Most important attribute for a modern day footballer?

Most important attribute for a modern day footballer?  

1. 1.

• Pace/Speed
    • Power/strong build
    • Silky skills
    • Stamina
    • Intelligence
    • Tackling skills
    • Passing skills
    • Aerial ability
    • Diving/simulation

Modern day football is a much changed game from the game which I was used to when I was a wee lad. The time of long shorts, dodgy perms and crunching tackles which were not even recognised as foul :D . The best players came in all shapes and forms, referees were approachable and there was no modern technology to highlight any mistakes made by players or match officials. whilst the age old adage of 'you're too small to play football' still existed, there were few other stipulations for a footballer. It was a game which almost anyone could in theory excel at :) .

But the game has changed. Many say it's a faster game. Others argue it has become far too non-contact. Some say you must be a powerful unit too excel. Mistakes are highlighted more and are more costlier and for the club and individual involved (example of Riise and how he was ridiculed for a simple error or how referees are castigated for their errors :( ).

So I was intrigued when I read that Juventus and Ranieri decided against signing Xabi Alonso because he was too slow. It's interesting because in this day and age where the game has no doubt become more faster and helter-skelter, I had never noticed this attribute in his play. Whilst he openly admits his slowness (as viewers of Soccer AM will know), I personally don't feel it's ever hindered his game as his game is not based around based. He is an intelligent footballer and reads situations. What he lacks in pace he makes up with other aspects of his game.

It's clear that the greatest footballers will have a wide range of abilities and qualities. But in the modern day which quality is the most important. If there was one quality in particular you would want to improve in yourself which would you choose :confused:

Re: Most important attribute for a modern day footballer?

I would say the players intelligence is the most important thing now. They know where to be and are in the right place at the right time. They time their runs and know when to attack and when to defend. Especially with the older players to save their energy. Stamina is also important to last a whole game but its their intelligence that gets my vote.

I have no idea why but I went for player Intelligence. I think John Terry oozes player intelligence along with David Beckham, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard.

Tempted to go for Diving/simulation :rolleyes: in this day and age. When I watched Chelsea Vs. United last month, think it was Andy Gray pointed out: "This is now a non-contact sport".

We can't have that, how are you supposed to win the ball? Interceptions? Pathetic. Mike Riley is the perfect man to look at this season with his Babysitter ways.

As for Alonso. He is one of the best players on the liverpool team and I just think that Claudio Ranieiri is trying to praise his team by Saying Alonso isn't good enough.

I think that each position has different attributes which are more important. For instance if you are playing in one of the two wide midfield position you need to know how to get a free kick. I am not saying they have to cheat, they just have to know how make the defender foul them. Where as a defenders most important attribute is tackling but someone playing in a forward role doesn't really need that. So i think it can vary between positions.

Although in general i would say speed is the most impotant attribute for a footballer to have. This is because speed can get you out of a lot of tricky situations no matter how poor you are at other factors of the game. This is probably because you can learn most of the other things but speed is something you either had or you don't. So i would probably say speed. :)

Agree with a lot of what has been said so far :)

Diving/simulation was really put in there tongue-in-cheek, but it's clear that this is as much an art or skill as many of the other options and is certainly valued by certain coaches.

Also agree that in many ways it does depend on the position you're playing in. Certain position require the possession of certain skills over others. One not mentioned so far, but is sometimes perhaps overlooked is stamina. I'm amazed to see how much ground some of the players have covered during the duration of a match, something I've only really become aware of from the Champions league coverage we get. Some players can cover 15,000m in a match :eek: . Not to mention that many players now routinely play at least twice a week with the increased number of games and competitions.

Haven't got figures on me, but I'm pretty certain this may be close to double the distance covered by most players of yester-year. Most players these days cover several postions during the duration of a match, whereas 10-20 years ago, players generally stuck to their set-postions - wingers stayed on the wing, defenders stayed at the back except for set-pieces, forwards really helped out in defence (although some like Ian Rush tended to cover quite some ground just harassing defenders) etc. I wonder how some of the successful players of yester-year who weren't blessed with oodles of stamina would have held up in today's game :confused:

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Very hard to compare the players of yester year and the players of today. Different conditions provide different players. Money has had a lot to do with things and Football now is a multi million business whereas in the 60's and 70's players were getting paid not a lot more than skilled labour. So how can we compare the genius of say George Best with Lionel Messi under their different circumstances. I think that although the game is faster today, I'm not so sure that the present day Liverpool side would be a sure winner against the Liverpool teams under Paisley and Dalglish. I disagree with the message that read that speed is the main factor because "you can learn all the other stuff" You can't learn how to take a free kick the way Beckham does, if that were the case then 9 out of ten players today would be doing it. Stamina for me is the attribute most needed in today's game (assuming you have the skills) which can't be taught, only improved on.

Simply... None of the above...

I think attitude, although, that may technically come under intelligence...

If the player has the right attitude and wants to play for the playing and not for the paying, it will make a masive difference.... Top flight [players have the ability for sure but lower league players play for better reasons..... A lack of ability in the lower leagues is made up for by the ammount of effort and heart they put in. People will say thats got nothing to do with what makes a modern day footballer, but I think its everything to do with it.... I am going a bit off topic I know but hey....:o

Other than that it would have to be a mixture of 2 in the list Smarty has provided, you cant just be good at one thing these days.....

I agree a lot with Dai there. No attitude = no player. Someone could be an absolute strategic mastermind, but that doesn't mean he is suddenly good at football.:P

A strong attitude means the will to become a faster player, the composure to be a stong-built player, the creativity in showing off skills, the stamina to keep playing for the full 90 minutes, the determination to make a clean tackle, the good care taken when passing, the composure to fight in the aerial battles, and sometimes even the nasty desire to dive.

Intelligence does still play a role, one that's just about equal to attitude. There needs to be both to produce a great player.

Defiantly Intelligence as managers nowadays can counter everything from pace and power to skills and body strength what they cant do is counter intelligence as we have seen its just takes a split second intelligent pass or dummy or a run and finish to win the game rather than other things.

Im not saying they arnt improtant but a player must be intelligent to make proper use of them :)

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

The original question by smartdoc was what is the most important quality in MODERN football. Top class players have always been "intelligent":Cruyff, Pele,Best etc, The difference between today's players is not skill or intelligence because top players have always had this. The game today has much more pace than ever before. The majority of top class teams win their matches in the last 10 minutes of a game, ie Man Utd and Arsenal are notorious for winning matches in the dying minutes of matches and why? Bottom line is attitude and stamina. It's no coincidence that this happens week in and out. The difference between winning and losing at premier level is minimal. But look at the top four clubs and see how often they pull a victory out of the bag in the final minutes of a game. It happens more than you think. Yes they need all the qualities mentioned in this thread, otherwise they wouldn't be playing top flight football, but more than ever, a player has to be fitter than before to withstand the severe demands of a much longer season of domestic and European football than at any other time in football history. So again, my answer has to be the quality needed more than ever for the modern footballer is Stamina and pace. All the other attributes go without saying or they wouldn't be playing at the top.

Great debate here imo.

For me vision is by far the best and most important thing to have in football, To name a few who have top quality vision : Torres,Lampard,Fabregas,Rooney.. This makes a modern day footballer great and if you don't have it your lost.

Although Speed and Pace is a hugely important factor as almost all players now have speed. Riera is the only player I can thing of who can get past people by technique alone usually its pace thats the deciding factor.

The other day I read an interesting blog by Tim Vickery on the BBC website about Riquelme. It went on to state that players of Riquelme's kind are of a dying breed; the slower, more intelligent players, whose usage of space and passing ability makes up for their lack of pace, are dying out, and being succeeded. This blog can be found here.

It's interesting to read the comments posted afterwards. They make some interesting points about pace vs technique, and the way that the game is played and how it affects players' styles.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Great debate here imo.

For me vision is by far the best and most important thing to have in football' date=' To name a few who have top quality vision : Torres,Lampard,Fabregas,Rooney.. This makes a modern day footballer great and if you don't have it your lost.

Although Speed and Pace is a hugely important factor as almost all players now have speed. Riera is the only player I can thing of who can get past people by technique alone usually its pace thats the deciding factor.[/quote']

I agree Danny but top class players have always had vision, Smartdoc asked what the modern footballer needs more in today's game. Footballers from every era have had vision, intelligence and all the other qualities that make them great, but I have to press that IMO stamina and pace are the two qualities that have had to be improved to play in today's MODERN game.

Guest joe black

I agree that Stamina is an important factor in todays game,having a good engine and being able to get from box to box will probably make a journey-man footballer a multi-millionaire,just look at Robbie Savage or Neil Lennon and i rest my case:p,but as far as im concerned pace,while an asset no doubt is not that important in todays game,there are loads of examples but Teddy Sheringham is prehaps the best,played,sat at the top table for years,won everything there is too win at club level and played until he was 40

He was abw to do this cos he never had pace........ever,Owen is the same barring injuries he could play til he is 40

Other players who rely on pace will lose it as they get older and go downhill quickly when they cant skin the full-back and whip the ball in anymore

Stamina is a must in todays game whereas pace would be a bonus;):)

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

England world cup captain Bobby Moore was one of the best footballers of his or any other time ( hard to say when your a Scot lol) But with all due respect to the late great man, he would not have survived in today's game playing the way he did. He would have had to improve on stamina and pace, The game in his day was not the power and pace of today and as good as he was, he and all the other greats of that era would struggle in today's league. Not because of lack of ability or intelligence or vision, They had all that, they would be overun by todays fast pace game and players of lesser ability like you mentioned (IMO) Savage and Neil Lennon would have found it hard to get a game if they played in those days, at least not at top level. Skill is skill and talent is talent, you can't change these things, all players of every era have had that but more than ever in today's game they need stamina because of the higher demand on them from playing sometimes double the games that the players of earlier generations ever played.

Guest joe black

Moore,Beckenbaur,Cryuff,Best,Eusibio,Riva......even Pele,the greatest players the game has ever produced would have been slow compared to todays players,with dietians, fitness gurus and sport physiologists,bet they are laughing there legs off at the thought of it,these guys where the "pint and pie" brigade,well the British contingent anyway.maybe thats why they are dead:rolleyes:

Different game now,cant say its improved much tbh,but then i would say that:p

I dont wanna confuse pace with speed,there has always been players that could catch pigeons,usually they where Wingers,Jimmy Johnstone a fellow countyman of yours,although i hate to say it was like lighting and you could add Davie Cooper to that list,but i suppose its just wishful thinking that the heroes of uesteryear could survive in todays game,but i would have loved to seen the players i mentioned(and a lot more) try

Nearly forgot to add Savage and Lennon to the list:p..........Mooreo and Bestie must be turnng in there graves;):)

Bob Pasiley won the league using 13 players,no rotation,if you didnt play it was cos of injury or you where dropped,those guys where playing 60+ games a season,the players today will play about half that maybe 40 if you are playing for the big 4

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Alf Ramsay changed football forever when England won the world cup in 1966. He introduced a "new formation"...4-3-3 prior to then football was basically 2-3-5 formation with two fast and pacy wingers skinning the full back and crossing the ball to the "usually" big centre forward to nod the ball in the net.

The players that Joe mentions above had an abundance of skill, of intelligence and vision but the game of football was a different animal from what it is today. And the one big factor that has changed is PACE. The game is much faster today Yes there have always been pacy footballers, but not in the way it is today. The midfield players of yesteryear(the engine room) could not play the way they did today and get away with it. Sure they had skill, vision and intelligence, maybe even more than today's players but today's players would run them ragged in the middle of the park. Skill, Intelligence and Vision have always been a part of a top footballers attributes from EVERY era, but in answering what Smartdoc originally asked, Today's footballers are faster, and fitter than ever before as they have to be for the vigours of their season. Intelligence has come up more than most on this debate... but players of today have no more intelligence than their predesessors, no more skill or vision but they do have STAMINA.

As regards Xabi Alonso, people may say hes too slow, but I dunno if you've seen the stats on CL games, but Alonso is always near the top of the 'distance travelled' table. If he ran about everywhere at full tilt, then he'd get knackered really quickly, so he conserves his energy, an intelligent choice. Also if he runs all guns blazing, then the opposition go on the counter-attack, he'll be left trailing in their dust. Pacey players, e.g. Walcott or Babel have less Stamina than Alonso, so often dont play an entire 90 minutes.

Most important attribute? None of those.

Consistancy/Confidence. Easily. A player lacking confidence, or who is inconsistant, will struggle to play well. Confidence is so important to football, and without you will usually become inconsistent, and no matter how good you can be, if you are not consistant you are not needed.

I personally have awful confidence when I play football... I easily get put down... and I am terrible inconsistant. Some days I play brilliantly (according to the other players and parents), others I play dreadful.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Confidence,Vision,Intelligence,attitude; all these attributes are needed whether you were playing fifty years ago or playing today. The one exception is stamina. The game has moved on since those halcyon days when footballers would have a few beers the night before then perform on a Saturday. Players would go through their paces mid morning in training then hit the snooker halls or the bookies because in the main they were jack the lads earning good money for playing the game they loved. Modern footballers could not exist living that kind of life in the present game, it has moved on so much since then. Am I saying there was NO stamina back then...no, but yesterdays players would have to step up to the plate to play in today's game whereas today's players would adapt to the old game better, and its all down to one thing STAMINA an pace and greater fitness.

Guest joe black

Game is a lot quicker today,no doubt about that and todays players have to be athletes where as back in the day ya would have got away with being fit,but a long time ago when i played we where always taught to "let the ball do the work" in other words dont run with it for 30 yards when you can pass it 30 yards,that way your boiler will still be going in the last 15 mins:p

I dont see any problem with the top players of yesteryear adapting to todays game as David says the players are super-fit now compared to 20-30 years ago but i think it would not be too hard to get into the rhythm of the game today,the first ten yards of any position are in your head,being at the right place at the right time is an art

Do i think my heroes ,like,Best,Charlton,Law,Greaves and Moore could play in todays game.....oh yes:D

Could,Lampard,Gerrard,Rooney(who is a throw-back to the 60's)and Ferdinand be able tp play in the 60's and 70's,thay are certainly skilful enough and they could run all day for ya,could they bend the old ball the way they can the modern day ball,dont think so,could they go up against Tommy Smith,Norman Hunter,Chopper Harris and take what those men handed out,dont think so,could they play fast flowing football on "ploughed fields",dont think so,could they even run in the boots they wore back then compared to the "carpet slippers" they wear today,dont think so:p

Stamina is the main difference between todays player and the old players and it is needed because of the pace of the game today and im first to admit that it would be difficult for the old players to adapt but by no means inpossible but i dont agree that todays players would find the older game easier,without a doubt they would be able to get from box to box quicker and more often but there are many facets to the game and i think some of the modern day players would struggle,superfit not withstanding

The best team ever to put on a football strip was the Brazil Team that won the 1970 World cup :P,followed closely by the French Team of 98.......Who would win if those 2 teams played????i think i would have my money on Pele and company without any hesitation,but that discussion is for another day:D

Great thread and great posts lads,could discuss this all day,but unfortunately i have other commitments;):)

To get this thread back OT,I think Stamina is the biggest assett a footballer can have,seems to me that its the first thing a manager looks for in a player in todays game,as they all have the other credentials;):)