Formula 1

DariusHenderson7

Re: Formula 1

Hehe' date=' that seems like a fairly safe bet anyway, I'd of took that one on.[/quote']

It was only looking dodgy when Sutil was carving his way through the midfield half way through the race, but luckily Rosberg pitted 3 laps later and came out ahead of him, and with Glock & Webber in between them.

There's money to be made if you know what you're doing ;)

I think the crash temporarily livened up what was, in truth, a fairly boring race. It was, of course, pleasing to see Giancarlo Fisichella push Raikkonen right up until the finish line (I don't really remember a closer finish than possibly Australia this year when they finished behind the safety car.

I do agree with what Eddie Jordon and David Coulthard said today that today was a big day in Formula 1 because for once, a team without the lavish amounts of money to spend was up at the top end of the grid.

I think the crash temporarily livened up what was' date=' in truth, a fairly boring race. It was, of course, pleasing to see Giancarlo Fisichella push Raikkonen right up until the finish line (I don't really remember a closer finish than possibly Australia this year when they finished behind the safety car.

I do agree with what Eddie Jordon and David Coulthard said today that today was a big day in Formula 1 because for once, a team without the lavish amounts of money to spend was up at the top end of the grid.[/quote']

Agree that it's great for the sport.

Fisichella wasn't really pushing Raikonnen though. He was probably quicker but didn't want to fall off the road trying to pass, and I don't blame him. He was only getting past if Kimi made a mistake....which to Raikonnens credit he didn't do.

Agree that it's great for the sport.

Fisichella wasn't really pushing Raikonnen though. He was probably quicker but didn't want to fall off the road trying to pass' date=' and I don't blame him. He was only getting past if Kimi made a mistake....which to Raikonnens credit he didn't do.[/quote']

Martin Brundle rightly pointed out that even if Fisichella did get alongside or even ahead of Raikkonen, Raikkonen would just use KERS to pass him again. And the track isn't exactly short of fast straights.

F1 launches Singapore race probe

Now this is interesting' date=' if true. Renault have already been in trouble with the upper hierachy recently so this won't exactly help their cause if it is found that that is true.

Thoughts?[/quote']

Interesting, but the FIA have access to all the team radio broadcasts, so I can't see how the team could have relayed the message to Pique tbh.

Funny how this "new evidence" comes to light after he's been dumped.

I know they sometimes communicate in preset "codes" to their drivers over the radio, normally to do with strategy etc. but I can't see a team having a pre-determined "code" which when relayed to the driver means crash!

Don't think anything will come of it, simply as there's too much time passed since the incident more than anything, and I dare say any "evidence" will probably come from Pique himself or any other recently deposed Renault employees (Spurned ex-employees are hardly the most reliable and impartial of sources tbh) and also, with it not having any adverse effect on the outcome of the drivers championship (In the GP Hamilton finished 2nd but Massa was 13th) there's no real pressure from any teams, other than maybe a team who if they'd scored more points would have gained more constructors money by finishing higher - which also wasn't the case as Renault finished the season 24 points clear of next placed Toyota, again though, this result didn't realy affect any other outcomes in the constructors standings.

Done a little research, and the only thing i can find from which Renault gaining points from this race would have affected anything in any way is the drivers standings further down, as in the end Alonso finished 5th on 61 points with Heidfeld of BMW a point behind and Kovalainen on 53 in 7th, but with BMW quitting this year there's really no point them arguing either, even in the race Heidfeld finished only 6th and Kovalainen 10th and out of the points, and I don't see with them finishing that far down how an argument that either of them would have eventually finished ahead of him without the safety car incident would hold any water tbh.

Storm in a teacup methinks B) Mind you, after all that's gone on up to now this season, nothing would surprise me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8229556.stm

Giancarlo Fisichella is poised to make a temporary switch to Ferrari ahead of next month's Italian Grand Prix.

Confirmation of the Force India driver's move could come on Tuesday, a source close to Ferrari told BBC Sport.

Force India commercial director Ian Phillips told Radio 5 live on Monday: "We do expect a move will probably be made in the next 24 hours or so."

Fisichella would replace Luca Badoer, who has struggled as a replacement for the injured Felipe Massa.

Badoer, Ferrari's official reserve driver, was drafted in to replace the injured Felipe Massa after legendary seven-time F1 champion Michael Schumacher was forced to shelve his comeback plans.

Massa is recovering at home in Brazil after suffering a fractured skull in a crash during qualifying at the Hungarian Grand Prix in July.

The 28-year-old is targeting a return at the Brazilian Grand Prix on 18 October, but there is speculation that Massa will not be able to race until at least next season.

Ferrari are believed to have run out of patience with Badoer, who has qualified last at both of his races so far.

While Raikkonen won Sunday's race at Spa, Badoer trailed in last, nearly 48 seconds slower than the driver in front.

The Italian GP is on the 13 September, followed by Grands Prix in Singapore and Japan, before the teams head to Brazil.

Phillips added: "Nobody's asked us yet but I think it's pretty likely that somebody will make a phone call to (Force India team boss) Vijay Mallya over the next 24 hours or so asking if we would release him to Ferrari.

"I don't think they [Force India] have really got any options [but to release him].

"Ferrari being Ferrari, it's their home race at Monza, which is a place with a cauldron-like atmosphere, particularly for the Italians - seats will be thrown on the track if Ferrari aren't doing well.

"So they're going to have to put sombody in there who can basically run around with Raikkonen at the front of the field."

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said on Sunday: "With regard with what we are going to do for the next races we will tell you in the next three days.

"We are going to take all into consideration. It depends how the medical check-up that Felipe will do tomorrow (goes) and then we will put on the table all the different things. And then we will make a decision."

Fisichella told BBC Sport at the Belgian Grand Prix that it would be a "dream" to drive for Ferrari, but did not confirm that he had been approached.

The 36-year-old Italian's manager, Enrico Zanarini, told BBC Sport on Sunday that Ferrari had not been in contact.

"Nobody's been in touch," Zanarini said. "We find ourselves in a fantastic team with a great car for Monza because if the car is quick here it will be quick in Monza."

If he does move to Ferrari, Fisichella would drive only as a replacement for Massa - double world champion Fernando Alonso will switch to the team for 2010, although the Spaniard's move has not yet been confirmed.

Fisichella's contract with Force India runs out at the end of the 2009 season.

Force India would likely promote their reserve driver Vitantonio Liuzzi if Fisichella moved on.

Seeing as this is looking nailed-on now, it will be interesting to see who fills the Force India seat, considering yesterday proved they are going to be competitive on a high speed circuit, it would seem illogical for them not to try and get a known driver who can be competitive in order to carry the momentum from yesterday into the upcoming GP's.

Bit of a catch 22 for poor Giancarlo. Being Italian, in the "twilight years" of his career and getting the call from Ferrari, but coming at the worst possible time, when the team he's been at, the novices of F1, and a chance to be the spearhead of this charge by the "little team" on the grid, so often toiling at the back and making up the numbers. The choice must be a very big headache, drive for Ferrari, or genuinely compete against them. :confused:

It will also be interesting come the end of the season how the driver merry-go-round pans out.

You've got Alonso going to Ferrari seemingly, probably at the expense of Kimi, who could quite conceivebly go the other way. You've got Rubens, who there is speculation about leaving Brawn due to their apparent bias towards Jenson, which obviously makes him available to snap up, as well as the 2 BMW drivers if no buyer is sought before they drop out. Then there's the new teams also and they'll be itching to get one established driver in each to raise the teams profiles from the offing.

It's probably one of the most exciting years in F1 I can remember and I've been watching for best part of 18/19 years and probably before that but I was too young to realise!! Long may the unpredictability continue :D

Seeing as this is looking nailed-on now' date=' it will be interesting to see who fills the Force India seat, considering yesterday proved they are going to be competitive on a high speed circuit, it would seem illogical for them not to try and get a known driver who can be competitive in order to carry the momentum from yesterday into the upcoming GP's.[/quote']

liuzzi's their test driver and he'd probably get the nod seeing as he's rumoured to have the drive at force india next season (and also fisi's rumoured to have a ferrari test driver contract for next year too)

liuzzi's their test driver and he'd probably get the nod seeing as he's rumoured to have the drive at force india next season (and also fisi's rumoured to have a ferrari test driver contract for next year too)

I was aware Liuzzi was testing for them, but in all honesty, they've proved that with the right driver (Sutil was pants btw!) the car can be competitive, surprised they don't move for someone who was in an F1 car recently and competitive, Alex Wurz springs to mind, in order to get the best out of what is undoubtedly a good car in the right hands.

I was aware Liuzzi was testing for them' date=' but in all honesty, they've proved that with the right driver (Sutil was pants btw!) the car can be competitive, surprised they don't move for someone who was in an F1 car recently and competitive, Alex Wurz springs to mind, in order to get the best out of what is undoubtedly a good car in the right hands.[/quote']

Whats Sato like these days? he wasnt bad before.

+ there is Mclaren test driver De La Rosa if they let him go for half a season.

EDIT: plus i dont think Sutil is that bad as proven in other races. overshadowed in this race by Fischella.

I was aware Liuzzi was testing for them' date=' but in all honesty, they've proved that with the right driver (Sutil was pants btw!) the car can be competitive, surprised they don't move for someone who was in an F1 car recently and competitive, Alex Wurz springs to mind, in order to get the best out of what is undoubtedly a good car in the right hands.[/quote']

Harsh on Sutil, he got caught up in something just after La Source which dropped him back a few places and he managed to make his way to 11th and with a bit more luck could have scored a point or two.

Wurz was far from competitive towards the back end of his F1 career and that's why he stopped racing and went into test driving.

Luizzi will get the nod and Fisichella will wind up back there next season I imagine. Can't blame him for going to Ferrari at this stage though, it must be a dream come true for any italian.

I have a feeling we won't be seeing Massa for a while, so expect to see Alonso & Raikonnen at Ferrari next season, which could be interesting if Kimi continues to show this form.

The Renault thing is interesting, it did seem highly convenient at the time that Piquet crashed to essentially give Alonso the win but as someone said below the FIA have access to all radio transmissions so it would be very hard to get away with.

Always some controversy or another going on though isn't there?! :o

Harsh on Sutil' date=' he got caught up in something just after La Source which dropped him back a few places and he managed to make his way to 11th and with a bit more luck could have scored a point or two.

Wurz was far from competitive towards the back end of his F1 career and that's why he stopped racing and went into test driving.

Luizzi will get the nod and Fisichella will wind up back there next season I imagine. Can't blame him for going to Ferrari at this stage though, it must be a dream come true for any italian.

I have a feeling we won't be seeing Massa for a while, so expect to see Alonso & Raikonnen at Ferrari next season, which could be interesting if Kimi continues to show this form.

The Renault thing is interesting, it did seem highly convenient at the time that Piquet crashed to essentially give Alonso the win but as someone said below the FIA have access to all radio transmissions so it would be very hard to get away with.

Always some controversy or another going on though isn't there?! :o[/quote']

In all fairness, the reason I was slating Sutil is that he didn't do anywhere near as well in qualifying with the same car under him as the one that was sat on pole ;)

Wurz did alright as far as I remember and If I remember rightly got a podium in a donkey of a car in his final season, and most of his retirements were mechanical rather than driver error.

With Massa, apparently he was hopeful of driving in Brazil this season, but even so I think they'll tell him to rest and come back for next year.

What people don't realise about the alleged "cheating" is that he crashed on lap 13 of a 60-odd lap race, it's not as if it was 5 laps from the end and the safety car brought them home sort of thing. I agree the circumstances of it all does make it look a bit fishy though.

In all fairness' date=' the reason I was slating Sutil is that he didn't do anywhere near as well in qualifying with the same car under him as the one that was sat on pole ;)

Wurz did alright as far as I remember and If I remember rightly got a podium in a donkey of a car in his final season, and most of his retirements were mechanical rather than driver error.

With Massa, apparently he was hopeful of driving in Brazil this season, but even so I think they'll tell him to rest and come back for next year.

What people don't realise about the alleged "cheating" is that he crashed on lap 13 of a 60-odd lap race, it's not as if it was 5 laps from the end and the safety car brought them home sort of thing. I agree the circumstances of it all does make it look a bit fishy though.[/quote']

But Alonso had a very heavy fuel load when the accident happenned and everyone ahead of him were due their first stop. Yes he had a lot of work to do from there but he wouldn't have won the race had Piquet not dumped it.

It's easy to dismiss it as Piquet beign bitter but it's clear he was never given a proper go at Renault - everything was geared around Alonso and to that end it wouldn't surprise me if they were found guilty.

Wurz did score a podium in Canada in his last season but it was a highly attritional race and his team mate Rosberg thrashed him. He is an excellent car developer but lacks raw pace. He will probably be back in F1 next season but with one of the new teams who would certainly benefit from his experience.

But Alonso had a very heavy fuel load and had jumped from the middle of the pack to the front when he crashed. Yes he had a lot of work to do from there but he wouldn't have won the race had Piquet not dumped it.

It's easy to dismiss it as Piquet beign bitter but it's clear he was never given a proper go at Renault - everything was geared around Alonso and to that end it wouldn't surprise me if they were found guilty.

Wurz did score a podium in Canada in his last season but it was a highly attritional race and his team mate Rosberg thrashed him. He is an excellent car developer but lacks raw pace. He will probably be back in F1 next season but with one of the new teams who would certainly benefit from his experience.

The 2 bits in bold:

* Was Pique expecting anything else as a newcomer? And if he was that much of a "talent" he'd have done what hamilton did and put Alonso's nose well and truly out of joint by matching him race by race in the same car. It's too late to write him off, and he'll probably have a drive next year, but I think he was a victim of stepping up to the big-time and not being ready for it, the surname being the biggest factor in that. If he was a complete unknown and a 1st generation driver, there's no way he'd have been in F1 by now, I watched a lot of GP2 and saw him racing against Hamilton and Hamilton was by far the better driver in a worse car in all honesty, and even then made Pique, who was in arguably a better car look ordinary with the ease in which he overtook him, with basic manouvres at times where the lines Hamilton was taking could easily have been defended.

* This is why I think he'd be the better option, tap into that experience for the last 5 races, the regulations apart from no refuelling aren't changing that much for next season, so if he can get a tenth more out of the car, maybe with him racing with a full tank to see how the car copes with tyre wear etc in anticipation of next year he could become an invaluable tool for them in their aim of being competitive within F1.

The 2 bits in bold:

* Was Pique expecting anything else as a newcomer? And if he was that much of a "talent" he'd have done what hamilton did and put Alonso's nose well and truly out of joint by matching him race by race in the same car. It's too late to write him off' date=' and he'll probably have a drive next year, but I think he was a victim of stepping up to the big-time and not being ready for it, the surname being the biggest factor in that. If he was a complete unknown and a 1st generation driver, there's no way he'd have been in F1 by now, I watched a lot of GP2 and saw him racing against Hamilton and Hamilton was by far the better driver in a worse car in all honesty, and even then made Pique, who was in arguably a better car look ordinary with the ease in which he overtook him, with basic manouvres at times where the lines Hamilton was taking could easily have been defended.

* This is why I think he'd be the better option, tap into that experience for the last 5 races, the regulations apart from no refuelling aren't changing that much for next season, so if he can get a tenth more out of the car, maybe with him racing with a full tank to see how the car copes with tyre wear etc in anticipation of next year he could become an invaluable tool for them in their aim of being competitive within F1.[/quote']

Alonso was always going to be the number one driver, and rightly so. But from what i have heard/read/seen they favoured him far too much.

The amount of testing Piquet was apparently given is laughable. Of course Alonso will develop the car faster, but to give Piquet so few laps and then sack him for poor results is ridiculous. I can't see Grosjean or any other young driver doing any better.

I am not saying I rate Piquet, far from it, but he does deserve another crack. One rumour I heard was the Nelson Piquet Senior was going to be involved in the purchase of BMW Sauber and make Nelson Jr one of his drivers. He will probably end up being favoured in much the same way Alonso is then :o

Force India will give the seat to Luizzi purely because he is next in line and already integrated into the team, hopefully he will do better than Badoer has managed at Ferrari. Luizzi has driven in F1 in the last 5 years so should do ok....

Alonso was always going to be the number one driver' date=' and rightly so. But from what i have heard/read/seen they favoured him far too much.

The amount of testing Piquet was apparently given is laughable. Of course Alonso will develop the car faster, but to give Piquet so few laps and then sack him for poor results is ridiculous. I can't see Grosjean or any other young driver doing any better.

I am not saying I rate Piquet, far from it, but he does deserve another crack. One rumour I heard was the Nelson Piquet Senior was going to be involved in the purchase of BMW Sauber and make Nelson Jr one of his drivers. He will probably end up being favoured in much the same way Alonso is then :o

Force India will give the seat to Luizzi purely because he is next in line and already integrated into the team, hopefully he will do better than Badoer has managed at Ferrari. Luizzi has driven in F1 in the last 5 years so should do ok....[/quote']

Unfortunately, the money they were paying Alonso means he will get preferential treatment, full stop, however right or wrong it is, and with regards to Pique snr buying BMW I hope it happens, at least the team is going into the hands of someone who knows the game rather than someone with money to throw about but no clue about the technical and tactical side.

I know Liuzzi will probably get the seat, my point is with the car performing so well, why not try for a driver who would do the car justice, rather than a driver who didn't justify the seat in the first place seeing he was the test driver ;)

Fisichella joins Ferrari

Fisichella will drive for Ferrari for the rest of the '09 F1 season before becoming their reserve driver for 2010.

Full Article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8231165.stm

Surprised he has chosen to be reserve driver and not race next year, he showed at the weekend that he is well capable of competing.

I guess the lure of Ferrari was just too strong, even if it is only as reserve driver. It also gives Ferrari a solid back up if Massa isn't back as quickly as hoped

Surprised he has chosen to be reserve driver and not race next year' date=' he showed at the weekend that he is well capable of competing.

I guess the lure of Ferrari was just too strong, even if it is only as reserve driver. It also gives Ferrari a solid back up if Massa isn't back as quickly as hoped[/quote']

Surprised about it myself. As you say he showed last week he is still a top driver, but he is 36 now and will be 37 before next season begins so retirement must be playing on his mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Renault have admitted guilt in the race fixing scandal, and Flavio Briatore & Pat Symonds have both left the team.

I would think that they knew the evidence would prove them guilty and have confessed in order to get the punishment reduced, a huge fine and expulsion from last years and this years championship is the least they deserve