The 18 player squad problem

In Gold Setups particulary this I believe is stopping people looking at or taking clubs, because regardless of money its a nightmare to put a decent squad together particulary in the older GC's.

So I propose that the minium limit of players is raised from 18 players to 22 players, to make future squads more attractive for potential managers to take over and manage, rather than have 100's of teams unmanaged with 18 players of limited ability in the ratings.

Re: The 18 player squad problem

Nice shout pluto, I've always been in favor of a squad size increase to be honest. 18 players is small, regarding the fact it only leaves you two players outside the subs bench for you to rotate with. 21/22 would be a good number IMO, that leaves you - starting 11, 5 subs, 5/6 squad players.

The only problem with Gold Champs at the minute is the amount of dead money lying around and SM need to somehow deal with this to make money more attractive to managers. All managers want is 2 player plus cash deals in GC's and this is impossible with an 18 player squad, even if you have 400 million like some unmanaged teams in the early gc's: 1-5 say.

Personally, I think they should put a limit on how many player exchanges you can do a season in GC's. Or possibly limit the rating of players you're able to exchange. There's got to be some way of making money more worthwhile in GC's.

As for the larger squad size, I agree for GC's but no other setup's.

I don't at all think that a club should allow their star player go for minimum chairman value when the club is unmanaged. It wouldn't happen with a manager so why should it happen just because there is no one to do the team's tactics?

The idea of making it 22 players is a very good one but would that still make managers want to manage it? Just by adding four more players? It's like adding 4 more 86 rated players in an unmanaged team, with all the star players snapped up for cut price deals.

One thing which should be sorted is the departure of star players for the amount paid from unmanaged clubs.

So good shout Sonofpluto.

But I guess this is only for Gold setups?

Have to admit it's one of the biggest problems in GCs and leaves whole hosts of teams unmanageable and emptier GCs which cannot be fun for anyone really. I quite like the idea you've suggested, although the detractors will argue a minimum squad size is unrealistic and we'll get into the age-old realism versus 'it's a game' scenario. Despite the attempts by SM to try and reduce the club raiding phenomenon with the 48hr club protection rules, job offers and the new transfer system, this problem still manages to raise it's ugly head. So I'm going to try and open out the discussion more and throw some ideas to debate (most will be unpopular, but oh well, someone's got to do it :D ):

1. Protect star players - when a manager leaves a club SM identifies it's star players and prevents any bids on them until a new manager is in place. This could be done in many ways. Perhaps by rating alone - the top 4 or 5 rated players. Secondly by chairman value (thereby protecting some of the younger talent). A third option could be by ruling out transfer of the top player in each position - GK, Def, Mid, Att. The star players could be displayed in another colour or with stars next to their name to ward of potential suitors. This may not prevent the club size from reducing to 18, but could do. But perhaps more importantly the best players will be protected ad squad players can be bought more easily :)

2. Increase chairman value - perhaps even double/triple the chairman value for all players at the club. Will put off many from raiding, but maybe will confer an advantage for the richer clubs, especially a few seasons into a GC. But I would argue the bigger clubs already have this advantage :)

3. 'Transfer block' - would be a totally new concept, but would involve blocking any player from transfer for a set-period once a certain number of bids have been made for him. How many bids, I don't know but leats argue 3 bids. For example, the Corinthians manager resigns and many managers eye up Lulinha. IF he remains at the club, Corinthians may get a new manager. But the inevitable action ensues and he gets bought before the new manager is in place. But if say 4 clubs make bids for him, I would propose he becomes transfer blocked for perhaps 10 turns. A bit like a transfer ban, but blocked in this case. Enough time for a new manager to join without having been shorn of its main asset. Would also solve the raiding before a rating change is due phenomenon with potential risers. Advantage is younger talents will also get protected but disadvantage maybe that it could be open for abuse by managers not wanting others to get their hands on these players.

4. Perhaps enforce the unable to buy from clubs within the set-up for GCs, much like you can do with set-ups. Would certainly solve the 18 player problem, but may stifle too much transfer activity in the flagship set-up.

5. Only allow exchanges with equal or higher rated players - No cash offers and exchanges only :eek: . May still lose some stars but will be left with reasonable squad sizes. Complex and may benefit squads a range of player ratings rather than those with similar rated players.

Some food for thought along with Simon's proposal :) . The main problem with all of these ideas is the restriction on transfer activity, which many may not like. But the scourge of the 18 player squads and club raiding is something which needs addressing. Let's fill our GCS and try and keep them full for seasons too come as opposed to playing leagues with more than half the teams unmanaged. Perhaps, if we can enforce some solution to this problem and can find a way in which members are more willing to take older GC teams, GCs would not need to be made so often by SM :)