Vettel though. Well done to him. :)