STEVE IRWIN 'CROCODILE HUNTER' TRIBUTE THREAD

Yes i agree.

Steve (the crocodile hunter) irwin was an excellent Australian that optimises the Australian culture.

He worked and played hard, always managing to get a laugh in.

He had an uncanny ability to understand all animals especially crcodiles, wether to approach or not and he could literaly sit on them.

His death was under tragic circumstances, a stingray attackcausing him to go into cardiac arrest.

He was also a great family man and his wife and kids will hopefully push on in his footsteps and keep the zoo running.

Rest in piece Steve Irwin you a great Aussie bloke.

CRIKEY

look, lets be honest, if the bloke had any respect for the DANGEROUS animals he was dealing with he would have taken the proper precautions just like hundreds/thousands of divers who dive with rays and do not get killed, he would have worn a wet-suit or at least a shortie to protect himself, if someone dies in a car crash because they are not wearing a seatbelt which could have saved their life, they are not a hero they are an idiot- alright this analogy may not be totally correct but the more intelligent of you will undestand the point

if he was wearing a wetsuit(and i have seen and read no evidence to support this) if you could tell me where you obtained this information i would stand humbly and apologetically corrected, you would have thought that it would have been mentioned that it was a terrible accident despite him taking safety precautions yet the media reports i have read/seen only mention it as a tragic accident, for what it is worth i think he tried to 'ride' a stingray as many divers do each year without fatal injury but it took exception to this and stung him, if he had been wearing a wetsuit its barb would not have been strong enough to penetrate a wetsuit. don't get me wrong i think he was a larger than life charactor who did a lot of selfless work for australian wildlife and conservation in general yet this does not disguise his irresponsible attitude towards potentially fatal animals/fish

tribute to steve,he was a one off,great work with the animals.i don't think he was reckless as some suggest just a man passionate about his work and life with animals of all varities.

i am speaking from some experience here as myself and the wife run an animal shelter,rehoming cats,dogs,goats etc.there is some talk of steve not taking precautions with dangerous animals but each has their own way of dealing with the dangers in this kind of work.any animal can be dangerous even threated with respect,i should know have had a few serious bites over the years but the rewards are unmeasurable.SM is my bolt hole from this work as it is 24/7,we haven't had a holiday in 12 years since we started but i would not have it any other way,so here is to steve may he rest in peace cause he did a great job while he was here.

absolutly and power to your elbow for what must at times be an extremely distressing yet ultimatley rewarding job/livlihood(i am not suggesting you do it for the money), there is no substitute to seeing the inhumanity caused towards creatures that have no right of reply or are not in a position to defend themselves, so once again much respect to you